• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Opinions on composite AR platform

Coolbreese

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2012
Allen, TX
What do you guys think about the composite ARs? How well are they holding up? Would one be a good option for competitive shooting with the right parts?

Re: Opinions on composite AR platform

I bought a Plum Crazy when they first came out, was planning on a .22LR build but ended up selling it. I'm going to stick with aruminumumum...

Depends on what you want it for. I purchased 6 of the Cav Arms lowers before they went out just for lightweight hunting rigs.
I built a 6.5BRX that's about 150fps slower than a 260, 18" fluted barrel less than 6 lbs. It's holding up behind something just a little shy of a 260, should be good unless you are breaking down doors with it.

I've never heard anything good about them. BUT, I have no personal experience so take that for what it's worth. Good luck. And honestly if you are going to buy the "right parts" Spend the extra 30 bucks and pick up a blemished lower somewhere or spend another 30 bucks and pick up a regular lower. Small price to pay compared to some of the other "right parts" that you are going to need/want.

You get what you pay for. Look around, you wont ever see one on a competition rifle. Just because a plastic Glock is more durable than a metal 1911, doesn't mean an AR15 should be made of plastic.

Heres a good reason not to get one. Not mine but a good pic anyway.

DSCN0312.jpg

I have only heard of one failure of the new frontier polymer lower, and that was when someone ran it over with a lawnmower, now unless you are going to do combat against endless hordes of bloodthirsty lawnmowers, I think a polymer lower will work just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres a good reason not to get one. Not mine but a good pic anyway.

DSCN0312.jpg
</div></div>
sorry, that pic is worthless without background.
i have seen plenty of aluminum AR's in peices too.
6920boltcarriersplitf-tfb.jpg

just to show how THIN that aluminum is

the AR receiver is made out of aluminum in the first place because the action puts nearly all the stress of fireing on the bbl extension and BCG. the receiver just keeps it all from falling to the ground and withstand the reletivley gentle (and spring arrested) impact of the BCG. yes, a plastic lower will break easier from impacts or getting run over. but there is more then enough strenght there to support the weapons fireing cycle.
I would love to get one of the BM carbon 15 SBRs someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on what you want it for. I purchased 6 of the Cav Arms lowers before they went out just for lightweight hunting rigs.
I built a 6.5BRX that's about 150fps slower than a 260, 18" fluted barrel less than 6 lbs. It's holding up behind something just a little shy of a 260, should be good unless you are breaking down doors with it. </div></div>

As said above, they make a great light weight hunting rig. I've used a Cav Arms lower for several years on a Yote rig. Even has a JP trigger that hasn't needed any adjustment. Fixed length of pull was a draw back on the Cav Arms, but the newer ones allow for any stock you want. I might prefer a metal one for comps, as they do get used and abused more.

A guy I work with sells New Frontier polymer AR's that he builds. He swears by them and I was thinking of setting one up for pig hunting. Just wanted to see what you all thought. One of my coworkers wants to competition shoot with one. He's a smaller guy and likes the lightweight option.

Thank you for the imput guys.

I don't get it either. You will just end up with a muzzle heavy rifle. If weightI is aI concern, you would probably be better off shedding weight in the gym than saving a few ounces with a plastic lower.

Hello guys..i think 22LR is the cometant of Ar both are good for the shooting point of view and i have also 22LR and its range is good and i really like 22LR..during the shoot it creat no problem..any suggestion on my gun 22LR??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello guys..i think 22LR is the cometant of Ar both are good for the shooting point of view and i have also 22LR and its range is good and i really like 22LR..during the shoot it creat no problem..any suggestion on my gun 22LR?? </div></div>

Huh?