• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pictures from a recent Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1 &

USMC03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2003
Colorado
www.03designgroup.com
Pictures are property of USMC03 and www.03designgroup.com ... please don't steal my pics.

Pics of a recent 3 day Magpul Dynamics Dynamic Carbine 1 & 2 course.

Me:
IMG_2195001_copy.jpg

IMG_2196001_copy.jpg

IMG_2197001_copy.jpg

Costa talking with students:
IMG_2206001_copy.jpg

YammyMonkey and Mick:
IMG_2209001_copy.jpg

DZhitshard:
IMG_2211001_copy.jpg

More pics to come, stay tuned, and check back daily
wink.gif

Re: Pictures from a recent Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1 &

"Baby Costa" and his room mate running piston guns (LWRC) if I remember correctly:
IMG_2226001_copy.jpg

IMG_2227001_copy.jpg

YammyMonkey running his wife's new BCM mid-length with VTAC TRX handguard:
IMG_2228001_copy.jpg

IMG_2229001_copy.jpg

Mick with his S&W M&P carbine between drills:
IMG_2233001_copy.jpg

Costa and Travis demo a drill (brass in the air from both guns .... look closely):
IMG_2235001_copy.jpg

Nice pics, any idea how many rounds you sent during the class???

Im always interested to hear about weapons and gear reliability in these classes. Anything go down? Anything stand out?

Thanks!

Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im always interested to hear about weapons and gear reliability in these classes. Anything go down? Anything stand out?

Thanks!

Shane </div></div>

Hi Shane,

Sorry for the delayed reply. This class was in April, I've done 4 classes thus far. Nothing stands out in my mind as having any major problems ... but with all my duties as a host, trying to take pics, taking care of student / instructor / range staff needs, etc. there's a chance I may have missed something at the other end of the line.

I wrote some good info as to problems I've seen over the years on another board. I'll try to find it and provide a link.

Magpul carbine is a good class. I toke the level 1 and 2 back to back in March. The class was held down in Roberts La. I left 3,000 rds of 5.566mm on the grond over the total 6days. the class is an ammo intencive course. The group that hosted the class ran an awsome range. Both Chris and Travis bring a wealth of real world experiencewith them. I spent a contractor deployment on the smae detail as Travis.

One thing I could pass to anyone planning to attend a Magpul, or any course like it. Dont be that guy or girl that shows up with their body covered in the coolest gear and body armor. Or try out war story the other shooters. Dont be that guy! If you are that guy, find another means to bring shame on yourself.

If you have a means to afford to attend the class, you wont regret spending your money on their carbine class.

I noticed alot of Bravo Company USA uppers being used in these pics!
I just bought one of the BCM 16" bbl mid-gas upper assembly w/ BCG but havnt shot it yet, I plan on it this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed alot of Bravo Company USA uppers being used in these pics!
I just bought one of the BCM 16" bbl mid-gas upper assembly w/ BCG but havnt shot it yet, I plan on it this weekend. </div></div>

I think they are the best value in ARs right now. All the right features and no shortcuts. Reliable weapons- check out USMC03's website for a review of a BCM. Great customer service, lots of different options on builds.

I have a stupid "rookie" question?
What's up with the thumb over/on top of the handguard?
I guess I need to change my grip too, everyone seems to have a very loooong grip with their support hand.....I have a hard time not hugging the magwell with my right hand...
Thanks,
Sean

The gun wants to recoil with the barrel tipping up. By extending your arm and basically choking the forend, you can control that better. The farther you have your hand out, the easier and smoother transitions from target to target go. Think of it just like your isosceles handgun grip, but with your hands separated. Don't just do it because I do it
wink.gif
do it because it works for you.

I think the great thing about the pics that Jeff posts are that you get a third-party view of your technique. I have my thumb over forend, while if you see Chris and Travis they are thumbs forward, and it looks like they hold the AFG farther forward than I do. I think the thumbs forward is a more natural pointing method, but I noticed that my gun was rising to the right and up a bit, so I switched my thumb over to help keep the gun escaping in that direction. The next time I go the range I'll try both again and work out what is best for me.

I'm really interested to see if Jeff got any pics of the last drill we did in the class since I felt that was my best example of running the gun fast.

cool pics. Was all that slow fire stuff? Didn't seem like the guns got to hot with all the bare hands out there.

