• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Picking out the perfect one.

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    So I've recently put together a Precision Recce Rifle .25-.5 MOA easy and because she is so accurate I feel she deserves to have a bit more magnification for doing Precision work.

IMG-6464ec210c923403d830a27e2c3226b1-V.jpg

I was actually pretty happy with the Triji, with the exception of the center crosshairs being too large for shooting groups. I almost switched it out for the Nightforce ATACR 1-8, but even the center dot at 100yrds is 1.25" so still no good for Target Shooting.

Right now I'm about to buy the new Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 with H59.

So here's my question to you all, am I missing a better option?

If you have some recommendations that fall under these exact criteria please let me know.

Must be....

New
    Under 13"
    Under 30oz
    No less then 18x on top
    Under $2000.00
    FFP
    Must have a Tree reticle or something with windage holdovers like the H59.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

FWIW, I have the same scope with the plain ol tremor reticle on my hunting rifle. It really is a good scope. I have my eye on the new Burris XTR3 in 3-18 for another build, that might be worth looking at as well. The buzz about the new Burris is that it has a pretty large field of view, which I like. In my opinion, Leupold finally got it right with the Mark 5. I am not really a Horus guy and I am not a fan of their CCH either, but that is just a personal preference thing. If they had a reticle similar to the Athlon APRS, or the Vortex 7C, I would probably just get all Mark 5s.

FWIW, I have the same scope with the plain ol tremor reticle on my hunting rifle. It really is a good scope. I have my eye on the new Burris XTR3 in 3-18 for another build, that might be worth looking at as well. The buzz about the new Burris is that it has a pretty large field of view, which I like. In my opinion, Leupold finally got it right with the Mark 5. I am not really a Horus guy and I am not a fan of their CCH either, but that is just a personal preference thing. If they had a reticle similar to the Athlon APRS, or the Vortex 7C, I would probably just get all Mark 5s.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mark 5 line so far, I'd love to have the New Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50 CCW SKMR3, but just too rich for my blood.

Maybe the 5-25 Eotech Vudu as well.

The Vudu is my plan B?

Are the new NX8 even out yet and are they using ED glass?

When I signed up for the MIL program with Nightforce I saw them on the price sheet but they only have two reticle options this time.

I don't think I've heard of a defined release date other than this summer. Yes ED glass, but not quite ATACR level.

I don't think I've heard of a defined release date other than this summer. Yes ED glass, but not quite ATACR level.

There's another brand that makes some pretty nices scopes with a wide magnification range like 2-30x

I can't for the life of me remember the name of them I know they're from across the pond somewhere, I know they make some quality scopes a lot of ELR shooters use them.

There's another brand that makes some pretty nices scopes with a wide magnification range like 2-30x

I can't for the life of me remember the name of them I know they're from across the pond somewhere, I know they make some quality scopes a lot of ELR shooters use them.
    March?

Yes!

Damn I was way off...lol
    Pretty sure they made in the US as well..lol

I've never been behind one or really looked into them.

As for the NX8 reticles, they're being advertised with the option for the Mil- XT and I think tremor 3.

That said, I was planning on ordering a Mk5 through the mil program in a couple days. Whenever it arrives I can do a comparison review between it, an NXS F1, and 4-16x42mm ATACR. Maybe a 5-25 Vudu since I've seen some sweet deals.

I've never been behind one or really looked into them.

As for the NX8 reticles, they're being advertised with the option for the Mil- XT and I think tremor 3.

That said, I was planning on ordering a Mk5 through the mil program in a couple days. Whenever it arrives I can do a comparison review between it, an NXS F1, and 4-16x42mm ATACR. Maybe a 5-25 Vudu since I've seen some sweet deals.

That would be an awesome comparison, I almost just went straight to the vudu but it's right there at my max weight limit. And the Nightforce it's just over budget.

I'd love to see a side by side of the 4-16x42mm ATACR and the Mark 5 3.6-18

especially if Leupold did get it right this time with the mark 5 line. With the Leupold being 4oz lighter and more magnification on top. As far as features it's wash but I'm sure without a doubt the Nightforce is going to have best durability/reliability in this class.

That would be an awesome comparison, I almost just went straight to the vudu but it's right there at my max weight limit. And the Nightforce it's just over budget.

