• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Paint for steel targets

I use the cheapest paint I can get. White with a yellow or orange trueing line. I recently bought some 1/4" ar500 silhouettes from jc steel targets. He makes the best targets I've got. Recommended for up to either 300 or 338, I dont remember off hand, at 1000+. They've been shot with 308 and 6.5cm at 750 and 1125 and it doesn't leave a mark. Rings real nice though.

So I was doing some locates and thought to read the stuff we use at work. I'm guessing this is what the OP has? We get it from USAbluebook and I've used it once in a pinch.
20200116_111922.jpg

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
So I was doing some locates and thought to read the stuff we use at work. I'm guessing this is what the OP has? We get it from USAbluebook and I've used it once in a pinch. View attachment 7226843

I don't recall exactly which specific one, but it sure looked like that. Works really good for adding a waterline. Paint is real thick and covers a lot without running much.

I don't recall exactly which specific one, but it sure looked like that. Works really good for adding a waterline. Paint is real thick and covers a lot without running much.
I stumbled on to this thread. I have had good luck with the locate paint. Covers quick and usually don't run. Seems to work in the cold here in the midwest.

Reactions: stello1001
I do a lot of embryo transfers on cattle so I have cases and cases of heat detector paint. It’s bright and free! Works for me.

Attachments

• 22ED170E-D18F-4E76-8148-1132A9F664BB.jpeg
    22ED170E-D18F-4E76-8148-1132A9F664BB.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 32
I know this is a relatively old thread but figured I'd ask here.

For those who paint their targets and just leave them as is, meaning you're not constantly applying paint after each session, do you find the paint cooks and sticks to your target over time? I have my target painted from like maybe 3 weeks ago but barely shot it today. It was a bitch spotting impacts from 375 yards because the paint would not chip off.

Is this the result of having painted my target weeks ago? Or do you believe it was possibly something else? I've never had this happen.

20200527_194304.jpg

By the way, I was able to drill through the plate and get some grade 8 bolts in 3/8 thickness...

I know this is a relatively old thread but figured I'd ask here.

For those who paint their targets and just leave them as is, meaning you're not constantly applying paint after each session, do you find the paint cooks and sticks to your target over time? I have my target painted from like maybe 3 weeks ago but barely shot it today. It was a bitch spotting impacts from 375 yards because the paint would not chip off.

Is this the result of having painted my target weeks ago? Or do you believe it was possibly something else? I've never had this happen.

View attachment 7337685

By the way, I was able to drill through the plate and get some grade 8 bolts in 3/8 thickness...
Use white.

Use white.

Kind of a bummer cause now I have a practically full bottle of yellow that I guess I won't use.

Oh well, maybe I can paint it orange and shoot at it.

On a more serious note though, if I used white, it would be the exact same type of paint. That yellow is rustoleum 2x and if I bought white I'd be buying the same line of paint.

Kind of a bummer cause now I have a practically full bottle of yellow that I guess I won't use.

Oh well, maybe I can paint it orange and shoot at it.

On a more serious note though, if I used white, it would be the exact same type of paint. That yellow is rustoleum 2x and if I bought white I'd be buying the same line of paint.
White rustoleum is all I use. I tried the yellow and orange. You will see the difference.

No, no, no, you owe it to yourself to buy "white lacquer spray paint" because it drys quick and it covers better than anything else. It goes along way too because you don't need to use as much of it.

Most of those cheap white spray paints are more like a "white clear coat" than a paint.

No, no, no, you owe it to yourself to buy "white lacquer spray paint" because it drys quick and it covers better than anything else. It goes along way too because you don't need to use as much of it.

Most of those cheap white spray paints are more like a "white clear coat" than a paint.

I'm not entirely sure who you're replying to but if it's me, I'm paying 5 bucks a spray can so not buying cheap paint. I switched to this rustoleum 2X after having used cheap paint before which only seemed to be skim milk rather than anything else lol.

Reactions: wade2big
I'm not entirely sure who you're replying to but if it's me, I'm paying 5 bucks a spray can so not buying cheap paint. I switched to this rustoleum 2X after having used cheap paint before which only seemed to be skim milk rather than anything else lol.

Anybody using that uses the skim milk kind, like 105gr above.