Thanks guys, I think I'll have to try that out next range time and maybe try the AFG as as well.
Awesome Pics forsure.
Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musicman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a stupid "rookie" question?
What's up with the thumb over/on top of the handguard?
I guess I need to change my grip too, everyone seems to have a very loooong grip with their support hand.....I have a hard time not hugging the magwell with my right hand...
Thanks,
Sean </div></div>

Thumb over the top allows the shooter to grab onto the handguard and pull it back into the shoulder. This pulls the gun tight into the shoulder and aids in recoil management and driving the gun.

Read this article and apply the same pricipals to gripping the handguard:

icon-vertical-foregrip-placement.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">03designgroup</span> | <span style="font-weight: bold">Vertical Foregrip Placement </span>

It's all about driving the gun faster and more economically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cool pics. Was all that slow fire stuff? Didn't seem like the guns got to hot with all the bare hands out there. </div></div>

The ONLY time there was any slow fire was during zeroing the guns. Go back and look at some of the pics, often times you will see 2 to 4 pieces of brass in the air.

The only time I've had issues with the handguard getting hot was on hot days when I used a bare aluminum free float tube (like the old VTAC tubes). You'll notice that most shooters have plastic rail covers on their fore ends. I've never had an issue with heat when running rail pannels.

We shot close to 2,000 rounds in 3 days ... slow fire was non existant.

Hope this helps

Jeff, after I posted I went to ur website and read some of the articles/reviews....and read that very one about the vertical grip placement...haha
Thank you for your response and not abusing the dummy..
Sean

I guess i'll try some of those covers. I use a vertical grip most of the time just because to rails get to hot after 3 or 4 mags in. Thanks for the info

In taking the class, I found I needed gloves more for environment than for hot guns. There is a good amount of movement from prone, urban prone and such that if there is brush or rocks that is a reason to wear gloves. I put my hand down on a pile of hot brass. I regretted not having my gloves on.

USMC03,

Thanks for sharing.

I find this stuff interesting because I'm still experimenting with these newer style vertical-grip holds. I'm an old-school chicken choker.

That said, I have one question; how are you able to activate your light in that 3 o'clock position as shown in your pictures? Isn't in uncomfortable to extend your thumb all the way over the top rail? What am I missing?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC03,

Thanks for sharing.

I find this stuff interesting because I'm still experimenting with these newer style vertical-grip holds. I'm an old-school chicken choker.

That said, I have one question; how are you able to activate your light in that 3 o'clock position as shown in your pictures? Isn't in uncomfortable to extend your thumb all the way over the top rail? What am I missing?

Thanks </div></div>

When using a vertical foregrip: I don't go over the top to activate the light. When activating the light, I use the "chicken choker" grip and activate the light with my thumb. I use clicker tail caps, so I'm able to click the light on and leave it on.

Keep in mind that a majority of my work is dynamic entry, click the light on and leave it on. During covert entries or times where i need momentary light, I just adapt my grip to activate the light.

Gear selection / gear placement is often a choice of the lesser of the two evils.

For the last couple years, I haven't been using a vertical foregrip much, and the way I grip the fore end with my hand makes it easy to activate the light.

Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When using a vertical foregrip: I don't go over the top to activate the light. When activating the light, I use the "chicken choker" grip and activate the light with my thumb. I use clicker tail caps, so I'm able to click the light on and leave it on.

Keep in mind that a majority of my work is dynamic entry, click the light on and leave it on. During covert entries or times where i need momentary light, I just adapt my grip to activate the light.

Gear selection / gear placement is often a choice of the lesser of the two evils.

For the last couple years, I haven't been using a vertical foregrip much, and the way I grip the fore end with my hand makes it easy to activate the light.

Hope this helps

</div></div>

USMC03,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still a bit confused. Below is an example photo the setup I see that you are running;

IMG_2196001_copy.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that because you don't need momentary activation, you choose to run the light in the position pictured above?

And in this same position above, you simply reach over and click it on during dynamic entry?

If I have it right so far, you're also saying that when you do need momentary, you simply run a vertical grip? <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Or</span></span> have you evolved a grip that allows momentary activation without a vertical grip? That is what I'd like to clarify, because I considering doing the same thing if possible.

Thank you

Cameron shooting around both sides of a barricade from standing and kneeling:
IMG_2341001_copy.jpg

IMG_2343001_copy.jpg

IMG_2348001_copy.jpg

lowdrag running the same drill with a Leupold MKIV M2 1.5-5x20 and old school Magpul M93 stock:
IMG_2349001_copy.jpg

IMG_2351001_copy.jpg

IMG_2352001_copy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

USMC03,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still a bit confused. Below is an example photo the setup I see that you are running;

IMG_2196001_copy.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that because you don't need momentary activation, you choose to run the light in the position pictured above?

