• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

open prairie coyote sniping cal, what would you ??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Fellas i am going to build me a fun rifle for long range coyote sniping. Here in illinois our coyote like to sit on there butts in the middle of our 1 mile square sections. I want to build a rifle that i can lay down and TRY to shoot these critters with. I am going to use a rem 700 action, possibly a Mcree stock (if i can find a used one) and a shilen barrel probably chrome moly. What i dont know yet is what chambering to go with. I dont want a 308, that much i know. I want something with long bullets with a high BC. I am thinking 243AI Or 260AI or a 284AI. Basically i am looking for an excuse to build a rifle even if my excuse isnt a very good one! LOL!! The winters are cold and usually windy here in these open plains so a high BC bullet is a must. I kinda want something Big. I have some formed 243AI brass doing a lot of nothing so maybe a 243AI with some 115gr Dtac's is the ticket?? On the other hand i have always wanted a 7mm? Now this is just a fun question so lets play! What would you use?? Lee

Re: open prairie coyote sniping cal, what would you ??

Lee...I've got the same idea. I'll be following this real close. I've also got a gob of .243 brass so the AI's real tempting. Trying to talk myself into something bigger though. 6.5x284 has always been tempting and no more often than a shot like your talking about presents itself round here, the barrel life wouldn't bother me too much. Late in the year, after the dogs get shot at a few times from trucks, they like to run out about 700 yds and sit down and watch.

243. They are not as tempermental as some of the others. Plus you will get 2x's the barrel life as the 284

Lee,
Have our friend in OK put a 260 together for you. He built me one for the same reason you want one for. There is a few less long range coyotes left up here since I got it dialed in.

The new 243AI I got back from Jon in Jan is looking promising also.

oldgrayone
So you think the 260 is shooting a bit better than the 243AI? What about a 260AI?? I think thats a pretty cool idea. I want something that i will feel when i pull the trigger. I have been playing with these benchrest rifles to much here lately and i need a change. I have a buddy that has a 300 weatherby ackley and those things look freaking killer!!!!! He said they boot the piss out of him though!! LOL!!!

PS Our friend in OK is the only man that works on my rifles!! Jon just won a big shoot down there somewhere last weekend. Call him up and tell him congrats!!! He beat David tubb as well at that shoot!! Jon Beanland is my Hero!!!!!!! Lee

Re: open prairie coyote sniping cal, what would yo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I want something that i will feel when i pull the trigger. </div></div>

Build a 338 edge or a 300 rum with a fat bastard break on it.

I've been playing with an edge here lately and LOVE IT!

I am still working with the 243AI. I have only had it to the range 3 times and I am limited to 100 yards down here in GA. The first 2 trips was for forming brass but it was shooting scarey little holes with some factory 243 stuff. Last trip was with some hand loads with the formed brass and looks good. Tomorrow I am going back with 2 more adjusted loads to see what I have.

Either way, the 243AI and the 260 are one holers which is expected from Jon. The 260AI sounds like a neat round. I have 2 stillers on order from the group buy and now you have me thinking.

I use a 243 for my coyote wacking stick.

I have always wanted a 260AI for some reason? I have had a couple 243AI in the past and i have some once fired brass. All i would have to do in run my expander down through the 243AI brass and neck it up to 6.5mm fl size add powder add bullet and off i go!! What ever i deceide it will be either a 243 or 260 Ackley. At least thats what i am thinking at the moment. 338 edge, HMMMM!! Thats got me thinking!! LOL!!! Lee

I like the fast twist .224's. 22-243, 22X47Lapua, 22-250AI Shoot the 75gr Amax or heavy Bergers.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">You will enjoy the .260AI a lot! Excellent long range round and easy to load for.

Bob </span> </span>

260 would be great, but why the extra recoil for a coyote getter. 243 you could double duty on smaller stuff too and go up to pronghorn and some deer.

115 Dtac, 585 BC at 3k+ is hard to beat on yotes.

'i'm thinking about the same choice. But I'm down to 6 crusader. 7saum. And 6.5x47 lapua

My 6.5 CM is pretty darn flat, 7.6 mils to 1,000 yards, and the wind drift is minimal as well. I'm shooting a 139 Scenar around 2900 FPS, no pressure at all.

I would love either a 6 or 6.5 284 for a similar task. it would be lots of fun

243 with 115 DTACS fits the bill nicely... however if this is a just for kicks gun that you've been wanting to put together for a while now, then get what you like and dont listen to the down sides of the smart and practical choice! haha. you said in your post that you "kinda want something big" - of the choices you provided, how about goin for that 284AI or that 7mm and letting her rip!

