• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORYX chassis

Doll_Girl999

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2020
I have a Remington .223 with 26" factory barrel[not threaded] in the cheap factory plastic stock.I want to put this in an oryx chassis,has anybody used this chassis and what did you thank of it.Most of my shooting is 300yd and under with some trips out to 500,600 & 700yds.

Thanks guys for any help/advice

Reactions: D. Miller
I have a Howa Mini Action in one and it is a good solid budget chassis. I bought mine when they just started making them and have not had an issue with it. It is a bit on the heavy side and MDT has been coming out with accessories for it, but it is still some what of a minimalist chassis in what you can add to it.

It’s an improvement over what you have but imo there’s too many better options available.

The Oryx is a great chassis for the money. Are there better? Sure for 2 or 3 times the price.
Get it. You'll be happy.

For the money, nothing better in my opinion. Only gripe, no place for a QD sling mount up front.

I'm looking to buy one of these for a HOWA 1500 Short Action but I'm having trouble finding one for a good deal. I see where some other people have posted buying these for as low as $299 but everything I'm finding is $399? How much are these really selling for?

Thanks,

I have my savage in a oryx chassis and it shoots light out. Best $350 I put into my rifle.

disclaimer: don’t use my load without working up.
DEAAE5B2-BE01-4A5E-9197-6C1EE94F5AD8.png
C4AACC06-8FB0-496F-BE59-0A1BBDDDC2EE.png

I have a Savage in one and a Tikka T1x in one. Both rifles shoot much better in the Oryx than they did in the factory tupperware. It's a bit heavy (if that matters to you) and very rigid. The ergos really work for me, especially with a vertical grip (MDT adjustable or Anarchy Outdoors Tuxedo). I've got no complaints with mine.

My factory Savage went for shooting about 1.2 moa to .6 moa when I put it in an Oryx chasis.
BTW, I've never seen them for $299. But I think they are a deal at $400.

Reactions: gchellin
I will not name action, barrel, and stock, but all top of everyone's list here. 6.5 CM.

Barreled action group size cut in half going from a $1,200 stock/chassis to the Oryx.

Did not believe it myself so made the switch again with the same results.

Do not underestimate the Oryx.

After careful thought, I believe the straight back design of the Oryx aids in managing recoil.

Last edited:
I will not name action, barrel, and stock, but all top of everyone's list here. 6.5 CM.

Barreled action group size cut in half going from a $1,200 stock/chassis to the Origin.

Did not believe it myself so made the switch again with the same results.

Do not underestimate the Origin.

After careful thought, I believe the straight back design of the Origin aids in managing recoil.
You mean oryx?

I'm looking to buy one of these for a HOWA 1500 Short Action but I'm having trouble finding one for a good deal. I see where some other people have posted buying these for as low as $299 but everything I'm finding is $399? How much are these really selling for?

Thanks,

Sign up on MDT's and Oryx's websites for sales on there items. They also have every now and then, blemish sales on there chassis. It's the best way to get good stuff cheap. ;)

Reactions: _JT
My factory Savage went for shooting about 1.2 moa to .6 moa when I put it in an Oryx chasis.
BTW, I've never seen them for $299. But I think they are a deal at $400.
Excellent info. I have a factory Savage and have been looking to throw it in the Oryx. Much appreciated!

Excellent info. I have a factory Savage and have been looking to throw it in the Oryx. Much appreciated!

I have a Savage model 12 LVP that I mounted into an Oryx. Definitely a great bang for the buck, I was eyeing out a KRG Alpha 180 but I didn’t want to put a bunch of $ into the Savage. Glad I went with the Oryx, it’s rigid and I like the grip angle. No problems feeding from AICS mags, and it’s a hell of a lot better than the factory laminated wood stock. If you get the Oryx pick up an extra set of butt spacers, I ended up adding 2 spacers to get the LOP perfect for me.

I have a Savage model 12 LVP that I mounted into an Oryx. Definitely a great bang for the buck, I was eyeing out a KRG Alpha 180 but I didn’t want to put a bunch of $ into the Savage. Glad I went with the Oryx, it’s rigid and I like the grip angle. No problems feeding from AICS mags, and it’s a hell of a lot better than the factory laminated wood stock. If you get the Oryx pick up an extra set of butt spacers, I ended up adding 2 spacers to get the LOP perfect for me.

That’s a good bit of information for sure. I appreciate that. If you don’t mind, how tall are you? I’m 5’10.

Hey guys, sorry to bring back an old post. I was just curious about the ORYX chassis. Some reviews show a QD mount on the butt stick with a Mlok slot on the bottom of the butt stock as well and some don’t and I’m only seeing 1 model for sale which looks like the one without the QD or Mlok. Anyone know where I can find one with those two options?

The two Oryx chassis I have are MLOK. If you wanted to change to ARCA, you would need one that mounts to MLOK.

For example, I use a sling with QD. So, I added MLOK mounted QD bases with kits you can get from Amazon.

QD studs with MLOK mounts

There are 3 versions of the Oryx chassis, 1st gen with just the side QD's on the buttstock, 2nd with the QD and Mlock on the buttstock, 3rd with just the Mlock on the bottom of the buttstock.

So, it will be a crap shoot on what you will get if you buy used, like from the PX. I would just email MDT and make sure that they are still putting the Mlock holes on the bottom of the buttstock and buy one new if they are, as you can then add a pic rail with a QD cup cut in it for a sling.

Reactions: Mouthwash
There are 3 versions of the Oryx chassis, 1st gen with just the side QD's on the buttstock, 2nd with the QD and Mlock on the buttstock, 3rd with just the Mlock on the bottom of the buttstock.

So, it will be a crap shoot on what you will get if you buy used, like from the PX. I would just email MDT and make sure that they are still putting the Mlock holes on the bottom of the buttstock and buy one new if they are, as you can then add a pic rail with a QD cup cut in it for a sling.
I’ll have to email MDT on that, that’s too bad they went away from the 2nd gen. Is there a place for pic rail on the butt stock?

That’s a good point, I’m new with this whole thing and I just started getting into this. Thanks for the advice, I’ll look into getting those but my only issue is finding on that is a 3 or 4 slot that has a QD mount. Any bigger, I think it would stick out
I have had great results with my Oryx chassis for two different rifles. A .308, so SA inlet. And a 7 PRC, so a LA inset.

The only thing about the Oryx chassis that must be dealt with is the hard plastic butt plate. Falcon Strike makes hydraulic pads which are great but they only make them for traditional stock shapes and for the carbine style of the AR-15 and AR-10 platform. They do not make them for the chassis butts like the LDT LSS Gen 2 with folding stock adapter and SCS buttstock I have for another rifle.

I drew dimensions, took pics, and sent an email to MDT. I even got to have a phone call with one of the engineers. He understood what I was trying to do but none of their existing products could be adapted. And they were not going to make a one-off, just for me.

So, the best bet is the Limbsaver Airtech. It really works well and you can shoot or 40 rounds and not hurt.