• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pack for Mammoth 2020

Don't use any tactical bags. Way to heavy.

Ask to the guys that runned mammoth 2-3 times. Find them on FB and ask them.

Osprey Atmos latest gen and gregory baltoro are the way to go. Alot of place (85 liter), alot lighter and offer strong structure and support.

Also think about how you'll transport the rifle.

I am training too for 2020 and for now because of the snow here I walk run on the treadmill with my 75 lbs pack. I don't plan hauling 75 lbs at mammoth but figured I'd train with heavier.

I'm a big fan of the dead bird stuff and have the 30, 45 and 60 versions of the Khard/Assault.. I wouldn't recommend them for heavy loads. They shine for light and medium loads, but for heavy and long distance the frame isn't enough support.
Thanks.

I'm really considering trying to work out a trade for a Khard/Assault 45 with my MR 3DAP Classic.

Reactions: PrepareSmarter
Osprey Atmos latest gen and gregory baltoro are the way to go. Alot of place (85 liter), alot lighter and offer strong structure and support.

Also think about how you'll transport the rifle.
Would love to have one of these packs myself. How do you attach a rifle for long distance and balanced transport? A pic would be most useful. Any help is appreciated.

Last weekend I went to an REI to check out a variety of packs. I was hoping to get my hands on an Granite Gear 60L so look at what I could strap to the outside of it. They didn't have any in stock, but the sales guy actually recommended a Gregory Baltoro after I hesitantly told him what it was going to be used for. Despite REI's corporate stance on guns, this individual sales guy was awesome on the topic. The Baltoro had a really stiff frame inside it but I couldn't stand straight up without the frame hitting me in the back of the neck/head. I didn't buy a pack that day, but I'm going to stop by a local mom and pops place in town and look at the Ospreys there. Up to this point, I've been instantly dismissing every pack that starts with 5 or 6 pound empty weight. I'm seeing now that a 5# pack is going to be the minimum if I hope to find something that'll have enough space for winter gear, and the durability to carry a rifle & ammo.

At this point, I just have to sit down and really think if I want to drop the money for a "good" pack or just suck it up and take old Alice out for another trip.

On the topic of the Alice pack, does anyone remember the old outfit that used to sell an extended Alice pack frame? The more I use civilian packs, the more I find little tweaks I'd like to make in the Alice pack. In the case of the pack frame, it's about 2" short of really contacting my hips like it should.

Havent done mammoth..yet...but if your looking at a kifaru remember that its a system you buy the duplex lite frame and pretty much any bag they make will fit to it so you can go from their biggest pack to just a guide lid. Also their packs will squish down very small when not used to full capacity.

I am ordering the reckoning pack or the med/large muskeg pack for my upcoming hunts in WY and CO.

Would love to have one of these packs myself. How do you attach a rifle for long distance and balanced transport? A pic would be most useful. Any help is appreciated.

Best way is tight against pack back panel( you can make a sleeve with a trimed cheap foam sleeping pad). That way it's tight against your back. No pics sorry.

scatterbrains
Actually it's a great idea as you can put the rifle in the center and custom fit bags on the side like the Nomad 2.

Thx for the idea.

Best way is tight against pack back panel( you can make a sleeve with a trimed cheap foam sleeping pad). That way it's tight against your back. No pics sorry.

scatterbrains
Actually it's a great idea as you can put the rifle in the center and custom fit bags on the side like the Nomad 2.

Thx for the idea.
I put mine directly against the Kifaru frame with a gun bearer on the butt, top held in by tucking behind top lid or other pouch. Kind of a pain to get in and out, but you don't notice it. Word of caution, I have worn down metal rifle parts on pack fabrics with alot of mileage. Wrapping with a cloth or similar to reduce wear may be a good idea. R

I plan on doing mammoth also and I’ll be running the eberlstock lodrag. I’m thinking that the important things are what feels comfortable when loaded, what will hold up, and what will carry your rifle securely enough for you to move with purpose.

Pictures of last nights first draft just for giggles:
uudglct.jpg

IZHMx2U.jpg

sfRlDRi.jpg

R1Pc7Cf.jpg

Your pictures aren't showing up.

It's weird, but when it showed you quoting the one that had pictures it is showing them on my screen. I shared through IMGUR, maybe that's the problem?

Just ordered a kifaru woodland and ultralight frame. I’ve started tucking already and have plenty of time. I ended up laying out my pack so I’d have an idea for weight.

Attachments

• 1BB1BEBE-FD1A-448C-A914-4004517ACF31.jpeg
    1BB1BEBE-FD1A-448C-A914-4004517ACF31.jpeg
    831.1 KB · Views: 168
Can someone with some experience compare running a Kifaru framed pack (looking at the Nomad 2) with the Gunslinger II?

