• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics for my Little girls AR

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
AS some of you know, I'm starting to gather all the goodies for building Abby's first AR15. She is 7 years old and a shooting fool, so, I was thinking about the Eotech 512 for a sighting system for this AR, any suggestions or comments, I want to keep it a dot sight and with little to no magnifications. Is the Eotech a good unit to start with? I cant spend a bunch on it but want to get her something good. Please let me know

Curtis

Re: Optics for my Little girls AR

I love the 512. It should be great for her. By the way, where at in Alaska are you? I'm at Eielson about to move to Elmendorf.

I'd buy her a 1-4x Millett DMS or a Weaver 1-3x. She'll be able to use it with both eyes open at 1x, but also be able to crank it up and practice longer range precision shooting.

An EOTech is ideal for folks who need to quickly know where the barrel is pointed, perhaps, not knowing how to do it with the AR's superior iron sights. Of course, to properly use irons, your daughter will likely need some training in the fundementals of marksmanship. With an understanding of the AR's BDC sight, it is more useful than a dot sight, even one that's parallax free, as both BSZ and BDC functions are possible from an initial 300 meter zero. And, when aiming at the sort of targets the AR is designed to hit, good hits are probable out to about 600 meters. Plus, when consistent resolution can be established between the front sight and target, accuracy can be as good as it gets. The only requirement to use irons effectively is to be able to focus on the front sight. Bottom-line, consider your project in terms of helping your daughter get a good start to becoming an exceptional shooter. The EOTech is what you want after irons are understood, not before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An EOTech is ideal for folks who need to quickly know where the barrel is pointed but do not know how to do it with the AR's superior iron sights. Of course, to use irons, your daughter will need some training in the fundementals of marksmanship, which is essential for best results. The AR's BDC sight is more useful than a dot sight, even one that's parallax free, as both BSZ and BDC functions are possible from an initial 300 meter zero. Aiming at the sort of targets the AR is accustomed to, good hits are probable out to about 600 meters. And, certainly, when consistent resolution can be established between the front sight and target, accuracy can be as good as it gets. The only requirement to use irons effectively is to be able to focus on the front sight. Bottomline, consider your project in terms of helping your daughter get a good start to becoming an exceptional shooter. The EOTech is what you want after irons are understood, not before. </div></div>

I agree with the above and that is why I am leaving my latest AR KISS. I intend to finally learn to shoot with iron. BUIS, if you will. So, in case I ever need to go to a back up iron, I will be able to do so effectively.

I have put it off for too long.

I wont actually be using BUIS, though, rather the A2 sight and carry handle rear.

Sterling and Hydro...we are talking about a 7 y.o. girl here, not an 18 y.o. going in to the service or you guys. I have to agree and the Eotech 511/512 is perfect for a little girl to have fun shooting heads up. She will be happy and smiling to make hits and want to shoot more. When she is 8 or 9 you can start teaching her the use of the irons. Introducing kids to shooting is to let them enjoy it so they will want to keep doing it, NOT put them into boot camp like my old man did with me. Hell, I had to be able to strip a Garand blind-folded by the time I was 12.

Let your girl enjoy shooting first, you have the right idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sterling and Hydro...we are talking about a 7 y.o. girl here, not an 18 y.o. going in to the service or you guys. I have to agree and the Eotech 511/512 is perfect for a little girl to have fun shooting heads up. She will be happy and smiling to make hits and want to shoot more. When she is 8 or 9 you can start teaching her the use of the irons. Introducing kids to shooting is to let them enjoy it so they will want to keep doing it, NOT put them into boot camp like my old man did with me. Hell, I had to be able to strip a Garand blind-folded by the time I was 12.

Let your girl enjoy shooting first, you have the right idea.</div></div>

It's a really good idea for a youngster to learn how to shoot starting with irons, the whole experience inspires continued interest in shooting, as just going out to execute the firing task will bore most youngsters very quickly. If the youngster is too young to grasp basic marksmanship concepts, the youngster is too young for any shooting.

Sterling you and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. I taught my daughter to shoot since age 8. We started with safety, then learning to shoot her 10/22 with a scope for fun. Then we moved her to a single shot 12 built to my specs for her to shoot clays with. After that she graduated to a 20 semi-auto. However, the whole time it was ensuring she had fun and was safe. Girls for the most part at not like teaching gunho boys to shoot. If you want them to be a shooting partner later in years after they discover boys, you had better train them in safety and making it enjoyable.

Save some money for ammo and buy her a vortex strikefire. I use it on my M&P15t. It is a very nice red dot with a 2x mag and mount for 150.00.

My boy is 7 and shoots the center out with peep sights on his little Savage Cub.

I agree with Sterling. If you want to build marksmanship skills start with irons. It's much easier to teach someone who can shoot with irons to use a scope. The inverse is more difficult.

Guns, it's the attitude of the father that decides if the kids have fun, not the sighting system. You start with the target close in at "can't miss" range to build their confidence and slowly move it out as they increase skill. Mix in some reactive target and soon they forget they are learning something.

EOTech's and Aimpoints are faster that irons for close combat because they allow you to be sloppy.

I let my boy shoot my scoped Savage MkII from time to time and he loves it, but he knows he has to earn his scope by mastering the irons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An EOTech is ideal for folks who need to quickly know where the barrel is pointed, perhaps, not knowing how to do it with the AR's superior iron sights. Of course, to properly use irons, your daughter will likely need some training in the fundementals of marksmanship. With an understanding of the AR's BDC sight, it is more useful than a dot sight, even one that's parallax free, as both BSZ and BDC functions are possible from an initial 300 meter zero. And, when aiming at the sort of targets the AR is designed to hit, good hits are probable out to about 600 meters. Plus, when consistent resolution can be established between the front sight and target, accuracy can be as good as it gets. The only requirement to use irons effectively is to be able to focus on the front sight. Bottom-line, consider your project in terms of helping your daughter get a good start to becoming an exceptional shooter. The EOTech is what you want after irons are understood, not before. </div></div>

I agree with what your saying the fundementals is somthing that i have been working on with toy guns for a long time. I plan to have the fold down style of Iron Sights. She has only 500 rounds under her belt and She will not be getting this gift for the better part of 6 months so I have + 30 range trips to keep working. She is doing very well. I want to keep it fun for her. I'm a old 10meter shooter, and would love for her to follow in my foot steps, the eotech or what ever will be, is for slowly adding in optics.

this is her first two shots ever! they where at 25 yards.
DSCN0252.jpg

DSCN0248.jpg

Upgrade that cricket to peeps and see what she can do!

My boy can finally single load for himself, and we are on the way. I am going to get him into competition as soon as possible.

ITs the Henerys, so I have not looked at getting a peep on it as of yet, Thinking of it, I dont see how that unit can take a peep. I was reloading for her for the first 10 rounds, then i got the "dad I can do that"

I looked at both the Henry and the Cricket when I was in the market for a small rifle. I ended up buying the Savage Cub. It cocks on opening like the larger rifles and comes with peeps. It also had a nice laminated wood stock. It's a little heavier though and my son is just now getting to where he can shoot positions with it.