• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Phoenix Custom Rifles lead times and services

PCR

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2006
tempe, az
Fellow Hider's,

I would like to introduce myself as a new vender on Sniper's Hide.

My name is Bradley Johns, owner of Phoenix Custom Rifles located in southern Arizona. Our machine shop has over 1200 sq. ft. of dedicated space, with separate areas for metal preparation and firearms coatings and are set up to perform a large list of gunsmithing services.

Our purpose is to build the finest, most accurate tactical or hunting rifle you will ever own.

Our commitment is to work with each customer, individually, to put together a rifle package that meets the needs of their intended purpose, and exceeds expectations.
We here at Phoenix Custom Rifles, look forward to meeting you and beginning the process of your build.

This thread will be utilized to announce lead times for builds and services offered.

We will be caught up on current full rifle builds by September 1st. Builds with supplied parts will be in and out in about 3-4 weeks. Barrel installs are in and out in about a week.

Turn around time on rifle Cerakoting is about 2 weeks.

Turn around time on bolt knob installs is about 2 days in shop.

Thank you,
Brad

Re: Phoenix Custom Rifles lead times and services

Got a build with you guys now! I must say I have had nothing but great service and communication so I can attest to your creed. Hope you guys are very successful!

Congratulations on having your new shop up and running Brad!
cool.gif

I had PCR fix a little headspace issue on my 6.5 Creedmoor this past week.
The original smith went a little deep on the chamber, and PCR did a little setback and cleaned up the metal for me. The rifle is a Bartlein barreled SA700, and wasn't a slouch, its consistently shot sub-moa for me, usually right around .75moa.

But I took it to the range this morning and found that it has improved:

65cm081111a.jpg

Looks to me like they did a pretty good job of making sure the cuts were right!!

It was nice to meet with you guys today. The shop looks great!

Nice to meet you too Nick.
We'll post pictures of your rifle as its being built.

Here are some pictures and info on our bolt knob installs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Remington and Savage installs are $90. This includes the knob, install, Cerakote, and return shipped.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Howa1500 and FN/Winchester installs are $110. This includes the knob, install, Cerakote, and return shipping.</span>

This is my "Marksman" knob. It is roughly 1.4" long, and .850" in diameter.
IMG_08771.jpg

IMG_08781.jpg

Next is the "Varminter" knob. It is roughly 1.5" long and .850" in diameter.
IMG_09771.jpg

IMG_09761.jpg

IMG_11321.jpg

IMG_11331.jpg

And my "Phoenix" knob. It is the longest at roughly 1.65" long and .850" in diameter.
IMG_09601.jpg

IMG_11171.jpg

IMG_11741-1.jpg

Here's a .338Edge that was Cerakote by Brad.
It has a 3 color camo job consisting of OD, FDE, and Black.
338Edge019.jpg

338Edge024.jpg

Here is an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor that Brad Cerakoted:
IMG_11021.jpg

IMG_11011.jpg

This is an AICS coated by Brad in FDE. The Chassis was redone in Black.
IMG_13221.jpg

IMG_13201.jpg

IMG_13211.jpg

IMG_13191.jpg

Nick,

Trued your receiver today.
Here is the before and after.
Keith is truing the bolt right now.

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

Here are some pics with the bolt done.

photo-100.jpg

This bolt is sporting a Phoenix bolt knob, the PCR shroud modification, and the 8-40 screw install through the handle to reinforce it. There was a Badger knob installed on the bolt by someone else. I removed it and installed the Phoenix using the method of install we use. After blasting and Cerakote this bolt will look beautiful!

photo-103.jpg

photo-106.jpg

Nick your base holes are opened to 8-40 and square to the receiver face(parallel with bore). Screws are cut to length and rail is on, only to be removed again for barreling soon.

Augie,

Here is a picture of your trued receiver and bolt with new extractor installed.

Thanks for your business and stop by any time to see us.

100.jpg

Thanks Mark,

Still tooling up. Pilots, fixtures, materials.... seems like we never run out of things we need.

We're in the middle of 3 builds with components on hand and waiting for parts for a few more. It'll be nice to post pictures of some finished rifles.

Nick, here are some pics from this weekend of your build.
Your barrel is tightened down, headspaced, AICS relieved for trigger and larger recoil lug, and scope rail on with its new 8-40s. The recoil lug was bored out to our tenon size and shortened to fit the AICS.

It is ready for Cerakote and it will be coated any day now.

We will let it cure for about one week before bedding it.

photo-117.jpg

Your thread protector:
photo-114.jpg

photo-118.jpg

photo-120.jpg

The flats on the sides of the thread protector are .749" wide. So any 3/4" wrench will fit it. The flats provide as much hand grip IMO as knurling, but again offers use of a standard wrench.

photo-115.jpg

photo-121.jpg

photo-119.jpg

The flats on the thread protector have a width of .749" so any 3/4" wrench will fit it perfectly. Even an old beat up round-edged wrench.

This is the way we will be making our thread caps. Perfectly flush fit, and two flats for grip that are a standard width apart so a standard wrench can fit on it.

