• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Opioons on the HK 45

hwy84

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
TEXAS
Just traded for one. Big gun, but love the way it feels, point of aim, etc. Anybody shot one or have experience with one?(good or bad)

Re: Opioons on the HK 45

sort of stupid really....unless you can screw a can on it and smack some pigs......i mean really a big brute of a pistol....to what end???

You already did the trade, so what difference does anyone else's opinion really make at this point? Go shoot it and form your own opinions.

With that said, they are nice pistols, but they aren't for everyone. The ergonomics on them aren't bad at all and the size doesn't bother me since I used to carry a USPf 45. The ones I have fired have all been utterly reliable and offer great accuracy out of the box. My big gripe with the HK45 is that is seems to have been some bastard, half-assed compromise for HK. I mean, the USP series had drug on for YEARS without much in the way of innovations/updates/etc., so HK figured it was time for a new pistol to dazzle military for consideration under the Joint Combat Pistol (JCP) program as well as civilian shooters alike. What they ended up with was a nice looking pistol, with some enhanced ergos (aka - the Batman grip or simply "Batgrip"), but with the same USP trigger, etc. Essentially, its the same old whore in a new dress. Finally, for a bigger pistol (full-size, polymer frame) it irritates me to no end (as it did many of its critics) that they only have 10-round mags. HK took a real step BACKWARD in this department since the stock USP offered 12+1 capacity. Furthermore, if you look around the industry to competing pistols (Glock, SA, FN, etc.) the almost univeral standard is a mag capacity of at least 12+1 or greater.

There are a whole host of other pistols I'd go to before the HK45 based on the above, as well as the increased price (for less pistol IMHO).

Yes I've already done the deal, asking for your opinions was to determine if I kept it long enough to shoot it. Don't know that much about HK's stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hwy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I've already done the deal, asking for your opinions was to determine if I kept it long enough to shoot it. Don't know that much about HK's stuff.
</div></div>

It all depends on what you want/need from the pistol then. If you like the way it feels to you and you are not put off by any of the short-comings I mentioned, then it will probably serve you well. Depending on the trade value you gave for it, HK pistols retain their value VERY well. For numerous in-depth reviews, discussions, etc., you should take a look at the HKPro forums (spefically the HK Pistols sub-forum). Also, if you are wondering what a fair market price might be (should you decide to sell it), there is an excellent WTS: HK Pistols sub-forum where you can find HK45s in various conidtions and what they've sold for in recent months.

Good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hwy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I've already done the deal, asking for your opinions was to determine if I kept it long enough to shoot it. Don't know that much about HK's stuff.
</div></div>

Why did you get something you know nothing about? As far as keeping it. Why not shoot it first and see what you think. Never purchased anything I had going out the door before I ever got it.. otherwise, why would I have got it in the first place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK45 is big???? Are you sure you were not holding a MK23</div></div>

+1

Beyond that....the only downfall that I have is the mag release is in a pisses poor spot imo and the mag cost is wayyyyyyyy to much. Beyond that they are great and I like a big pistol anyways. The small frame scrap doesn't go over well with me.

I have a USP Tactical 45. It is a really cool gun to buy if you have a supressor. It comes with threaded barrel, tall enough sights to see over the can, and "O" rings to help quiet the metal to metal contact. It is noticabley quiter than my glocks.

With that being said, I personally do not like the feel or the POA of the weapon. I shot it a few times after I bought it and then just set my Glock 21 up to shoot supressed. It has sat in the safe since. You guys are right that it is a big gun and to big to carry in my opinion. I think that fuctionally it is exellent, its just not my flavor. They are great pistols though.

Check out Todd's torture test of that thing. Helluva pistol and a true testament to engineering. I'm an HK fanboy (prefer HK nut) but I'd love to have one. I have USPs and a P2000sk. Love them. The P30L is next for me.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2714

The new HK 45 is nice and fits well in my hands. I personally like the 45C a little more.

If it feels good in your hands, you really can't go wrong with any version of a HK .45 ACP pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You already did the trade, so what difference does anyone else's opinion really make at this point? Go shoot it and form your own opinions.

