• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on this barrel quality

dzander

Grandpa Dave
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Ohio
6.5mm barrel. A little bit of chatter marks. I assume this is gun drilled then reamed to size.

Attachments

• sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 65
too clean need more fouling carbon and copper here and there its like looking at a just cleaned pick up truck when the truck like a dog is happier when its all muddy .

Is that your new Bartlein? 😁
Seriously, I have seen barrels like that shoot well. They are normally bad about fouling etc. Give it a try.

Hi,

How does it shoot?

IMO affordable borescopes are 1 of the best AND worse products to ever hit the industry.

They allow users to see what is going on while they allow users to what is going on, lolol.

What barrel manufacturer?

Sincerely,
Theis
What he said.

Factory Savage. Haven't shot it in a long while. It did shoot pretty well for me.

That's all that matters.
It is all that matters as long as you don’t care about rate of carbon, copper and powder build up, length of service, required cleaning intervals or ultimate accuracy. In other words are you ok with low preforming equipment. Also known as crap.

There is a reason custom barrels are made and it’s not because folks like throwing away money.

Reactions: kthomas
It is all that matters as long as you don’t care about rate of carbon, copper and powder build up, length of service or ultimate accuracy. In other words are you ok with low preforming equipment. Also known as crap.

There is a reason custom barrels are made and it’s not because folks like throwing away money.

I wouldn't buy a Savage expecting custom barrel quality.

I also don't buy Savage's. All my rifles are customs with top tier barrel blanks spun up by top tier gunsmiths.

But yes, I agree with all your points.

Reactions: RTH1800
It is all that matters as long as you don’t care about rate of carbon, copper and powder build up, length of service, required cleaning intervals or ultimate accuracy. In other words are you ok with low preforming equipment. Also known as crap.

I shot my friends savage 110 in 6.5 Creed a couple weeks ago. It puts out 5 shot cloverleafs at 100 with a factory stock and trigger. Maybe an anomaly?

If it shoots who cares

Maybe you have to clean it every 300 versus every 800. Oh well. Its a factory savage barrel. Itll shoot well enough

Reactions: Steel head
When we buy rifles that are complete for less money than it costs to purchase a premium barrel blank and have a good gunsmith install it how can we expect to have a barrel on the rifle that is without blemishes? There is a reason why cut-rifled barrels cost over $300 and it can cost the same to have the barrle chambered and installed, it takes time to do quality work. How can you expect low cost factory guns to have the same finish insidle and out as customs?

The great thing is most/many guns made by Savage shoot better than the shooter, before you could buy a bore scope for a little bit f money no one really cared or knew about it. In my opinion bore scopes in the hands of non-gunsmiths are good if you want to evaluate how effective your cleaning regiment is, especially for inspections carbon rings and copper fouling and trying to figure out why a barrel does not provide the precision it should.

I think it os great that with the advent of modern manufacturing capabilities someone can go out and buy a gun that shoots great for less than $500, that gets a lot of people shooting that might not want to or be able to if the cost was much higher. I like out school worksmanship and hunt with Mausers some of which are over a 100 years old but they are not for everyone.

Reactions: RTH1800