• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Opinions of the Beretta 96A1?

Yustax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Houston-Texas
Hello Hide. Im planning to pick up a Beretta 96A1, and I want to hear some opinions of the users who've used them. Primarily: reliability, power, how they function, etc.

So far, I've been hearing good stuff about the 92A1 and 96A1 series.

I have owned the Beretta 92G (very similar) since 2005 and think it's an outstanding handgun. Quick field stripping and very accurate. Some find the grip too "fat", but I like the grip I get with medium size hands. Sights are great as well. The "direct feed" that Beretta uses is fantastic I honestly can't remember having any malfunctions in over 2,000 rds.
y6a5e4a6.jpg

Last edited:
I tried the gun in Academy. Felt very good in my hands, they had a hogue grips and they just clicked perfectly, with nice groves in my fingers. I liked the weight, the sights, and that you can add lasers or lam to it. And with 40s&w, its a plus. They let me field strip it too and it was so easy, no tools.

I was also Meh on the Beretta 92's, after all the crap that I've heard, but they've done good with the A1 series.

Look for the ones that look like this ...

dZxP05N.png

I've got no nostalgia for my old M9, but I will say this, I didn't have any problems with mine, and it shot straight enough to get me 2nd place in an IPSC competition. It's not great for concealment, and it's a bit of a brick, but you could do a hell of a lot worse. At that price point, I'm always going to snag a Glock instead. That's just me, but if the Beretta fits you, then I don't think it will let you down.

I've got no nostalgia for my old M9, but I will say this, I didn't have any problems with mine, and it shot straight enough to get me 2nd place in an IPSC competition. It's not great for concealment, and it's a bit of a brick, but you could do a hell of a lot worse. At that price point, I'm always going to snag a Glock instead. That's just me, but if the Beretta fits you, then I don't think it will let you down.

Thanks for the intake; I would never use it as a concealed carry, too big. Im just planning on recreational target shooting/home defense combo. Or maybe I'll get something else. Thanks for the words again.

Beware, not many manufacturers make holsters for the 92a1/96a1 they don't even have near the same dimensions as the closest 92/96, and NO a Vertec holster will NOT work, neither will one for a GSD. Blade Tech will make you one but you have to call it in then wait 7 weeks. Get an M9a1, holsters are more accessible and the front/back straps are checkered instead of serrated. If your looking to put a dovetail front sight in you need to find a 92/96 with a Brigadier slide i.e. Brigadier, Vertec, GSD, Elite 1a, Elite II Steel 1, Bi-lennium, Combat, Or Stock. ( the last four are SAO and hard to find, not to mention expensive and extremely bad ass)

FYI I think Veer was trying to tell you with a photo what I put into words. That airsoft is an Elite 1a replica, I know it says Elite II, but the II didn't come with a flat mainspring housing.

Last edited:
I have a 96 centurian. My first pistol I ever bought,and it will be one I will never get rid of. Shoots straight and is extremely reliable.

I owned a 92 at one point and also put a set of Houge Grips on it. Shot straight and was reliable.

Plus +1 also on 92/96 models .
Just go threw every Mag. you got . Really check for function/Feed & also last-shot Bolt hold-open . Do That, & It will eat & spit-out anything you throw in it from the Cheep to the Prem. defense ammo . So it GTG for you, on wanting a reliable fun shooter or a Home Def. defender . 92/96 easy to clean & parts maintenance .

also ( for me) has a good natural point of aim but that is different for all people .
92/96 models & Concealed carry . You can get by comfortable with Shoulder-Holster and is GTG, but 92/96 for concealed IWB it is not that great unless you got the perfect body frame/shaped for that & I stick to small like g-26 for that role .