• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican Cases vs Plano Cases

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
I have never put my hands on either one of these. I'm getting the impression (i may be wrong) that Plano hard cases are not as rigid/thick as the Pelican cases.

Is this the case?

The ones that i am considering is the

Pelican Storm iM3300 Rifle Case

Plano All Weather Rifle Cases (108190)

For those of you that have had both or put hands on both cases, I'd appreciate some input on the pros/cons of both

Thanks

Re: Pelican Cases vs Plano Cases

For plano, I've only handled the cheaper cases. The higher end one looks fine but you can always trust a pelican case. Pelican just tends to be more expensive. I haven't had any issues with cheaper cases so if you want to save money go with the plano, if you want a bombproof case, go with pelican. If you expect the case to take a lot of abuse I would go with the pelican case.

Sure does!

My Pelican case rides in the back of my truck right next to my tool boxes and other crap that's in there. It takes a lot of knocks too, and has never failed.
It’s well worth investing in a Pelican case or similar quality to protect your rifle.

I've owned, pelican, otter, and plano cases. By far the nicest have been the Pelicans. I've literally have seen them dropped down the side of a cliff tumbling and hitting rocks on the way down and survive.

The two cases you listed have about the same durability in the case itself, but the latches on the pelican feel more secure and durable. The plano latches feel somewhat cheap.

thanks..i was getting that impression and this confirms it. I want a solid case for any trips that might also include air travel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the trunk of your car to and from the range, It doesn't matter. If you do any REAL traveling, Pelican is your friend.</div></div>

this...

Hardigg Storm iM3300 Rifle Case, only hard roller to consider. Period!

• Haha
Reactions: Genesis1984

I shipped a complete rifle to Cali in a Plano and it was broken when it got there. The contents was fine but the case is trash.

Food for thought...

I have laid eyes and hands on the newer Plano AW series cases and they are leaps and bounds above their usual discount store (Wally World special) series of plastic cases by far. However, even with the additional strength of materials/construction/design, and features like water/weather proofing, etc., they pale in comparison to the Pelican/Hardigg-Storm cases that I have traveled all over the world with and never missed a beat. There is no comparison with the Pelican/Hardigg-Storm cases until you get into some of the custom stuff at a considerably higher price.

If you want rugged reliability in a case that will be traveling by air anywhere in the world that you don't want to be sitting in your seat worrying about your gear and the airline luggage monkeys destroying it...GO WITH THE PELICAN/STORM cases and don't look back.

Now, with that said, the cons are basically the same for all larger, airline approved travel vaults/cases...they are heavy as hell (the case you are looking at weight just under 25lbs if memory serves for the empty case with the foam) and can be a real PITA to lug around. Add a 15lb (give or take) rifle, plus any other gear, etc., and you can quickly have a beast of luggage to tote around (still probably 1/2 the weight of the wife's suitcase though)!
wink.gif
I just think of it as insurance though...a little wear and tear on the old back is a small price to pay for knowing my rifles/equipment will get to where they are going in one piece every time.

I bought a Plano case for $30 on black Friday, and it is a good as Pelican.. For daily use , or in your trunk perfect hard case. But they selling for $110 now
frown.gif

I've had both. Pelican cases are definitely more durable and well constructed, but pricey.

I've got an all weather and can tell you that they are heavy. I like the Pelican cases better. They both do the same thing but overall the Planos are bulkier.

I have a plano pillar lock, and i would not trust it to an airline

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A MAGYAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Plano case for $30 on black Friday, and it is a good as Pelican.. For daily use , or in your trunk perfect hard case. But they selling for $110 now
frown.gif
</div></div>

I got two of these when they were on sale, but there's no way I would pay $110 for one.

They make good traveling cases to and from the range but I wouldn't trust USPS or the airlines with it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shipped a complete rifle to Cali in a Plano and it was broken when it got there. The contents was fine but the case is trash.

Food for thought... </div></div>

I had UPS bust both ends out of the top of the line Plano with a $3000 rifle in it.

They are not the same material by a long shot.

The Hardigg Storm legacy cases (regardless of the fact that it says Pelican Storm on it) are far superior to the Pelican legacy cases.

Foam is essential as well. PE foam is far superior to the standard foam, and really not much different in price.

This place will sell you the case with about any type of foam you want in it, along with extra inserts, so you can configure the case to work with a variety of weapons systems.

http://www.caseclub.com/

And a guide to the different foams - get PE!!!

http://www.custom-foam-inserts.com/foam-types.htm

Pelican is the only way to roll.

I have my high end photography equipment in a 1550, its been thru hell and back about 3 times. My equipent has always been well protected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heydavemd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have them both, and Pelican Storm wins out by a mile. </div></div>

X 2 for Storm. Nice case...bought my first one for my .375 CT. I'm going to pick up 2 more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hardigg Storm iM3300 Rifle Case, only hard roller to consider. Period!</div></div>

+1 BTW they are now owned by Peli

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Special Delivery said:
Hardigg Storm iM3300 Rifle Case, only hard roller to consider. Period!</div></div>

+2

Pelican or Storm are really the only choices worth considering.
IF you want an aluminum, the Cabelas Bulletproof models are top notch as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pelican or Storm are really the only choices worth considering.
</div></div>

I would disagree in that Starlight cases are equally as tough and a good choice. I have been flying to matches with mine since 2004 and never had anything damaged. The outside of the case has many battle marks from baggage handlers and I even watched them drop the case 3 feet down onto the concrete and when I got the rifle out to check zero there was no shift. `

Here's some pics of my case i took a few years back for a similar conversation to show some of the abuse it has taken. It's taken more since.
P1010069.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010067.jpg

One of the "fins" on the hinge broke but the hinge is still in working condition.
P1010070.jpg

I haven't had the starlight or plano cases but both the Pelican and storm are very nice. Also if I had to choose the storm would be my choice between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't had the starlight or plano cases but both the Pelican and storm are very nice. Also if I had to choose the storm would be my choice between the two. </div></div>

Storm over pelican Rthur, Why's that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't had the starlight or plano cases but both the Pelican and storm are very nice. Also if I had to choose the storm would be my choice between the two. </div></div>

Storm over pelican Rthur, Why's that? </div></div>

More latches, BETTER latches, better handles, way better wheels, and a tad more interior room in the same class size of case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pelican or Storm are really the only choices worth considering.
</div></div>

I would disagree in that Starlight cases are equally as tough and a good choice. I have been flying to matches with mine since 2004 and never had anything damaged. The outside of the case has many battle marks from baggage handlers and I even watched them drop the case 3 feet down onto the concrete and when I got the rifle out to check zero there was no shift. `

Here's some pics of my case i took a few years back for a similar conversation to show some of the abuse it has taken. It's taken more since.
P1010069.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010067.jpg

One of the "fins" on the hinge broke but the hinge is still in working condition.
P1010070.jpg
</div></div>

yup, i forgot about the starlights. They also have a reputation for being very sturdy. I myself have a Cabelas Bulletproof, its been handled by Airlines, UPS, and FedEx over 20 times and does the job well. UPS put a dent in the aluminum, but it is still gtg.