• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Philosophical rambling No 2– sets of previous reloads and their use method

ceruleanblue

Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
Most of us have several stacks of carefully reloaded and labeled rifle ammo that we thought was the correct ammo to reload during a brief interlude of mindlessness. Now we find that we have several loadings for a same rifle with some feature (bullet weight, OAL, powder, muzzle velocity, etc.) that sets these reloads apart. So, we go to the hillside with some targets (five metallic hangers in my case) and set them up all over the place. This is how I deal with it:

I’ve created a separate name for my rifle/ammo combination (because I have a few rifles in the same caliber). Each one has most of the same settings in my ballistic application and my Kestrel except for the name, the BC and muzzle velocity (or other variables as necessary). CZ557-A is the CZ 308 that shoots the 71mm OAL ammo made with BCL-2 and a 168gr head. CZ557-L is the same CZ 557 loading but with a longer OAL that groups better but no longer fits the magazine because the lands are farther than the magazine allows. You get the idea. Do you all have a similar system or some suggestions? It doesn’t have to be topic specific because this thread starts with the word “philosophical”. Do interject your thoughts.