• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PAPAGALLOS and OGONZALEZ13 need your HELP!! DBM or Floorplate?

ogonzalez13

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Laredo, Texas
Papagallos and myself want to build a lightweight dedicated hunting rifle. The rifle will be chambered in 6.5 SAUM.

Now the big argument I am having with Papa is on choosing a DBM (Detachable Box Magazine/Bottom Metal, Surgeon, Badger M5, APA etc..) over a Floorplate (BDL, Badger M4, Williams, Etc...).

I say to go with the floorplate.

Papa says he wants a DBM.

Help end the madness!!!!!!

REMEMBER THIS IS A DEDICATED HUNTING RIFLE!!!!!

Floor plate for sure.

The first time you leave that mag at home on a hunt.......

I just had Marc build me a dedicated hunter...went with the hinged floorplate. Reason was less things to get hung up on trying to find a rest to shoot off of in the field, and sometimes I like to get right under where the mag would be for an offhand shot. My buddy just had him build the exact rig but with APA's RTG... I'll let you know what I think once I handle it. I do like being able to pull the mag out, and god forbid I needed to reload, I'd be screwed with the BDL...I say you each do one differently and let the shit talking begin!

DBM. Reasons:
1. Buy two mags - one for the rifle and a loaded one goes in your pocket or pack. No keeping track of loose rounds.
2. Transporting a rifle in some states requires the rifle to be completely unloaded while in transport - either on an ATV or in a vehicle. A DBM makes this way easier.
3. George has it on his Elite Hunter and In George We Trust.

Who are y'all kiddin? All the rifles y'all go through? Everyone knows you don't build one at a time and it will probably be for sale after a couple boxes of ammo go through it.

BDL for a dedicated hunting rifle. KISS.

Ryan

DBM. Reasons:
1. Buy two mags - one for the rifle and a loaded one goes in your pocket or pack. No keeping track of loose rounds.
2. Transporting a rifle in some states requires the rifle to be completely unloaded while in transport - either on an ATV or in a vehicle. A DBM makes this way easier.

This guy has it right.

Who are y'all kiddin? All the rifles y'all go through? Everyone knows you don't build one at a time and it will probably be for sale after a couple boxes of ammo go through it.

BDL for a dedicated hunting rifle. KISS.

Ryan

Exactly why we need to get it right. So it will be more appealing to the masses when we do offer it up for sale. LOL!

I'm having a dedicated light weight 6.5saum being built right now on a Kimber 8400 action, carbon stock, and I went with a CDI DBM. The reasoning was reliable feeding and the ease of removing and inserting loaded rounds. The 3 round mag doesnt protrude to much for me.

I am with papa all the way, DBM. Mark at Spartan is building another rifle for me and it is a 6.5 SAUM with a Surgeon DBM.

DBM for me.

APA bottom metal and Accurate Mags. I went with Defiance bottom metal but the APA would be a great light weight choice.

DBM. Reasons:

This.

Floor plate. Get it anodized a matte black and have something engraved on it.

I'm a fan of the mythosaur.

kxNjSEZ.jpg

His is dbm for sure...it sticks out.

In all seriousness. I would run a dbm and run a ai 5rd mag...short and sweet.

For a hunter I would go floor plate. Or at least a very short mag. If I had to get one it would be floor plate. You only need one shot anyway.

My vote is for the APA RTG. It is sleeker than any out there, works as good or better with a very low chance of an accidental release. Justification over the floor plate is simply for ease of loading and unloading, quicker, quieter, less effort, easier to do in the dark, no loose rounds when not loaded.

Same here +1 with papa I to currently have marc from spartan (very nice guy) build me a hunting rig on a stiller tac 30 in 6.5 creedmoor with H.S. precision gen 1 dbm reason being is all other dbm (surgeon, badger, seekin, cdi, just to name a few) has the 5 rd mag sticking out that could be or get into my way where as the H.S. precision has 4 rd mag thats flush like hinge floor plate.

Just food for thought.
I sent my Win M70 (floor plate) off to GAP for a dedicated hunter in 7wsm. Before it left it held 3 in the mag with the bolt closed but after I got it back it only held 2. George said he could set it up to hold 3 in the mag but the bottom metal wouldn't set flush in the T3 stock.

APA DBM, it is lightweight and clean. I like the ease and speed of loading and unloading. If your flush cups are on the side the mag won't dig you in the back.

Floor plate, nothing worse that being in the field and something happened to the mag(s).

George is building my 6.5 with floor plate, he suggested the PTG for this build. George built my 338 win mag and put a Sunny Hill, floor plate on that one.

As many mile as that 338 has on a snow machine, 4 wheeler, side by side, canoe, boat. I never have to worry about is a mag still there.

K.I.S.S., What would Mr. Murphy do?

