• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pack for Mammoth 2020

Finding the pack and loadout for this event is part of the fun because it's the same old balancing act of durability vs weight for what we're looking at doing. I've got some lightweight packs, and I've done some backpacking with some nasty and heavy loads. Last night I started laying stuff out and took some pictures. Once I had it all loaded up I was at 40# with the gunrunner and I still have a lot of tweaking to do. My goal is at least to get to 35# as a max weight with food & water and everything. That's 40# full kit, and if the event allows that they'll carry some of it like in years past with either shelter or food then all the better for me. I have my first custom rifle being built as we speak, but I used a similar rifle last night and I was at 15# for the rifle and scope. Really made me think about getting an ultralight rifle and just seeing what it could do.

Pictures of last nights first draft just for giggles:

All packaged up and laid out.
uudglct.jpg

IZHMx2U.jpg

Most everything dumped out and spread out.
sfRlDRi.jpg

R1Pc7Cf.jpg

It may seem like a silly exercise in being a gear nutt, but doing this last night really hammered the point home to me. Individual shelters are bulky and weigh more than needed. My tent with poles weighs just over 3#. I love it even though I'm a hammock guy, if I have to go to ground this is the tent for me, but I my hammock tarp with doors using trekking poles will make a tent wide enough for two grown men to have room and not be snuggled up. My 2go trifecta can be the ground cloth underneath with room for two. Best part is those are about 1# each and can be divided into packs. Saves space and weight.

Tent (1 person):
ndbtSfZ.jpg

Tarp & trifecta (2 people):
jwgSqGh.jpg

Here's the 12' hammock gear journey tarp on a ridgeline. I think I can get two people under this with gear pretty easily.
MnTMLNS.jpg

This is still very much a work in progress, but there's a decent chance that one of us will be able to get the job done with the gunrunner. I found a great deal on a full size gunslinger, so when that arrives I'll do the same/similar test with it.

Last edited:
@teddy12b Photos aren't loading for me above ^

I think for Mammoth you don't want to go *too* light on the rifle. Mammoth has some fairly sustained strings of fire. It would be easy to launch 30+ rounds in an 8 minute stage, even more if you are shooting a semi-auto. A pencil barrel will get HOT.

Other matches like the Sniper Adventure Challenge benefit from as light a rifle as possible (within reason). I've never done SAC myself (looking for a partner for this year, hint hint!) but based on speaking to friends who've competed in the past, typical CoF at SAC are around 5 shots and a lightweight 9-10 lbs mountain rifle would be perfect. Also, since SAC is an actual race, every ounce truly counts, as opposed to Mammoth where everyone rucks together. There's no intrinsic value to being faster than the other teams.

Regarding shelters, hammocks are a big gamble - there may not be any trees where you camp. There weren't any trees at the camp site at Arena in 2018 and the hammock guys had a pretty crappy night.

Reactions: OzzyO20
When I did mammoth there was a minimum pack weight that you couldn’t go below, which was dumb and never checked, so we had to pack accordingly. I’m glad they got away from that and caliber restrictions for primary shooter.

I still don’t think you want to take ultralight hiking packs to mammoth. One guy in our squad tried and it looked like dental floss cutting into his shoulders and hips. I’m not sure about the current owners mindset and stage design, but we were dragging our gear through barbed wire, throwing it on platforms, etc. Ultralight almost always means expensive, and you don’t want to thrash a pack (I don’t anwyay).

I went with a MR pack that’s a little heavier than what I’d take backpacking, but so much more stable and sturdy. Packs rated to 50 lbs carry awful with 50 lbs. Packs rated for 80+ carry much better with 50 lbs.

On, and ultralight rifle FTW:

Attachments

• A0784FD7-A695-434A-8E4F-8BFBECC3B945.jpeg
    A0784FD7-A695-434A-8E4F-8BFBECC3B945.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 26F8B513-54BF-4E43-91B1-D2D8DC84FB9E.jpeg
    26F8B513-54BF-4E43-91B1-D2D8DC84FB9E.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 233
Teddy12b, I am thinking along you lines. My tarp is from Warbonnet, and with an ultra light sil nylon ground cloth, would be a decent shelter for two. Would much rather be hanging in my BB xlc, but again, there is more weight, and with it being winter, the underquilt would be mandatory, again meaning more weight. And for Ozzy, that rifle is bad ass! Bet it kicks like a beast, but it looks like it shoots great.

