• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Petition to Remington - Produce 260 Brass

LRShooter101

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2013
Southern, IN
This is probably like Don Quixote charging a windmill, but as they say, the worst thing they can do is say no.

I am going to be hitting some of the more popular long range shooting sites starting an "online petition" asking Remington to look at their lack of support for the .260, and to ask them to do whatever they can to increase their support. See below:

"We the undersigned shooters are respectfully asking Remington to reconsider their current lack of support for the Remington .260 cartridge. A review of many long range shooting applications will show the popularity and success of the cartridge. However even with this popularity and success Remington continues to show a lack of support for it, to include:
- Very limited current factory rifle models that are suitable for long range shooting applications chambered in .260.
- No current .260 factory ammunition suitable for long range shooting applications.
- Very limited, or no availability, of reloading components for the .260 such as brass.
With thousands of current long range shooters already using the Remington .260, and thousands of potential new shooters looking to start using it, it is extremely important for Remington to start fully supporting the cartridge with their very name on it, if there is going to be any long term viability for the cartridge. We the understand are once again asking Remington to increase their support for the .260 in order for it to remain an option for both current and future shooters. Thank You."

I am also going to draft a very detailed letter to send in showing the performance and popularity of the round, the lack of factory offerings, etc.

If you agree with this, PLEASE respond below.

Thanks!

I agree and also think they should be supporting the 6.5 Creedmore, and/or 6.5x47 Lapua.

Remington just introduced two rifles in 260 with the twist rate they should have had all along. They are listening. I'm sure this is their attempt to test the waters for the round and make the decision of whether or not it's cost effective for them to continue with it.

As for the brass, why not just buy lapua? It's readily available.

There are a lot of chambers won't accept Lapua brass without neck turning. I honestly don't know if mine will, never asked the smith since I have plenty of Remington brass.

A .298 neck works great with Lapua brass.

As for RP 260 brass, I'm sure its a limited run item like Win 284 is and let's be honest, the demand is WAY less than other calibers they make in components or loaded ammo.

I'm in. I love the cartridge, and although Lapua makes great brass, it would be nice to have Remington show more support for a cartridge that has their name on it. If it were an obscure cartridge that few people used, that would be different, however this cartridge is having quite a resurgence in popularity.

Remington, PLEASE produce more 260 Remington brass.

Currently, the easiest way for me to get reasonably priced brass is to size down Winchester 7mm-08 brass. Sizing it down is simple with no attendant neck turning to get rid of donuts.

Currently, the easiest way for me to get reasonably priced brass is to size down Winchester 7mm-08 brass. Sizing it down is simple with no attendant neck turning to get rid of donuts.

Where does a fellow go to buy Win 7mm08 brass?

If Remington would just make an SPS varmint in .260 with 1/8 twist they'd sell like hotcakes.
It's a no brainer...

Thanks to everyone for your feedback & support.

I am bit surprised that there are not more responses given the large number of folks shooting a .260, and the frequent comments about the lack of support from Remington. That being the case, anything is better than nothing.

In terms of the Remington Brass,
- COST, is the big one for me! I have a problem shooting a match where I could be forced to leave a couple of hundred of dollars worth of Lapua brass on the ground, versus leaving Remington which runs close to half the cost.
- Sizing Up or Down Donor Brass, I am not opposed to it, but it is an additional amount of work, and if you have to be very careful that you do not end up with the "Dreaded Donut". Finding donor brass is also not always easy.

In terms of the other Remington support issues:
- Rifles, it never stops blowing my mind that they will not offer rifles in a cartridge that carries their name and is very successful. It further blows my mind that their competition is offering rifles in .260 REMINGTON!
- Ammo, one of the most common complaints that I hear against the .260 is the lack of a reasonably priced quality factory load. Plenty of shooters that went with a 6.5 Creedmoor for that very reason.

I can appreciate that any .260 products will not be flying off the shelves at the rate that .308 products will, but the fact that there is no Remington Brass available anywhere, just goes to show that there is actually a demand. I am also sure if you look at what other manufacturers are selling in terms of the .260, there is a chunk of money there that Remington is leaving on the table.