Briefly skimmed over the pages, didnt see it mentioned, but invest in telescoping carbon fiber trekking poles. It will keep your hands from swelling up during long treks, and can serve as supports for a lean-to or other field expedient tent. Some lightweight tents use trekking poles for support. Which will reduce up to a pound not relying on tent poles and reducing the number of stakes needed. Trekking poles are great for improving your stride uphill and downhill and reducing shock. Can be used as shooting support as well, if needed.

Seriously, I cannot stress enough how much trekking poles improve your endurance and comfort during hikes.

OK so to try and summarize the last 3 pages:
Eberlstock = OK at best; but very heavy.
Alice = dependable, but quite heavy.
Kifaru = a solid choice, but expensive.
Mystery ranch = see Kifaru.
Osprey = none-tactical, but looks like a smartly designed pack & a more economical option (would love to see a photo of a with a rifle carrying rifle on one).
Exo = some positive comments.

There’s been a few other names thrown out there, but these were the main ones discussed.

I get the weight and cost points, but I'm looking for more info about how people have their packs setup; what works and what they don't like.

If people have read my prior posts in this thread, it's obvious I'm very passionate about packs/fitness/field matches. I believe I have found the perfect (for me) pack for any field sniper match. Mystery Ranch Selway 60L. It fits all my criteria for any field/hunting purpose. I recommend it without reservation. If I were going back to Mammoth or any other multiday field match, it is the pack I would bring without reservation.
  • Easy in/out access thanks to Tri-Zip
  • Appropriate weight vs. durability balance
  • Excellent hip belt with molle (accessory pouch or holster attachment)
  • Separate frame and packbag
    • Can carry heavy rifles, meat bags, or any awkward load cinched right against the frame, without sacrificing interior pack volume
    • Frame recommended for loads up to 125 lbs as per MR.
  • Side carry + side pockets to carry lighter rifles/tent poles/axe/etc
  • Minimal interior organization
  • Hydration compatible
Full disclosure, I happen to be selling a spare in the PX (I have two) with a medium waist belt (fits waists 31"-36").
Link: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...with-overload-shelf-for-weapons-meat.6940905/

My partner and I did our first ruck match this year. We went through all this thread posts about so I will put our 2 cents in. My friend was able to comfortably get all his gear into a EXO 2200 and even had room to carry my ammo and tripod when my right leg started to go down on the 2nd/third day. You wont believe the injuries you will sustain.

2019 GA GEAR.JPG

I highly recommend checking out the Seek Outdoors paks as well. I was using the basic 4800 fortress and it weighs couple ounces over 4 lbs. very lightweight. very strong load hauler. and it is 100% waterproof (you will need it lol) the only reason I liked the EXO over the Seek is the Exo has 1" straps which were nice for securing the rifle down. the seek has 3/4" straps. also extra pockets and easy acess to the middle of the pack is a big deal. Seek just released a new pack called the Lanner 5400 that I really like. I will be buying that or a Exo 3500. I cant decide.

Our packs weighed just under 65 pounds with everything. We used almost everything but our ammo. One very important thing to keep in mind. For these matches, they recommend a high round count. Almost EVERY stage had targets you could engage up to 3 times if you missed. My point is this, if you are an above avg shooter, take 40% less ammo. Avg shooter, take 25% less ammo. Crappy shooter take it all. LOL. We carried 200 rifle 100 pistol ea and literally shot less than 70 rounds over 3 days. We also had high score on all the shooting so don't be crazy with it, but for us the biggest weight was ammo and we didn't use any of it.

Other thing, practice in the shoes you plan to use. Get to know them intimetly. I got a new pair of La Sportivas the month before match. For some reason during my practice rucks, my right foot would go numb. I thought my shoe was too tight. Nope was too loose. During the first 4 mile hike into the match, my foot was sliding around and I got a couple doozy blisters right away. Son of ah.

GL
DT

Attachments

• 2019 GA PACK.jpg
    2019 GA PACK.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
  • 2019 GA WALKING.jpg
    2019 GA WALKING.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
  • PACKED GA.jpg
    PACKED GA.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 224
If a heavier pack carries better than a lighter pack then gonwith one that carries well. I preferred my GS2 over the backpacking pack. The way the rifle carried made it better. The Eberlestock was heavier but carried better. And if you get your gear load down then it may not matter. Ask yourself this, would I rather carry 57 pounds in an uncomfortable pack or 60 pounds in one that works well?

As far as the training regimens, work in some speed work as well as heavy long distance. If you can jog the first 1/4 mile then back off to a walking pace you’ll be able to have a big jump on the time hack. Also, you won’t get caught up among other competitors and potentially be stuck, waiting to get around them. Also, you won’t run the risk of taking a muzzle brake to the teeth if you’re out ahead of everyone. That’ll really slow you down.