The pictures were posted yesterday and worked, for some reason today they went down. I edited and added the links again.

If given a choice I'll take a hammock any day of the week. With not knowing the terrain of where we'll be having a designated sleeping area, I wouldn't risk taking my hammock. I'm going to shave every once I can, and when I have trekking poles in my hands and see tent poles in my pack it just confuses me. My trekking poles will support a ridge line holding up the tarp, and that thing covers a big enough space for the two of use, all our gear and probably plenty of room to spare. That tarp packs small and doesn't weigh much. I'm actually getting out tonight with a some buddies and one of them is the guy who's going to mammoth with me in 2020, so it'll be a good chance to lay some of this out in the field and see how it all goes. I like the idea of two warm bodies under the tarp with gear because I think it'll help everyone stay warm, but I've never used a tarp setup like this before either so I have zero experience to base that on, it's all theory right now.

As many have said before, stay away from Eberlestock. Super heavy and uncomfortable. I got rid of mine and went to an Osprey Xenith 88 pack. Super light and extremely comfortable. It’s geared towards multi-day backpacking trips, but it’ll handle plenty of weight, has a more than enough capacity (5600cc or so) , weighs in at 5lbs, and feels great on the back. I got mine from REI. About $380 or so.

https://www.rei.com/product/126713

How did you secure your rifle to that Osprey Xenith? I thought about a Kifaru Gun holder mounted to webbing or trekking pole loops on a smaller pack.

How did you secure your rifle to that Osprey Xenith? I thought about a Kifaru Gun holder mounted to webbing or trekking pole loops on a smaller pack.

With a lightweight hunting rifle, going off the side of the pack with your rifle is not a big deal, but with the weight rifle we’re shooting 15+ lbs, going off the side is gonna mess you up. Makes the pack heavy on one side and after some miles that’s gonna wear you down. Thats one thing Eberlestock got right was having the rifle centered and close to your body. I would recommend getting a scabbard and some webbing and strapping it to the back of the pack. Get creative with it. The Xenith has the most comfortable waist and shoulder straps I’ve ever used. Easy to get the waist tight, thick / wide memory foam straps. The pack definitely makes a lot of weight feel light and comfortable. I had a Eberlestock G4 Operator and the same load in my Xenith feels like half the weight. The Operator was miserable. Not to mention, the Osprey Xenith 88 has WAY more capacity than my G4 Operator did, and if you feel that you need even more, Osprey also has a Xenith 105. These packs are meant for Multiday Through Hikes. They can handle some weight and your comfort level.

Keep this in mind though, this isn’t the military where your carrying radios, 20lbs in battery’s, 16 gts of water, a full combat load of shit, etc etc etc. if your pack is waeighing in at 70 + lbs for 3 days you’re doing something wrong. You need to put ALOT of though into what you NEED to have and what you’d LIKE to have. In today’s day in age, there is a plethora of light weight gear available to help keep the weight down. Obviously you’re physical fitness is gonna play a HUGE role in all of this but these types of operations are designed to make you suffer. Whether you suffer during the day with all the weight or suffer at night cuz you’re hungry and cold. Lol

It’s a balance and the severity of the suck can be mitigated by physical fitness, mental toughness, and proper gear management.

Last edited:
I know this is at least one area that I'm going to train on, but the easiest 20 pounds to shed is going to be excess bodyweight between now and then.

Hell, I'll be able to knock at least a few Razor gen 2's off the waistline.

Hahaha you and me both. My mind still thinks my bodies 19....

I have similar plans with regards to dropping the pack weight on my body. Ideally I'd like to get down another 25# to a really good weight for me.

Part of the appeal of this match is the suck factor and testing myself. Our teams goals are simple. 1.) Finish in the tough man division with our heads held high, 2.) Not be in last place on the marksmanship/points.

