• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OT - Compare iPhone and Android Features

G

After much research, I went with the Droid Incredible, but researching the features and options across platforms was a challenge to say the least.

If you're due an upgrade, this head to head comparison may be helpful to you.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-vs-iphone-4-specs

iphone_4_vs_android_tech_specs.jpg

Re: OT - Compare iPhone and Android Features

Did they make the screen bigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did they make the screen bigger? </div></div>

You'll want to hold out for the Dell Streak.

Compare Prison (iPhone) to Freedom (Android) That's all I can say on this topic, because I don't feel like writing an essay. There are plenty available online.

I'm all for Android, I am running Android 2.2 Froyo on a Nexus One and do quite a bit of development on it.

Tucker, looks like you got a great phone. I ended up with a Droid after looking at iPhones and Droids. I love the Android OS, plus AT&T doesn't hardly have a network at all where I live. I wanted something I could use, and my phone is quite speedy at home.

I love my iPhone, wouldnt trade it for anything! And cant wait to get a iPhone4. The resolution on the screen is incredible, it is fast as shit (not like my 3GS is slow or anything) and HD video at 30fps, nuff said!

Oh and did I mention Ballistic FTE?????

Hardware, manufacturing, style wise, Apple is hard to beat.
Their stuff is just razor sharp in terms of cleanness of lines and attention to details on all fronts:

iPhone IV Gallery

Glass, stainless steel, clean cuts, perfect manufacturing down to the single friggen screw.
HTC, I'm sorry, but you've got A LOT to learn there. So do many (all?) other phone manufacturers. You can tell Chinese/Taiwanese how to manufacture stuff (maybe?), just don't let them design it.

Software wise, OS UI.
The iPhone UI is much smoother than the Android one, which seems more like one of the many broken Window Managers for Linux.
And this comes from someone which has a Mac Pro converted to Linux as its main development box, six inches from his own right leg.
I love Linux, which is what I use every single day for my job and pleasure, but the UI layers are just a mess on all fronts.
Android is by all means no exception there.

Software wise, development environment and framework.
I can't say I love neither Java nor Objective-C, but when the simpler Calculator sucks 32 MB of RSS and 100MB of VSZ, on a mobile device, you might want to take a step back and reconsider the whole Java+Jit thing.
On the iPhone, you're looking at 1/10 of the memory footprint.
Java allows for more masses to be able to cook up their own apps, and feed the Hype Store, but mobile device hardware constraints would call for a more careful framework resource usage.
Java/Jit is just too much memory expensive if you want performance not to suck.

App Store wise.
I hate Apple's Nazi policies, which allow them to nuke your application simply because it conflicts with their own business plans.
The Android one is much better from that POV, there is no doubt about it. And with Apple being Apple, this is not going to change anytime soon.

I've got the Moto Droid and it is by the far the best phone I've had. The call quality is hands down crisp and clear, the apps are great and best of all you can root the damn thing!!

I have played with the iPhone and its very intuitive, and easy to use. But I recently just picked up the EVO through Sprint and its blowing me away so far, the damn phone is fast even without 4G in my area, and the apps are pretty cool too.

I have the Iphone 3G and am waiting for new 4g phone but my biggest complaint is the actual phone part of the iphone and the number of dropped calls even in excellant coverage areas. I am pretty sure its ATT and not the iphone itself but it really is a major problem. I won't get into Apples insane fight with adobe over flash.

Android 2.2 is getting flash player. Apple doesn't sound like they are close to that. Flash is a big thing for me. I have a Droid and have used a 3gs. I prefer Droid over apple. Even the iPhone 4 and its new features, which is a bold statement. And by the way android phones have shooter. That ballistic app is very good. Uses litz's bc's and is very accurate. IPhone doesn't impress me, neither does att.

Flash has no business being on a phone, hell it shouldnt even be on your computer. It is buggy to say the least. Adobe cant even write a decent flash version for mac that works all the time, what makes them think they can do it for the iPhone?

I have the EVO as well and it is the coolest badest phone I have ever plyed with!!

I have fought off getting the iphone for 2 years and I have played with many of them and I have always wanted one.

After looking readinga ton the last few months I said i would wait for the EVO and I am 100% happy with this phone!!

I dont know how I ever survived with a blackberry and not a IPHONE and I am now a happy EVO fan!!

Canvas (HTML5) is much safer and it is quickly catching up to Flash in performance.

Ill take the so called virus magnet on my phone. It looks sweet as hell and enables websites to come to life. Can't wait til 2.2 comes out for Droid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flash has no business being on a phone, hell it shouldnt even be on your computer. It is buggy to say the least. Adobe cant even write a decent flash version for mac that works all the time, what makes them think they can do it for the iPhone?</div></div>
You are drinking too much of the Kool aid Steve Jobs has been selling. The real reason the Apple won't allow flash on the Iphone has to do with control over APPs. with flash based aplications you wouldn't need apples APP store. Its all about controling the revenue stream

Exactly ^

However, if you drive a Ford with Sync or are considering one of the new '11 - '12 models with 'My Ford' Apple will be your only choice as Apple and Microsoft are both on board for the updated version of Ford's Sync program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flash has no business being on a phone, hell it shouldnt even be on your computer. It is buggy to say the least. Adobe cant even write a decent flash version for mac that works all the time, what makes them think they can do it for the iPhone?</div></div>
You are drinking too much of the Kool aid Steve Jobs has been selling. The real reason the Apple won't allow flash on the Iphone has to do with control over APPs. with flash based aplications you wouldn't need apples APP store. Its all about controling the revenue stream </div></div>
Apple has their own very personal/business reasons to puke on Flash, but they are right about one thing.
Flash is a Piece Of $hit.
It is the mother of all security holes, on top that on many platforms (like Linux and OSX, for example), behaves erratically at best (hogs CPU and RAM).
To get an idea of how bad is that code base (as if the crapload of security holes wouldn't be enough), think that after 5 years, they do not have a stable 64bit version.
Steve Jobs has his own reasons, but it is not difficult to share some of his points about Flash.
Plus, IMSHO it has generated the worst looking web sites out there.
Luckily enough, the FireFox Flash Blocker plugin helps in killing all this Flashy banner-lets, and disable Flash for web sites that are not trusted.