• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on fodder for a build

Huckleberry75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • I have a Ruger MKII m77 in 22-250 that doesn't get much use. I have an urge for either 6mmAI or 22-250AI. What are the thoughts on this action for a build? Would I be better of selling it and buying a Stiller or R700 action, or is it fine to build on what I have?

Re: Opinions on fodder for a build

I'll bite, for what my .02 is worth...

Pretty simple to rechamber your existing set up to 22-250 AI.
    Low cost, little hotter cartridge.

Re barreling to 6mm AI would give you a chance to do some action work, and you end up with a better quality barrel.
    Costs a bit more, better cartridge and significant accuracy gains.

Personally, I'm not big on Rugers, I'd get a Remington, Winchester, or Savage. That's just my preference, like Coke vs Pepsi.

Good luck whatever you decide.

When you consider how long ruger has been making bolt guns, couple that with the fact that no one builds rifles on a ruger action, that should lead you to your answer.

I have trouble finding a heed for a 22-250 AI. The base cartridge is already overbore and a barrel burner in it's own right. Why exacerbate the issue?

That being said, it is nothing more than running a reamer in the existing chamber, though you will still be saddled with a slow twist barrel.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I sell the ruger and buy a 700 ADL with the proper bolt face and go from there.
    A bare bones ADL will set you back about 350 bucks.

You might have a hard time finding a smith to true a Ruger action. And you would never get your money back on that investment...

The general consensus confirms my thoughts. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path. Anything leading to a new gun has to be correct!!
    smile.gif

The gun currently shoots well on factory Federal fodder, but who wants to be boring and shoot all factory?

Thanks guys for being my sounding board.

tang safety ruger is true crf and would not be bad to use as a custom start, but as mentioned they are not going to bring yor money back. the crusher on rugers is the cast action and odd lug design. that aside, they are just rifles. if it has a place in your heart, build it...but expect to pay a small premium because they are a bit odd. if you just want to build a rifle and do not care about it....trip it for a 700 or howa.