• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Optic power to hunt at 800 yds

beachhair234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Austin, TX
My buddy and I are planning to hunt elk in CO this October. I currently have a 3-10x Weaver Grand Slam, but am worried that this isn't sufficient to hunt to 500 yds let alone 800 yds. I was looking at the NF 5.5-20 NXS or 3.5-15 F1.

The 5.5-20 has a FOV of 17.5 ft and 4.7 ft at 5.5x and 22x, respectively. The 3.5-15 has a FOV of 27.6 ft and 7.3 ft at 3.5x and 15x, respectively. On paper, it seems that the 3.5-15 would be sufficient from a FOV perspective and would even work at 100 yd shots, while the 5.5-20 would likely still be too much magnification at 5.5x for 100 yd shots. Thoughts?

Re: Optic power to hunt at 800 yds

Of the two, I'd go with the F1. For hunting Elk, I find that 15X is plenty. And you get the added benefit of the FFP, you will also be able to back it off to the 3X setting when hunting in the thicker timber.

Personally, I would prefer a lighter, more compact scope than a NF for CO hunting. As stated, the 3-10x you have should be more than enough; of course, I prefer a bow for chasing elk.

I think I would find a new hobby if I was planning on 800+ yard shots on animals as tough to bring down as elk. But hey, to each his own.

I like 20X for deer, and elk once I get past 600yrds. I hunt coues, and they get very small at 500yrds even with a 14X. I have done it many times, but I would like a bit more power for long range hunting. Last year I shot my deer at 726yrds with a 25X, and I didnt feel that I had too much power at all.

Will more magnification make you a better shooter at 800yd than you are at 300yd? I wonder.

Will it make you think you are?

Is that a good thing?

Will more magnification help you with increased mirage?

Greg

I have shot bulls in each of the last two years with a NF 3.5-15 and it is perfect. If you are in close or are way out there you can go low or high enough in zoom to make the perfect shot. My 2009 bull was killed at 60 yards, I am glad I had it on 3.5 - my scope was still pretty much filled up with bull.

To the OP, 15 would be enough, however, i like more whenever i can have it.

To all those that are bashing the guy for wanting to hunt long range..........He did not ask you if you approved of his choice to hunt at range. he asked about equipment. also you have no idea what kind of shooter he is.

Last year i took a deer a little over 500, and i took a medium sized game animal at 860 yards. Now before you go saying what you can't get closer?...

I also took a buck that i stalked, in new york, with a bow i made by hand out of ipe and bamboo, with cedar arrows that i made, held in a quiver that i made, at 22 yards. It ain't the only time either.

So my point in all this is, <span style="font-weight: bold">hunters should not attack others</span> for wanting to try something different.

i'm sure some asshole compound bow hunter would look at my real bow and say, "it ain't ethical to shoot a deer with a stick." well to him i would say he perverted the whole idea of archery season, with all the gadgets on his metal bow that shoot carbon arrows that don't even have real feathers on them

well hell you get my point, i gotta get back to work. leave each other alone, we are all on the same side

I have no problem with hunting long range at all. I actually prefer it and with some hunts like a Dall Ram chances are good the shot will be long.

I don't understand the more modern view of I need 20X to shoot 500Y on a hunting rifle or any rifle for that matter. I use the same steel to keep my hunting skills sharp that I use to shoot my precision tactical style rifles. Its a 12 X 12" piece of steel so perfectly acceptable accuracy for ethical hunting shots on most small deer much less Elk. I have no issues using a 10X at 500 or 800Y. So long as my range estimation is right then ringing it at 600+ is fine with a 10x or even my 2.5 X 8 VX-3 on my light pack rifle works fine. I keep most hunting shots at 600 or under for the most part due to my caliber but not magnification.

There is a place for 20x for sure and its needed on your F class stick. For a hunting rifle especially in CO that you will carry 40miles and shoot maybe twice those scopes are very heavy, very bulky in brush, and have bad mirage just to name a few drawbacks. The 15x would be better but personally I try to stay with lighter compact optics.

