• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions for upgrades Savage model 10 FP tactical

beochie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
I've had this gun for a while now and, while on a budget, I can finally afford to upgrade it to make it a decent rifle.

The trigger is absolutely horrible (pre accu-trigger) I think its the heaviest pull of any gun I own. I was thinking about this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=669335

Also I think the stock is the worst stock of any gun I own. I have somewhat big hands and defiantly long fingers... Any ideas on what stock I should look into? this gun will mostly be a BR paper puncher but I would like to be able to do some hunting with it.

Re: opinions for upgrades Savage model 10 FP tactical

The rifle basix is a good trigger, you may consider one from SSS (sharp shooters supply) I really do not care for there business practices but he makes the best trigger for a savage imo. For stocks on a budget you can not go wrong with stockade gun stocks. Kevin at stockade is a good guy. I have built 5 savage rifles in the past from the action up. Just my thought hope it helps

I have the RB trigger on 5 savages, and they are way better than the accutrigger in my opinion. The older non-accutrigger can be adjusted and a lot of savage guys prefer them for hunting when low pull weights aren't really needed (under 3lbs). Here's a good article on adjusting the trigger you have:
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html
I adjusted mine, and although I prefer a trigger under 2 lbs, it really helped the crispness of the older trigger and did lighten it quite a bit (I think they are around 5-6 lbs from factory on the older triggers). Mine adjusted down to just a little over 3 lbs. Some say they have gotten theirs lighter than than, but that I was all I was able to do with it.
If you decide on a RB trigger, go buy it from shootersdiscount.com. They are around $82 shipped there versus $95 plus shippnig at midway (unless you have a dealer account).
bama110 is right on stockade, they are great stocks and you can pick up a money saver version to save some cash. Only problem is the wait. Last I checked it was about 16 weeks. Look at the choate tactical if you have big hands, long fingers. It has a large palm swell and fits bigger hands very good. Stock is around $220, but is kind of heavy, if youre doing mostly br its okay, but might get heavy lugging it around a few miles.

If you're on a tight budget, the Bell and Carlson Duramaxx is a pretty decent stock and you can find them for about a hundred bucks! If you can swing it, I'd reccomend picking up and H-S Precision for it. Putting a quality stock on it is gonna make a world of difference!

I'd just do a Bell & Carlson A2 or Choate Tactical and do the trigger you want and you'll be under $400. Not only will those stocks have a better feel but with the aluminum bedding blocks you won't need to worry about bedding it. Add the trigger and your all set.

I'll add another vote for the B&C Medalist. In my oppinion, one of the best stocks for the price. You're at an advantage when looking for stocks though, since your savage is more than likely a staggard fed, 4.1 (not sure on exact measurement) action screw spacing. Us guys who got the newer 4.4 inch spacing have only recently been able to enjoy the mid-range option of a Bell and Carlson, it took forever for them to offer the stock in the new spacing! Good luck and nice rife, mine is an amazing shooter. Wouldn't trade it for any other .308 in the price range!

Trigger and stock replacement and you're pretty much good to go for a paper puncher.

I bet you will fall in love with the rifle once you upgrade to a more use friendly trigger and stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bama110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the CDI bottom metal </div></div>

+2 for CDI DBM

Love my B&C Medalist! Big upgrade over the flimsy factory plastic. I have a Rifle Basixs trigger on my Rem700 LTR, and its as good as the Savage Accutrigger, my LTR has the 6oz to 3lb trigger and I cant complain. Heres my 20" 10FP, its a solid .5moa shooter with my handloads, 1moa shooting 168gr GMM.
001-1.jpg

I had a Medalist tactical/varmint like the one jdgray posted pictures of on my savage. I was very pleased with it. I had found it as a like new but used takeoff that a guy had and got it for $200 bucks. IMHO they are hard to beat for the money. If your are looking at putting a detachable mag system on it then I would recomend sending the B&C to CDI. You will have a nice setup.

Jason

The b&c medalists I've had on savages are finished better than the choates I have. I would still recommend Stockade's stuff for the price over b&c and choate. If you dont mind laminates, you could also check out sharpshootersupply

The B&C duramax is a very nice stock for the price. My .223 10fp is in one and acraglassed. Makes a world of differnce. Also i have a SSS trigger in it at 1.8 lb. Good trigger. the only thing though is that it has a little bit of play twords the break, it is very slight butyou know it is there. I have heard really good things about rifle basics, and that there is no play in them.