• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photo and video of the F35 that crashed in the S China Sea

Id fight you, but you would never see me
SR71 has entered the chat...
19041577-1.jpg

613px-Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

Good to hear everyone survived.

@Baron23 I'm with you, they 'look' huge next to Gen 4 US (svelte and sexy), likely a function of wing area and fuselage height/thickness. Bigger fighters are sluggish in roll-rate (isn't everything compared to an F-5!)...but that won't matter appreciably in most scenarios.

The F-35’s biggest issue (particularly for Naval Aviation) is not its size, but that it’s single engine. Redundant systems are nice, but redundant systems on redundant engines is better.

The true failure to respect history is the missing gun in B & C (USAF obviously didn't have same design constraints as USN, or desires as USMC). IMO, an aircraft shouldn't get F- designation without one. Same reason fighters will be the last manned aircraft...a visual fight cannot be done via ground terminal, at least with current tech.

Reactions: Baron23
Ah yeah....that's $110M sitting in salt water, all right. Fubar'd that bad boy, for certain.

If you have ever stood next to one of these planes, you will realize just how fucking HUUUUUGE it is. Apparently we can learn our lessons about very large fighter aircraft for a decade or so (see F-16 as an example) but then amnesia sets in and we build more behemoths with far too much complicated shit that never all works at one time. Same shit, different day.

P.S. if ever in Northern Virginia I strongly recommend the Air and Space Annex (Udvar Hazy Center) out by Dulles airport....and, among a great many incredible aircraft in there is an F-35. And it really is huuuuuge! haha
I think that's the X-35A, and yes, I was flabbergasted when I first saw it up close that it's humongous compared to an F-16/F-18 (C/D).

Reactions: Baron23
The Corsair was naval aviation's Jug
Loved the Corsair.....great aircraft and cool looking.

To me, the P-47 is sort of like the bumblebee....stays aloft on pure effort cause it sure don't look too aerodynamic. haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Supposedly leaked footage of the crash:

Can't believe people leak this stuff. Anyway, looks like you can see the pilot punch out as the plane is skidding down the deck. Lucky it didn't hit any other aircraft. Luckier that nobody was killed.

Other threads on the mess:

Last edited:
Back in the early '90's my older sister was married to a USAF missile cop (security police) at Elsworth AFB, they have B-1 Bombers there. Something was said in a conversation, about different aircraft at different bases when I came home from Kadena, which is/was mostly fighter planes there...my sister says, well, at least those a small aircraft, imagine if a B-1 crashed in to your car when you were driving by the flight line. Yes, she's a hair dresser, and a good one, but not too bright when it comes to how big fighter planes are. 🤣

Lost two Eagles on the same day when I was on Kadena (84, I think). Mid-air collusion during an ORI.

• Wow
Reactions: Cowpokey
In ’87 a Tomcat crashed after take off at North Island across from San Diego. We were picking up smaller pieces and taking them to the Mudsu unit that was recovering the wreckage. It was in about 50’ of water. About a mile from the crash site, Me and my buddy found the base ring of the canopy. All the glass was gone, just the ring, but I was surprised at how big it was. A lot bigger than they look on Top Gun. He got on one side, and I got on the other and we picked it up, but we couldn’t get it off the bottom. We lowered it to resting on our knees and blew up our BCs with as much air as they would hold and tried again. With 100% effort we got that sucker to the surface, but the boys in the dive boat were just hanging out and didn’t see us. We couldn’t hold that thing much longer, so I took a huge breath, kicked like hell and got my face out of the water, spit my regulator out and yelled. Then I was immediately back under water, holding on, kicking at 100% effort with no air. Waiting for what seemed like eternity. They fired up the boat and came over and grabbed it with boat hooks and got it into the boat. Good thing, as my vision was turning yellow and I was seeing stars. It was so heavy that you had to hold it with two hands, and I had no way to put my regulator back in my mouth. If either one of us had let go, it could have been very bad for the other. We took it over to the Mudsu boys and you should have seen the look on their faces. We pull up in a 22’ boat, and that ring went almost all the way around our boat, all we had was two scuba divers and a couple boys on the boat, and they were like “How the hell did y’all do that?” Just another story from my previous life.

Back in the early '90's my older sister was married to a USAF missile cop (security police) at Elsworth AFB, they have B-1 Bombers there. Something was said in a conversation, about different aircraft at different bases when I came home from Kadena, which is/was mostly fighter planes there...my sister says, well, at least those a small aircraft, imagine if a B-1 crashed in to your car when you were driving by the flight line. Yes, she's a hair dresser, and a good one, but not too bright when it comes to how big fighter planes are. 🤣

Kadena had Habus.......and I don't mean the snake.