We may also offer knurled thread caps for a lesser price. They will not be as high of quality a fit because they are just generic thread caps from PTG. That will be announced later and is still up in the air.

Thank you

Few pics of Nicks 6.5 Creed finished.

The scope is a slave that is just on there for testing.

Handle reinforcement and shroud mod:
IMG_15321.jpg

Phoenix Custom Rifles logo:
IMG_15401.jpg

Crown and thread protector:
IMG_15311.jpg

Thread protector has two flats that are .749" wide for use with any 3/4" wrench if need be.
IMG_15301.jpg

Whole rifle Cerakoted military black with Phoenix bolt knob:
IMG_15341.jpg

More pics of this and other rifles to come. I think we're planning a desert trip soon to get some kool photos and to do some test firing.

Just did a bolt knob install on a Winchester bolt.
They're no problem. Just takes some extra work to do them. It does take me about twice the time as a Remy, but the extra time isn't labor intensive so the price difference wont be huge.

The price for install on Winchesters/FNs will be $125. That includes the knob, return shipping, and Cerakote of the knob/handle.

Turn around time is the same.
Same knob choices.
I still use my 10-32 stud install method just like with Remingtons.

Thank you very much

Badger Thruster Brake blended to a #7 Bartlein barrel at PCR

Fullerbrake005.jpg

Great job guys. I am so happy you are now in Phoenix.

Phoenix Custom Rifles 6.5Creedmoor

Here are the pictures of the rifle, and a picture of the 6 shot group fired from it.

IMG_15941.jpg

IMG_15951.jpg

IMG_15961.jpg

IMG_15981.jpg

IMG_15991.jpg

IMG_16011.jpg

IMG_16021.jpg

IMG_16041.jpg

6 shots fired off my pack and rear bean bag at 113 yards:
photo9.jpg

The square "bullseye" pictured is .675" wide(inside the black).
I put a few more into that cluster after the pic was taken too.

Factory ammo. Rifle shoots...

Great looking work guys! Did you ever end up getting an oven for the H series Cerakote?

i like that thread protector, thats a nice clean look. glad to see you up and running at full capacity

No oven yet. We're sticking with C-series until probably the end of the year.

Thanks AXEMAN. I like the flats better than knurling. You can make use of a standard 3/4" wrench if needed.

<span style="font-style: italic">Edited: I don't see knurled thread protectors on their(PTGs) site now.</span> We were going to offer those as well.

Here is a beautiful 7mm Remington Magnum built by Brad Johns.
He built the rifle for himself so we werent going to post it as a company built rifle, but it's just too nice not to.

HuntingRiflewebpics008.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics003.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics011.jpg

This is how it shoots at <span style="font-weight: bold">500</span> yards. This group is from this morning actually.
Half MOA is common for it when Brad or I do our part.
HuntingRiflewebpics-1.jpg

This rifle has shot almost every load he's tried through it under half MOA. He's using the 162 Amaxs right now.

.625BC at 2800+ fps depending on load and barrel length, with half MOA accuracy.
Makes the 7RemMag look pretty sweet.

Nice looking rifle there!

Thanks Drew,

I'm still in load development on the 7 rem mag, and H4831sc was a powder that I had on hand. Looking for 3000 fps and will need to change powder to get there.

Maybe I'll try Retumbo

Good to see you up and running full throttle. I am looking forward to getting with you next month on a side bolt release.'

david s.

I really dig the bolt shroud mod. It looks fantastic! Does it offer any accuracy benefit? Do you do any work to the firing mechanism as far as relieving any drag on the firing pin? Just curious. I know most fellas dont think about this area much but it can be seriously important for top accuracy. Man that shroud is the nicest i have ever seen. Props man!!! Lee

Thank you very much to both of you.

David, things are taking a while with the side bolt releases. We've been concentrating 100% on the builds we're doing right now and I will have a few days down time at the end of this month to make some practice attempts at the side bolt releases. I'll install a few into some bored out bar-stock, then try it for real on my own receiver, then a shop owned receiver, then probably do a couple with Brad to his rifles, then we will finally offer them to the public after we've done about 6 of them.

Im hoping early next month.

Skeetlee, Thanks for the compliment on the shroud design. I wasn't sure if people were really noticing it or not. All my rifles will have it done so I'm hoping to make it "my" look. It does not help accuracy or firing pin drag in any way, just looks kool with my knob designs.

As far as reducing firing pin drag, I encourage upgraded firing pin springs and aluminum firing pins which reduce lock-time by themselves, and I properly lubricate the entire bolt and assembly. People very often have way too much, or not nearly enough lube in the right spots. Tetra grease on the shroud threads, and a very light coat of Remington gun oil on the f-pin shaft, spring, and none on the tip. And of course Tetra grease on the bolt lugs.

Ive seen bolts lock up and get stuck in rifles from too little lube on the shroud threads. Lock right up.
Sprayed lube down into the thread under pressure through a straw, let sit for 5 minutes, opened like butter.

I've heard some people on here make fun of new guys asking questions about oiling their bolts. Jokes on the jokesters cause bolts DO need proper lubrication in multiple areas, and with more than one type of lube.