If you prefer to shot high magnification for what ever personal reason that's fine just you do not "need it" for those ranges, not even close.

i have been witness to a 1000yd mover in the wind with a light berger hunting bullet bringing down a game animal on the 1st shot

yes it was a moon shot.....and it was done with a leupold 6.5x20 mildot vari3.......and we had a nomad handheld with all the chicken bones lined up and the wind gods notified......

the target walked about 35 yard and fell over with a shot that went through the plumbing......and i swear the exit hole looks like a keyhole...........so

yes a target optic cranked up enough to see the target well enough to read wind and mirage.......should be GTG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lrt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no problem with hunting long range at all. I actually prefer it and with some hunts like a Dall Ram chances are good the shot will be long.

I don't understand the more modern view of I need 20X to shoot 500Y on a hunting rifle or any rifle for that matter. I use the same steel to keep my hunting skills sharp that I use to shoot my precision tactical style rifles. Its a 12 X 12" piece of steel so perfectly acceptable accuracy for ethical hunting shots on most small deer much less Elk. I have no issues using a 10X at 500 or 800Y. So long as my range estimation is right then ringing it at 600+ is fine with a 10x or even my 2.5 X 8 VX-3 on my light pack rifle works fine. I keep most hunting shots at 600 or under for the most part due to my caliber but not magnification.

There is a place for 20x for sure and its needed on your F class stick. For a hunting rifle especially in CO that you will carry 40miles and shoot maybe twice those scopes are very heavy, very bulky in brush, and have bad mirage just to name a few drawbacks. The 15x would be better but personally I try to stay with lighter compact optics.

If you prefer to shot high magnification for what ever personal reason that's fine just you do not "need it" for those ranges, not even close. </div></div>

i agree with alot of those points. one thing maybe most don't care about (strictly meat hunters)or carry a spotting scope for, is target ID. i want to know if that deer i am about to shoot is a button buck or a mature doe. a "great" buck or one i should let walk. and i don't wanna lug a bunch of extra equip to do a job my 20x rifle scope is perfectly capable of.

now if 10x gets that done for you at 500 yards, well done for you. for me i need at least 20x to be sure i am not shooting a large button buck. I shot a big mama deer with my granddads open sight 30-30(which turned out to be a button buck) after checking it multiple times with my 10x binos for bumps. scope would have been nice. dark woods, fast action...to each his own

all im sayin is i can hit the hell out of it with opens or 10x, the question most of the time is "should i be shooting it at all?"

i've got a 5.5-22x56 npr2 high speed zero stop on my 280AI. going on an elk hunt in MT myself this year. i'm confident out to 700 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would find a new hobby if I was planning on 800+ yard shots on animals as tough to bring down as elk. But hey, to each his own. </div></div>

bash this viper. lol.

i have seen this sentiment too many times "i would find a new hobby"= you are not qualified as a hunter in my book because of your decision to......whatever the case may be.

Last year I took a coyote at 35 yards and another at 785 yards with my 6.5-20 loopy. Something the size of an elk at 800 should be do-able with anything 15-25x. I shot an antelope at 712 this last December and she was pretty small too. I zoomed the scope down to 6.5 real quick for the 35 yard coyote that snuck in behind us. The others were at 17.?x, where the Loopy reticle is "zeroed" and dialed from there. A man has got to know his limitations.

i bought my 5.5-22x56 for long range hunting out to 800ish. however i am personally not comfortable with my skill level enough to take shots past 500. id go to 600 in a no or little wind.

i dont think you could go wrong with either option. also another scope to look at is the swarovski with ballistic turret or a br style recticle

I would consider spotting impact a higher priority than seeing the animal up close and personal. If he's big you know it immediately and typically don't need 20x to tell you otherwise. Shooting out to a mile is easy with a 12x in an environment that's dusty. Not so much in a soiled environment. Muzzle brakes and higher power will help you pick up little subtle disturbances that you won't pick up with a lesser powered optic at distance.

