• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Patagonia Ballistics LB3 is now ColdBore !

CB1 predictive accuracy is so good, most especially when going transonic that it's almost boring. Good luck with the 375 CT and tell us more on your setup.

I will be using it with a few different rifles. My 375 Cheytac. It is built on a Stiller TAC 408 action, Benchmark 1.250" no contour 1:10.5 twist barrel ,spiral fluted with Schuler brake, Jewel trigger, McRee chassis, Atlas Bi-pod, 20 MOA base, 40 MOA Barrett rings, Night Force 8x32x56 scope.

I will be running it with my 6.5 SAUM as well, it is built on a Remmington 700 LA, Benchmark 1:8 Twist, 24" barrell with Elite Iron Delta Suppressor, Jewel trigger, McRee Chassis, Atlas bi-pod, USO 3.2x17x44, Barrett rings.

6.5 Creedmoor (match gun) It is a LH Stiller TAC 30 AW action, 26" 1:8.5 twist Benchmark barrel, McRee Chassis, Atlas Bi-pod, USO 5x25x58 scope, Jewel Trigger, Ross Schuler Brake (or can from the SAUM)

Barrett model 99 50 BMG 29" fluted barrel. (currently wearing a borrowed NF scope, need to get some glass on there, haven't been shooting it much since I got the Cheytac up and running)

Vectronix Terrapin for a range finder and soon to be in conjunction with the Nomad and Coldbore, I really hope it is all that its cracked up to be, it will be a very valuable tool on hunting trips! Have you tried the AA battery conversion? I was thinking of carrying one of those with me when doing back country hunts.

I will be using it with a few different rifles. My 375 Cheytac. It is built on a Stiller TAC 408 action, Benchmark 1.250" no contour 1:10.5 twist barrel ,spiral fluted with Schuler brake, Jewel trigger, McRee chassis, Atlas Bi-pod, 20 MOA base, 40 MOA Barrett rings, Night Force 8x32x56 scope.

I will be running it with my 6.5 SAUM as well, it is built on a Remmington 700 LA, Benchmark 1:8 Twist, 24" barrell with Elite Iron Delta Suppressor, Jewel trigger, McRee Chassis, Atlas bi-pod, USO 3.2x17x44, Barrett rings.
6.5 Creedmoor (match gun) It is a LH Stiller TAC 30 AW action, 26" 1:8.5 twist Benchmark barrel, McRee Chassis, Atlas Bi-pod, USO 5x25x58 scope, Jewel Trigger, Ross Schuler Brake (or can from the SAUM)

Barrett model 99 50 BMG 29" fluted barrel. (currently wearing a borrowed NF scope, need to get some glass on there, haven't been shooting it much since I got the Cheytac up and running)Vectronix Terrapin for a range finder and soon to be in conjunction with the Nomad and Coldbore, I really hope it is all that its cracked up to be, it will be a very valuable tool on hunting trips! Have you tried the AA battery conversion? I was thinking of carrying one of those with me when doing back country hunts.

Fantastic collection and a nice head to go along with! I think you are well covered for ELR :D

Nope, never tried the AA conversion, but I got the charger and never used it. Battery lasted for ever because I always turn the unit off (not shutdown) putting in some sort of standby mode saving a lot of power with the screen off. I really do not play with the Trimble while on the field, just for taking shots, GPS and such. If you follow that usage the battery will be good for several hunts on a single charge.

Thank you sir!

Good information to have, When we go in elk hunting we often will stay back there for 8-10 days and we are anywhere from 10-25 miles from nowhere, so I like to have a backup to my backup! :) I see where you are coming from though. Got my blue tooth capable kestrel today, the Nomad should be here anyday now. Looking forward to getting it up and running. Hoping to test drive this weekend.

Fantastic collection and a nice head to go along with! I think you are well covered for ELR :D

Nope, never tried the AA conversion, but I got the charger and never used it. Battery lasted for ever because I always turn the unit off (not shutdown) putting in some sort of standby mode saving a lot of power with the screen off. I really do not play with the Trimble while on the field, just for taking shots, GPS and such. If you follow that usage the battery will be good for several hunts on a single charge.

Got my Trimble Nomad and got Coldbore downloaded to desk top but cannot get it to load on my handheld:

1. My computer did not have mobile device center, ( I downloaded that and now my computer recognizes the Trimble)
2. When I try to run the coldbore mobile setup with my device connected it just goes through the motions and gives me the adobe pdf instruction manual but doesn't load the actual program.
3. The CD that came with Trimble "getting started" wont run on my computer says I need a new version (8.0 or newer), I have tried un-installing and re-installing that adobe flash player that it is asking for multiple times only to get the same results.
4. I have gone to Trimble site to try and download firm ware, driver files etc... nothing
5. I have a computer geek coming over this afternoon to see if he can work his magic, if any of you have ran into this or know what I need to do to get it from computer to handheld that would be AWESOME. I fucking hate computers!

Computer guy got it sorted out. I did install the .net framework the other night and I had gotten to the point where computer was recognizing my trimble, I just couldn't get software from pc to trimble. He got it sorted out. Now I am trying to get the mobile unit to recognize my kestrel, the bluetooth is turned on on both units but it wont recognize my kestrel. any thoughts?

I can get my unit to find the kestrel via bluetooth, but when I try to get conditions it gives me an error code saying Kestrel is either off or the wrong port was selected. I have repeated the process several times but cannot get this SOB to pair.....

