• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pacific Tool & Gauge SUCKS!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113831
  • Start date
In November I ordered a reamer and gauges for 505 Gibbs was told 3-4 weeks out. Later that same day I found a reamer to rent. Called PTG to cancel order they are like oh that will be a 15% restocking fee. Really? For a standard round that you haven’t even started yet because I called in order 6hours before?
Figuring I’d build another 505 or two I didn’t cancel order. As of a week ago nothing has arrived. Called capital one and got my money back. Scratch that company off the list.

They supposedly took over 4000 preorders for this , so when can customers expect to get their 400$ barreled actions(without bolts) o_O, still waiting for my November order to be processed 😭

189074650_1753086784863142_138083902492934252_n.jpg

Last edited:
I saw that "offering" from PTG... there's no way I'd put good money towards that. It will be a sh*tshow of historic proportions.

They supposedly took over 4000 preorders for this , so when can customers expect to get their 400$ barreled actions(without bolts) o_O, still waiting for my November order to be processed

Well damn, that's interesting. I thought these were a bulk purchase from Remington's inventory after bankruptcy?

And why do they show them as on sale for Memorial Day if they don't have them? I was almost ready yesterday to order one in .338 LM off the list and I thought "it's not live inventory, how would I know if this has already been sold?".

Well damn, that's interesting. I thought these were a bulk purchase from Remington's inventory after bankruptcy?

And why do they show them as on sale for Memorial Day if they don't have them? I was almost ready yesterday to order one in .338 LM off the list and I thought "it's not live inventory, how would I know if this has already been sold?".

I can tell you this:

The RCS was 200 yards down the street from me. It was run by a former employee of mine. We were a priority vendor for the facility as we did all of their blue print work on our 5 axis mill. I can say I WISH I'd of blueprinted 4,000 actions for Remington. It was more like 800 something... I know for an absolute fact that RCS didn't have anywhere near 4k actions on the shelf turn key.

More like 40-70 at any given moment.

Prior to that the stuff was done on PTG tooling. There are reasons why they moved away from that process and why they encouraged me to go the 5X route.

Based on the advertisement posted a few posts up from this, something isn't quite adding up. That said I do have it on good authority that PTG did in fact purchase ALL of Remington's M700 inventory. Guns, actions, receivers, barreled actions, ALL of it.

If I could trust them farther than I can throw an engine block I'd of already been on the phone to try and buy some.

Caveat Emptor...

Last edited:
I can tell you this:

The RCS was 200 yards down the street from me. It was run by a former employee of mine. We were a priority vendor for the facility as we did all of their blue print work on our 5 axis mill. I can say I WISH I'd of blueprinted 4,000 actions for Remington. It was more like 800 something...

Prior to that the stuff was done on PTG tooling. There are reasons why they moved away from that process and why they encouraged me to go the 5X route.

Based on the advertisement posted a few posts up from this, something isn't quite adding up. That said I do have it on good authority that PTG did in fact purchase ALL of Remington's M700 inventory. Guns, actions, receivers, barreled actions, ALL of it.

If I could trust them farther than I can throw an engine block I'd of already been on the phone to try and buy some.

Caveat Emptor...

With the way they operate, I wouldn't do any business at all with them. It's just too chaotic and I wouldn't want my good name to be mixed up with theirs either. It would be nice to score a bunch of those actions if you could true them up yourself though...

Reactions: GhostFace
i am done with their stupid asses. nearly as bad as that dude that made the AICS mags that never shipped.

Yet another sad story as a result of dealing PTG....

I've already got one story ITT, concerning ordering Go-No go gauges.... (Before I knew the issues with ptg. Lesson learned, check the hide before dealing with any vendor)

Now I am finally going to get my barrel back and action back, after my boy at BMP (Eric) took care of looking into everything for me, as well as the good people at Zermatt, who also took my issue seriously and personally checked my action and shipped it both ways for free. Blue Mountain Precision and Zermatt could teach PTG a lot!

