• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Ops Core Base Jump Wilcox Retractable Lanyard DIY

I^2 Technologies - Peter

I^2 Technologies - Peter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2002
Way out West Thank Goodness
The Base Jump Helmet from Ops Core is one of the best thought out products on the market today. I really like this piece of gear. Quick and easy to use in addition to being very dependable. Now let me say here that I use the Base Jump as a quick easy way to mount NVDs for most of the Night Time pursuits I engage in. MOSTLY hunting, at night and some just good old walkin around sometimes known as hiking. If I EVER would have a need to do anything serious I would break out my FAST ballistic helmet. Now that being said, I have always wished for the retractable lanyard on the Base Jump just like the Fast Ballistic and Bump helmets.

A long neck cord like most people use (hopefully your using SOMETHING), works but it has to be tucked into the bungies so it won't drape across your face and get in the line of sight.

Now Wilcox makes a mount that slips over the top of the Ops Core shroud but with the Base Jump and it's molded in Shroud nothing exists in the VERY EXTENSIVE Wilcox product line. In looking at the situation I came up with the following solution.

Now I have to put in the disclaimer here that if you try this you do so at your OWN RISK ! ! !

***(NOTE HERE)***

I am editing this to show a newer mounting method as the first version of this used a nut that protruded too far into the helmet. The new speed nut protrudes just at 1 mm and And AND I am adding a pad on top of it.

Get your self the Wilcox NVG Lanyard Assembly for the Ops Core Shroud (PN 41400G06-T (T for Tan in this case)) and a 1/4 X 20 bolt 1/2inch long. You will need to shorten the bolt almost a 1/4 of an inch so that it does not protrude past the speed nut. Also a speed nut.

I even added some spiffy tacticool paint.

They will look like this.

038-2.jpg

Next place the Wilcox mount on top of your Base Jump Helmet. Position the foot right between the top two "spurs" of the molded in shroud.

040-1.jpg

Then CAREFULLY drill a 1/4 inch hole. Now once you have your 1/4 inch hole, enlarge it to 3/8ths to accommodate the speed nut. Again be careful the plastic will drill very easily so go slow. It should look like this.

096-1.jpg

097-1.jpg

And with the hole drilled.

041-1.jpg

Next put in your bolt.

043-2.jpg

Put the backing nut on.

039-1.jpg

Torque it down but don't over tighten. The speed nut perfectly supported the Wilcox part. Got lucky there. I suggest a drop of red lock tight in the threads and if your really worried about it you can put a drop of your favorite glue between the Wilcox mount and the Helmet.

Next place a Team Wendy ZAP pad over the speed nut for further protection.

041-2.jpg

The finished product will look like this.

047-2.jpg

cont...

Re: Ops Core Base Jump Wilcox Retractable Lanyard DIY

And this is what it will look like all mounted up to your favorite NODs. For a Connection point loop and day cover retainer, I used a length of 100 LB test ALSE Survival vest cord, double knotted for security.

050-2.jpg

051-2.jpg

And folded up.

053-2.jpg

052-2.jpg

In closing let me say Dummy Cords rule ! ! ! You don't want to drop you NVDs off of your head and this will help prevent that in the unlikely event of an, <span style="font-style: italic">unwanted </span>detachment. So there ya go a DIY quick and easy way to make your night time viewing experiences just that <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">little</span></span> bit safer.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

It's a nice idea and it looks really good, but for the sake of safety I really have to point out that mounting a nut like that is not a good idea at all.

david-whatnottodo.jpg

If the wearer walks into a low branch or falls while wearing this, it will concentrate the impact on a single point on their skull with a hard, sharp material and the result is that it is more dangerous to wear a helmet like this than it is to have the accident without wearing it.

I've made people throw away brand new helmets for making mistakes like then ( when a CAMS steward ) and even though this isn't a crash helmet, you've discovered a way to make the helmet even more dangerous than not having it.

Do not use padding around it, just remove it altogether. You can get flush mounting nuts that fit in wood and remove the spikes so there's just a flat disk on the inside surface of the helmet of around 1 to 1.5mm and cut the bolt so it doesn't protrude or you can grind the head off the bolt so that it's only got a 1mm flange and put the flattened bolt head through from the inside and affix the nut from the top. Both are easy changes and can be managed by someone with basic tools of just a grinder and a drill. A little paint to match color and it will look great. You can even grin the nut and bolt down so it's not as high.

But please don't encourage people to put bolts and nuts protruding into the inside helmet space in a helmet. It's likely to lead to serious injury.

Regards
David

Note: edited 14/08/2011 - Thanks for updating your new pictures, IPSC_Guy. The new assembly looks much better and a lot safer. I think this thread is now an excellent example of both what not to do and if you do, a safer way to do it.

cj7hawk,

You beat me to the post of the safety issue. GREAT catch!!!!!