Here are some screen shots that I am getting on the unit. I get bluetooth hooked up (which I am not sure I am doing correctly) I select the Kestrel when it finds it; enter the PIN number as the passcode; select serial port; then select a com port, either com8, or com9 is available, and fucked if I know which one is supposed to be used, but I have tried them both then this is how it goes when I start cold bore;

Then when I hit device; start it gives me this shit;

I have tried turning both the Nomad and the kestrel off, I have removed the kestrel from the bluetooth options and reinstalled it, I cannot seem to get past this horse shit, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Have you fixed that Bluetooth thing already? Sometimes the Kestrel gets picky and refuses to work properly with the data link, sure happened to me and others before, nothing really important but annoying. From what you posted, Coldbore already recognized the unit so the problem must be elsewhere.

No sir, I have not got it sorted out. It will work intermittently, I have a new battery ordered for my Nomad, it is completely shot. It has to be plugged into AC power at all times, not sure if that is affecting it or not, but will try again when my new battery arrives and see how it does. A buddy of mine has Shooter on his droid phone and we successfully paired my Kestrel with his phone and it was repeatable so problem lies with my Nomad I believe. Hopefully the new batteries take care of it. I hooked up to it tonight and very first attempt I was successful. I closed out of there to see if it was repeatable and the next two attempts failed.

Have you fixed that Bluetooth thing already? Sometimes the Kestrel gets picky and refuses to work properly with the data link, sure happened to me and others before, nothing really important but annoying. From what you posted, Coldbore already recognized the unit so the problem must be elsewhere.

No sir, I have not got it sorted out. It will work intermittently, I have a new battery ordered for my Nomad, it is completely shot. It has to be plugged into AC power at all times, not sure if that is affecting it or not, but will try again when my new battery arrives and see how it does. A buddy of mine has Shooter on his droid phone and we successfully paired my Kestrel with his phone and it was repeatable so problem lies with my Nomad I believe. Hopefully the new batteries take care of it. I hooked up to it tonight and very first attempt I was successful. I closed out of there to see if it was repeatable and the next two attempts failed.

Since the Kestrel unit is working fine when paired to the phone, and the link works intermittently on the Nomad, it’s quite possible you are facing some setting issues. Actually it’s not likely to be a battery problem because being on AC should be a perfect condition power-wise. My suggestion at this point is to check the baud rate of the phone serial connection and compare it to what is set on the Nomad. Could be a likely cause for the intermittency, despite the fact that they should be able to talk to each other at the lowest possible one, which should be done automatically. Usually it’s set to a default of 4800 bps which is more than enough. It is also a good thing to check before looking for another cause, like a hardware issue.

Got called in to work in the middle of the night, so I dicked with it again while unwinding this morning.

If I do a "hard shutdown", remove it from power source and let it re-boot, it will connect on the first try, every time, but if I exit out of the program and try to get back in it is a no-go. It becomes very intermittent if I try to reconnect to blue tooth connection and start over, it may work 1-2 times out of 10, but if I shut it down and restart the whole Nomad device, I don't even have to check pairing, I can just go straight to Coldbore and it communicates perfectly with Kestrel every time, but like I said it is a one time deal, if you go away from program there is no going back without dicking with pairing process until you are blue in the face or doing a "hard shutdown".

I looked for BAUD rate thing,the only place that I could find any settings like that are on the GPS and it seems to be working ok.

Got it working, still has the glitch where it wont connect more than once without doing a "hard re-boot" of the NOMAD, but it will connect with the Kestrel on the initial start-up. So far it seems to be tracking real well. I am happy with the program and the unit. I see what you were saying about the battery lasting a long time, I usually only have it up and running long enough to write down drops for the distances I am going to be shooting, batteries should last a long time that way.

Looking forward to getting it out at some ELR and testing it with the Cheytac, we have a few big matches coming up, going to run it with my Creedmoor for those so I can get used to the ins and outs of the program, then I will get back to the long game once we get done with these comps. (I get side tracked to easy! :) Not even going to load ammo for the Cheytac until things calm down a bit)

I'm buying a Nomad soon and mainly for use with Coldbore, but I still need to decide which keypad to get on it... either the PDA keypad or the Numeric keypad. It seems like it might take longer to enter numbers on the PDA style keypad, but this is just my speculation since I have no experience with either keypad on the Nomad. Is one keypad better than the other for this type of use?

I'm buying a Nomad soon and mainly for use with Coldbore, but I still need to decide which keypad to get on it... either the PDA keypad or the Numeric keypad. It seems like it might take longer to enter numbers on the PDA style keypad, but this is just my speculation since I have no experience with either keypad on the Nomad. Is one keypad better than the other for this type of use?

Since you are going to purchase a Nomad just for running CB, have you considered the Windows Phone version? It's really fantastic with new features, 50x faster (blazing fast indeed) when running ballistics calcs than the Mobile version and a used Windows Phone will cost you a lot less, and no need to have service just internet access to download the package. If you go that route, make sure the phone has WP 8.1 installed

Since you are going to purchase a Nomad just for running CB, have you considered the Windows Phone version? It's really fantastic with new features, 50x faster (blazing fast indeed) when running ballistics calcs than the Mobile version and a used Windows Phone will cost you a lot less, and no need to have service just internet access to download the package. If you go that route, make sure the phone has WP 8.1 installed

I had considered a Windows phone but I decided to go with the Nomad for many reasons. I like the ruggedness of the Nomad with the specified testing for water, dust, drop, etc. and felt it would hold up better to the harsh environments I operate in. It definitely put a dent in the wallet, but on the other hand, I like to only buy once. Thanks for your input.