• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Origin or not?

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    This has been probably beat to death, but I am VERY tempted to spring for an Origin. I have been looking at them for a while, and could build a decent 308/223 switch barrel. The other action on my radar is a Tenacity, but the Origin seems like it checks a lot of the boxes at a killer price point. I see plenty of positive reviews, but does anyone have any negatives to say about it?

The only complaint Ive ever heard about the bighorns is that with the bolt all the way back it can bind. The only way I can get mine to bind is by not pushing it foward but to the side which... yeah, of course its not going to go forward when you arent pushing it forward, fucking retards. Every bolt Ive ever touched does that so I really dont get what the issue is.

Get one, youll like it. Or the tenacity, youll really like it. Doesnt matter.

At this point I’ve got 600ish rounds and countless dry fire cycles on my action with out a hiccup. Only thing I’ve done was have zermatt swap my original early production bolt body for the revised one to make timing the trigger a little easier.
    62D8E310-25CB-48AD-AC76-0BF7C19C745B.jpeg

Last edited:
    I started running an Origin this year. Have a hair under 1100 rounds thru it. No problems. Like spife7980 said, there is a touch of binding when bring the bolt all the way back hard against the bolt stop. But nothing huge. It's not like it locks up or anything.
    Unless you have a gunsmith that knows what he's doing or you can do it, you can send your trigger and action to zermatt and they will time your trigger for you.

$ 4 $, IMO, you can't beat the Origin.

I had to part with my first TL3 for family reasons... As soon as I was able I was going to replace it but thought I'd try an Origin instead. I had it in my hands for a minute and knew it wouldn't suit my needs. The bolt lift is notably heavier than a TL3. The cam actually moves the firing pin a good bit further back... This is done to improve reliability. But in sitting and prone rapids this extra force required would push me further off target, so I sold it the next day and bought a new TL3.

Now, all that being said.... I'm looking for a used Origin right now for a hunting rifle build.... So I still think they are great actions. Buy with confidence.

My origin is fantastic. You have to look pretty hard to find a negative, but if I were to list some they would be:
    1) The bolt is fairly loose in the receiver when it's pulled all the way back. I haven't felt a whole bunch of custom actions so it may be common among actions. I have zero issues running the action in the field though, so like I said if you were being super nitpicky you could maybe say that was a downside.
    2) I would say the bolt doesn't run in and out as smoothly as a Tikka, but it's pretty smooth none the less.
    3) The bolt knob options are awesome, so it doesn't really matter, but the bolt handle is not threaded in the fairly standard 5/16"-24TPI, so don't plan on using any after market bolt knob.

One point about your switch barrel idea, I'm sure it will work just fine, but you might want to take a look at the price of your second bolt head before you commit, I think it's going to be around $200 after shipping but check with them. I had considered a similar thing until I saw the price of another bolt head and my thought was that's a significant portion of just buying another action. Food for thought.

Also, not sure if it matters to you, but the Origin is extremely popular and as a result a lot or maybe most pre-fit manufactures offer barrels for it. In my experience pre-fits are much more commonly available then they are for other custom actions. For me this is a big plus and a reason I'd choose an Origin over many others.

Have fun!

I got my Origin from Brownells and used a 10% off code. It feeds so smooth I've had friends question weather it loaded a round or not. I love the rifle and everyone who's pulled the trigger on it has left with permagrin.

I ordered one early this month and can't wait for it to be ready. I was told 6-10 week lead time, so if on the shorter range it should be done in a couple weeks. It will be my first custom action and have everything else ready for it. This is worse than waiting for a Form 4 to come back and it's only 1/4 the wait time.

I got my Origin from Brownells and used a 10% off code. It feeds so smooth I've had friends question weather it loaded a round or not. I love the rifle and everyone who's pulled the trigger on it has left with permagrin.
    Just so everyone knows - I don't think you can use the 10% off Zermatt actions anymore. I think they changed that sometime earlier this year as I remember seeing a disclaimer for Zermatt specific items in the fine print.

As for OP - just go ahead and get one. Absolutely love mine.

Last edited:
    I guess I’ll just pile on. Do it...you know you want to

A Bighorn action, not necessarily a specific one, is on my short list of future actions

I have 2 origins. The newer one is smoother even after getting the new bolt body replacement. They are both great actions with the options most shooters want. I recommend them as often as I can. Go for it.

At this point I’ve got 600ish rounds and countless dry fire cycles on my action with out a hiccup. Only thing I’ve done was have zermatt swap my original early production bolt body for the revised one to make timing the trigger a little easier.View attachment 7337159
    [/QUOTEwhen did they change the bolt to a upgraded one?Mine has pretty heavy cock on close.

Just so everyone knows - I don't think you can use the 10% off Zermatt actions anymore. I think they changed that sometime earlier this year as I remember seeing a disclaimer for Zermatt specific items in the fine print.

As for OP - just go ahead and get one. Absolutely love mine.
    Must have been recent. I think I got mine in late Feb or early March.

What is y’all preference on the bolt knobs? I’m torn between the tactical and the comp.

I’ve already reached out to Bighorn, and most likely gonna get one through them and let them time the trigger for me as well.

Reactions: The D
    What is y’all preference on the bolt knobs? I’m torn between the tactical and the comp.

I’ve already reached out to Bighorn, and most likely gonna get one through them and let them time the trigger for me as well.

Tactical.

Teardrop.

It's one of the bigger ones plus I like not having sharp edges.

My origin is fantastic. You have to look pretty hard to find a negative, but if I were to list some they would be:
    1) The bolt is fairly loose in the receiver when it's pulled all the way back. I haven't felt a whole bunch of custom actions so it may be common among actions. I have zero issues running the action in the field though, so like I said if you were being super nitpicky you could maybe say that was a downside.
    2) I would say the bolt doesn't run in and out as smoothly as a Tikka, but it's pretty smooth none the less.
    3) The bolt knob options are awesome, so it doesn't really matter, but the bolt handle is not threaded in the fairly standard 5/16"-24TPI, so don't plan on using any after market bolt knob.

One point about your switch barrel idea, I'm sure it will work just fine, but you might want to take a look at the price of your second bolt head before you commit, I think it's going to be around $200 after shipping but check with them. I had considered a similar thing until I saw the price of another bolt head and my thought was that's a significant portion of just buying another action. Food for thought.

Also, not sure if it matters to you, but the Origin is extremely popular and as a result a lot or maybe most pre-fit manufactures offer barrels for it. In my experience pre-fits are much more commonly available then they are for other custom actions. For me this is a big plus and a reason I'd choose an Origin over many others.

Have fun!

Magnum bolt heads are $175.99 from Brownell's, standard are $125.99. If you want a switch barrel setup then be sure to buy the action with magnum bolt head as it's same cost and action with standard bolt head. Then just add on the $126 for the standard bolt hold for your switch setup.

Reactions: archangel485
    I forget at what point they did, but my serial number was in the low 200’s. I say give Ray an email and he’ll give you all the details.

Shouldered prefits for the Origin; looking at Criterion. What tools are needed to install at home versus having a GS do it?

Barrel vice, action tool from zermatt and a torque wrench. I’ve got the 21st vice and it’s solid for a reasonable price

Barrel vice, action tool from zermatt and a torque wrench. I’ve got the 21st vice and it’s solid for a reasonable price

Exactly. The Zermatt action wrench is handy but if you have an ordinary one it will work if you remove the extractor, it requires a very small Allen wrench.

I have an Origin and a TL3. If I were blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell the difference (other than the bolt handle angle). You won't regret the purchase.

Reactions: King_beardsly