I believe that my first .260 build was a prime of example of why we are here. I asked a local gunsmith to build me a target/precision .260 rifle, and he looked at me like I was smoking Crack. He spent the next 15 minutes trying to talk me out of it, and when he finally agreed to do it, said he would return the money I spent on the build if I showed back up with a 1st place finish. His knowledge of the .260 was like most other shooters outside of competitive long range shooting, that caliber serves no purpose, its track record sucks, there is little out there to choose from, why would anyone want one? Needless to say his attitude changed when I proceeded to walk back into his shop on a monthly basis over the next 3 months with a number of top 3 finishes. He did offer me my money back, however I told him he could keep it if he would quit trash talking the .260! Whether it was Sherri Gallagher's win at Camp Perry with a .260, the performance of many .260s in a number of tactical matches like the PRS, or the use by many long range hunters, the reality is the .260 has proven itself very well over the last 3-5 years.

Now if we can just get Remington to recognize that fact!

Please spread the word, and keep it coming!

I could use a few hundred cases so I don't always have to round up my brass when it's really not feasible. Dropping the coin on Lapua or Nosler hurts more when you have to leave it behind or lose it...

I could use a few hundred cases so I don't always have to round up my brass when it's really not feasible. Dropping the coin on Lapua or Nosler hurts more when you have to leave it behind or lose it...

Same here, and my .260 is a DPMS gas gun, i loose a bit of brass every match

Sign me up. I just got my .260 last week, however I have been accumulating reloading components for the past 7-8 months. I got everything that was hard to find, H4350, Berger Hybrids, 205M primers these were all items that have pretty much been impossible to find until the past 2 months or so. I bought Lapua brass because of its inherent quality and to use when I am looking for every bit of accuracy I can find. However for the majority of my shooting, and varmint hunting I wanted to use Rem brass because of the lower cost. In that 7-8 month period, I have not been able to pick up a single piece of new Rem .260 brass. I bought a few hundred once fired because that was my only option, and even then that was hard to find, and cost me the same as new rem 260 brass. So yeah, having the namesake of the cartridge actually produce reasonably priced and decent quality brass sure would be nice.
I have no skin in the game with their rifles, but would be all over getting Beretta to start importing more of the Tikka T3 lines (i.e. varmint) in .260... but that's a whole different subject.

Sign me up. I just got my .260 last week, however I have been accumulating reloading components for the past 7-8 months. I got everything that was hard to find, H4350, Berger Hybrids, 205M primers these were all items that have pretty much been impossible to find until the past 2 months or so. I bought Lapua brass because of its inherent quality and to use when I am looking for every bit of accuracy I can find. However for the majority of my shooting, and varmint hunting I wanted to use Rem brass because of the lower cost. In that 7-8 month period, I have not been able to pick up a single piece of new Rem .260 brass. I bought a few hundred once fired because that was my only option, and even then that was hard to find, and cost me the same as new rem 260 brass. So yeah, having the namesake of the cartridge actually produce reasonably priced and decent quality brass sure would be nice.
I have no skin in the game with their rifles, but would be all over getting Beretta to start importing more of the Tikka T3 lines (i.e. varmint) in .260... but that's a whole different subject.

Hope you got 210M primers as the 260 uses Large Rifle Primers and 205M are small rifle. Just a heads up.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

Hope you got 210M primers as the 260 uses Large Rifle Primers and 205M are small rifle. Just a heads up.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

Haha, that explains the "loose" primer pockets then huh? Yeah typo there. I got the 210M for the .260, but did finally get 205m's for my .223.

Excellent! I'll look for it next time I'm there ~3-4 years ago.

My bad, you asked where I located it, not when. I was in error for providing information that you didn't request.

Of course, if you were looking for some, you could always call Fisherman's Marine, and ask if they had any in stock. They used to keep a fairly good stock of brass. Again, sorry for providing unrequested information.