When I get bolts in for bolt knob installs, I clean them out and properly lubricate them the way I believe they should be lubed. Nothing but good reports so far.

Hey Keith,

Can you do bolt knob installs on Rem Model 7's as well.

Hi Brad,

It was great to have an opportunity to come by and say Hi to you and Keith and to get to see your new shop. Looks great!

Now <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> have "Lathe Envy".

Mark

Good to see you too Mark.
Come by anytime!

FN SPR bolt knob install:
IMG_16311.jpg

Knob is a 3-ringed Phoenix.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Our current back log is still about one month for complete builds.

We can have complete builds done within one month and can help you find the parts for your build.

Cerakote of rifles takes about 2 weeks in shop.

Miscellaneous rifle work is about 1 week out(bedding, muzzle threading, trigger install and tune, cut/crown, etc.)

Bolt knob installs are 3 days in shop right now.</span>

Thank you very much!

Love what you guys are doing.

Have you ever used any of the new one piece bolts for the M700 from PT&G?

What stock is on that M700, looks like a Classic M40 with an adjustable cheek piece, but I have been wrong before.

Thank you. We have used PTG bolts before. Have not yet boughten one of the one piece bolts though.
We offer a deal where a customer can switch out their factory bolt with an oversized PTG bolt, we then ream the raceway to .705". Bolt size would be about .701". Or even .700" if it's to be Cerakoted. We keep your factory bolt and give you a discount on the work, which helps pay for the new bolt.

Id have to ask Brad but yes I believe that is the HTG(A1).

We are wrapping up 3 builds right now. We will be test firing one or two this weekend and posting pics of the rifles and targets.

With these 3 builds done, and all bolt work/misc work caught up, we're sitting pretty on time.

We will be finishing up the next 2 rifle, after these 3, within about 2 weeks. After that, we're damn near caught up completely until parts for other builds come in.

This is a good time to order and take advantage of our quick turn around time. We're getting busier and busier and by January I dont see us having a 1-2 month turn around anymore.

Thanks everyone

Keith Johns

Emblem is done with a LectroEtch machine. We're very happy with it.

Here are two rifles just finished:

First is a .308 Winchester Tactical Match.
IMG_16341.jpg

IMG_16351.jpg

IMG_16411.jpg

IMG_16391.jpg

photo10.jpg

Tested with Black Hills factory ammo.
The box on the target is not an inch by the way.

Nice looking rifle. What does the 308 weigh?

What kind of rings do you have on your mule scope?

We'll have pics up in the Rifles forum very soon of a 7mm Remington Magnum that Brad has built.
It's a very nice rifle. He started with a flat top Mcmillan A5 and did all the inlet work himself. It's a pretty kool build. Has an aftermarket bolt in it that isnt talked about much on here.

Thanks

Keith

some pics of the bolt knob Keith did for me last week. the bolt type wasn't something he regularly offered on the site. i told him what i wanted and he made it for. came out great. the larger diameter over stock felt better in the hand and is easier to grasp. the added length gave more leverage in opening and especially closing the bolt. sent it out on a Wednesday and came back the following Wednesday.

DSC02107.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

Here's a few bolts in Saturday and shipping today (Monday).

larrybolt009.jpg

Thanks for the pics Vegas!

Guys you're all welcome to post pictures of work from us and give feedback on it. It's encouraged.

Thanks again.

Here is a picture of some custom grip work Im doing to my A5.
We have epoxy in every color Mcmillan uses in their stocks so we can duplicate their colors and patterns to the best of <span style="font-style: italic">our</span> ability. Here Im trying to match a Marble swirl. Not easy, takes many applications and sandings but I'll get it.
Feels Niiice too.
Once it gets sanding in and some texturing applied, then some sanding again
smile.gif
, it will be done.
photo-148.jpg

Here's a quick pic of our 1st Gen. side bolt stops. This is the first one I've done. Came out great, except for one number in all honesty. That number has been corrected and I'll be installing another one on another receiver we own tomorrow. The only number is placement. The stop slot/pin hole dimensions are right on I just installed it too far forward (Doh!). We will also be installing them just a hair shallower too. Only a few thou. On full builds getting cerakote we can then blend them in with the action and really make it look great.
photo-149.jpg

This one functions flawlessly so far. I think their pins should be longer and may look into new pins. Like I said it's too far forward by about 1/10th", but everything else is g2g.

Our 2nd Gen stops may use threaded pins and a blind hole. Thats TBD. If we stick with the through hole and non-threaded pins, we will be using slightly longer pins and sealing the top hole before Cerakote on full builds so the pin is trapped and there's no visible hole on top. It will look better and be even more bullet-proof.

These stops are designed to hit against the rear of the slot and contact the action. No pressure is put on the pin itself(well, not from the bolts rearward throw anyways).
The pin holes in the stops are not just round holes, their slots. The stop is allowed to slide rearward and contact the action, so that no pressure is put on the pin.

Thank you very much

I'm really interested in seeing how that grip comes out, would love to have one like that on my A5. Keep us posted on the finished product.