PTG gauges are out by a good bit. Brand new directly from PTG (several months after ordering. "In stock item" mind you).

As everyone else ITT knows, if there's any PTG involved in what you are doing, get the PTG out!

Reactions: Constructor
Still waiting for a November order of supposedly all-in-stock stuff to be shipped. :poop:

Ordered a specific reamer three times and each time it was the wrong reamer. Not even close. Actually kept getting worse vs getting better and this was over the span of 2 years. Sent the same specs to JGS and got the correct reamer in 8 weeks.

Reactions: Constructor
Ordered a specific reamer three times and each time it was the wrong reamer. Not even close. Actually kept getting worse vs getting better and this was over the span of 2 years. Sent the same specs to JGS and got the correct reamer in 8 weeks.
I am positive the person that checks the calculations on the prints is dyslexic. They transposed a number on a SAAMI cartridge. I sent 6 emails trying to explain where they had made a mistake. They argued their math was correct and I gave up. 3 years later they finally changed it but for the whole 3 years they made all of their reamers for that cartridge with that mistake.

• Wow
Reactions: Mr.BR
For some stuff, ptg are ok. However you have to ring and get absolute hands on, and be VERY clear "I want tracking for this item within 3 days else I'm doing a draw back on my CC" and take names and state the time and date to them. I then email, echoing the facts. "John Doe said he had hands on, and will mail the part, with tracking by Wednesday the eleventeenth of datetober, which is 72hrs from the sending of this email, which has a delivery receipt and read receipt".

Should never have to do it, but I have. I DONT deal with them anymore. Manson all the way. Such a nice guy, met him multiple times, on 2 different continents, and he will forever have my business.

Dave Manson has accommodated my weird requests for reamers, tools and gauges. Worked with me, and my customers for custom throat spec'd reamers and also helped make a wildcat and get the relevant info to whidden and to get it all sorted to ensure it is what I need.

Manson reamers are not a one-man-show. He has surrounded himself with people who want to do the right thing and support the industry. I have met a few of the team, and emailed / talked to others.

There are other good reamer manufs, such as JGS and Clymer. I can only attest to my dealings with Manson, and for the forseeable future, won't be moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich4
For some stuff, ptg are ok. However you have to ring and get absolute hands on, and be VERY clear "I want tracking for this item within 3 days else I'm doing a draw back on my CC" and take names and state the time and date to them. I then email, echoing the facts. "John Doe said he had hands on, and will mail the part, with tracking by Wednesday the eleventeenth of datetober, which is 72hrs from the sending of this email, which has a delivery receipt and read receipt".

Should never have to do it, but I have. I DONT deal with them anymore. Manson all the way. Such a nice guy, met him multiple times, on 2 different continents, and he will forever have my business.

Dave Manson has accommodated my weird requests for reamers, tools and gauges. Worked with me, and my customers for custom throat spec'd reamers and also helped make a wildcat and get the relevant info to whidden and to get it all sorted to ensure it is what I need.

Manson reamers are not a one-man-show. He has surrounded himself with people who want to do the right thing and support the industry. I have met a few of the team, and emailed / talked to others.

There are other good reamer manufs, such as JGS and Clymer. I can only attest to my dealings with Manson, and for the forseeable future, won't be moving.

This isn't the first time I've heard such glowing review of Manson. I just emailed them about getting my PTG gauges fixed. It may not even be worth doing and if it isn't I will get a set of manson gauges.

Reactions: iceng
I’ll add my crappy experience. I ordered a set of go/no go gauges for a 6bra. Nobody had them in stock at the time and PTG had the best price with a 6-8 week lead time. 12 weeks later, still no gauges. I called to get an ETA. They couldn’t provide one and said we will open a status ticket and email you later today. The next day, I still hadn’t gotten an email. I called back and the lady said I will check now and call you back by noon. I didn’t hear back. I called after noon and the guy that was supposed to go check was on lunch, when he gets back he will check and I’ll call you back. Didn’t hear anything back, so the next day I called Manson and they had done a special run of them so I placed an order and canceled the PTG order. Manson was about double the price, but they had them in stock.