Stone Glacier or Kifaru

Im actually going with a Kifaru Reckoning this time around.

Used a Stone Glacier last hunting season but didn't like how my rifle fit on it. Was wonderful for my bow.

Hoping the Kifaru is better with the three compression straps down across the pack. I'll shave weight somewhere else.

So this year I turn 40. Call it a planned midlife crisis but I have set a goal to compete in mammoth next year.

I started with a personal trainer last month and have given myself a year to hit a target fitness goal.

Obviously the fitness piece is what clears the field at mammoth and pack weight is huge.

I need help with selecting a pack and hope to draw on the fields experience. Packs considered at this point.

Eberlestock Gunslinger II gen2
Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

Obviously weight of pack, stability, ease of use and cost are all factors.

I love the versitilty and build of the Kifaru. But big money.

The new gen 2 gunslinger II shaves some weight vs the earlier versions. It’s the least expensive which frees up money to upgrade to some other lighter weight gear specificly a lighter weight quilt/sleeping bag

The exo mountain k3500 seems like the perfect middle ground between the two. I love the weight of the exo and the clean simple layout and design, but it is significantly more cost than the eberlestock and I feel it has the worst rifle attachment of the bunch.

Thoughts ?
Exo or Kifaru are the way to go. I use a Kifaru, personally. Used it overseas, used it hunting and packing all over the US. Packed out elk and bear with it and never had any issues with it. They support heavy loads really well, and Aron Snyder (R&D president of Kifaru) told me once that it'd be me that quit before the pack did!
I think their solid packs. Sure, they're expensive, but they are worth every dime in my opinion. But, I also use them on a weekly basis.

Also, you won’t run the risk of taking a muzzle brake to the teeth if you’re out ahead of everyone. That’ll really slow you down.

There are more than a few pictures of this years Mammoth with guys humping rifles horizontally on their shoulders, muzzle f$cking the guys next to them. I do these style of matches all the time, and that flat out should not be tolerated. I get that guys are gassed, everyone is working hard, but no compromise there.

Reactions: FishDr
There are more than a few pictures of this years Mammoth with guys humping rifles horizontally on their shoulders, muzzle f$cking the guys next to them. I do these style of matches all the time, and that flat out should not be tolerated. I get that guys are gassed, everyone is working hard, but no compromise there.

What about this shouldn’t be tolerated or compromised on? It’s a pretty effective method to carry the rifle that keeps the weight balanced.

What about this shouldn’t be tolerated or compromised on? It’s a pretty effective method to carry the rifle that keeps the weight balanced.

My last thought on it, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I can't say letting the muzzle of a weapon muzzle someone else is cool. Effective, sure. So is a sling or pack, with the rifle aimed where breaking another firearms rule wouldn't result in an tragedy.

Stone Glacier or Kifaru

Im actually going with a Kifaru Reckoning this time around.

Used a Stone Glacier last hunting season but didn't like how my rifle fit on it. Was wonderful for my bow.

Hoping the Kifaru is better with the three compression straps down across the pack. I'll shave weight somewhere else.

I just got my kifaru woodsman. Basically the little brother and I think there should be plenty of space if you haven’t ordered it yet. I got a couple of belt bags and 2 spotting scope pockets to keep stuff on the outside and close at hand should I need the extra space. I really like the kifaru stuff but worries about stuff getting lost in such a big single compartment bag so went the size smaller but either bag should be great.

Which frame did you go with? I went with the lightweight duplex 24” frame

@Dschapp44 I talked to AAAAAron and Frank about it before purchasing.

The Reckoning in day pack mode is quite small so thinking it will be ideal. Plus I also do a lot of hunting where some trips are 8-10 days and I'm backpacking a Hilleberg Soulo tent so it's larger than some of the new style floorless.

Woodsman is a really nice pack though.

@Dschapp44 I talked to AAAAAron and Frank about it before purchasing.

The Reckoning in day pack mode is quite small so thinking it will be ideal. Plus I also do a lot of hunting where some trips are 8-10 days and I'm backpacking a Hilleberg Soulo tent so it's larger than some of the new style floorless.

Woodsman is a really nice pack though.

Yeah I don’t think you can go wrong with either pack and that’s good to know about the reckoning. I edited the post maybe to late but which frame did you go with?

I ended up going with the tactical just because I packed out a damn Elk alone last year but I don't think there's really that much of a difference. I would have taken either and been happy.

I went with a really lightweight set-up on the Stone Mountain but I pack pretty light overall. The big items like pack and tent I just deal with the weight.