Saw one coming in for a landing while camped in someone's pineapple field in the Central Training area.

Supposedly leaked footage of the crash:

Can't believe people leak this stuff. Anyway, looks like you can see the pilot punch out as the plane is skidding down the deck. Lucky it didn't hit any other aircraft. Luckier that nobody was killed.

Other threads on the mess:

Sounds like someone was watching it with his Phillipino bar girl.

• Haha
Reactions: akmike47
Sounds like someone was watching it with his Phillipino bar girl.

It would be interesting to separate the chatter of people in the room from the audio of the footage. No idea how to do that.

Saw one coming in for a landing while camped in someone's pineapple field in the Central Training area.
I got to Kadena in Feb '91, the Habu wasn't flying anymore. :(

Buddy of mine at stationed there late 70's said same. They'd do a FOD walk, then were sent inside before one would land or take off. He also related a story about the place outside the gate with the banana show.

Leaving my area of expertise.....shocker.

I don't know, I guess shit happens. Misjudge a swell maybe.

Guessing F35 guys are the best of the best.

Just thought those guys are 100% with the guy on the stern "flying" the plane.

Wonder if there is something being unsaid.

Definitely not my area of expertise. But I do follow aviation.

The seas looked pretty calm. There is another video floating around and you can hear the engine spool up a few seconds before, around the time the LSO was screaming power/wave off, so he had power and appeared to be in control.

I would venture a guess the pilot just got it wrong. Carrier landings are no joke, they are the best!

Mooch, who posted the video is an ex F-14 rio. He in another video believes it was just a mistake. If anything else surfaces publicly, he will likely cover it. He has some really good content and brings on guests with first hand accounts covering military and more specifically Naval aviation.

Definitely not my area of expertise. But I do follow aviation.

The seas looked pretty calm. There is another video floating around and you can hear the engine spool up a few seconds before, around the time the LSO was screaming power/wave off, so he had power and appeared to be in control.

I would venture a guess the pilot just got it wrong. Carrier landings are no joke, they are the best!

Mooch, who posted the video is an ex F-14 rio. He in another video believes it was just a mistake. If anything else surfaces publicly, he will likely cover it. He has some really good content and brings on guests with first hand accounts covering military and more specifically Naval aviation.

Love watching Ward Carrols videos.....its where I got my pilots license.

F-35 guys are like all fighter pilots, best of the breed...but night traps are one of the most difficult (and easily the most terrifying, for obvious reasons) things in aviation. The saying "you're only as good as your last trap" is there to remind you of it. A small throttle adjustment, held a split second too long, can put you "behind the power curve"...and in close, there isn't time to get out of it.

Also hard to tell from the video (but possible) if malfunction played a role (think automated flight controls), but does appear in control until impact. Again, just glad he was able to get out in time...and that it continued down the LA...vice cartwheeling towards the flight deck crew. It could have gone a 1000 worse ways.

Reactions: camocorvette
F-35 guys are like all fighter pilots, best of the breed...but night traps are one of the most difficult (and easily the most terrifying, for obvious reasons) things in aviation. The saying "you're only as good as your last trap" is there to remind you of it. A simple split second throttle adjustment, held too long, can put you "behind the power curve"...and in close, there isn't time to get out of it.

Also hard to tell from the video (but possible) if malfunction played a role (think automated flight controls), but does appear in control until impact. Again, just glad he was able to get out in time...and that it continued down the LA...vice cartwheeling towards the flight deck crew. It could have gone a 1000 worse ways.
If I had to speculate, and I really don’t want to say anything because I wasn’t there and I try really hard to not Monday morning QB, but it looked and sounded to me like the pilot cut power too early. Those things will literally fall out of the sky if you reduce power too soon. The wings need speed to produce lift. They have minimal flaps and many times no leading edge devices hence the steep deck angles when landing. Speed and thrust are mandatory.

F-35 guys are like all fighter pilots, best of the breed...but night traps are one of the most difficult (and easily the most terrifying, for obvious reasons) things in aviation. The saying "you're only as good as your last trap" is there to remind you of it. A small throttle adjustment, held a split second too long, can put you "behind the power curve"...and in close, there isn't time to get out of it.

Pilot yanks on one of those yellow handles.........they are getting out in a hurry, and in a big way............

Looks like he took a bird strike.
Ha, no.
It's just that that unit does a shit job on their dent program.
If you look at the horizontal line just above those dents, that's the bottom line below the refuel door. Rookie pilots or boomers can beat the shit out of the nose.