• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes OPTIC for AR 10 SASS

SEPUL

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
PA
looking for a optic for my AR10 SASS i was thinking nightforce not sure on power a lot of guys tell me 3.5-15x50 i was thinking 5.5-22x50 as my vision is not so good
thanks for the help

Re: OPTIC for AR 10 SASS

I put an ST-10 on my DPMS SASS, I thought I was going to regret not getting a higher mag scope, but so far I have been happy with it.

I would go with the IOR 3-18x42mm from Liberty optics, you get free low rings and alot of other stuff.

Also order a Bad Ord 22moa base and you are golden.

That is a FFP Mil-Mil 0-10 Mil in one turn for under $1700 including the 22 MOA base.

I would go with this setup due to the fact the low rings will work on a bolt gun and the AR-10. This lets you keep the same riflescope and rings as you change rifles over time.

John

3.2-17 SN3

I went the NXS route on my AR10 but regret it, wish I spent a little more on the USO. I'll be correcting that soon though.

I have an AR-10T with a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56mm. Fits great in a LaRue QD mount LT-158 without being too high. Plus the LaRue has a built in 10 MOA cant.

If you are interested, I have a couple for sale right now -- a used Schmidt & Bender 4-16x42mm PMII, and a brand new S&B 5-25x56 PMII (this one is listed on Sniper's Hide: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1125939)

I also have available a Badger Ordnance 22 MOA AR riser rail with 34mm Badger rings, too...

I have a USO ST-10 on my AR-10 and am extremely pleased with it.

This was my first fixed power optic, and will likely not be my last. I was originally concerned with it being fixed and only 10 power, but at closer ranges the power isn't too much, and I have made shots out past 500 yds so far and have been able to see everything just fine. Super glass in my opinion.

I've got a 3-18 IOR in 1/2 inch (med?) rings on my DPMS .308. I got the scope mounted with just enough room to shoot NTCH. It gives me a tight, yet comfortable cheek weld.

thanks for all the input I am still on the ropes with the power is the 5.5-22x50 to much power ?

will the 3.5-15x50 have enough power for precision target shooting off the bench

as I said my vision is not the best but still it seems most are still telling me lower power for better field of view is this really a concern if you are not using it in a combat situation?.

I am also told point of impact will be off as magnification is increased so now I don't know about the 5.5-22x50 can someone shed some light on this for me

as far as a mount I was going to use a LARUE with 10 MOA built in

the reticle I was thinking NP-R1

again thanks for the help

IOR 3x18 42mm SH model, or S$B 3x12 50mm PMII. I have both, and my S$B is mounted on my Noveske AR-10. Either scope is adequate. The glass on the IOR is outstanding for the money, and it has some very nice features. I think it's an excellent value for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEPUL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as I said my vision is not the best but still it seems most are still telling me lower power for better field of view is this really a concern if you are not using it in a combat situation?.</div></div>

Unless your paper targets are going to be growing legs and running across the range, I'd say you don't have to worry much about field of view!
smile.gif

+1 on the LaRue mount, it's AWESOME.

Now I've never heard about POI being off because of magnification... seems to me the point of a decent scope is that stuff like that doesn't change as you zoom!

In my opinion, stick with 3.5-15x50 NXS or leupold's 3.5-10x40 mk4, or 4.5-14x50 mk4.You do not want the big magnification to bite you in the a** with the mirage issue.heres some old pictures of my DPMS Sass, ive tried the 3.5-10x40 mk4,4.5-14x50 and nightforce 3.5-15x50 but im going back to the mk4 3.5-10x40 scope its alot better suited than the higher power scopes!
sass.jpg

dpms308.jpg

This isnt mine i found this on ar15.com ,i dont know if its the 5.5-22x50,looks like it.
31sass2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gewgaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEPUL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as I said my vision is not the best but still it seems most are still telling me lower power for better field of view is this really a concern if you are not using it in a combat situation?.</div></div>

Unless your paper targets are going to be growing legs and running across the range, I'd say you don't have to worry much about field of view!
smile.gif

+1 on the LaRue mount, it's AWESOME.

Now I've never heard about POI being off because of magnification... seems to me the point of a decent scope is that stuff like that doesn't change as you zoom!</div></div>

i agree with the field of view part thats why i ? so many going with the lower power in a non combat gun

i have the LARUE mounts on all my guns i love them

so now what about the mirage issue how bad does this get at the higher power settings or does this only come in to play at ranges over 500 yards

as far as thr POI shift as magnification is increased i was told this by a few guys as well as someone over at LARUE this was also new to me as i also thought the point of a good optic was that it held zero at any power can any one tell me more about this
thanks

mirage wont be an issue at less than 400,lower power ive found to be effective in spotting shots when unsure of point of impact.Its helped me get on paper many times, i guess 5.5 is low enough.If your heart is set on the 5.5-22x50 or 56 go for it Nightforce glass will put a smile on your face regardless!

ok i just orderd the 3.5-15x50 with np-r2 and zero stop i could not find the np-r1

thanks for the help

thanks for all the help

i just got the scope mounted all i can say is WOW i love this thing

If you don't like it for any reason, try the IOR 3-18x I'm going with a 2-12x on a AR-10 SASS with a 16" - 18" barrel.