• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Paint removal from H-S Precision stock

Charlie Papa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2005
Rural TN
I found a PSS for sale that someone painted, but I'm not sure what kind of paint it is. It looks similar to Krylon. Is there a way to strip it off the stock without messing up the stock's original finish?

Thanks for any advice or experiences with this.

Re: Paint removal from H-S Precision stock

If you check at a paint store, you'll find several different levels of paint remover. Those with the high levels of VOC (volatile organic compounds, or harsh solvents) are meant for the tough paints...epoxy or polyurethane. Softer, water washable removers won't hurt the under lying stock finish. There is an orange "natural" paint remover that seems to be mild. Try whichever you select on a small area...such as the tip of the forearm. If it works and doesn't harm the underneath finish, go for it. You may find that there was a reason to paint the stock in the first place!

Acetone takes off klylon and does not seem to affect my polymer. Rubbing alchohol might also work.

There are a variety of "safe" degreasers, such as the Castrol stuff in the purple jug, that will gently remove paint. I've also used brake fluid to remove paint from plastic, but I'd try it in a small area before hitting the whole stock.