The last two years I've had some really amazing trips that have tested me in very different ways. It has sharpened my abilities and hones my loadout. I really don't plan to have much with me on this. The biggest unknown to me is how much time there will be between rucks with shooting stages. It's one thing if its a half hour between 3.5 mile rucks. It's quite another if there's 1 hour between 1 mile rucks. Having never been to one of these I really don't know what to expect.

A big thing driving me to get the loadout figured out is so I can start hitting the road with it and getting it and myself
f all broken in.

Anyone interested in forming up a team for 2020? That's about 10 months to loose the beer gut (I'll need it). It would be great to find someone local to NC\SC, but not a necessity. Shoot me a PM if interested and let's talk.

Saturday I just did a 12 mile day hike with the guy I'm going to Mammoth with. Very minimal loadout for this day hike and just wanted to get my body used to the miles more than anything else. I was feeling a little bit like an old guy when I was done with lots of soreness.

I can tell already, getting my pack light for this will be my mental play thing for all of 2019. I'm going to be doing a lot of my training at night once the kids are in bed. That's the easiest time I'll have to get out and hit the road and ruck. I'm going to get something setup with the size, weight, and bulk of a rifle to put in my pack. If anyone has any great suggestions on that I'm all ears.

Saturday I just did a 12 mile day hike with the guy I'm going to Mammoth with. Very minimal loadout for this day hike and just wanted to get my body used to the miles more than anything else. I was feeling a little bit like an old guy when I was done with lots of soreness.

I can tell already, getting my pack light for this will be my mental play thing for all of 2019. I'm going to be doing a lot of my training at night once the kids are in bed. That's the easiest time I'll have to get out and hit the road and ruck. I'm going to get something setup with the size, weight, and bulk of a rifle to put in my pack. If anyone has any great suggestions on that I'm all ears.

I know the feeling bro. I’ll be 40 this year as well and have decided to start training for a marathon, but in adddition to that, I’m trying to get back into backpacking / hunting shape which as you know requires carrying weight. I’ve been going up into the hills behind Ventura and doing hikes to get my back and legs back in mountain shape. Started small with a day pack, but going to start upping the weight. 25lb sand bag, then 50lbs then eventually a 70lb sandbag.

Make sure to work your way up slowly to prevent soreness and injuries (ie shin splints etc) don’t over do it. To start I wouldn’t go heavy on the pack move than 1-2 x a week. Get yourself some trekking poles. These are especially helpful in taking some of the weight off the joints going down hill.

Last edited:
Trekking poles have absolutely proven their worth to me. My first outting this year was a solo overnight. I got to the place at 9:30pm ish and started down the trail by 10pm ish. Trail was mostly covered in snow with ice under some of those spots. During the 5 mile hike I would have been on my rear end at least 3 or 4 times for sure but caught myself with a trekking pole.

The hike this last weekend they almost got in the way because it was 99% perfectly flat land, but on anything hilly, trekking poles are like adding a handrail.

For Mammoth, my trekking poles will also become tent poles and save one less thing to pack & carry.

I think the best thing I can do, is start out with more of a focus on pounding more miles with a very light load, rather than fewer miles with a heavier load. I work behind a desk, so my body doesn't move much during the day. I already know from experience, I'll hate every ounce I carry with a passion by the end of this thing.

I'm still having a hard time believing there isn't a 3# pack that can have a rifle mounted to it and secured well. The Gunrunner, is going to be close, but I don't think it'll make it. The Gunslinger would eat it up, but it's over 5 pounds. Ideally, I want my total weight full of food, water, ammo & everything at 35# or better yet under 30#.

Reactions: HogsLife
I found the gunslinger to carry the weight well. Just did a ruck match last weekend and my pack with rifle and ammo was about 52 lbs. There are lighter packs, but this one was versatile.

Honestly I have no desire to hump 52#'s anymore unless I absolutely have to. I have no problem forfeiting my man card to those that do. Last night I got out the scale and weighed about every pack I would even remotely consider using for this and I was looking for pack weights in the 3# range.

My new gunslinger came in the mail last night and the first thing I did was weight it on the scale. Honestly I was a little ticked since it shows on the website 5.6 pounds. When I put mine on the scale it was 6.9# with the rifle cover on. When I unhooked that I was down to 6# even.

