• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PDQ* Will a "zero" value wind effect elevation?

aquinas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Il
*PDQ= Possible Dumb Question

In other words, lets say I'm shooting into a 10mph headwind. Wouldn't that slow the bullet down just a hair and show up as lost elevation? Or are bullets so aerodynamic that it doesn't matter?

Re: PDQ* Will a "zero" value wind effect elevation?

sometimes...........actual shooters discover stuff that ballistic programs just don't account for......like tailwinds on light bullets that just don't have enough ass, and thus'ly exhibit strikes left and right when the up & down are perfect.....of course this is all part of gaining good wind doping skills, but ......many times all things are not so equal in the real world.

Everything has an effect. The real question is whether the difference in elevation matters enough for the rifleman to make a correction at the rifle. What matters at 1575 doesn't always matter at 100.

While the bullet does not 'slow down', a headwind does increase drag, so yes, it will have an effect if the range is long enough. Rarely is a wind constant and directly head on. By my calculations, at 1000 yards with M118LR a 10 MPH pure headwind is worth about .05 Mil, which I can neither dial, hold, nor see in the results.

With my .308 an 175 smk's at 700 +, many times I have had to <span style="font-weight: bold">Add</span> for a tail wind and <span style="font-weight: bold">Subtract</span> for a head wind.

I have found it all depends on the lay of the land, and were the River of Wind is flowing/blowing the strongest along the bullets ark.

Schools, books an the internet are good teachers, but where your bullets impacted in your data book, is the final word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where your bullets impacted in your data book, is the final word.</div></div>How did you manage to hit your data book with that much of a headwind?
laugh.gif

I think the terrain would have alot to do with how it effects the bullet. even with the wind showing as a headwind or tailwind its possible it could have updrafts or downdrafts so that is what i try and look out for more than just which way its blowing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VSOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the terrain would have alot to do with how it effects the bullet. even with the wind showing as a headwind or tailwind its possible it could have updrafts or downdrafts so that is what i try and look out for more than just which way its blowing </div></div>Interesting point: Sometimes the wind at the gun means almost nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my .308 an 175 smk's at 700 +, many times I have had to <span style="font-weight: bold">Add</span> for a tail wind and <span style="font-weight: bold">Subtract</span> for a head wind.

</div></div>

UHHHHH...wouldn't you add (elevation) for a headwind and subtract for a tailwind? What am I missing here (besides a brain)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my .308 an 175 smk's at 700 +, many times I have had to <span style="font-weight: bold">Add</span> for a tail wind and <span style="font-weight: bold">Subtract</span> for a head wind.

</div></div>

UHHHHH...wouldn't you add (elevation) for a headwind and subtract for a tailwind? What am I missing here (besides a brain)? </div></div>

Depends on the lay of the land,... and were the River of wind is hitting the bullet along it's ark. You shoot long enough at different places, you'll see it as well.

Hard to learn on only 2-3 different ranges if their all flat, or the wind never changes from it's std direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VSOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the terrain would have alot to do with how it effects the bullet. even with the wind showing as a headwind or tailwind its possible it could have updrafts or downdrafts so that is what i try and look out for more than just which way its blowing </div></div>Interesting point: Sometimes the wind at the gun means almost nothing.</div></div>
or the wind at ground level.

I shoot long range on a flat level area on the river bottoms, it's great for getting dope, it gets boring if you're wishing for angle shooting. Best part out there is that the wind is well....difficult. I have shot in 15+mph headwinds and had to add 1moa @1K, 700 on in I don't worry about it just because i'm shooting a Leup Mk4 M3 and 1moa clicks mean that you're almost always a little high, or a little low. Haven't had a tailwind out there yet.

Branden

I've actually had to use less elevation @1000 yds.w/ a headwind due to lift.

Put a 10 mph headwind at 180 degrees in on JBM ballistics and you get a drop in POI and with a 10 mph wind at 0 degrees you get a rise in POI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Put a 10 mph headwind at 0 degrees in on JBM ballistics and you get a rise in POI and with a 10 mph wind at 180 degrees you can a drop in POI.</span> Its like a plane taking off into the wind, more lift. </div></div>

NS, the exact opposite is true:

head wind = POI down
tail wind = POI up

read the definitions on JBM:
0º = tail wind
180º = head wind

This is the same in all the ballistic programs I know (quite a few).

But of course the other effects of the wind blowing over terrain (with a vertical component), variable wind downrange, and changing bullet elevation can sometimes more than compensate for these relatively minor effects, as the others posters have pointed out.

Objects drop at a constant acceleration, regardless of speed.

If an environmental variable affects flight time, it also affects drop by precisely the same margin.

That's the entire story.

Greg