I've done some reading on the Mystery Ranch Selway 60L after I got done looking at the terraframe 50L. The only thing that makes me nervous is all that rifle weight on one side of the pack. My rifle weighs 16# and that's not with any ammo. I ended up picking up an Osprey Aether 70L just based on it's reputation of carrying a heavy load. There's a great local mom & pops outdoor gear store and the lady working there is married to cop and carry's so it's not the typical hippie behind the counter. I haven't gotten a chance to load it up and pound miles with it yet, but I've got a black iron pipe that weighs 16# to strap to it just so I don't freak out the neighbors when I get out with it at night. We'll see how this round goes.

Reactions: regnar375
I've done some reading on the Mystery Ranch Selway 60L after I got done looking at the terraframe 50L. The only thing that makes me nervous is all that rifle weight on one side of the pack. My rifle weighs 16# and that's not with any ammo.

My bolt rig weighs the same as yours. I keep it on the Overload shelf between the frame and the pack body. A lighter mountain rifle or 7 lbs SBR would go on the side if I were carrying a carbine, but for a heavy rifle, centered right along the spine is the way to go.

Going against my urge to go ultra-light, I'm trying out the Eberlestock J51 Warhammer.

It's a pack similar to the Kifaru Nomad 2, but half the cost and made with heavier fabric. It uses an ALICE style frame in what I would describe as an internal frame setup. The padding in this pack is exceptional.

Sitting at 8.5lb empty, it's a pig compared to the Kifaru Nomad 2 w/ 24" frame (6.25lbs) or the Eberlestock Gunslinger II w/ frame (7.16lbs).

At $300, it's a cheaper option compared to the Nomad 2 ($652), and similar in price to the Gunslinger II ($330).

1. 1000D construction, arguably more durable than the Kifaru.
  2. 2050cc of storage, marginally more than the Nomad II.
  3. Loading bay for rifle (I plan to switch to the Kifaru Nomad 2 gun cradle)
  4. Native compatibility with zip-in dry bags or the Little Brother pack.
  5. $300 price
  6. Up to 2.25lbs heavier than the other options compared
  7. Superior comfort and adjustability compared to the gunslinger II.

warhammer.jpg

After trying multiple packs, I'm going with a similar arrangement, but decided on the Skycrane. I will probably wish I went with the Warhammer for the larger outside pockets, but essentially plan to zip in the modular duffle bag. Will see how this works out... my wife says I have more packs than she has purses and shoes.

Any suggestions on attaching a rifle to a molle setup pack? Would like to keep rifle vertical and pack is a halftrack.

I still use what I put together in Afghanistan and then keep refining it. It does what all the Eberlestock packs do, but without any of the extra shit, random pouches on the outside and weighs alot less. I had to figure this out on a requirement that I was able to have armor or a rack on which was for my primary weapon and everything secondary had to be on the ruck (or have the option to be moved to the ruck). Enough room for a radio, snivel gear, electronics, maintenance gear, hydration, all relevant data and landnav equipment, screening grenades, secondary IFAK and the ability to still scale it to stow NV equipment yet also not 'tied' to the rack/carrier.

- ATS Raid II ruck with internal pack frame with a 1000D dump pouch attached to the bottom molle that can roll up when not needed
- Outside zipped panel has precision ammo binder/loaded precision gun mags and data book/all shooting related information
- Left (weak side) lashings hold tripod against ruck
- Right side has IFAK and pouch for binoculars I can access with ruck still on
- 2x extra lashings (one high, one low) that horiuzontally go across the back of the ruck, yet do not go far enough to either side to interfer with any pouches or tripod; this is how you secure the rifle to the rear of your pack and have the buttstock sitting in the dump pouch. Simple secure with the 2 lashings and put a scope cover/muzzle cover on the rifle
- Unzip the ruck and it has an internal molle 'wall' in the pack; purpose build pouch for Trimble/data computer, purpose built pouch for PLRF15c and Kestrel, E&E type pouch with seperate compartments for batteries, essential maintenance tools, electrical tape, backup rifle parts, etc.
- Rear bag goes inside on the bottom
- Hydration flap is on the inside where the pack frame is and stays out of the way

With most of the equipment in it (not the rifle, tripod), it stills weighs less than most full sized gun carrier packs by themselves. Deploying the gun is 2x lashings (or more if you add another) once the pack is down, slide the rifle out, take the scope/muzzle cover off. Lay down in position and your data book/ammo is in the zipper pocket right there without even opening the pack. If you need your PLRF/kestrell/whatever, simply open the main zipper and its all right there on the molle 'wall'; no digging or getting 10 things out and making a yard sale around you.

I'd like to see the pictures as well. I've been out for 15 years and can't picture any of this.