• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Picking a Reticle, what is your favorite?

have any of you guys ever seen this? I like the idea of it. I just dont know how I would actually like using it.
reticle.gif
2008-04-16-d-l-tactical-reticle-med.jpg

Depends on the purpose.

For a PRS/NRL/general purpose use, I really like the SKMR3. A reticle similar to that would be my choice for these disciplines.

For ELR, the AMR reticle is about perfect, IMO. I can't believe this reticle never really caught on. It's a perfect match for my .300NM. From reticle pictures it looks really busy, but not the case when you are actually behind the rifle. 0.2 mil subtensions on the vertical and horizontal axis', with a very extensive Xmas tree that gives you lots of flexibility for holdovers. Really wish I had this reticle on my 6.5 creedmoor rifle when I was shooting 2,200 yards.

My .308 has an MSR-K which is a good reticle for general purpose shooting, but lacks some features that would be really beneficial for PRS type shooting (namely subtensions for holdovers).

I present to you the solution to all your reticle woes......

See @gebhardt02 @CSTactical or @trophyhunter

DBE9D464-4A2F-4C01-8C81-004CA58C7864.jpeg

Reactions: kthomas and b2lee
@Dthomas3523 I got one coming...in a few months I guess. With the @CSTactical piggy bank savings plan. I'm guessing the glass is still being etched in a super secret bunker in an Austrian Shaolin Monk Monastery.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

It doesn’t “do” anything. Some basic .5mil (I’m assuming) and weird ranging part at the bottom.

I’d run a Mil-R or MSR if I was looking for something like that.

Also, I can promise you just by looking at that reticle that it’s in a junk optic.

Reactions: Jackomason
The Mil-R is actually a pretty good reticle for hunting. Doesn’t have 0.2 mil holds in the center so it’s not the best for comps. But because only the center cross lights up, it doesn’t hurt the low light image and it affectively turns the reticle into a red dot at low power.

Terribly hard to get hand held phone pics, the ret is much sharper and much more visible in real life. Hard to see the illumination in pics too, but it’s daylight bright.
I've got an ATACR 4-16x42 with a MIL-R reticle and the illumination is anything but daylight bright. What NF do you have?

It doesn’t “do” anything. Some basic .5mil (I’m assuming) and weird ranging part at the bottom.

I’d run a Mil-R or MSR if I was looking for something like that.

Also, I can promise you just by looking at that reticle that it’s in a junk optic.
it comes in march, and nightforce

I'm new to this but so far I think this is great.

Attachments

• SKMR3_K624i-K525i.pdf
    225.1 KB · Views: 57
I've come to appreciate reticles like the MR4 because it's relatively clear above the horizontal line.

I've had trouble spotting rounds in the air when there too much clutter above the point of aim and keeping it open really helps spot bullet trace.

Most of my shooting is done in places where we don't see the off plate rounds hit the ground, so seeing it in the air is key for me anyway.

For the same reason, I'm not much of a fan of the Christmas tree in the lower half. I just find it distracting and would prefer less interference so I can see impacts, or trace when holding high as well. So MR4 without the Christmas tree would be perfect IMO.
Why is the Christmas tree in the lower half distracting? At low mag or high mag? I assume you mean its distracting when you're impacting in the tree area. I was shooting my 308 today, and its heavy, and I couldn't keep the scope anywhere near the target after the shot, it raised high and left. Its an 18 lb gun, so I don't see how you can hold the scope to see the impact. Just asking, I'm new so I don't know.

I'm a Nightforce guy. I really like both the MIL-XT and MIL-C

Simple answer....Aim small, Miss small. As simple as that. Reticles are subjective, pick one that will get the job done, then learn/practice with it. Place the cross/dot on the Bullseye, pull the trigger or have I missed something over the decades?? Mac:rolleyes:
My favorite is Athlon's BLR SFP MOA....View attachment 7251988
I'm punching paper and steel shooting for group size out to 1000 yards so far.

VooDoo
I know next to nothing about shooting but I like this reticle. I like that dot surrounded by open space. My ebr2c at 27X is a square of open space but the square sort of hides the finer references to the aim point. I find myself circling the aim point to be sure I'm comprehending it right.

