• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Opinions wanted! NV mount

Spuhr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2009
Sweden
www.spuhr.com
738197_460465370668323_1616661423_o.jpg

We will now within shortly make this NV mount that is intended to fit all previous spuhr SPxx01series mounts of 30 and 34mm diameter. Possible later if it works out as we hope we will likely make it for the 02 series as well (1,46").

This solution is of course NOT as good as a dedicated rail in the chassis, but its a simple solution with low weight and ultra low height that will work on any repeating rifle with our mount on.

738197_460465374001656_1279742995_o.jpg

Picture above shows inline mounted with a 13mils/44,4moa 1,18" high mount. Compared to outher solutions this will likely be the lowest.

738197_460465377334989_532993473_o.jpg

When PVS 22 o whatever is removed only the bar is left and that is attached to the scopemount with four screws.
But it's really not that much in the way, so for mostly users it can sit there even if not the NV is in use.

738197_460465380668322_1306762186_o.jpg

there will be a number of interfaces on the side of it, if someone wanna mount their laser or flashlight or whatever there.

I belive that this should work out fairly well if caliber not is excessive and kept below and including 7,62.
If an action with integral rail is used such as Surgeon it would probably not be any problem with big calibers as well.

So what is your opinion about this?
Have I missed something?

My idea is to run the prototypes the coming week so we can show them on Shot Show.

Håkan

Re: Opinions wanted! NV mount

Hakan,

This is the same mount you and I have been talking about for awhile now? Still hoping you have a mount you can fabricate that just extends your normal rifle mount, all one piece. I have the earlier CAD drawings of this mount your now showing. Hope you can bring one by our Shot Show booth.

Happy New Year.

Vic

Hakan,

From what it appears in the photos, it looks like it would definitely fill a niche for those who do not have dedicated rails. I appears that the rail is also sloped the same as the mount which I am sure you are aware is important to keep the NVD aligned properly. I think it would be a great idea!

Happy New Year!

Scott

Victor

OF course you will get samples in the booth.
Just wanted some comments abouth the solution before we started the milling machine.
But the solution feels and looks pretty good so zero batch is soon finnished.

Håkan

Hakan,

I would like to share what I ran into with this same approach.

About 8 years ago, I started a project I called the Mission Adaptable Scope Base. Among other things, I included 2 versions of a NV rail offset at the same attitude you have in an attempt to provide a low profile to the mounted NV unit as well as trying to allow the lowest possible ring height on the day scope. The project was shelved in favor of my MUNSter mount.

Here is what I ran into on my M.A.S.B. effort.

1: My rail attitude would only allow the PVS-22 (OSTI/FLIR) to be used. The PVS-27 and similar LR NV units could not be mounted due to the larger CAT lens housing. The PVS-27 has a dedicated “cutout” to clear the barrel at 6’ o’clock when mounted normally and the manufacturer will void the warranty if a user removes or alters the CAT housing.

2: Brands other than OSTI/FLIR, and there are many, NV (including Thermal and dual channel) vary the position of the battery packs and other integrated “bulges” of the main housing. I found that some brands and models would again, not mount the rail without contacting the barrel due to interference from the main housing or interfering with some of the user controls.

3: Any rail version that ties the NV mount rail to the main scope base puts an unprecedented shear load on the 4 receiver mounting holes. The McCann MIRS rail is notorious for shearing screws and coming loose. The heavier the optic load on the system and the lighter the rifle/faster-heavier recoil accelerates the failure rate of the mounting screws. Most of the rounds fired with these systems are without the NV installed, so these problems do not usually arise until the additional mass of the NV unit is added to the mount system. The failure rate of the McCann MIRS tripled with department users that qualified and trained regularly with the NV included.

When a side accessory rail is also used to mount IR Illuminators/IR lasers, the additional mass would also accelerate the problem. Anti shear lugs and upgraded screws are the usual fixes attempted for this problem.

I applaud you on all of your mounting designs. You have developed elegant solutions and I am sure you are fully capable of engineering around the hurdles that I encountered above. Best of luck with this and all your other projects.

Best regards,
Terry

Terry

I fully agree with you that this is a less good solution than the dedicated rail, and even more so than the dedicated chassis with long rails.

On some guns, like those with a surgeon action or similar with the picatinny built in to the action it might actually be an almost as good solution though.

Personally I don't like the "screw on picatinny" solution at all on a sniping rifle and I prefer to use the integrated rail whenever that is possible.
That is why I use it on my T3 and TRG.

However i belive this will work pretty good if people understand it's limitations.
That is also why I have marked it on the outside with maximum caliber 7,62.

I also belive that this will make one of the nicer systems to use, as it's not builing the scopemount up obscenely high.

I don't consider this as an universal system that is better than other systems. But for some uses, for some guns, for some users, it will be the most simple convenient system.

Håkan