Open prairie, long range, shot little but carried alot in cold temps and high winds. Hmmm, I think your choice is a valid one with the 243 AI. But if it were me, and it will be once I finish my next project (223ai), I would go striaght 284 winchester but only because it would crossover to larger game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the fast twist .224's. 22-243, 22X47Lapua, 22-250AI Shoot the 75gr Amax or heavy Bergers. </div></div>

+1

Picture220.jpg

I have a custom Ruger #1 in .257AI & would highly recommend it as a varmint/deer cartridge. Jatienza was with me at the range & I think he could vouch as to how well she shoots! Anthony ....................
IMG_2673.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 243 you could double duty on smaller stuff too and go up to pronghorn and <span style="font-weight: bold">some deer</span>.

</div></div>

"some deer?"....Which ones won't it work on? There are no deer wearing kevlar around here. I've killed enough of them with the 223/223AI/22-250 that the 243 feels like a big rifle for them. Hell the coyotes seem to die tougher at times than deer....(grin)

I thought about a fast twist 22 as i dont currently have one, but i think the wind we have here in the winter will cause way to much drift. When it gets cold here in illinois its cold and im not going to be hiking through the water ways like i once did. The heater in my Jeep Commander feels quite nice! LOL!! These coyotes around here will just sit on there butts and look at you when they are way out there in the middle of these sections. There is plenty of time to stop get the boom stick out of the back and get positioned to take the long shot. The main problem i will have is knowing the exact range of these little critters. I killed one two years ago that i would have bet a weeks pay he was 500 yards out. I killed the dog with a 223 and when i went to retrieve him i turned to range the truck and it was only 362 yards. I was kinda bummed!!! LOL!! I will either have to buy a real high end range finder or learn to read the scope a bit better. I need a high BC Bullets fast and with as little drop as possible to make all this worth while. This isnt going to be as easy as it sounds, but it sure will be fun!! We have lots of coyotes in this area and the best rifle by far to hunt them is a little 16" AR rifle. But the little AR rifle doesnt get it done when they are a half mile out. The last coyote i shot at was about a half mile out with that little ar and i must have fired 20 rounds at his ass and never even scared him!! However the majority of these coyotes especially when they are in the rut are killed within 100 yards, maybe 200. Ive killed several truck loads of these over the past couple years, now i dont even want to mess with the close ones. I want to join the 700 yard plus club. that would be rewarding to me!! Thanks for all the opinions. I have enjoyed every one of them. I think Jason has it wright at this point. Maybe a 260AI either or. I did just run across a heck of a deal on a Long action rem 700 action thats in good condition. the fella wants 250 bucks for it and its in a fiberglass stock of some sort. he cant take pics so i really dont know if the stock is worth anything or not. I have never messed with long action remington's so i dont know what to expect if i still go with a short action chambering? Thanks again Lee

My next stick will be a 6.5x47 Lapua purpose built to wack those furry little bastards.

For a big, fast, flat 6mm I would suggest a 6mm Rem AI with the heavier 105-115gr bullets. Powder capacity is a little more than the 243AI, it shoots the same bullets, and believe it or not the barrel life is more akin to a 284. It has a much longer neck than the 243 which helps quite a bit.

If you already have components for something thats a big consiideration but if it's just the brass you might try offloading it and getting some new brass to go with a caliber you might really want.

I'm working on a similar idea that I can use for whacking 'chucks and still have a rifle that handles a long range duty and is also light enough to carry/walk around with. I'm using a #3 Shilen Chrome moly, long action 700, and 6 AI.

Good luck with your choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomme boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243. They are not as tempermental as some of the others. Plus you will get 2x's the barrel life as the 284 </div></div>

Where did you come up with that? Everything I've read about says that the 243 is 1/2 the barrel life as the 284. 2k rounds (ish) on the 243 vs. 3500-4k. The powder capacity isn't too much different, but the overbore ratio on the 243 is much higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"some deer?"....Which ones won't it work on? There are no deer wearing kevlar around here. I've killed enough of them with the 223/223AI/22-250 that the 243 feels like a big rifle for them. Hell the coyotes seem to die tougher at times than deer....(grin)</div></div>

Not to mention how your 243 bullets seem to "bounce off" of bobcats!!
grin.gif

In all seriousness, I think 243AI is where its at...you can seat the 105's out long and still get 3200-3300fps with the right powder.

If you do the 6mmRem AI you might want to think about doing it on a long action so you can take full potential of seating the bullet out for maximum case capacity.

Either one is a stone cold coyote killer and the 105 amax bucks the wind pretty well at those speeds.

I shoot a 6xc with 105's for everything, including long range coyotes. With that said, look at the 6mm LR... May be my next reamer.

270 Win, 6.5x284 for super long range. 6mm Rem, 22-250, 20 Tac for 400 yards and under. The 270 Win gets no respect on the tactical side, but it is one of the great 6-700 yard coyote rifles. Not sure why it has fallen by the wayside.

Because the lack of high BC bullets. I even have Berger VLD's for mine, but their BC isn't that high. 6.5 and 7mm both have better, so why bother?

Sounds like you've already had several .243AI's, and are jonesing for a .260AI. Might as well just do it.

