• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

People are going to freeze to death......

I thought all that used oil is sold to Chinese transport ships and they burn it for fuel. They may wait until they are outside US territorial waters however.. lol.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I've seen some interesting passive solar and passive geothermal setups that supposedly worked very well. Obviously the solar for heating and geothermal for cooling.

1669938877217.png

I can almost feel the heat Merry Christmas

I may know of a waste oil dripper setup using steel brake line run into a woodstove in a shop. Start on wood and once hot set the dripper to pretty much maintain the flame with no additional wood needed for a long time.

An industrious man could easily do the same.

I may know of a waste oil dripper setup using steel brake line run into a woodstove in a shop. Start on wood and once hot set the dripper to pretty much maintain the flame with no additional wood needed for a long time.

I might be looking at that very same setup while incorporating a heat exchanger.

Reactions: Lawless
Waste oil = clean oil + dirt & a little misc chemicals such as mild acid byproducts. It all burns just ensure good ventilation.
Look up oil burner heaters/ kerosene heaters.

Key is great ventilation and having an alarm for more than just CO.

That's really too bad. Glad the son is alright but how foolish to die over some cords of wood. Strange times indeed. I used to cut six cords or more for my winter heat. I found four cords for a friend's Mom this past spring. The area a cord of firewood cost $250- over $300. I lucked out and found it for $180 a cord (rounds). The guy delivered it with his son and he dropped off slightly more than four cords just to be on the safe side. There's still honest people out there.

People get killed for the most stupid stuff. A month or so ago, not far from where that original story happened, but still in the "greater KC metro area" a guy got killed over $25 in weed. Killed a guy over $25 in pot, the next month Missouri votes it legal. People doing stupid things all the time, you just never know.

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot
And in California, they want to tax the Sun.
Recent modification to the rules & regs about home solar power had something in the language that was headed for taxing the solar power obtained from light falling on the solar panels. "Comrade, you have exceeded your photon allotment for this tax period, penalties and fees will assign..."
Lots of people fought that part and won it's removal, but it is clear what .gov will do to home solar power owners in the future.

CA, go figure. Keep in mind that SOB out there wants to be pres, not like what the people think mean one single thing. Read a real interesting article yesterday on that, but will save it for another thread.

This is the most common "home made" design I have seen, "drip" heaters. Generally you need to get the area where the oil will "drip" very hot so it will flash when it hits, then pump in air to get the flame really going. Oddly enough oil really does not want to burn, if you don't believe me try it, take a quart pour it in a soup can and try to light it on fire....it just does not want to catch, you can say the same with diesel, it will burn, but not a WOOSH like gas.

Most of the designs use a stainless "pan" for the oil to drip into and fire, it is quite hot when you pump air into it.....that as I understand things is really a key to it, you need to pump in the air for a "good burn"

People get killed for the most stupid stuff. A month or so ago, not far from where that original story happened, but still in the "greater KC metro area" a guy got killed over $25 in weed. Killed a guy over $25 in pot, the next month Missouri votes it legal. People doing stupid things all the time, you just never know.
Yeah I know that's nothing new. I've seen people get dumped for stupid stuff over my lifetime.

Which international organization will be reporting all the death/injuries of people who were forced to turn to alternative heating sources, etc. due to poor planning of their central governments, EU, California, etc.?

Reactions: tomcatmv
i have a planar diesel air heater at the cabin. 8kw. it's the expensive domestic version but it may make more sense to buy 2 of the cheap chinese versions.

there are some really cool videos out there about people making diesel from waste plastic too. essentially just a moonshine still fed plastic. boil the plastic in a tank without oxygen (using wood fire or whatever) and then run the fumes through cooling coils to condense it to liquid that drops into a tank. voila' free diesel

my parents heated with kerosene heaters in the 80s. they are cheap and put off a ton of heat and even though we didn't have a carbon monoxide problem, they do put something in the air that bothered my throat/lungs after a while. i wouldn't use them unless i had no other choice

propane is good too but creates a ton of moisture. prob not an issue in a huge metal garage with ventilation, and i keep a buddy heater and propane for emergencies, but definitely wouldn't run it all the time.

wood is the way to go around here

Reactions: xsn10s
Did you catch he is in the UK, I am not. As you are talking about people doing illegal things I am guessing you are also in the UK.....or you just don't know how to listen to a video, and that would make you glow quite bright. Sorry your .gov wants people to freeze.

One thing for certain.
All you motherfuckers glow.
Some of us have extremely good memory, besides being world class puzzle masters.

At this point only the absolute dumbest of us have a glowtugger inside our circle.