Why is the Christmas tree in the lower half distracting? At low mag or high mag? I assume you mean its distracting when you're impacting in the tree area. I was shooting my 308 today, and its heavy, and I couldn't keep the scope anywhere near the target after the shot, it raised high and left. Its an 18 lb gun, so I don't see how you can hold the scope to see the impact. Just asking, I'm new so I don't know.

Well, you're shooting a 308 for one thing. Not exactly a light recoiling rifle, so even at 18 pounds its hard to control under recoil.

But... under recoil, you have the bullet moving downward toward the target while the reticle including all those dots are moving upward. I find all that distracting and would be better able to spot the shot without all that obstruction and movement. For longer shots, you hopefully recover from recoil in time to see the impact.

PRS guys gravitate to light recoiling 6mms, and I've been working with my 223 to get the recoil lower than that.

Some guys when they miss, just aim somewhere else to correct on the next shot, but unless you see the shot in the air or see an impact somewhere in the back drop, you are just guessing.

If you can spot the bullet in the air on the way in, then you have what you need to correct.

For me, even with the 223 I cannot see trace every time, especially with unstable positions, but I am most likely to see it because of the light recoil.

For me, I put more weight on the need to spot the shot in the air, or on impact than I do the need for dots for my hold overs for wind, especially considering the above.

I shot with 6 different reticles yesterday at the range. The EBR2C on a 308 Remington 700 without a muzzle brake. My goal here was to practice recoil management and see my own impacts on a 8" piece of steel. I did decent with that.

The EBR7C on the 300 PRC with a 4oz TT trigger and an aggressive APA Lil' B' brake. You go from the 308 to this rifle...and my scope doesn't move with recoil. Both the 2C and 7C are close enough to where my brain doesn't really notice a difference.

I shot a 223 remington 700 with a Leupold with a TMOA reticle. Don't really like it at all. I also shot a 30-30 with a Leupold with a Boone and Crocket reticle...and it works for what it is. No complaints. It will kill a deer or piggy. Easy for hold overs.

I shot a 308 Remington 700 with a Nikon with a BDC. In a 3-9x scope...it works for it's intended purpose. I wouldn't want to stretch it out further.

The funny thing was when shooting a friends Henry in 357 with a cheap Mil-Dot scope of unknown manufacture. I think it was the unmarked scope that came with Rem700's back in the late 90's. While there wasn't really anything wrong with the reticle. The scope itself turned an extremely beautiful golden Henry into an AK-Henry. With shot to shot movement of 6-8 feet at 100 yards. Took the scope off and shot with iron sights and it had stunning accuracy with a pistol cartridge.

So...when it comes to reticles....I can work with what I got. However, bad tracking or failure to maintain zero...those are real killers right there. That's why I've always gravitated toward a quality set of internals and just learned to deal with the reticle.

For target shooting, I really like the mil-based simpler Christmas tree-style reticles such as EBR-7C in the Vortex Razors, the Mil-XT in the ATACR or NX8, or the SKMR 3 in the Kahles.

Anyone interested near Brownsville, Texas, there is a Zero Compromise 527 MPCT3 demo at Masseys Gunshop (@trophyhunter )for a couple days. Then it will be at the Rifles Only Brawl this weekend and then back to ZCompOptic.

Check it out while it’s down here.

Attachments

• 57D7A22E-C96B-48AD-BCC9-A450914ECB3E.jpeg
    57D7A22E-C96B-48AD-BCC9-A450914ECB3E.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 46
Anyone interested near Brownsville, Texas, there is a Zero Compromise 527 MPCT3 demo at Masseys Gunshop (@trophyhunter )for a couple days. Then it will be at the Rifles Only Brawl this weekend and then back to ZCompOptic.

Check it out while it’s down here.
I can’t stop thinking of an ibex when I look at that reticle…sorry for the crap pic.

54255D6D-1752-41A0-9398-A63F0FA68606.jpeg

If you don't stop posting pics of my ex-gf....I'm going to ask the mods to ban you ;)
Silly boy, THIS was your girlfriend…not that hottie I posted above.

914E8661-9824-4888-8252-2EC0F4F672E0.jpeg

BD122D5F-6FEB-4187-8DD2-2B72FFA732BD.jpeg

(But seriously, I guess this is a real animal, the saiga. Looks like something outta Star Wars)

Reactions: b2lee