• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PACT scale can't make up its mind

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
My PACT scale, probably 15 years old by now, won't settle down reliably to read a charge weight.

It is coupled to a PACT electronic powder dispenser.

Sometimes the dispenser pours an accurate charge, sometimes the scale hunts within a few grains of the final target weight, sometimes it settles on a charge half a grain higher than programmed, and sometimes it continues to flash "tare" while the dispenser is running.

I have tried all the usual tricks: unplugging it to cool it down, then leaving it to warm up properly, shaking it in case a few powder grains got lodged under the pan, etc.

I would call PACT, but their customer service is so rude that this time I want to be prepared for all their demeaning questions.

Has anyone here fixed a similar problem? Do electronic scales have a useful life that I don't know about?

Thanks.

Graham, I have the same setup as you, probably 6-7 yrs old. Found my scale gives me fits when a cell phone or IPad is close to it. Haven't had mine flash tare, but it will over throw with phone close to it,hope this helps.

Hmm... Didn't think of that. Maybe my phone was in my pocket?!

Thanks. I'll try that.

I have one that I quit using for powder years ago that showed the same issues, determined that whenever an inductive load (refrigerator or AC compressor) came on, the scale would act up.

I tried to find a sucker to sell mine too and gave up. Got tired of storing it and put it in dumpster. I don't want another.

I also had some very weird scale problems. Called PACT. Explained the prob. I was asked if there was a cell tower near. ....Duh.., yes. Also a new SMART meter!
Was asked if I knew what the Faraday effect was.... "take a cardboard box. Line it with aluminium foil. Wow. the scale settled in. Gave repeatable weight checks-several times.
I now have a wood " box " lined with alu foil. Scale is 100 %
This is from the Pact guys! I have two cell towers within a half mile, and a "smart" meter that is two feet from the scale.

Interesting. But my scale talks to my powder dispenser so I can't isolate it.

I tried to move my Pact scale from the back of the bench to the front to make it more convenient for measuring for rifle. Wild variations of weights and zero. Moved to back where it was, problem solved. Maybe it was my phone.

I had the same problem with my Lyman DPS. If my cell phone was close it would hunt and over charge. Also it was in the basement directly under the TV and Dish network box. Moved bench and left phone out of room when using it and problem went away.