• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pelican 1750 & air travel

Qld4390

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2007
Raleigh, NC
OK, so here's the deal. End of this week I'm taking a domestic flight from NC to WI for a well deserved vacation. I would like to take my rig with me, but am having a tough time getting solid answers on my questions. For starters I'll be traveling on a Delta flight. I've called their service reps (useless by the way) and checked their website as well. Also searched the interweb to get some answers.

1 - Has anyone who travels with their rifles been hit with an over-sized luggage fee? Specifically while traveling with the Pelican 1750. I know the dimensions are over the 62" max that airlines will take, but can not find anyone who's been hit with the fee's. Which in case you're wondering are $175 each way ($350 total)

2 - How about the overweight luggage fee? I know the limit is 50lbs, but I don't have a scale. I can tell you though, that the case is heavy. Loaded with dragbag, rifle, 240 rounds (200 subsonics 40 Federal GMM), suppressor, and some cleaning equipment. If need be, I can split the rifle and gear into separate bags for check-in.

Any info you guys may be able to give from experience would be appreciated.

Re: Pelican 1750 & air travel

Im beleive you can not have ammo in the same container as your rifle.

Flying alaska airlines:

Ammo must be in a "container" designed to hold ammo (fiber plastic or metal etc). It can be in the same case as the rifle as long as the magazine and the chamber are not loaded.

bring TWO LOCKS!!!! one for each end of the rifle case. I've seen many people get turned away because they only had one lock in the center. This doesn't meet TSA standards apparently.

I haven't heard of anyone getting charged more for oversized cases as long as they were under 50lbs.

I've flown several airlines using a 1720, loaded mags, mags and arms in the same case with no problems. As long as you declare each firearm individually, I find it easiest just to get to the desk and say "Can I also get [X number] of firearm tags?"

At the same time you'll be at their baggage scale. Otherwise I'm sure you or one of your friends has a bathroom scale.

Be prepared to wait on the other side, most of the time one of the baggage handlers walks it around and checks your ID before giving it back.

Your question has pretty much been answered, however I do have first hand *Recent* experience with Delta. It's essentially the same as what TrooperBrian said.

I put my POF, Walther P99, and 200 rounds in a 1750 and shipped it home when I went on leave (I flew through Delta as well). I used locks at both ends. Leaving Seattle I wasn't charged with any fee, but on the return flight I was charged with a $50 dollar fee because it was a "second bag". I don't know why I wasn't charged on the initial flight, but you shouldn't be charged an oversized fee for it.

With this being said, we all know what it says in the rule book and what they enforce can be two totally different things. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

1. Flown alot with my Starlight which is the same size with no problems. Never been asked for an oversize charge. Some advice? DON'T ask them about it either! They will take your money if you offer it to them.

2. They will nail you for overweight. As long as the ammo is in factory boxes or something similar it can be put in your luggage or in the Pelican. Just put as much as you can in the Pelican and anything over put in your suitcase.

Go to Walmart or the like and get a sert of 4 locks that are all keyed the same. They sell them like that. Then use those to lock the case. Also stay with the case until it's locked. Also if traveling with a can make sure to have your paperwork with you.

Allowed 11 pounds of ammo in factory boxes, which can be placed in the pelican. Watch your weight as this is where they will tag you for extra fees. Bring your own/non-tsa locks. Most times I use a Porter and for the tip they usually drag you to the front of the line due to your special cargo.

Forgot that point. Only 11 pounds of ammo is allowed per traveler. I usually ship mine ahead of time to matches.

As has been said total weight of the luggage will earn a charge every time....even 51 pounds...don't ask how I know.

Conversely after flying with ammo and guns regularly for the last 7 years I have never had an issue made concerning ammo weight. Usually the subject doesn't come up but when it has I have been asked how much ammo I have, the correct reply "under 11 pounds". The desk folks don't have any clue what it weighs so if you wind up at 12-13 pounds it shouldn't be a problem.

Never been hit by an oversize or overweight fee, however I know a 1750 IS oversize and it's close to the weight limit depending on how I load it.

I do get hit by the second bag fee every time. That's the expensive part.

While the 1750 maybe oversized, they classify it as sporting goods type of equipment, so it gets a pass on that sizing.

This doesn't answer your question, I believe others have done that already. However, I do want to put in a plug for Southwest Airlines. They were a dream to fly with with gun cases and such and I've heard several others say the same thing.

I had a FREE ticket to use on Alaska Air but by the time I paid the luggage fees and taxes to and from a match, it was basically (within $50) to just pay for a SW Air ticket and get some better flight options.

When you can, fly Southwest!!

ad_bff_170x194.gif

Good point, but DONT lock the case.. They will cut your lock to take a peek at your prize possession.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flying alaska airlines:

Ammo must be in a "container" designed to hold ammo (fiber plastic or metal etc). It can be in the same case as the rifle as long as the magazine and the chamber are not loaded.

bring TWO LOCKS!!!! one for each end of the rifle case. I've seen many people get turned away because they only had one lock in the center. This doesn't meet TSA standards apparently.

I haven't heard of anyone getting charged more for oversized cases as long as they were under 50lbs.

</div></div>

Thanks guys. Picked up a 4 locks just in case (2 on the case, 2 in reserve). I found a scale at work, so I'll bring the case in tomorrow and give it a weigh.

