• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Option for replacing the J arm on my rhino mount

giannid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
I'm searching and am really not finding the info I want so I figure I'll ask here. Right now I have the standard rhino mount mounted to my helmet with the J arm that holds my pvs to the rhino mount with the clip the J arm uses. I'm sure this is the standard that most people on a budget use. I've been using it for awhile and it's served me well. Just kind of get frustrated with it at night sometimes when I go to flip the PVS down and touch it at the wrong place and the clip comes undone. I do have a retention cord on the pvs so it doesn't land on the ground but it's a hole production to take the helmet off and reset the mount. I know there's better mounts out there for a price. Is there anyway to replace the piece on the rhino mount that accepts the clip and use something other than the j arm to hold the pvs. Looking for something a little more solit that's super expensive. I was thinking of using epoxy to glue the j arm clip into the rhino mount. I almost wish there was a way to permanently attach the J arm clip into the rhino. I sometimes use the pvs 14 as a monocular on a lanyard and it's easy enough to just unscrew it off the j arm. Suggestions please :)

Attachments

• photo84850.jpg
    photo84850.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 86
Standard rhino wears as do j-arms. Rhino has a "kind of" break free system... tighten all the Allen set screws on the rhino on the "insert j arm here" point. If you can borrow a new j arm to test that, you will probably have fixed your problem.
It did on mine with the old j arm.
But if the rhino is worn out, and it's possible rhino on eBay, 50-75$.
If the j arm bayonet end is worn, a new j arm on eBay 20$.

There are at least 5 rhino options from norotos and wilcox both. 100.00 to 500.00 to 900.00 depending on how much u want to spend....

EBay can be your friend. Try tightening the screws first, if you already haven't.

My J arm is pretty tight. I really think it's just a bad design for use at night. As long as I don't touch the clip it doesn't come off. The clip is just in a bad spot. I will try to tighten it up though. Someone has to make a dovetail adapter for the rhino though. It would solve everything.

Dovetail rhino, they do. norotos (aka2 ($500.00), two TaTM's) and wilcox (3 or 4 of their offerings ($500-900)) both. Dovetail j arm is $100.00 from wilcox. Norotos doesn't make a dovetail j arm (they make a dual dovetail mount). Wilcox 14004G01 ($50.00) adapts a bayonet j arm to a dovetail horn. Go to their websites.
If i can help further, will try.

The norotos rhino ll H mount versus the standard rhino. I have both. H is the latest greatest (NOT) and is guaranteed to hit the release raising the unit, the standard has never been a problem with me or a bunch of other people around me.
You didn't say which horn/mount you were having trouble with, I assumed (ass of me) you had the standard, the most common and most available for the past 10 or so years. sorry bout that.

Last edited:
Looks like someone figured out the conversion. This has to be the cheapest way to upgrade without breaking the bank. Yeah I have the standard horn mount on my Rhino with the J arm. Link posted from another forum.

I just figured it out. I have the Rhino 2 mount. Looks like my only option to convert it is the thread I posted from another forum.

I just figured it out. I have the Rhino 2 mount. Looks like my only option to convert it is the thread I posted from another forum.

Then you have the rhino ll H. they do make a rhino ll D already set up dovetail. I've only seen it on the website, never in person.
But yes, you can buy the block from tnvc, pull the roll pin, replace the block like the other thread.

But you still have to find a dovetail j arm. Wilcox arm 100.00 or Wilcox 14004H01 $45.00 on your old j arm. Or norotos dual dovetail mount $145.00.

Again, best to you, some times ebay is our friend...

I have the norotos dual mount. Its pretty good. I hate the stock j-arm, even with a dovetail on it. .