• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s Pawn shop knowledge

Win70chris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
Dallas, TX
I just went to the local pawn shop close to my in laws house in Oklahoma and noticed an AK. It was chambered in 5.56 but had a converted 5.45 magazine. I mentioned this to the fellow behind the counter to which he answered "it does not matter since 5.45 and 5.56 are the same caliber". I politely explained that 5.45x39.5 is not the same as 5.56x45 but he told me he was sure that he was right because the Internet told him so. I figured I must be in some goofy insurance TV ad and left. It is sad that people selling rifles know so little about them.

He also could not understand why the Glock 21 and 37 had different grip profiles since they were both .45's.

Re: Pawn shop knowledge

Biggest pawn shop near me has a Barrett M99 in stock for the amazing price of $6400. No optics. Just the rifle. Even after providing quotes and Barret's own MSRP he comes back with "That's bull shit. I can't even get them at that price as a dealer!" Bunch of idiots.

Some pawn shops are really good but most are not. I love the guys that tell you line after line of BS about their overpriced guns and then to find in their case a Colt Officer's Model Match .22lr for $200. My best pawn shop buy was in Billings MT, I got an M73B1 sniper scope for $5, right next to it in the case was a Simmons for $30.

Gun shows are no different. I sell at a few shows a year, the table rent is worth the entertainment value just to hear the BS being shoveled around.

found a SKS-M last year for 150.00, all ready had a 500.00 offer to take it off my hands.....then look at the pistols and Gen 2 Glocks (rough is a understatement) for 500.00!
Most are high priced junk, then there's that rare jewel.....

I once bought a brand new OTIS kit for $10 and boxes of 6.5x55 for $7.50 from the same place. You never know!

I have to admit... I have one in my location that I use often. They will let me order anything at about $30-50 OVER dealer cost.

They have treated me very well over the years.

No fire arm related, but the best score I ever got was a Victor Journeyman torch and a pair of regulators. Each regulator was labeled at $75 and the torch for $100. I asked to see the torch and he said he would sell all thre for $125. I paid the man. I guess he sat on em long enough that he was tired of looking at them.

If there ever was any doubt how stupid the Pawn industry is, just turn on any one of the stupid cable TV shows about it. Packed full of fools and morons buying and selling things, its embarrassing.

There are two pawn shops close to my work and I visit them weekly to look for deals. The first shop is filled with less than bright gun salesmen and are incredibly over priced. Shop number 2 is rather well versed in firearms and does FFL transfers for $10, which beats the hell out of anywhere else around here.

Haven't found a unicorn yet, but maybe one day.

My best pawn buy was Thompson Center Contender Pistol basket case(nothing was put together....springs and parts all over) for $150. I took a chance on all the parts being there and bought it.

Sure enough....everything was there after assembly....and an extra barrel I had not noticed.

There is only 1 pawn shop by my house that has an FFL. I occasionally went in there just to see if there was a "jewel", but gave up on the place after a while. Their used rifles and shotguns were usually listed at NEW prices or higher. At first I figured this was just a starting point for some haggling but after making a few offers on some rifles (not even low-ball) the guy got all pissed and offended and said the asking prices are all FIRM. I laughed and walked out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is only 1 pawn shop by my house that has an FFL. I occasionally went in there just to see if there was a "jewel", but gave up on the place after a while. Their used rifles and shotguns were usually listed at NEW prices or higher. At first I figured this was just a starting point for some haggling but after making a few offers on some rifles (not even low-ball) the guy got all pissed and offended and said the asking prices are all FIRM. I laughed and walked out </div></div>

I think the problem with pawn shops and a lot of gun dealers is they don't know or understand the market. They buy and sell everything based on the blue book. They think the prices in the blue book are set in stone and they are going to get that much or they won't sell, or even worse they saw some nimrod listed a Marlin Glenfield model 60 on Gun Broker for $300 so they are going to get that much too. There is a lot of good reference info in the blue book about production numbers, dates, serial numbers and variations on certain models of guns, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the prices they list.

Sometimes I find good deals in pawn shops. The only questions I ask are how much are they willing to come off the price for the object I'm buying. Asking a pawn shop cashier about a product is like asking a used car dealer if the car's any good. Of course they're gonna pump it up for ya. They
re all just lowlifes trying to sell someone else's shit.

The trick with pawn shops is to know what you are looking at when they don't...

Their reliance on Blue Book works both ways. Because BBOGV has only a 'little' smallprint on a lot of these guns. Add 15 percent for xxx or yyy. They don't usually understand the 'add 400 percent' for tiny little variants or features.