Floorplates suck gangreen donkey dicks. I will NEVER hunt with a rifle with a floorplate, or blind magazine again.

You'll think KISS when you bind up cartridges in a magazine.....especially short, fat ones like the SAUM's....been there done that. Sooner or later it will bite you in the ass.

There isn't anyone on this site that's hunted more than me....trust me, I know what works.

Floorplates suck gangreen donkey dicks. I will NEVER hunt with a rifle with a floorplate, or blind magazine again.

You'll think KISS when you bind up cartridges in a magazine.....especially short, fat ones like the SAUM's....been there done that. Sooner or later it will bite you in the ass.

There isn't anyone on this site that's hunted more than me....trust me, I know what works.

Pat has spoken.

Shut this thread down, OG13!

By the way, you owe me a case of beer and a DBM for the build, bitch!!!!

The God's have spoken. Though stall not floorplate.

Mr. Sinclair's advise is wise. I do not have the days in the field that Mr. Sinclair does. I also have had issues with feeding from floorplates, blind mags, and mags. For me there is nothing worse that getting off a machine go to rack one in the chamber, only to find the mag has fallen out. So its floorplates for me. My GAP m70 338 wm w/Sunny hill (3 down) floorplate is the only rifle that I have not had any issues with. I put 446 miles hunting off snow machine this winter with the GAP slung over my back, coldest I remember hunting in was back in Jan when it was -40ish below. That GAP functioned flawless at -40, and brought home a nice caribou that day. For those that don't know, Mr. Sinclair makes one hell of a hunting sling, it has no equal, and no doubt about it is the best sling that I have ever used.

Good discussion, I enjoy seeing others experience and points of view.

Good luck with your decision.

Just food for thought, but last time I was over at AO, Mark was talking about taking AI mags and cutting them down so that they sit flush and having them laser welded back together. Probably lose a round or two of capacity but you get a flush fit at the bottom.

DBM.

I like carrying two types of ammo in the field. I typically hunt where Brown bears live. I prefer accubonds for bears up close, but for the longer shots I like using bergers/amax. Out and about I keep the accubonds in the rifle. When the shot presents for a caribou or moose, quick change the mag for the amax/bergers.....it's what I do...don't know if anyone else does...

Last edited:
Hinged floorplates can and do bind, wait till it costs you a shot and then you'll never go back. Just watched a video of a guide's gun jamming on a brown bear charge, thankfully there were two guides and the other stopped the bear.

The one thing I did learn, while reading this debate, is there seems to be a 50/50 split on what people would like or use on a hunting rifle so your resale value comes down to the people who are diehards on what they would use and wouldn't accept the other system under any circumstances. I would take either a DBM or Blind mag set-up if I liked the rifle and it shot well; but, I am sure there wil be others that would turn their nose up at it just because it didn't suit them 100%. One good things about rifles you can always change things you don't like relatively easily.

I do wonder what's going to happen to the rifle when you two get a divorce? Also, it also good that the both of you are right handed.

Last edited:
My vote is for the APA RTG. It is sleeker than any out there, works as good or better with a very low chance of an accidental release. Justification over the floor plate is simply for ease of loading and unloading, quicker, quieter, less effort, easier to do in the dark, no loose rounds when not loaded.

This. Plus the more reliable feeding of the mag as others have noted as well.

DBM! its the only way to rock,you can take off the mag and not spill a load of loose rounds on the ground with your cold clumsy fingers,been there and done that ...at night.. with hinged floorplates.Put one mag on the rifle and another in your pocket,No loose rounds rattling about.I run 5 round AI mags on my 308 for hunting and the mag has never got in the way, IF it did you just take it off for that one shot.

My tikka T3 came with DBM. Its flush(ish) and would be tough to accidentally drop the mag. I liked floor plates due me being a cheap sonofagun, and haven't had any of the afore mentioned problems on my R700. That said, the Tikka's have taken over as my hunting rifles due to out of box goodness (accuracy, dbm, stock of good enough quality) and little need for upgrades for a hunting rifle. My first T3 in .308 was used and came with two mags. My second is in '06 and has only one mag, but found them for $57. A lot for a 3 rd mag but after the money I saved it still puts me well below planned budget.
As for gangrene donkey dicks, never checked out a donkey dick so close (plus I would feel really small after I am sure). I did recently see a gangrenous finger. Meth is bad, umkay....

My next hunting rifle is DBM. I am finished with blind mags and floor plates. Had too many issues with feeding etc.

Just food for thought, but last time I was over at AO, Mark was talking about taking AI mags and cutting them down so that they sit flush and having them laser welded back together. Probably lose a round or two of capacity but you get a flush fit at the bottom.

This with the APA bottom metal sounds like a perfect compromise. I have considered doing this to an AM myself, but switched hunting rifles instead. I'd bet you could get 3 in the magazine and still have it be very close to flush with the stock, if it was done right.