NOt sure about the rest but I know they will pop you for an over weight charge if your bag is over 50lbs, count on that. It is sitting on the scale. I fly tons (I made Gold on US Air in 4 months this yr) Traveling with documents (paper is heavy) I've had to shift things around between bags to get a bag below 50#.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point, but DONT lock the case.. They will cut your lock to take a peek at your prize possession.
</div></div>

WRONG!

Lock the case, then unlock it when asked, then relock it. The rules are that they have to inspect the case with you there or within eyesight at least and then you are allowed to relock your case with your own NON-TSA LOCKS.

I had a local shop fabricate a (navy blue) nylon zippered cover for my pelican case. That way, once cleared at the check in counter, it blended in with other luggage. It helped to eliminate a lot of undue attention that an uncovered case can sometimes bring...

I think a lot of the experience depends on where you fly out of. I watched a fellow sit at the ticket counter for 45 minutes while the Delta rep tried to figure out 'the proper procedures' on how to check in 'that type of weapon'. It appeared to be for a hunting expedition, as he had stickers on the case from hunting guides and safaris, and a passport in his hands. It was one of those silver/black long cases you'd find at Cabela's or the other big box stores. This was at EWR (Newark, NJ).

Always thought you were a blow hard Kevin and your bassoon proves it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmussack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bassoon.jpg
</div></div>

Now that's a classic, and a great idea

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point, but DONT lock the case.. They will cut your lock to take a peek at your prize possession. </div></div>

Don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

<span style="font-weight: bold">49 CFR Specifically states:</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sec. 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally
or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a
firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the
passenger retains the key or combination.</span></span>
</div></div>

It is recommended that you stay in the baggage check area until your baggage clears TSA screening, but at some ariports that happens elsewhere. If TSA needs access to your bags they will make an effort to contact you. I have my phone number on a tag and also painted on the side of the case. IF TSA is unable to make contact with you they will cut the locks to open the case. If you don't have a way to re-secure the case, then it will not be placed on the aircraft. I suggest that you carry a spare set of locks. You can either include them IN the case so that TSA can re-lock it without you present or carry them with you, but if they weren't able to get ahold of you BEFORE they busted the locks, it's unlikely that they will get ahold of you after.

It's pretty clear in the Code of Federal Regulations that YOU are the only one to retain the key or combination for the case. However you will occasionally get a TSA supervisor who has the "I AM THE LAW" attitude. I have had only one of those. In the end it IS their choice if the case is allowed through screening. DO NOT get into a dick measuring contest with TSA. They may be wrong, but you will still loose. Simply write down the name of the supervisor, because he just took personal ownership of the problem. I believe in Karma, and I did get satisfaction later that day when the Supervisor realized I was flying under official status. His attitude pulled a 180.

As far as camouflaging the case to look like something else....

I don't feel it will help and may actually hurt. You see criminals are not incredibly intelligent, but they aren't stupid either. They steal stuff they can quickly turn around for cash or drugs. Cameras, jewelry, golf clubs, etc. This stuff comes up missing in airports on a daily basis. No one bats and eye. They will tell you to file your claim and send you home. Cameras and golf clubs are rarely used to murder scores of people. It's not a high priority for airport security. However a tactical rifle and a hundred rounds of ammo....that may cause some interest. It may actually cause a lock down in some airports. Criminals know this. Supervisors know this. On top of that, while WE know that our rifles are worth a LOT of money, they aren't worth much on the street. Stolen firearms are very traceable. A bolt action isn't going to be much use in robbing a liquor store or protecting a crack house.

Quick money is all they are after. While you can pawn a firearm, it results in a serial number trace. Pawning a set of golf clubs or a musical instrument is much easier.

As a result, I keep my gun case looking like a gun case. On top of that, SO MANY firearms pass through large airports that unless they handler actually took the time to read what was painted on the case above, he would assume it's a rifle. Every time I have walked to the check counter with my case, the attendant has already had a firearms declaration ready for me. This is from just seeing me wheeling it through the line with none of the decals or markings visible (I strap my duffel to it for easy transport up to that point).

If it makes you feel better, then color the case however you want. I just don't feel it's helping much. Those that know about rifles and cases know what you have. Those that don't are clueless no matter what you put on there.

I too include extra locks in the case, good point LW-USMC.

Also, I print the rules and regulations and carry them with me when flying. Just in case I get a TSA Commando that "knows the rules", I can nicely ask for their supervisor and provide a copy of the real rules for the 3 of us to go over together.

I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet, but don't think for a second that I'm going to let some TSA douche tell me what he thinks is ok for him to do with my very expensive precision rifle and optic. I'm ok with the rules, as long as both sides of the velvet rope are following them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point, but DONT lock the case.. They will cut your lock to take a peek at your prize possession.
</div></div>

WRONG!

Lock the case, then unlock it when asked, then relock it. The rules are that they have to inspect the case with you there or within eyesight at least and then you are allowed to relock your case with your own NON-TSA LOCKS.</div></div>

Agreed. As stated above, use locks that are keyed alike, as many locking lugs as your case provides. That ensures that you and ONLY you can open the case point to point.

Looks like my case is overweight by about 15 pounds. I'll split the ammo and cleaning equipment from the rifle and ship that UPS tonight. It should arrive the day after I do, so no loss in shooting time there. Having split things up it will put me 5 pounds under the limit, which I assume is a good safety buffer just in case my scale, or theirs is off by a bit.