John

The Norotos INVG is not a breakaway mount, it has 360-degree rotation to allow the attached NVG to move out of the way when directly impacted. Therefore, a lanyard is not as critical for the INVG to protect against accidental NVG detachment.

The strong warnings posted about the hazardous condition caused by having a bolt and nut protruding inside the helmet are absolutely correct. Even if a flush-mounted collet was to be used (instead) on the inside of the helmet, U.S. military safety requirements would require it to be covered with a pad - especially when jump activities are planned.

The styrofoam and other resilient foam padding proprietary to Ops-Core do not provide nearly the amount of impact protection as the U.S. Military standard helmet pads -- which are the Zorbium helmet pads by Team Wendy. The MSA pads that come standard in the U.S. Military issue MICH / ACH helmets are actually Team Wendy pads.

IR-V

A flush mount from the inside is an easy fix.

As for using the lanyard with the INVG mount? I also use Wilcox mounts and in the game of minimizing hazards a lanyard is still a good idea. Stuff happens and goggles don't need to hit the deck.

Where this becomes important is showing this equipment to people who aren't familiar with it. Having someone accidentally press the release lever on the mount and having the whole kit and kaboodle fall off is BAD as in B.A.D. if this is tied on.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IPSC_GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A flush mount from the inside is an easy fix. Just a nut selection. As for Nut bolt combos protruding into the helmet. Again I point out, the suspension mounting bolts are much taller and much closer to your head in their stock form.

As for using the lanyard with the INVG mount? I also use Wilcox mounts and in the game of minimizing hazards a lanyard is still a good idea. Stuff happens and goggles don't need to hit the deck.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA </div></div>

Not quite. The Ops Core suspension mounting bolt is encapsulated in a T-nut which sits flush within a plastic surround. The surface area of this arrangement is considerably greater than that of your hardware-store nut and bolt arrangement.

To get a T-nut arrangement on your custom mount, you would need to drill out the hole to considerably larger diameter in both the helmet and your swivel base, and you would need to find a T-nut that is short enough to keep your swivel base flush with the helmet; plus, you'd probably have to grind down your existing retention bolt to keep it from sticking too far past the T-nut.

From the excuses that you make regarding crush depth of your helmet pads, its unlikely that you'll make any modifications to your set-up. It's your noggin' and therefore your business what you do with it. However, it is important for other readers to know that what exists in your posts above is an unsafe condition.

I'll say it again ... even if you were to find a collet type nut for your set-up that appears to be almost flush with the interior wall of your helmet, it still needs to be covered with a helmet pad. Real-life impacts do several things, they can have enough momentary force to: (1) cause your type of helmet to deform between the pads, (2) cause the pads to temporarily deform and compress to more than 50% depth, and (3) cause externally mounted bolts to be driven inward at point of impact. All may rebound in milliseconds, but that will be of no remedy to the dent that is put into your skull, which has less plasticity than your helmet shell or pads.

I will point out that the helmet in your pictures is pretty much an enhanced bicycle helmet. The styrofoam liner pad is a one-timer when it comes to crush protection. Once deformed with heavy force, it isn't going to rebound back to full thickness. All your "suspension" mounts should also be covered with pads, and they are not. The U.S. military standards require at least a 3/4" thick Zorbium pad to cover all hardware inside the helmet, and there is currently a move to require an increase to 1" thickness on these.

Sure, your helmet arrangement with custom enhancement (depicted in this thread) is fine and probably okay (from a safety perspective) if you're just walking around your patio / deck using it "recreationally" as an NVG mount. However, when you use terms like "hit the deck" it implies that you're suggesting your set-up for law enforcement or military operations, which in reality require considerably more protection. It is important that readers not be swayed but such references.

Even for recreational use, I would observe that the nut and bolt protrusion (in your photos above) is unsafe for a helmet used for protecting the head while riding bicycles -- including the condition of using a flush collet mount but without helmet pad covering. An adult male falling off a bicycle at 15 mph and hitting his head against a hard surface would very likely suffer enough impact force to cause the three deformation conditions I've identified.

On the other subject of lanyards for NVG retention. It is more of an issue with monoculars such as the PVS-14. On the Norotos INVG, a monocular would need to be physically detached from the swing arm / boom to switch from right to left eye. At that moment of physical disconnection, there could be a risk of dropping and losing the NV monocular under dark, stressful, slippery conditions. For that reason, the Norotos Universal Shroud has a plug loop that a retention cord from the NV monocular can be tied to. To prevent snagging, extreme force will pull the plug from its socket.

Your dual-eye goggle arrangement on your NVG precludes any need to detach the NVG during "field" use, as you already have both eyes and do not need to switch as could be the case with the monocular. The INVG dovetail lock (for attaching NVG to swing arm / boom) is nearly impossible to disengage by accident. Any force applied to the NVG would cause the entire mount to rotate out of the way instead of coming apart / breaking away.