With that said, they are nice pistols, but they aren't for everyone. The ergonomics on them aren't bad at all and the size doesn't bother me since I used to carry a USPf 45. The ones I have fired have all been utterly reliable and offer great accuracy out of the box. My big gripe with the HK45 is that is seems to have been some bastard, half-assed compromise for HK. I mean, the USP series had drug on for YEARS without much in the way of innovations/updates/etc., so HK figured it was time for a new pistol to dazzle military for consideration under the Joint Combat Pistol (JCP) program as well as civilian shooters alike. What they ended up with was a nice looking pistol, with some enhanced ergos (aka - the Batman grip or simply "Batgrip"), but with the same USP trigger, etc. Essentially, its the same old whore in a new dress. Finally, for a bigger pistol (full-size, polymer frame) it irritates me to no end (as it did many of its critics) that they only have 10-round mags. HK took a real step BACKWARD in this department since the stock USP offered 12+1 capacity. Furthermore, if you look around the industry to competing pistols (Glock, SA, FN, etc.) the almost univeral standard is a mag capacity of at least 12+1 or greater.

There are a whole host of other pistols I'd go to before the HK45 based on the above, as well as the increased price (for less pistol IMHO). </div></div>

I agree with all the facts ORD has stated above but have different conclusions. The HK45 has a ten round mag because thats the only way to make it ergonomic. Lots of people cant shoot the USP45 because of the brick-like grip. Same thing for the different but bulky G21. The HK45 sacrifices 2 rounds for shootability. If you shoot the USP45 great and dont need the standard rail on the HK45 then there is no reason to switch.
The HK45 trigger is better than the standard USP but not much IMHO.
The HK45 is "less pistol" for you because you dont need the compromise in ergos. Others will have an equally valid observation that the USP45 is "less pistol" because it won't work for them.
The only pistol I even compare HKs to are Glocks since I'm not convinced anything else is in the same reliability class.

Pistol shoots well, as all HK's do. I shoot the HK45 suppressed and like the feel of the pistol better than the USP. The HK45 seems to be more stable, If you do not like it send it my way
smile.gif

Like the above statement, send it my way. I could always use another HK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sort of stupid really....unless you can screw a can on it and smack some pigs......i mean really a big brute of a pistol....to what end??? </div></div>
Tons of "stupid" people out there then. Great guns. I like mine better than any others I own. Yes, they are bigger than a glock or some other sissy pistol, but I figure they're built for a man's hands
grin.gif

I love mine. I have over 4,000 through it so far without a jam. Only thing i have done to it is modify it to LEM and add Henie Straight 8's. Almost makes me want to give up 1911's.

EZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sort of stupid really....unless you can screw a can on it and smack some pigs......i mean really a big brute of a pistol....to what end??? </div></div>
Tons of "stupid" people out there then. Great guns. I like mine better than any others I own. Yes, they are bigger than a glock or some other <span style="font-weight: bold">sissy pistol</span>, but I figure they're <span style="font-weight: bold">built for a man's hands</span>
grin.gif
</div></div>

This place is really beginning to worry me.
blit1407.jpg

The fact that you have that picture in your repertoire should worry you! I take it you haven't seen U.S. Marshals? The "nickle plated sissy pistol"?.....

I have handled a HK45 numerous times, and I really like the way it feels. For me though, I have no use for a pistol that big. I'm not into open carry, even though I can in Maine, and it's too big for me to conceal. I didn't buy it for the same reason I didn't keep my USP 45- it's just too big to be PRACTICAL.

I bought a HK45c, and I like the size much better.

For what it's worth- HK products are expensive and perhaps a bit "overpriced," but I have never experienced a failure of any kind, period, in all three of mine.

True, the H&K 45 gives up a couple of rounds from the magazine. That makes it so that normal men can actually use the thing. I owned USPs before and the only way I could shoot the things was by carrying them cocked and locked. When I handled the H&K 45, I was actually surprised by the ergonomics, it was as though H&K had finally decided to see what humans used to hold their handguns. I stopped drinking the H&K coolaid years ago. Contrary to others experiences here, I have seen failures in their products and then had to deal with their customer service, which could piss off a Buddhist Monk. Overall, I think its a good handgun.

The Glock 21, yeah its a good gun.......if you have hands like a silverback gorilla.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been kicking the idea around to grab one, love the way it feels in the hands </div></div>

Don't lie. You know its because of how that logo makes you feel in your pants.
laugh.gif

HK makes a solid gun. They woudn't have military contracts if they didn't.

I had a USP .40 a number of years ago. Mine also had the safety that was everything; decocker, cocked-n-locked and safety w/ hammer down. NOw that I think of it, almost TOO much safety. BUT. train like you'll fight and it won't be a problem.

About the only two things I didn't like, and I've also fired the HK45 SOCOM is this. 1) The magazine release, I think it's too easy to hit unintentionally. 2) I think the slide mass is a bit higher than it needs to be, making muzzle flip a bit more pronounced.

DOes that make the HK bad? NO! Are there other guns that I would rather own? Yes! But that's just my $.02 which you asked.