Lapua brass is better and it is really a lot cheaper too when you factor in the lifetime. Remington has given their customers a big f.u., why bother.

i am a fan of remington but they drive me crazy,

they finally come out with a 260, and its a 1:9 twist, no...
the finally offer a nice little .223 bolt gun in the form of the sps tac aac, and its a 1:9... no
they only offer two barrel contours, hunting and varmint... really.

as much as i prefer remington over savage, savages model 12 long range precision is light years ahead of anything remington has and i think my next center fire is going to be a savage.

dont even get me started on the 2010 and the psr, congrats remington you have produced a slightly modifed deer rifle and dropped it into a chasis and are selling it for more than a brand new chevy LSA supercharged 556 hp crate engine.

they are helpless at this point

Necking down Win 7-08 is my preference. My experience suggests that the Win brass goes longer without split necks or loose primer pockets.

As for it being extra work to neck it down; maybe, maybe not.

I think it's a good practice to F/L size all new brass prior to its first loading after I had an issue with unresized new Rem .308 brass that wouldn't chamber in a 'loaded' M1A at a match 3hrs from my home.

Trust, but also verify.

Running 7-08 through a 260 F/L die is very little different from running .260 brass through a .260 F/L die.

Greg

Last edited:
Love my newly built 260! (DIY Savage) Components have been a pain, even down to the dies! I've actually have not used any 260 brass yet. I've been necking up Win 243 brass since it was all that was available. On 3rd firing without issue at 43.2 gr of H4350 pushing 140 Nosler CC. Can not find any high BC bullets locally and the 130 Berger Hunting that I would like to use this fall are impossible to find anywhere.

LOVE my 260, minimal recoil, 8 mils to 1k, what's not to like! Except the lack of components! Next build will probably be a 243 or 6 Creedmore. The 6mm high BC bullets are always on the shevles here.

Necking down Win 7-08 is my preference. My experience suggests that the Win brass goes longer without split necks or loose primer pockets.

As for it being extra work to neck it down; maybe, maybe not.

I think it's a good practice to F/L size all new brass prior to its first loading after I had an issue with unresized new Rem .308 brass that wouldn't chamber in a 'loaded' M1A at a match 3hrs from my home.

Trust, but also verify.

Running 7-08 through a 260 F/L die is very little different from running .260 brass through a .260 F/L die.

Greg

As you say, nothing wrong at all necking down 7mm08 brass for use in the 260.

Except, 7mm08 brass is no more available than 260 brass!

Remington bring us a 8 twist 260 Varmint!
Considering the popularity .223 and the fact that their sps tactical is still a 1:9. An 8 twist .260 will NEVER, happen.

still dont know why 700p's dont have m24 contour barrels

Remington's 2014 260 offerings (SPS Sporter and VTR) are 1:8.

As for M24 barrels...what benefit do they provide over a Rem Varmint to the vast majority of 700 buyers, relative to the weight penalty?

Considering the popularity .223 and the fact that their sps tactical is still a 1:9. An 8 twist .260 will NEVER, happen.

still dont know why 700p's dont have m24 contour barrels

1:8 twist 260's were announced at this years shot show, but the line didn't include a varmint model...

Since were all wishing here I would also like to see a 1:8 twist 243 varmint, a 223 varmint with a twist somewhere between 1:7 and 1:8... if they have left over 1:9's varmint/tactical/pss/etc contours add that to the 22-250 line up... but a 1:8 would be preferred.

See a pattern here??? Varmint contour barrels... sporters get no love from me, nor do I plan to purchase any after seeing how quickly they print all over the target if firing faster than 1 round ever 7 minutes...

Last edited:
Remington's 2014 260 offerings (SPS Sporter and VTR) are 1:8.

