• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PDA for LoadBase, FFS

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
I am trying to find a good PDA for running LB3 or FFS and am just wondering what you guys are using. I have read a couple of threads like this but everyone jumps in and says to get a recon or nomad, simply put the budget wont come close to either of these. I am looking for something with Bluetooth and I am leaning towards something like a Dell x51v or a HP Ipaq 211 (top choice). Do you guys have any other suggestions and know of a good place to get one other than eBay?

Re: PDA for LoadBase, FFS

On the FFS site there are recommendations for the supported PDA's

Pharos 565, picked up a new one on eghey for under 300. Has WiFi bt gps micro SD and other misc coolness. Oh and its a fully ruggedized unit.

I contacted FFS as they state on their site that this specific pda has reports of incompatiblity and pharos wouldn't loan a test unit so I offered mine. The reply I received was that since they posted that on their site they had evaluated the unit to work with delta 3 but the delta 5 they reccomend an 8-900 mghz processor which leaves the Nomad as the only option.

I'm curently running patagonia and will be getting delta3 next month.

Thanks for the info, I will have to see if I can find one. At the moment I am probably just going to run LB3 since it doesn't require as much processing power.

They are readily available I just entered "Pharos 565" into google and hit the shopping tab. Street price is a bit less than MSRP averaging around 465.00

I know you said you didnt want to go the Ebay route but honestly thats probably the best place to look may also try Amazon.

These are prety powerful programs so my one bit of advice is get the fastest processor you can as it will make a difference. PDA's with minimum requirements will work it just takes a long time to calculate.

I have been keeping a eye on ebay for a good deal. I am planning on getting something with 624mhz which is the highest you can go without getting a nomad so hopefully it should work just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pharos 565, picked up a new one on eghey for under 300. Has WiFi bt gps micro SD and other misc coolness. Oh and its a fully ruggedized unit.

</div></div>

This is what I use for Loadbase. Recommended by Gustavo.