If the more "advanced" features such as the retractable lanyard are important to you, it would make more sense for you to purchase a helmet that accepts a modular shroud interface that you can attach the retractable lanyard to. Otherwise, have you thought about adapting the picatinny rail adapter for your right-side helmet rail? It would be very easy to adapt it to connect to your swivel base. From there, it would be a straight shot to your NVG, and a much shorter path than what you currently have from the above-the-forehead position for your lanyard mount / swivel. In addition to avoiding the unsafe condition of bolts and nuts protruding unnecessarily inside your helmet (just in front of your frontal lobe), it allows you to adapt a disposable / replaceable part (a rail adapter) instead of a permanent one (the shell of your helmet).

IR-V

Actually I have taken everyone's advice and already made the mods to the set up. I will take pictures later, edit the post so as not to promote any unsafe practices.

Also the Base Jump is as you state a recreational helmet. If your using it for Military Applications or Law Enforcement, that is probably not the best of ideas.

As for my use of the term "hit the deck?" Old habit I spent tooo many years in the Marine Corps, Sorry if I was implying anything by using the term in that manner.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

I am working on setting up this same helmet to use with my PVS-14. I don't have the helmet in my hands, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

It looks like the bungee cords just hook into the front of the helmet. Could you not just hook that cord onto your NVD to serve the same purpose? It seems like you could just hook it to the spot where you have your paracord tied right now.

I'm assuming it must not be that easy, but why wouldn't that work?

The bungies on the Ops Core helmet are super short and super strong. Alas they don't work like a lanyard. Plus the hooks are hard to get out of the shroud.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Great thread! Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Quick question - what is the thickness of the Team Wendy pad you used?:

041-2.jpg

The pads in my Ops-Core Base Jump are 1/2 inch thickness.

Thanks again, all the best!
smile.gif

hmmmm - I just ordered a set of ZAP pads in 3/4

I hope it will fit correctly and not be to large a pad...
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milanwg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm - I just ordered a set of ZAP pads in 3/4

I hope it will fit correctly and not be to large a pad...
frown.gif
</div></div>

I just tried it and a 3/4 pad will work just fine.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

One quick question - Where did you purchase your:

Speed nut and 1/4 X 20 bolt 1/2inch long

I am located in Toronto, Canada and have checked:

- Home Depot
- Lowes
- Home Hardware
- Rona

And no one has anything
frown.gif

Howdy

I went to a local ACE hardware for mine.

Another option to ALL of this and I can't believe I did not think of this before... is simply use the OPS CORE VAS shroud mounting screws. The Wilcox base is already the perfect size AND it will be a much smaller hole in your helmet.

Give Ops Core a call I think the three screw kit is like $10.00 or so?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

I have the Wilcox lanyard and the TeamWendy ZAP pad - but can't find the damn speed nut anywhere!

Did you buy a T-nut:

prong_t_nut.jpg

and grind off the "hooks" ? or did the speed nut come as pictured?

Any link online you can give me?

Very frustrating not being able to complete this mod because of a little nut and bolt is missing ;(

Look at a sporting goods store that carries football or hockey helmets. They'll have the T-nuts. Or if you're near a drop zone, the gear store should have them if they mount camera's to helmets. Same piece.

Here's a link to a football hardware - look at the bottom part II

http://www.sppss.com/helmet_parts.html#HelmetHardware

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milanwg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Done!

basejump01small-1.jpg
</div></div>

That looks great!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the microphone looking thing attached to the ARC rail? Does it work in conjunction with a certain headset? Who makes it, and what purpose does it serve?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott2501</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milanwg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Done!

basejump01small-1.jpg
</div></div>

That looks great!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the microphone looking thing attached to the ARC rail? Does it work in conjunction with a certain headset? Who makes it, and what purpose does it serve? </div></div>

Princeton Tec Point - MPLS Makes this nifty little bendy light.
http://www.tnvc.com/shop/princeton-tec-point-mpls/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott2501</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milanwg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Done!

basejump01small-1.jpg
</div></div>

That looks great!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the microphone looking thing attached to the ARC rail? Does it work in conjunction with a certain headset? Who makes it, and what purpose does it serve? </div></div>

As Vic pointed out, it is an LED light on flexible arm and with helmet accessory rail mount, manufactured by Princeton Tec. The model pictured is a single LED light. There is a newer model that has twin LEDs that can be switched between infrared and visible illumination.

