• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on the Lyman Turbo Sonic case cleaner...

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
Any opinions on the Lyman Turbo Sonic case cleaner? I am looking at possibly buying one...

What are the benefits and limitations compared to an RCBS type tumbler (w/walnut shell or corncob media) or compared to something like the FART? (Yeah...I just like referring to it that way...)

Last edited:
or compared to something like the FART? (Yeah...I just like referring to it that way...)
whats the fart?

As far as why I like my vibratory tumbler over something else? I dont have to wait for anything to dry first.
You can get good results with any process, if your work flow has a day between cleaning brass and working it then the dry time is no issue. I like doing both back to back on the same day with zero time in between so dry tumbling is my choice.

Last edited:
You have probably just opened up a huge bucket of worms. I tumbled in a Lyman 1200 in corn cob media for years. Tried ultrasonic (harbor freight) but reality is it takes alot of time in the cleaner, then you have to dry. I now use the tumbler with lizard litter (crushed walnut) which is very fine, cleans well including primer pockets and doesn’t plug flash holes.

whats the fart?

As far as why I like my vibratory tumbler over something else? I dont have to wait for anything to dry first.
You can get good results with any process, if your work flow has a day between cleaning brass and working it then the dry time is no issue. I like doing both back to back on the same day with zero time in between so dry tumbling is my choice.

When I wet tumble using my Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler I sure don't have to wait a day or even hours as I lay them out and blow dry them by heating them up with a heat gun. Then when they cool off enough that I can touch them, I can begin with the rest of my process. That's about 15 minutes or so after I've rinsed them and removed any remaining SS pins.

But, for the most part I prefer using my vibratory tumbler as I like to leave a carbon coating on the interior of the case and as I use short grain rice for this, it helps with keeping the seating resistance low.

Reactions: eddie102870