And in this same position above, you simply reach over and click it on during dynamic entry?

If I have it right so far, you're also saying that when you do need momentary, you simply run a vertical grip? <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Or</span></span> have you evolved a grip that allows momentary activation without a vertical grip? That is what I'd like to clarify, because I considering doing the same thing if possible.

Thank you</div></div>

Not ignoring your question ... just extremely busy ... I'll reply in the next day or two.

More of lowdrag shooting around a barricade:

IMG_2353001_copy.jpg

IMG_2354001_copy.jpg

IMG_2355001_copy.jpg

Me shooting around the same barricade, there were several targets down range forcing students to constantly change their positions to be able to see and engage the targets:

IMG_2357001_copy.jpg

IMG_2359001_copy.jpg

IMG_2361001_copy.jpg

Costa shooting a BCM 14.5" Mid-Length with Surefire muzzle brake and prototype Magpul Mid-Length MOE handguards (these handguards have not been released yet, but hopefully we'll see them soon ... they were on display at Magpul's booth at the SHOT Show in January):

IMG_2368001_copy.jpg

IMG_2379001_copy.jpg

IMG_2380001_copy.jpg

IMG_2381001_copy.jpg

IMG_2384001_copy.jpg

IMG_2386001_copy.jpg

glock24,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been extremely busy and just updating the pics daily takes me about 2 hours a day.

You asked about vertical foregrip lighting techniques, and my reply addressed how I activate the light when running a vertical foregrip. How I run a light (or other accessory) <span style="font-weight: bold">with</span> a vertical foregrip may not translate to how I run a light (or other accessory) <span style="font-weight: bold">without</span> a vertical foregrip, and that may be causing some confusion.

My replies are below your questions or comments in blue text.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

USMC03,

IMG_2196001_copy.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that because you <span style="font-weight: bold">don't need momentary activation</span>, you choose to run the light in the position pictured above?

<span style="color: #3333FF">Just to clarify I never said that I "don't need momentary activation", I said: "Keep in mind that <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">a majority</span></span> of my work is dynamic entry, click the light on and leave it on. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">During covert entries <span style="font-style: italic">or times where i need momentary light</span>, I just adapt my grip to activate the light</span></span>."

</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">In the picture above, this is the ONLY light (Laser Devises OV-2) that I use in this position (between 1 and 2 o'clock). The reason is with thi Laser Devises OV-2 light I am limited to mounts I can use for this light (because the end cap is fatter than the body of the light, thus making it not compatable with most of the ring mounts on the market ... most rings are one piece and the entire body has to be the same diameter).

When I'm not running a vertical foregrip, I point my index finger along the 9 o'clock rail ... there are several pics showing my hand position from the left side fo the gun in this thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1949816&page=1 .... due to the way that I grip the fore end (pointing my index finger) I can't run a light on the 9 o'clock rail because the light interfers with the way I grip the fore end. As a result, I mount the light to the 3 o'clock rail.

In this thread I discuss how I activate the light on the gun pictured above (light mounted between 1 and 2 o'clock): http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=467549&page=85

On all of my other guns I have either a Surefire x300 or a Surefire Scout with clicker tail cap mounted at 3 o'clock (mounted on the 3 o'clock rail). In this thread I discuss how I active a light when it's on the 3 o'clock rail: http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/5231012472/p/9 </span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">The ONLY guns I run vertical foregrips on are guns with a carbine length (ie. LaRue 7.0) rail because the rail is too short for me to get a proper grip on (as illistrated above). Hopefully the rest of the information was covered above.</span>

</div></div>

I hope that helps.

Take care and be safe

Its funny i was talking to Chris this morning. Those pics bring back a lot of memories. I have taken pretty much all of Chris' class including Tactical Shotgun and Team Night Tactics and they are all first class. I am at a slight advantage since Chris lives in Jax, FL
smile.gif
He is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge.

DZhitshard shooting a barricade drill with his carbine and transitions to his S&W M&P:

IMG_2388001_copy.jpg

IMG_2389001_copy.jpg

IMG_2391001_copy.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand shooting the same drill with pistol and carbine:

IMG_2392001_copy.jpg

IMG_2394001_copy.jpg

IMG_2395001_copy.jpg

Those pictures are amazing! Great photography.

I took Magpul Carbine I in Houston last year. It was great.

Thanks Jeff. I understand better now. I'm going to give it a try and see if it is for me.

How do we get info on the classes and schedules...

Can ACTIVE LEO get Post Credit as in service training???

I am VERY intersted and have been to several State rifle classes but ALWAYS looking to mix it up a little.

Thanks
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)