My large alice with tactical taylor shoulder straps and hip belt was at 6.8#

My old style camelbak BFM was at 5.5#

My old style camelbak Hawg was at 2.83#

Stretching the imagination a bit a kelty redwing 50L was at 3.25#

My Mystery Ranch Scree 32L was at 3.35#

Keep in mind these weights are using a cheapo fishing scale in one hand while trying to get a picture of it in the other hand.

Realistically, I'm going to try loading out and fastening a rifle to all these packs and then start pounding miles with them to see what I can get away with. I have the luxury of being able to set something up that's good enough for a 3 day event and doesn't have to be durable enough to last a deployment and then be reissued a few more times.

I agree. And I’m not totally satisfied with my pack arrangement at this point either. The GS carries the weight well for me, but I’m not sure it is the best available. Right now, I’m going to try to keep in shape so I can do this match again next year and hopefully perform better. Interested in your pix if you want to post them.

Having done Mammoth for the past 3 years, I have found that you will probably love the Kifaru. That said, sticker shock is huge. For the past two years I have used an Osprey Atmos AG 65. It weighs about 4 pounds or so, but is the most comfortable pack I have ever used. There is a mesh that wraps the frame and cradles you- it is really hard to explain. If you google the pack youll see what I mean. This design spreads the load over your entire body and does a great job at eliminating pressure points. Many people doubt the load bearing capability of the pack, but for the past two years I have carried upwards of 75 pounds for the weekend and it has held up fine. The only major wear spot is where the bipod rubs on the body of the pack when I strap the rifle in. Besides that, it has held up fantastically. I 100 percent recommend the pack for anyone looking for a good pack for mammoth.

Reactions: kdmcd
I have a lot of gear and the one brand I will absolutely say I’m a fanboy of is Kifaru. Have used many of their packs for 11 years. Save yourself the time, pain, and headaches and get the best.

I enjoy backpack hunting. Save weight on other gear and embrace the comfort,durability, and load hauling ability of Kifaru.

I just picked up the Nomad 2 with dry bag. It is a very cool layout but you need to play with your layout of gear more to see what works best for you. In day mode a rifle works really well behind the wings and you can quickly access gear in the wings. However if it sounds like you need to carry your whole kit all day and if you want quick(er) access to your rifle then you want it on the outside. If you’re running a Grab it then a folding stock rifle will fit real nice on the back also. If not (folding) and you want to be able to potentially throw and go a little better then I’d be looking at the Reckoning, Cavern, or Hoodlum with their rifle system or Sherman pocket to hold rifle on back of pack.

Trekking poles are helpful and a shelter that utilizes them for set up would save a lot of weight.

Heavier rifles need to go on back/center of pack. Light rifles are ok on the side if you can maintain balance of pack. If not you will feel it over time.

I know there are some other well respected brands out there so I’m not knocking them. Kifaru has just been doing this longer than them and when I’ve gotten curious and strayed it resulted in me sending the gear back and buying another kifaru.

Reactions: HogsLife
Having done Mammoth for the past 3 years, I have found that you will probably love the Kifaru. That said, sticker shock is huge. For the past two years I have used an Osprey Atmos AG 65. It weighs about 4 pounds or so, but is the most comfortable pack I have ever used. There is a mesh that wraps the frame and cradles you- it is really hard to explain. If you google the pack youll see what I mean. This design spreads the load over your entire body and does a great job at eliminating pressure points. Many people doubt the load bearing capability of the pack, but for the past two years I have carried upwards of 75 pounds for the weekend and it has held up fine. The only major wear spot is where the bipod rubs on the body of the pack when I strap the rifle in. Besides that, it has held up fantastically. I 100 percent recommend the pack for anyone looking for a good pack for mammoth.

+1 on the Osprey packs. I have an Osprey Xenith 88 and the wife has the Xens 75 and absolutely love it. Most comfortable pack I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:
Also, that 65-75 pounds includes rifle, ammo, water, tent, clothes, cold weather gear, food, stove, fuel, tripod, sleeping bag, pad, etc, etc. That said, Rifle and Ammo alone weight almost 22 pounds (12 pound rifle, 10 pounds of ammo). Then the tripod weighs about 5 of 6 pounds, so I'm already at almost 30 not including anything I need to actually survive the weekend.