I will never order anything from PTG again after the runaround I got.

I’ll add my crappy experience. I ordered a set of go/no go gauges for a 6bra. Nobody had them in stock at the time and PTG had the best price with a 6-8 week lead time. 12 weeks later, still no gauges. I called to get an ETA. They couldn’t provide one and said we will open a status ticket and email you later today. The next day, I still hadn’t gotten an email. I called back and the lady said I will check now and call you back by noon. I didn’t hear back. I called after noon and the guy that was supposed to go check was on lunch, when he gets back he will check and I’ll call you back. Didn’t hear anything back, so the next day I called Manson and they had done a special run of them so I placed an order and canceled the PTG order. Manson was about double the price, but they had them in stock.

Monitor your credit card account to make sure you get credit. Also, there have been frequent reports of them charging a restock fee (25%) when customers cancelled under situations similar to yours.

Last edited:
Ok. New rant. 🤔

@Thud is a liberal. And a Karen.

Enters a thread only to tell people what they should or should not talk about.

Most likely a vegan, trans, Tesla driver, and a certified dog shooter for some alphabet boi club.

Kidding.
And cant you just ignore the thread???
Some horses dont remember they are dead and need flogged often

The reason I use Manson is cos he's a cool dude, and PTG may be cheaper, but don't have anything. PTG could be $2 for a reamer and gauges, and free delivery, I still wouldn't use them. You get what you pay for.

Ask Manson about how many PTG gauges he has reground to get into SAAMI spec.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
The reason I use Manson is cos he's a cool dude, and PTG may be cheaper, but don't have anything. PTG could be $2 for a reamer and gauges, and free delivery, I still wouldn't use them. You get what you pay for.

I know of at least 2 that he has right now that are ptg.....

Monitor your credit card account to make sure you get credit. Also, there have been frequent reports of them charging a restock fee (25%) when customers cancelled under situations similar to yours.
Good call. I probably wouldn’t have kept an eye out for this otherwise. I canceled my order on 7/6. I still haven’t received a refund as of 7/23, so I called my cc company today to have a charge back done.

Reactions: Threadcutter308

I've used Manson before and have been very happy. He doesn't bullshit you about leadtime. It is what it is. I talked to Dave about a 6x47L Reamer and gauges. He told me 12 weeks. I then talked to PTG and they told me 2 weeks. I believed them and made the mistake of ordering from PTG and they took 14 weeks. Never again.

Ok. New rant. 🤔

@Thud is a liberal. And a Karen.

Enters a thread only to tell people what they should or should not talk about.

Most likely a vegan, trans, Tesla driver, and a certified dog shooter for some alphabet boi club.

Kidding.
And cant you just ignore the thread???
Some horses dont remember they are dead and need flogged often
And some dead horses have a knack for getting back up and shitting in the potato salad at the picnic. Seems they have something in common with PTG.

I bought bottom metal from them AaaaaHaaaaa! MY story hahaha I am real excited OH a detachable magazine for my Ekl killer. OH BOY (modify the STOCK a bit ). I did that no Problem! I put it back together and WOW the bolt hits the top of the magazine. (The guy NEVER take a call or say anything)ever! After research I find a guy who did it, but he had a gunsmith mill off the bottom of the bolt. DAMM NOT doing that! I modified the magazine, file the catch latch so it locks in lower, and laminated stoppers on the magazine to keep it from going in to far.