JCH brought up the point that I meant to say, but forgot to mention. The 6 AI is not at home in a short action, a LA is almost a must in order to seat the long bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm Crusader with 115 DTAC. </div></div>

Isn't that an almost ballistic twin to the 6 Ackley? Not being a smartass, I'm looking at the way it's built and the velocities achieved and it seems like they're practically a pair.

The .270 shoots plenty flat for shots to 500 yards. Much flatter than the .308. The OP said Coyotes sit in the middle of mile sections. That is 880. Presuming he can get up to the edge that is 440. Not a problem at all for the .270. It is one of the worlds great medium range coyote cartridges. Larger cal and recoil becomes a problem. The 6's run out of steam at about 400 with generally avaiable bullets and barrel twist. 25's are not used much that leaves the 6.5x284 and 270 Win. if you do not want a magnum of some type. A Serria gameking BT 150 shoots plenty flat. I have see few who are undergunned with one of those two. Now I know that you will get out your calculators and show me great truth about the difference in the two but when you get out your rifles and shoot at coyotes, there is little to choose between them. BTW I bet 10 coyotes are killed at under 400 for everyone killed at over 400. Even in the most open country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6's run out of steam at about 400 with generally avaiable bullets and barrel twist. </div></div>

How do you figure? I can run a 105 amax at 3300fps. On coyote sized game that round is still able to kill at over 1000yards.

Please explain what you mean by this....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .270 shoots plenty flat for shots to 500 yards. Much flatter than the .308. The OP said Coyotes sit in the middle of mile sections. That is 880. Presuming he can get up to the edge that is 440. </div></div>

They sit in the middle means it's a half mile from the edge, not a quarter mile from the edge. It's still an 880y shot. Certainly not something that can't be done with a necked down 30-06. The reason that the 270 is somewhat lacking in the tactical realm is a coupling off the lack of match bullet choices and it was never an adopted military round. That's not the entire reason to it, but it's a large proportion of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JCH brought up the point that I meant to say, but forgot to mention. The 6 AI is not at home in a short action, a LA is almost a must in order to seat the long bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm Crusader with 115 DTAC. </div></div>

Isn't that an almost ballistic twin to the 6 Ackley? Not being a smartass, I'm looking at the way it's built and the velocities achieved and it seems like they're practically a pair.

</div></div>

Yup! BUT... In the OP, a new long range Yote killer. So, new custom build, new hot-rod 6mm.
And it has a cool name, thats got to count for something.
laugh.gif

Kidding aside it sounds real nice and fits in a AI mag...I am looking at the Crusader real hard for a new build too. I like the idea of a mile capable 6mm short action.

243AI + 115 Dtac or 105 Berger. I have shot antelope out to 900yds with the 243AI and 105 Berger combo at 3300fps. The 115 Dtacs are running 3250fps range out of a 27" barrel. I haven't shot any critters with them yet, but Senderoman has piled up lots of coyotes with them. Fast 6mm's really cheat the wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243AI + 115 Dtac or 105 Berger. I have shot antelope out to 900yds with the 243AI and 105 Berger combo at 3300fps. The 115 Dtacs are running 3250fps range out of a 27" barrel. I haven't shot any critters with them yet, but Senderoman has piled up lots of coyotes with them. Fast 6mm's really cheat the wind. </div></div>

grin.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif

Lots of good ideas given.

I prefer the 7RemMag for situations like you describe.

15 years ago I drilled a Yote at 500 with my 7mag... When I went to retrieve it, the front leg I grabbed pulled right off. 7mag will kill anything. Just wish real LR bullets were available back when I had one. 140 flat base sp were OK, but I was throwing 220 SMK out of my 300win at the same time and not much to compare there. Now there are SMOKING 7mm pills.

I think we all would be well served with at least one of everything mentioned here too. How much can I get for a kidney again???

My gunsmith Jon (The man!!) Beanland has shot his 6x47Lapua out to a mile with sucsess. In all reality the 6x47Lapua is probably the best long range 6mm available, well maybe? The tactical shooters seem to really dig it!! The little BR's and BR improves still win all the money, but i want something a bit bigger and a bit faster. I dont really remember what kind of velocity i was getting with my 6x47Lapua with the 115's? I didnt shoot it long, or enough to really get a good feel for it. Everyone is winning with the Br's so i sold the 6x47L to build one.
Im still thinking 243AI or 260AI though. Something about those improved cases turn me on!!! LOL!!!

If you like AI's and your round count will stay fairly low, you could always build a 22-243AI. I run an 8 twist Broughton and get 3500 out of 90vlds. I don't know how long it will continue to hold them together, but it flat gets it to 1000.

just for fun to see if it would get there. Surprising how well it did. Better hope there aint much wind though

Skeetlee
Remember when ranging that most of the fields are either 1/4 mile rows or 1/2 mile rows. Allot of times there will be a corner post in the fields also. And Jon did a great job on my 308 last fall. Best money I have spent in a long time.