Even with this load, Ive never had an issue carrying that weight. I'm usually one of the first done in my squad, and this past year was first in my squad every ruck. Two years ago it was usually me, with only one or to exceptions. Three years ago I had a squad full of SF, Rangers, and USMC Scout Snipers who did not like being beat by some College ROTC f*ck, so we didn't do as good on those rucks. If anyone has any questions about how mammoth is being run with Grunt Style at Ft. Gordon, shoot me a DM and I'll answer any questions you have.

If you’re willing to pay $500-$600+ on a pack like the Kifaru, then another option are the Stone Glacier Packs.

The pictures were posted yesterday and worked, for some reason today they went down. I edited and added the links again.

If given a choice I'll take a hammock any day of the week. With not knowing the terrain of where we'll be having a designated sleeping area, I wouldn't risk taking my hammock. I'm going to shave every once I can, and when I have trekking poles in my hands and see tent poles in my pack it just confuses me. My trekking poles will support a ridge line holding up the tarp, and that thing covers a big enough space for the two of use, all our gear and probably plenty of room to spare. That tarp packs small and doesn't weigh much. I'm actually getting out tonight with a some buddies and one of them is the guy who's going to mammoth with me in 2020, so it'll be a good chance to lay some of this out in the field and see how it all goes. I like the idea of two warm bodies under the tarp with gear because I think it'll help everyone stay warm, but I've never used a tarp setup like this before either so I have zero experience to base that on, it's all theory right now.

teddy12b, are the pics and links still showing up for you? I can’t see anything in your post above.

So this year I turn 40. Call it a planned midlife crisis but I have set a goal to compete in mammoth next year.

I started with a personal trainer last month and have given myself a year to hit a target fitness goal.

Obviously the fitness piece is what clears the field at mammoth and pack weight is huge.

I need help with selecting a pack and hope to draw on the fields experience. Packs considered at this point.

Eberlestock Gunslinger II gen2
Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

Obviously weight of pack, stability, ease of use and cost are all factors.

I love the versitilty and build of the Kifaru. But big money.

The new gen 2 gunslinger II shaves some weight vs the earlier versions. It’s the least expensive which frees up money to upgrade to some other lighter weight gear specificly a lighter weight quilt/sleeping bag

The exo mountain k3500 seems like the perfect middle ground between the two. I love the weight of the exo and the clean simple layout and design, but it is significantly more cost than the eberlestock and I feel it has the worst rifle attachment of the bunch.

Thoughts ?
I’m a big fan of EXO now
So this year I turn 40. Call it a planned midlife crisis but I have set a goal to compete in mammoth next year.

I started with a personal trainer last month and have given myself a year to hit a target fitness goal.

Obviously the fitness piece is what clears the field at mammoth and pack weight is huge.

I need help with selecting a pack and hope to draw on the fields experience. Packs considered at this point.

Eberlestock Gunslinger II gen2
Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

Obviously weight of pack, stability, ease of use and cost are all factors.

I love the versitilty and build of the Kifaru. But big money.

The new gen 2 gunslinger II shaves some weight vs the earlier versions. It’s the least expensive which frees up money to upgrade to some other lighter weight gear specificly a lighter weight quilt/sleeping bag

The exo mountain k3500 seems like the perfect middle ground between the two. I love the weight of the exo and the clean simple layout and design, but it is significantly more cost than the eberlestock and I feel it has the worst rifle attachment of the bunch.

Thoughts ?
I would go with EXO. I have been using the K2000 in prep for an elk hunt in Colorado this fall and have been nothing but impressed with the quality and design of the pack. I also have two eberlestock packs including a gunslinger. I think the gunslinger is fine, for for a match like mammoth I’d go with the EXO. I was the asst MD for mammoth 2019, and was able to see what all the competitors were carrying. There were a lot of shooters using the 3500, and they all raved about them.

@SuperChop Yeah this pictures are still showing on my screen.

For what it's worth, I've got a kifaru nomad 2 gun cradle that's coming in the mail tomorrow. That's going to be a big part of any attempt I make to jerry rig a rifle onto a pack to try and save weight. I was just excited enough to see I could finally afford something on Kifaru's website at a whopping $35.