Attachments

• DSC_7863.jpg
    DSC_7863.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: 3850remhep
I bought bottom metal from them AaaaaHaaaaa! MY story hahaha I am real excited OH a detachable magazine for my Ekl killer. OH BOY (modify the STOCK a bit ). I did that no Problem! I put it back together and WOW the bolt hits the top of the magazine. (The guy NEVER take a call or say anything)ever! After research I find a guy who did it, but he had a gunsmith mill off the bottom of the bolt. DAMM NOT doing that! I modified the magazine, file the catch latch so it locks in lower, and laminated stoppers on the magazine to keep it from going in to far.
FYI, the inlet has to be cut a specific depth to work correctly.
My gunsmith uses a CNC mill for the operation and never has an issue with their bottom metal.
I'm sure the quality of the stock plays a part as well.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
FYI, the inlet has to be cut a specific depth to work correctly.
My gunsmith uses a CNC mill for the operation and never has an issue with their bottom metal.
I'm sure the quality of the stock plays a part as well.
I am sure not all rifles are the same, maybe they need similar work to do a bottom metal. I did all my work myself so I am very familiar with what was done. I grew up in a machine shop, my father owned a steal factory. I am fully aware and qualified. You see the pi this I completed 4-5 years ago. Now you want to correct my work and do captain hindsight? Thank you for your help much appreciate, and I will take note next time to your advise! 4-5 years ago COMPLETED works great! YES all stock are different, and the quality of min had nothing to do with how it fit. It was a retrofit that had attached bottom metal without a detachable magazine. Jezus you guys that are so superior wow?

Attachments

• DSC_7863.jpg
    DSC_7863.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I’m playing with house money. Ordered a R700 action and bottom metal from them 2 years ago and received them within 2 weeks. Ordered some mags and some bolt ejectors in September and received them in about a week. So I’ll stop right there and walk away from the table.

P.S. - the previous advice to call them to verify what is in stock is probably the best answer.

I am sure not all rifles are the same, maybe they need similar work to do a bottom metal. I did all my work myself so I am very familiar with what was done. I grew up in a machine shop, my father owned a steal factory. I am fully aware and qualified. You see the pi this I completed 4-5 years ago. Now you want to correct my work and do captain hindsight? Thank you for your help much appreciate, and I will take note next time to your advise! 4-5 years ago COMPLETED works great! YES all stock are different, and the quality of min had nothing to do with how it fit. It was a retrofit that had attached bottom metal without a detachable magazine. Jezus you guys that are so superior wow?
Please, address me as Commodore Hindsight. I'm a Navy man through and through.
I wouldn't have wasted my time putting a dbm on one of those rugers, especially since a quick internet search reveals that it is difficult and requires much tweaking.
But you blame the bottom metal, when the real culprit is the design of the action and the angled screw, plus Rugers notoriously liberal tolerances on their cast actions.

Please, address me as Commodore Hindsight. I'm a Navy man through and through.
I wouldn't have wasted my time putting a dbm on one of those rugers, especially since a quick internet search reveals that it is difficult and requires much tweaking.
But you blame the bottom metal, when the real culprit is the design of the action and the angled screw, plus Rugers notoriously liberal tolerances on their cast actions.
1671672026032.png

Reactions: fdkay
I’m playing with house money. Ordered a R700 action and bottom metal from them 2 years ago and received them within 2 weeks. Ordered some mags and some bolt ejectors in September and received them in about a week. So I’ll stop right there and walk away from the table.

P.S. - the previous advice to call them to verify what is in stock is probably the best answer.
I did call and verify that the items were in stock, and was told yes. Placed my order, got one, but not he other, and never got a answer on why the other didn't ship, nor when it would be available. Long story short, they said they are issuing a refund today for the part I didn't get that apparently won't be available until April now.

Branden

Reactions: Baron23
At least they didn't charge your card when you ordered and then again 4 months later when it shipped.

It has been my previous experience that companies put items on sale, because they have inventory to liquidate...

Apparently, PT&G likes to put items "on sale" that they haven't made yet.

2 months and counting waiting for Howa bottom metal...