I'm not sure how fast Leupold is shipping product purchased from the mil programs but if it's immediate, I should be able to do a somewhat thorough comparison next weekend.

maybe check out the Steiner T5XI 3-15x50? I have a similar AR like yours, and it looks to be about perfect, and damn near matches the specs you have in the OP perfectly. I plan to pick one up sometime in the future. Also, I really like the SCR reticle.

Also the new Burris XTR 3 3-18 is coming out soon I think.

Yes!

Damn I was way off...lol
    Pretty sure they made in the US as well..lol

Just took a look at them they are nice but not what I'm looking for.

I’ve been using one on a DMR successfully for years. But I’m on the east coast and don’t really need the Christmas tree. They have a Christmas tree reticle that is identical to the Kahles AMR but I’m not a huge fan of it.

At 20oz it’s really nice for a lighter rifle.

key word is MSRP.

NX8 2.5-20 with Mil-XT fits very well

Depending how hard your dimension limits are, the Tract Toric 30mm PRS reticle is like 13.5” and 32 Oz I believe. If you’re at all flexible I wouldn’t rule it out. Tract is having a 10% off sale this weekend which makes the Toric a hell of a bargain — near half your budget.

Im in a similar boat.
    I have a 10.5 SBR that I would like to setup as a RECCE rifle.
    Was considering the 4-16 ATACR, its a little pricey but has everything I want.
    Ive heard the Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 has had issues tracking, so I ruled that one out personally.
    Was also looking at the NX8 1-8 as well as the NXS 2.5-10, just kinda looking for a good deal.
    How silly is it to throw that kind of power on a 10.5 SBR?
    I'd love to stay FFP with this too

Save yourself $1500 and get a Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50. It has a nice .2 mil reticle, 10 mil knobs, ZS, illume, focuses close, is 27.3 oz and 13.8" and on sale right now.

Reactions: 10ring1
    Im in a similar boat.
    I have a 10.5 SBR that I would like to setup as a RECCE rifle.
    Was considering the 4-16 ATACR, its a little pricey but has everything I want.
    Ive heard the Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 has had issues tracking, so I ruled that one out personally.
    Was also looking at the NX8 1-8 as well as the NXS 2.5-10, just kinda looking for a good deal.
    How silly is it to throw that kind of power on a 10.5 SBR?
    I'd love to stay FFP with this too
    I think it was the mark 6 that had problems tracking. Mine (I bought 2 years ago) has been great though. If it had a tree reticle that would almost make it perfect. If I got another scope for my 6.5 AR I would get the Vortex AMG. I will say that the size of the mark 5/6 3x18’s are very nice and balance well.

I think it was the mark 6 that had problems tracking. Mine (I bought 2 years ago) has been great though. If it had a tree reticle that would almost make it perfect. If I got another scope for my 6.5 AR I would get the Vortex AMG. I will say that the size of the mark 5/6 3x18’s are very nice and balance well.

I've also read about people having issues with the Mark 5 line, look into it!

I've also read about people having issues with the Mark 5 line, look into it!
    I Didn’t know that. I haven’t really looked at Leupolds to buy after getting my Minox. And there are a lot of scopes that I find more appealing. I read about the tracking problems with the Mark 6 after I received mine And at the time it was the only scope of its size,weight etc. and the AMG wasn’t out yet. So maybe it’s been longer than 2 years since I bought my Mark6.
    If there are tracking issues on the Mark 5 that really sucks.
    Again I haven’t had any with my Mark 6.
    OP has some good options.

Very nice shooting OP, so many people claim to have rifles capable of doing this, yet few ever post anything up. Looks like the shooter is more than capable as well!!

As I recall there was a batch of Mark5 with some sort of a turret issue that has been rectified. The Mark 5 scopes I have seen tracked well.

For the OPs requirements, Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is a really nice option. I am not crazy about their reticle selection, but that is a personal preference. I really liked that scope and really prefered it to the earlier Mark 6 3-18x44.