I truly hope the gun works for you and fits your needs! Enjoy it, it'll last as long as you want it to!

-G45

If you have mid sized or smaller hands, the HK45 with the small backstrap is a beautiful fit that just feels perfect. Add on the extended threaded factory barrel and you have a very solid gun that shoots tight groups.

Now if you had bigger hands, that new FN45 tactical with the 15 round mag (instead of the HK's 10 round) would be worth looking at.

When I had the HK 45 I thought it was an excellent gun. I have really large hands and the large backstrap fit me just right. The gun shot really well too. I got rid of it to fund some optics, and 45 was getting too expensive for me to shoot.

I'd buy another in a heart beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been kicking the idea around to grab one, love the way it feels in the hands </div></div>

Don't lie. You know its because of how that logo makes you feel in your pants.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I think he's talking about that K98 up there!

smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK makes a solid gun. They woudn't have military contracts if they didn't.
</div></div>

Military contracts with who? We don't buy that junk here.

HK45. Complete fail. Shouldn't have bothered. Tards.

HK45C. Smoking success. Obsoletes the HK45. Contract with NSW to replace the MK23. It's literally that good.

HK45C didn't like wolf made ammo. My friend just hand his come unglued Sunday in his hand. Cuts and bruises is all luckily. Broke the frame and cooked off the last round of the mag, taking out the bottom of the mag. The extractor is gone and there could be slide damage.
HK is going to repair or replace it, but going to bill him which he them has to get Wolf to cover it, I guess. Nice pistol, but not invincible.

I just recently got rid of the one I had. Fit my hand really well. Accurate, reliable. My biggest bitch was the price of extra mags. $50 if you could find them on sale. Usually they are $60 a pop. That was the deciding factor for me. I am a firm believer of having a dozen mags for each pistol I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest bitch was the price of extra mags. $50 if you could find them on sale. Usually they are $60 a pop.</div></div>
Has anyone used after-market mags for their HK 45? I have a HK USP 45, and purchased half a dozen Promags. Problem is that it's back-ordered from over 2 weeks ago, and I still have not heard confirmation of shipping. The price was half of HK mag prices. Can anyone comment quality of Promags for their HK 45 and/or USP 45?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone comment quality of Promags for their HK 45 and/or USP 45? </div></div>

In brief...COMPLETE AND UTTER SHITE!!

They are generally sub-standard quality, unreliable in terms of their ability to feed properly thanks to crappy springs and poor tolerances, the fit/finish is rough, and overall they are just a waste of time/money. Yes, they cost half or less than what the HK OEM mags cost...but they don't work 100% so what's the real savings?!

Promag does NOT (at least at this time) make an HK45 mag.

I've handled the HK 45 and put a few rounds through one a guy had at the range one day. It fit my hand o.k. but I didn't care for the mag release. It might just be me but it felt top heavy. Kind of reminded me of the Ruger P89(?). It shot fine but I shoot my G21 and 1911's better. Granted I have a lot more trigger time with them then with the HK.

The mags sound high but go price some tuned mags for a 2011. I'd jump on them at $60 ea.

The mag prices are a pain, but they work at least. Like everything else with HK, it works good but you'll pay for it. A few thousand rounds of ammo and the price of the mags will look puny...

I considered the HK-45C and was torn between the two, and decided I liked the longer barrel and the full length grip. If I didnt already have a concealed carry weapon or three I would have bought the 45C and got a couple of the longer mags. I bought the fullsize for something different, and it reminded me of a government 1911. It serves as a house gun and when I carry it outside it is in a OWB low ride.
I dont much care for V1 and love the LEM so I switched it to that. Double taps are quick and controllable like a full size weapon should be and of course it is super accurate, over a rest two handed groups are one ragged hole with any decent ammo. Several hundred rounds of mixed stuff, including UMC, WWB, PMC, Blazer, Federal 230 ball, as well as a couple hundred 230gr HST and 150 or so 230gr Gold Dots, and the last 50 200 grain +P Gold Dots, all flawless. I will be very disappointed when one of my HKs has a malfunction since none of them has yet though I know it will eventually. If my 1911s were like that I would still have them, the best I had was a Springfield TRP that was heavy but ran good, but not as good as the HK45. If I could shoot the GLock21 as good as the HK45 I would gladly save the extra coin, but the price difference looks inconsequential once you factor in the cost of feeding it all year. For my hands the HK45 has hands down better ergos than the G21.
Bottom line, in my estimation the HK45 is one of the best full size 45s out there. Not the best choice for concealed carry, but possible. Otherwise it has great ergos, is extremely accurate, and bombproof.