PT&G can choke on a bag of dicks...that is all.
Could not agree more. Listed headspace gauges as available, ordered a couple and then got an "out of stock" response after my card was already charged. Ok, no big deal, didn't need them right away. Forgot about them for like 4 months and then emailed. Got an answer of "if you haven't seen them by 2 weeks after X (a couple weeks later), let us know". Ok, fine. Forgot about them for another couple months and emailed again about 3 weeks after the "2 weeks after X" and got the exact same "if you haven't seen them by 2 weeks after X (a couple weeks later), let us know". I emailed back saying what the heck, and to please cancel my order. Took over a week to get my card refunded. Found some Forster gauges and will never order another thing from PTG if it can be found anywhere else. They're obviously not interested in my business.

Last edited:
My mileage was different, I posted earlier in this thread. After looking at the Atlasworxs, which was considerably more, even more so, with shipping from Australia. I excitedly ordered a Howa bottom metal that was "on sale"! Then found this thread, I emailed them to check if it was in stock, no, was the prompt reply. I just figured I'd have to just sit back and wait at that point. About 2 weeks later it shows up!? I can certainly empathize with others who've had lessor experiences. Would I order from them again? Only if I couldn't find it elsewhere, and was in no hurry, why tempt fate? I did find a 2nd Atlasworxs BM on ebay, and snatched it up!

My mileage was different, I posted earlier in this thread. After looking at the Atlasworxs, which was considerably more, even more so, with shipping from Australia. I excitedly ordered a Howa bottom metal that was "on sale"! Then found this thread, I emailed them to check if it was in stock, no, was the prompt reply. I just figured I'd have to just sit back and wait at that point. About 2 weeks later it shows up!? I can certainly empathize with others who've had lessor experiences. Would I order from them again? Only if I couldn't find it elsewhere, and was in no hurry, why tempt fate? I did find a 2nd Atlasworxs BM on ebay, and snatched it up!
The PTG bottom metal is 'ok'. How's the Atlasworx? I just ordered one the other day to replace the PTG.

The PTG bottom metal is 'ok'. How's the Atlasworx? I just ordered one the other day to replace the PTG.
Actually pretty similar overall, however with the Atlasworxs I didn't have to mill the "Howa" tab like I did with the PT&G (not sure if other actions require such?)

Ah, maybe I missed it but how was anyone to know your tale was from 4-5 years ago???

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Actually pretty similar overall, however with the Atlasworxs I didn't have to mill the "Howa" tab like I did with the PT&G (not sure if other actions require such?)
If you're talking by the trigger, yeah had to clearance mine as well. I'm moving to the Atlasworx for the lower profile mag release and remove the external magwell.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Atlasworkx are good gear. I use them and recommend them. Full disclosure, im Aussie, so its way easy for me to get them.

They are solid bits of gear, and they make some other nice upgrade bits, like titanium tikka bolt handles.

To add to and resurect this thread, I just returned a .795-44 TPI True choke tap. Instead of .795-44, it was .795 - 22 TPI. Wish I'd caught that before threading the barrel. Customer service was horrible too

Yeah, despite my positive experience buying a DBM, I was recently shopping for a set of headspace gauges and was reading, again folks diss'n on theirs, so I bought a set of Clymer...

Surprisingly I had to buy a rem 700 bolt body from them. Was quoted 8-11 weeks but it showed up in 2 as I ordered it. One good experience but the track record I've had overall I'm still going elsewhere unless I have to use them.

I ordered an aluminum loading sled for my 700 and it came within a week. No issues. Surprised by this thread but my one-time experience was good.

To add to and resurect this thread, I just returned a .795-44 TPI True choke tap. Instead of .795-44, it was .795 - 22 TPI. Wish I'd caught that before threading the barrel. Customer service was horrible too
That’s a pretty big fuck up by them. You would think a go/no go thread gage would have caught that, which is basic QC in a shop.

What are you going to do with that barrel now?

That’s a pretty big fuck up by them. You would think a go/no go thread gage would have caught that, which is basic QC in a shop.

What are you going to do with that barrel now?
I read that too, and was thinking 44 TPI vs 22 TPI is a pretty significant / visible difference.
Use a thread pitch gauge for final verification as to what is actually what before making chips.