Just food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I would prefer a lighter, more compact scope than a NF for CO hunting. As stated, the 3-10x you have should be more than enough; of course, I prefer a bow for chasing elk.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I think I would find a new hobby if I was planning on 800+ yard shots on animals as tough to bring down as elk. But hey, to each his own.</span> </div></div>

I have personally seen a 6x6 elk hit with a .338L, solid broadside heart and lungs at 660yds, it took 3 rounds to put him down. I can kinda understand where Matchking is coming from when pertaining to Elk. They are some tough bastards. </div></div>

I saw a dude (on a video, granted) take out a moose in Alaska at 890 yards with a 7mm Mag. 1 shot would likely have done the job, but he put 2 in him anyways just to make sure he was humane abut it.

fair enough viper.

i put three rounds through my 5x5 at 300 yards before he gave up the ghost. they are tough. I get the statement in that context.

one thing is for sure in my mind, don't care what anybody says, lb for lb squirrels are the toughtest animal on this planet.

Have you considered the Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 X 56 with the B&C reticle.

The B&C reticle enables you to "range find" with out using and actual electronic device. There are also left and right holds marked to help adjust for wind. It weighs under 2 lbs. and has enough range of magnification to be able to be useful in brush or open country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I would prefer a lighter, more compact scope than a NF for CO hunting. As stated, the 3-10x you have should be more than enough; of course, I prefer a bow for chasing elk.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I think I would find a new hobby if I was planning on 800+ yard shots on animals as tough to bring down as elk. But hey, to each his own.</span> </div></div>

I have personally seen a 6x6 elk hit with a .338L, solid broadside heart and lungs at 660yds, it took 3 rounds to put him down. I can kinda understand where Matchking is coming from when pertaining to Elk. They are some tough bastards. </div></div>

I saw a dude (on a video, granted) take out a moose in Alaska at 890 yards with a 7mm Mag. 1 shot would likely have done the job, but he put 2 in him anyways just to make sure he was humane abut it.</div></div> \

...and I've seen 100 lb whitetail take two or three rounds of 6.5x55/.243/.308 straight through the lungs @ less than 100 yards before they went down. Poking holes in critters' lungs almost never drops them, imho and has nothing to do with cartridge/bullet/shooter performance.

-The Kid.

Use what you have if the rig groups well and maintain zero...use the dollars saved on ammo and practice...as usual,you will be the weak link...more x' s on glass will help resolve smaller targets at greater distances...not the case here...8 or 10 power on the top end is more than enough for elk out to the limits of most cartridges you would use for that purpose...

304yds 6.5-20 mk4

Picture357.jpg

Picture361.jpg

4.5-14 ( cant remember) like 20 or 30 yds

Picture553.jpg

5.5-22

pic022.jpg

6.5-20
7ish if I remember
Picture034.jpg

cant remember

Picture026.jpg

I wana say 730ish

Picture018.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

3.5-15 300yds ish

Picture180.jpg

I get to start culling does and cows again in two monthes, Ill be using my nf 5.5-22s( prob my fav scope) alot.

No probs with a 5.5-22 for me

pic040.jpg

Most of my hunting rifles have a 3-9x and last year I bought a 4.5-14x. If you feel that you need more magnification, that is up to you. We practice shooting off of shooting sticks all of the way to 800 yards. If you practice with what you are going to carry in the field and get comfortable with it, you will be fine. There have been a few times that I wished that I had a little more power but I think that 14 or 15x would be more than plenty. I have seen Elk and Oryx get killed at 600 to 800 yards with a 3x9 scope. If you spend enough time behind the scope and practice making the shot using your pack, shooting sticks, a bipod or whatever you will have with you in the field, it will more than make up for a the extra magnification. Also, as mentioned above, more magnification means more mirage to deal with. Good luck.

I have several scopes I can choose from...
There is no problem shooting 5.5x22 if the animal is standing.
Moving may be a problem but so will my 3x12.

For me I always shoot better with a rest and big glass.
I always choose the 6x24 or 5.5x22 over my 3x12.
I do not have a 3x15 to choose from and the guys here may be right about it being a good tradeoff.

I did some experimenting and found that for me 18-24 are all about the same. Maybe that is why the USO 3-18 is so popular.

For me the NF 5.5x22 works great. I always leave it at 5.5 and it is easy with the FOV to get on target. Reach up while looking thru the scope and twist the entire eye piece while staying on target. Different but pretty simple.

And the best feature is getting all the help I can get to avoid shooting a fork at long range during spike only season.