As for M24 barrels...what benefit do they provide over a Rem Varmint to the vast majority of 700 buyers, relative to the weight penalty?

and they serve pretty much no use to for the majority of people who have been asking for a 260 for years, hunters love them some 243 and 270, they are not the ones asking for 260's

in regards to the m24 barrels... a barrel that will group more consistantly. im not asking for a spiral fluted MTU, or a Bartlien number 7 with dimples, im jusk asking them to run there barrel machine for an extra couple hourse when they are turning out 2010 barrels so that i dont have to drop 300 dollars for a krieger and another 200 to have it chambered and dropped in.

they have the contour, theres no reason not to offer it,

The best way to get someone to build something is to get enough orders for said something.

People want to buy a cheap car that gets 40 something miles to the gallon, Honda makes the CRX, Ford makes the Fiesta, etc. they only quit making things when folks stop buying them.

Ok,..lets try and tackle this another way?

Any retailers/distributors on the hide want .260 premium unfired new manufacture brass??

If the volume is there then I will get it made.

We are talking minimum run of at least 1 million cases to make this viable.

Anyone??????

Good idea. I've been looking at building two .260s, so the wife and I will have the same dope.

1911fan

I once purchased two same-spec'd 28" .260 barrels from the same production run. They were very close, but not identical. Their preferred loads differed by .2gr H-4350 (not a world of difference, but enough to affect grouping at 1Kyd).

Also, POI is not just a product of the barrel, there are other factors involved. One of them is the shooter's physical stature (different recoil characteristics can alter POI). I am 6' 5" tall and nearly exactly 200lb, my shooting partner was considerably shorter and lighter. Our dope differed by over 1 MOA (the difference between an 'X' and a 9) at 1Kyd.

Simply put, even the same shooter will have varying results with two 'identical' rifles, and those variances will increase when other shooters are added to the mix, and even as bore friction alters over round counts due to bore surface condition.

These are only some of the major factors involved, and there are others that are smaller and cannot be resolved by either shooter or gunsmith. I'm not trying to shoot down the premise, I'm just trying to educate about why genuinely 'identical' rifles seldom exist in reality.

Greg

Last edited:
As you say, nothing wrong at all necking down 7mm08 brass for use in the 260.

Except, 7mm08 brass is no more available than 260 brass!

Yes, absolutely correct. My experience dates from Pre-SAFE Act, before everything froze up across the board around here, and other states were back flipping through their own assholes trying to mimic NY.

Greg

Yes, absolutely correct. My experience dates from Pre-SAFE Act, before everything froze up across the board around here, and other states were back flipping through their own assholes trying to mimic NY.

Greg

Gents,..lets get back on track. How do we reslove the lack of available factory 260 brass???

I'd rather have winchester brass. But Remington wouldn't be bad.

Right now I use winchester 308 and lapua brass.

Don't care about factory ammo.

Any retailers/distributors on the hide want .260 premium unfired new manufacture brass??

Anyone??????

That sounds like problem solved, if there is enough interest.

Anyone??????

It depends on exactly how "premium" we're talking here. I could be mistaken, but it seems most people here are looking for a less-expensive alternative to Lapua brass. If you can hit a sweet spot of quality brass (reloadable 10+ times without loose primer pockets) at a lower cost than Lapua, you could be on to something.

It depends on exactly how "premium" we're talking here. I could be mistaken, but it seems most people here are looking for a less-expensive alternative to Lapua brass. If you can hit a sweet spot of quality brass (reloadable 10+ times without loose primer pockets) at a lower cost than Lapua, you could be on to something.

Is there currently any commercial brass made in any caliber that is both cheaper than Lapua and reloadable 10+ times?

Is there currently any commercial brass made in any caliber that is both cheaper than Lapua and reloadable 10+ times?

Norma is almost as good as Lapua and used to be cheaper but I believe they have raised their prices now. I've seen claims of reloading Remington and Winchester brass up to 15 times, so I said 10+ as a swag. Still, Emouse said "premium" so I don't think it's a bad goal to shoot for.

Anyone??????
Do you have specific knowledge that made you arrive at the 1 million piece run number or is this just a guess?

If it it a fact based target, then it actually is achievable, but it would take someone who was dedicated to driving the group buy and making it happen.