In the 1990's I bought an amazing, minty Smith Model 29... very early gun before the -1 modifications... for peanuts. They didn't recognize that it wasn't just a used gun. I have several other interesting guns from pawn shops w. similar stories. I just smiled, plunked down short $$$ and laughed all the way home.

If you are looking for a deer rifle or an AR... forget a Pawn shop. But there are gems to be found if you know what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I know this is an older post just found it had to add I once bought a brand new 870 wingmaster for the grand some od $125 dollars. The counterman said that it was considered a used gun and they sell them new at walmart for at the time $189. Didnt realize it was a wingmaster and not an exprss.

I haven't ever had any firearm deals but I did get a "good deal" on two knives. One was a new in box Ka-Bar 1211 with the leather sheath for $30. And the other was an Ontario Knife Company FF4 Navy Knife for $10 used and no sheath. I felt that I got 2 good deals on 2 decent pieces of hardware.

I was not talking shit. Simply talking about a conversation I had where the fellow in question was completely worng and had no interest in learning why. I think if you are going to try to make a living selling guns you owe it to the people who you might be putting in danger to at least know what caliber a rifle shoots.

No but if they dont know how a 93 Taurus's radio works it is not a danger to the customer. If someone buys that AK and sticks some 5.45 into the 5.56 chamber that may not be a good idea, I have never tried it but I would not recomend it. There is some responsibility required when dealing with weapons (my opinion). The "the masses (irresponsible morons who need cash not nice firearms) that enter their store" are going to listen to this guy and think he knows exactly what he is talking about. The store in question is the biggest gun/pawn shop in town and should be more careful with who they choose to repesent them. Again I understand its a pawn shop but safety is important at least to me.

Supporting argument of a pawn shop employee's knowledge.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rUMa8bFbqo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rUMa8bFbqo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Supporting argument of a pawn shop employee's knowledge.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rUMa8bFbqo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rUMa8bFbqo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I think that sums it up.

Bought my wife a Colt Python at a pawn shop for 150.00...
I thought I had just gotten a great deal from someone who didn't know what he had.
First six rounds were very hard to eject. When I checked the shells, I found one bulged. The gun had obviously been "overstressed".
I found another sucker and made a profit.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought my wife a Colt Python at a pawn shop for 150.00...
I thought I had just gotten a great deal from someone who didn't know what he had.
First six rounds were very hard to eject. When I checked the shells, I found one bulged. The gun had obviously been "overstressed".
I found another sucker and made a profit....... </div></div>

I hope you let that person know what was wrong with the gun. Your last line worries me and only further reinforces why I tend not to trust people. Pretty crappy to have to go through life expecting other people to screw you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought my wife a Colt Python at a pawn shop for 150.00...

I'll make sure to remember your screenname, and never do any transactions with you! Thats for damn sure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought my wife a Colt Python at a pawn shop for 150.00...

I'll make sure to remember your screenname, and never do any transactions with you! Thats for damn sure!</div></div>

no shit, glad to know you are such a standup guy

My pawn shop score
A few years ago I picked up a pre 64 model 70 African 458 win for $500 and that included 4 boxes of federal ammo and a set of brand new RCBS dies.

Bought an 044 Stihl with a nib chain and 100rds of 45 ammo for $90. Got a very nice 513t for $120. They couldn't have cared less about the rifle, because they were so excited about the value of the Unertl it was wearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought my wife a Colt Python at a pawn shop for 150.00...

I'll make sure to remember your screenname, and never do any transactions with you! Thats for damn sure!</div></div>

no shit, glad to know you are such a standup guy </div></div>

+1

Sure hope you sold it as a collectible only and let the new owner know what was wrong with it. If not maybe your next purchase should go ahead and blow up while you are shooting it. Pretty chicken shit thing to do if you did not fill the buyer in.

Pawn shops don't make their real $$$ selling things left on pawn, or bought outright. The real money there is in the interest charged on the pawned items. Once forfeited, the items can be sold for whatever, stick a high tag on it and see who will pay it. Someone always does.

Have a brother that made lots in the pawn business..... he is an insurance agent now... figures, it is just math.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought an 044 Stihl with a nib chain and 100rds of 45 ammo for $90. Got a very nice 513t for $120. They couldn't have cared less about the rifle, because they were so excited about the value of the Unertl it was wearing. </div></div>

If that 044 was in good shape, it was a steal.

hehe