IR-V

Updated pics
smile.gif

basejump01finalsmall.jpg

basejump02finalsmall.jpg

basejump03finalsmall.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ops-Core Base Jump Military Helmet - MARPAT Digital</span>

Wilcox L4 G24 Mount FDE
Wilcox Lanyard for VAS Shroud
Norotos PVS-14 Dual Dovetail adapter
ITT PVS-14 Gen 3 Autogated NV
Wilcox Amber Filter
Sacrificial Window
S&S Precision V-Lites (green + red)
S&S Precision Manta Strobe
Ferro Concepts Counter Weight Pouch - AOR1
Princeton Tec MPLS II - red + white LED

basejump02finalsmall.jpg

What is the purpose of the V-Lite? In this case to have two?

Also, why do you need two V-Lites and a strobe light together?

Does the strobe light share the same function as the V-Lites?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jojunior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Does the strobe light share the same function as the V-Lites? </div></div>

Specific light and flash patterns / combinations can be used to identify and distinguish members of your team. However, one needs to be aware that in a combat situation where the hostiles are also equipped with night vision, these 'flares' and 'beacons' can draw a lot of unwanted attention and incoming fire - and should therefore be used sparingly.

On the other hand, if you like to go for long hikes and adventures in the vast, deep, dark forests of Washington or Oregon, in the dead of winter, and think that you may become lost or stranded ... then, it wouldn't hurt to have the most brilliant "fireworks" possible to signal to air rescue and other emergency responders and with as many "back-up" signalling devices as possible. Just don't drain all your batteries if you sense its going to be a while before you encounter any rescuers!

The V-Lites can be had in steady or flashing modes, or with both as options; in different visible-light colors, and with infrared output. So yes, depending how the V-Lites are configured, they can be redundant on the function of a strobe. Some strobes have adjustable pulse rates to increase their value and granularity for identification.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jojunior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Does the strobe light share the same function as the V-Lites? </div></div>

Specific light and flash patterns / combinations can be used to identify and distinguish members of your team. However, one needs to be aware that in a combat situation where the hostiles are also equipped with night vision, these 'flares' and 'beacons' can draw a lot of unwanted attention and incoming fire - and should therefore be used sparingly.

On the other hand, if you like to go for long hikes and adventures in the vast, deep, dark forests of Washington or Oregon, in the dead of winter, and think that you may become lost or stranded ... then, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">it wouldn't hurt to have the most brilliant "fireworks" possible to signal to air rescue and other emergency responders and with as many "back-up" signalling devices as possible. </span></span> Just don't drain all your batteries if you sense its going to be a while before you encounter any rescuers!

The V-Lites can be had in steady or flashing modes, or with both as options; in different visible-light colors, and with infrared output. So yes, depending how the V-Lites are configured, they can be redundant on the function of a strobe. Some strobes have adjustable pulse rates to increase their value and granularity for identification.

IR-V </div></div>

LoL on the fireworks...Whenever I leave on one of those journeys, my inner circle knows if I'm lost is to simply tell the helo's pilots to pack their NOD's... Then again, they might just see me from their back yard lawn chairs miles away!
grin.gif

Did the mod today, great idea IPSC_Guy.

One thing I did to mine that I feel most may need to give a try on theirs, is the addition of some velcro. Without this step I found the mounting solution horribly unstable as the lanyard base could just rotate freely on the helmet shell with very minimal force.

I added a small, 1 cm piece of adhesive velcro as shown, which completely eliminates the rotation problem. The female end sinks down into the cavity on the lanyard base which still gives some 'stick' to the velcro, but still allows the base to fit flush with the helmet.

All modifications aside, it's definitely the finishing touch to an otherwise great helmet.

77e95554.jpg

672f5fd0.jpg

481c97ed.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good idea, now if my helmet would get here. Whats the latest ETA Victor? </div></div>

Hi ya...

Ops Core is still behind on most of their helmets and we will have more of an idea of ETA's this week.

As most know, they were also just purchased from Gentex which also slowed production down with the transition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdizzle921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the mod today, great idea IPSC_Guy.

One thing I did to mine that I feel most may need to give a try on theirs, is the addition of some velcro. Without this step I found the mounting solution horribly unstable as the lanyard base could just rotate freely on the helmet shell with very minimal force.

I added a small, 1 cm piece of adhesive velcro as shown, which completely eliminates the rotation problem. The female end sinks down into the cavity on the lanyard base which still gives some 'stick' to the velcro, but still allows the base to fit flush with the helmet.

All modifications aside, it's definitely the finishing touch to an otherwise great helmet.

77e95554.jpg

672f5fd0.jpg

481c97ed.jpg
</div></div>

That is a Heck of an Idea to prevent rotation. I glued my mount to the helmet but I Like this ! ! !

Thanks for sharing.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

A little off topic but i was looking at your setup on how you attached the lanyard clip to your NVG, how is everyone else attaching their lanyards to their PVS-14's...

thanks

I use a small key-chain looking ring that works pretty well on my 15's and 14's.

(Might be kind of hard to see)

b29b7c9f.jpg

thank you, thats what i was thinking might work but thought i would see what everyone else is doing.