Nightforce 4-16x42 is just outside your weight limit, but fits your requirements otherwise. I think it is a touch better than the Mark 6 optically, but it is close. Magnification difference between the two is not really significant in my opinion. With Mark 5, illumination adds a lot to the price, so between illuminated Mark 5 and ATACR, it is a pretty close call in terms of price and performance. If you do not need reticle illumination, Mark 5 is usually a better deal.

March 3-24x42 and 3-24x52 compete in the same basic space, and I like both, but they have fairly finicky parallax, so a lot of people have issues with that. I ran the 3-24x42 for a while and liked it. I think it is best thought of as an excellent 3-14x scope that can be dialed up to high mag when the conditions are favourable: you have time and yoru position is very steady. I ultimately switched to Tangent Theta 3-15x50 TT315M which I think is still the best scope of this type, but it is a touch longer than what you a re looking for and a fair bit more expensive.

Upcoming NX8 looks promising, but until it is in the wild, there isn't much I can say about it. I am a little concerned abotu depth of field and parallax sensitivity, but I have not see the scope live yet, so it is all theory for now.

Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50 is beginning to trickle out and I should have one here soon. The first ones out will likely have the original SCR reticle with the tree version (SCR2) following up soon. I saw the prototypes and thought they were excellent. We'll see how the production scopes do.

Bushnell LRTS is longer than what you are looking for, but is an excellent scope otherwise and fits your other requriements.

Sig Tango6 3-18x44 is heavier than you like, but fits everything else. I like SIg's DevL reticle.

ILya

Save yourself $1500 and get a Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50. It has a nice .2 mil reticle, 10 mil knobs, ZS, illume, focuses close, is 27.3 oz and 13.8" and on sale right now.

I have an Athlon Ares, Cronus BTR, and owned the original Cronus. They are great scopes, especially for the money, and I love the APLR reticle. In my opinion the Ares especially isn't even in the same ball park as the Leupold Mark 5, I own both. In my Ares the turrets are far too easy to turn and I am always checking to make sure my windage especially isn't rotated off a mil or two. The build quality on the Mark 5 also just seems better than the Ares in my opinion, seems more robust. Now, If I could stick the Ares or Cronus reticle in a 4-20 version of the Mark 5 with close to the same weight and dimensions...sign me up.

I have an Athlon Ares, Cronus BTR, and owned the original Cronus. They are great scopes, especially for the money, and I love the APLR reticle. In my opinion the Ares especially isn't even in the same ball park as the Leupold Mark 5, I own both. In my Ares the turrets are far too easy to turn and I am always checking to make sure my windage especially isn't rotated off a mil or two. The build quality on the Mark 5 also just seems better than the Ares in my opinion, seems more robust. Now, If I could stick the Ares or Cronus reticle in a 4-20 version of the Mark 5 with close to the same weight and dimensions...sign me up.

Sure, I agree, the Mark 5 is in the $2000ish market so....

I had a Ares 2.5-15x50 on my AR which got used to 800 yards. It's usually out of the truck and onto the steel. Although mine was like yours being from the first shipment - assuming (later shipments turrets were improved) I haven't felt the need to spend big money to scope an AR. It's just how I am, not one to put the S&B 3-20x50 I own already on a semi either or even something like the Mark 5.

A local guy started 3 gun matches so I went the opposite direction by buying a Burris FFP 1-8. I like the .1 mil center dot at 8x for precision and 1x - 2x for obvious reasons.

I have a Midas TAC 4-16 on the 6mmFatRat upper and have used it to 1122Y more than a few times, no complaints.

Giving other options just in case.

I'd love to see a side by side of the 4-16x42mm ATACR and the Mark 5 3.6-18

especially if Leupold did get it right this time with the mark 5 line. With the Leupold being 4oz lighter and more magnification on top. As far as features it's wash but I'm sure without a doubt the Nightforce is going to have best durability/reliability in this class.

Let me know if you're buying the 3-16, I have a used 3-16 with the Horus reticle on my SR25. Since getting the M110k1 I haven't shot the EMC so it basically just sits.

I'm not sure how fast Leupold is shipping product purchased from the mil programs but if it's immediate, I should be able to do a somewhat thorough comparison next weekend.

Ordered a Mk5 yesterday but didn't go through the program. Shipping is supposed to be expedited so whenever it gets here I'll get cracken on a comparison review between the ATACR and NXS F1 for those interested.