• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics for my SCAR 17S

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
Ive got 2 SCAR 16s and have Acogs on them. Absolutely love the set up. I didnt really want a SCAR Heavy, but I couldnt pass up the dirt cheap deal. What are you guys running on you SCAR 17s for optics. I dont think I would be happy with a rifle scope but I definitely want something with magnification to get out there but will also work at short range as well. I saw a Norden Performance CRS that looked pretty cool, but Ive never heard of them and hate to drop a grand on some Chinese piece of crap. Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks

Re: Optics for my SCAR 17S

I run a USO SN4 1-4x on my SCAR 16S. They no longer make the 1-4x because they switched over to 1.5-6x which I think would be perfect on a 308 battle rifle. However, they are a little hefty compared to an ACOG if your concerned about weight.

I have my NXS 1-4 power scope on mine, illuminated mildot reticle with zerostop.

Thanks for the help guys, still wondering if anyone has used the Norden Performance.

I have this on my 3gun set up, but would be perfect for your scar / battle rifle set up IMO. Vortex viper pst 1-4 with capped turrets (can still adjust with fingers and set zero on the fly and will not get bumped during action). Got it for $449.99 after $30 promocode with free shipping. One bad ass little scope for the money. Midway runs a lot of $30 promocodes for orders for $300, just need a little luck and use the power of google search. Oh yeah, VIP Unconditional Lifetime transferable warranty no questions asked.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458642/...q-reticle-matte

can also get the exposed turrets if that is your thing ( i don't think i would do this with such a low power scope / battle rifle scar set up IMO,,, I would use exposed turrets if it was more a DM 4-16 power set up tho): http://www.midwayusa.com/product/126574/...q-reticle-matte

Check out the new USO 1-8x FFP if it fits the budget

I have a vortex pst 2.5x10x44mm sfp that works great on mine. If I had waited a little longer I would put the new vortex 2.5x10x32mm ffp. I will definitely be getting this scope for many more future ar type builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falsecrack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best optic I've used on a 17 was the elcan specter. </div></div>

^^This^^. It's like they were made for each other. </div></div>

On my 17 I have run a NF 5.5-22x56, a Eotech + Mag, a NF 2.5-10x32 and an elcan.

Elcan wins hands down, but the NF 2.5-10x32 is a step down and price and a great great scope.

I like the 1.5-6x Specter DR. I think you are also on a good track with the Norden 1-6x CRS, which isn't Chinese, but Japanese glass.

If you go Vortex, the 1-6x24 Razor HD would be the best bet for an all-purpose optic. If you're specifically setting it up in the Sniper Support Rifle role, a good 2.5-10x would be better, like the unobtainium NF 2.5-10x24.

Then look at the Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP, SF.

For compactness, the Specter DR 1.5-6x is the winner easily, and the dot is more than daylight visible. I played with it in running & gunning close-range distances, and the 1.5x is about as easy to use as a standard RDS. The glass is impressive on the Elcans as well.

P1020666.jpg

Hi, first post here on the hide. I have decided to replace my TA11 on my SCAR and am looking hard at the Elcan. What kind of accuracy are you getting at 5? My issue with the ACOG is for some reason past 150 yards my group goes to hell. I had way better luck with an old Leupold Mark 5 but it was too slow for close in. Looked at a Mark 6 yesterday with the CMRW reticle and didn't care for it. Maybe a TMR but the Elcan looks like it has potential to hit the sweet spot for close with the string dot and my inky question how it works at 5 power.

Thanks