@502Chevelle I think the normal rifle loadout is 100rds and pistol is around 50rds. I'm not sure what to do for the number of magazines though. My pistol will be a G17 so I'm figuring on 3 loaded 17rd mags and I'd be done. Could probably get away with just two. For rifle mags, I plan on 3 10rd rifle mags. I don't know if I'm taking too many or not enough mags.

I shot 77rds of rifle and 40 rounds of pistol at Mammoth this year.

I'd recommend 100-150 rifle with 2 rifle mags and 3x filled 21rd Magpul PMAGs for a Glock.

So just what is the ammo load out for Mammoth. Approximate round count for rifle and pistol.
I agree with what NGCSUGrad09 said.

For the past three years I've brought around 220 rounds of rifle, which at the end of the match swore I wouldn't do again. the seconfd year I did since we decided that we lacked experience our first year things may be different. This past year we brought the same since it was no longer run by Joe Harris and we didn't know what to expect. But this year we did very well, and only shot about 100 rounds per man of rifle and maybe 30 rounds per man of pistol. So our load next year will likely be around 150 rifle and 100 pistol.

I agree with what NGCSUGrad09 said.

For the past three years I've brought around 220 rounds of rifle, which at the end of the match swore I wouldn't do again. the seconfd year I did since we decided that we lacked experience our first year things may be different. This past year we brought the same since it was no longer run by Joe Harris and we didn't know what to expect. But this year we did very well, and only shot about 100 rounds per man of rifle and maybe 30 rounds per man of pistol. So our load next year will likely be around 150 rifle and 100 pistol.
i would add though, that it would be a crying shame if you did mammoth, made every ruck, but did not bring enough ammo to finish the match.

I did a little more fooling around trying to figure out as little as I could carry and get away with on this and here's a couple pictures. The kifaru gunstock holder came in yesterday, and I just used some paracord for a quick & dirty way to attach it to the mystery ranch scree. Then I stuffed the main compartment full with a military sleep system and then stuffed the top lids as full of ammo as I possibly could. I did some walking around in the house, and honestly I'm pretty impressed with how the rifle holder attached to the outside of the pack held up. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, but I also don't consider that to be a fair test either. Comfort levels vary greatly every 5 miles or so. Anyway, here's a couple of pictures that may or may not help anyone else.

62pXbq6.jpg

a7laRqO.jpg

Sb8Pc0I.jpg

smRSwpO.jpg

bKnxnXp.jpg

UCwQcsW.jpg

F7azm47.jpg

As others have said do yourself a favor and stay away from Eberlestock. That bag was atrocious while rucking in the mountains of eastern Afghanistan. Extremely uncomfortable very heavy. The absolute the gear investment I have ever made. I paid a shitload of money for it and like Frank said I gave it away.

I am looking into doing Mammoth in 2020 as well, but I’ve never done anything like this before. For packs I’m looking at exo 3500 or 5500 with the scabbard. What would you recommend between those 2?

Also, as far as my training, I’m just starting out with weights. I weigh 165 and I figured I would start out with 25 lbs and start rucking at pace until I could hit 5 miles at the pace I need. Then I would add 10 lbs and do it again. Once I’m at 50 lbs then start trying to train for longer distances. Does this sound feasible to you? Thanks for any input you might have!

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Up above someone asked for suggestions on something to simulate the rifle weight.

When I was doing training rucks I took an old weight lifting bar and cut it in half. The weighted parts on the end (where the weights go) come off. So I took one off and that half was about 10 pounds. The other with the piece remaining was about 20 pounds. It worked well because it was similar in length to a rifle. I carried an Eberlestock and was able to put it in the scabbard. But any other pack I could’ve put it in a side pocket and strapped it in or put it across the top and under the lid.

You can get them fairly cheap at second-hand sports places or garage sales. Cut it too long to begin with then take it off until you get the length/weight you want.

I did wrap it in pipe insulation and some tape just to give it a bit more girth and to keep it from gouging up the pack unnecessarily.

I did try hand carrying on some of the rucks. I was in a neighborhood and a sheriff’s deputy stopped me. Nosy neighbors at 0515.

Reactions: FishDr
I did some of the similar to what Eustice described. Living in a little "less urban" area, I managed a few rucks with the actual rifle in the pack. But only after dark, with a headlamp. Didn't have any problem, but almost got hit by one guy in a huge truck … he wasn't watching while driving his testosterone buggy! I had no problems only 'cause some of the kids around here strap a rifle over their back and ride an ATV down the road to get to the uncle or grandpa's hunting property. Most of the time a weighted bar would work very well.

So this year I turn 40. Call it a planned midlife crisis but I have set a goal to compete in mammoth next year....

I think good for you! A friend and I are going to do Mammoth 2020 as well. I'd love to keep in touch with regard to your training progress.

The gear will sort itself out as you practice and train. Here is our ruck training plan.
51749389_136894994022494_5592716831501856168_n.jpg

Reactions: TheWildcat
Does anyone have a picture of their ruck & loadout? I'm going to work on getting a round 1 rough draft laid out this weekend with mine.

I’m kidding. It only felt that way.

I haven’t done Mammoth but I’ve done Bushnell the last two years. The first year I borrowed a 4700 cubic inch pack from a friend and the guy above is pretty close to what I looked like. If you have space available there is an almost unstoppable urge to fill it. I had so much crap I did t need. I think I stepped off with over 80 pounds.

The second year I used my Gunslinger 2 (2100 cu.in.) and it made me really look hard at what i took. Stepped off with under 60. Both those weights included the rifle.

Being real with yourself about what you need and what you don’t is the key.

Reactions: D_TROS and FishDr
840+ miles for the remainder of the year is about 240 hours.... 6 full work weeks. That is a very ambitious training schedule. If you can do all of that, you will crush the rucks. I would encourage some "shorter, speed" miles (maybe run/jog) to build cardio capacity. Definitely do the high weight and long miles to build endurance, but not sure the value of doing those every time. Take some walks to keep the legs moving, stretch, and keep in motion while you recover from the strain of the long/heavy training sessions.

You are pretty far out from the event, but 1 a week is pretty good. I went heavier than race weight and did 2 4 mile/ 15 min pace rucks a week for the SAC, plus incrementally longer weekend hikes to 32 miles total. For Mammoth, where hikes are never that long, i would go 8 max, but at higher speed and higher weight.

Reactions: regnar375
I'm at a place where I'm comfortable with what's going in the pack. Last night I tried a couple more options and just got frustrated with the packs I have on hand. The newly purchased eberlestock gunslinger is going back. For the weight, I'm just not that impressed and it sounds like there's much better options there anyway.

Really, all I'm looking for is an approximately 50 ish liter pack in the 3 pound ish range, but really not looking for anything more than 4 pounds. I'm a 2XL sized guy, so unisex or one size fits all type of pack typically isn't getting it done for me. Last night I was darn near ready to just strap the rifle onto my large alice pack. If I'm paying a 7# weight penalty I may as well take my old ugly and trusty large alice that's already paid off out there and make do.

Reactions: regnar375
840+ miles for the remainder of the year is about 240 hours.... 6 full work weeks. That is a very ambitious training schedule.....I would encourage some "shorter, speed" miles (maybe run/jog) to build cardio capacity. Definitely do the high weight and long miles to build endurance, but not sure the value of doing those every time. Take some walks to keep the legs moving, stretch, and keep in motion while you recover from the strain of the long/heavy training sessions.

So far so good. I'm definitely looking for ways to cut down on the total time required, especially in the later months. I've started carrying 25# in my pack for work. That's an extra 2 miles of rucking every day.
training.png

As many have said before, stay away from Eberlestock. Super heavy and uncomfortable. I got rid of mine and went to an Osprey Xenith 88 pack. Super light and extremely comfortable. It’s geared towards multi-day backpacking trips, but it’ll handle plenty of weight, has a more than enough capacity (5600cc or so) , weighs in at 5lbs, and feels great on the back. I got mine from REI. About $380 or so.

https://www.rei.com/product/126713
Please god don’t get an Eberlestock you’ll come close to death like I almost did in Afghanistan.