• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pig Rig Complete

new_guy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
USA
Well, thanks for all the input guys!

Here is my completed "pig-rig" (lots of hogs around here!)

308.jpg

Remington 5R 308
16.5" barrel
McMillan HTG stock pillar bedded
Williams SS bottom metal
Murphy Ti base
Seekins rings
Trijicon 2.5-10x56
Gemtech Sandstorm suppressor

Re: Pig Rig Complete

Very, very nice. What is the overall length and how does it balance w/ w/o can?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like! You should bust many a swine with that fine piece </div></div>

Let's hope so... my 10-year old godson got this one last Friday, and we're headed back out this weekend.
chris_grant_hog.jpg

The barrel w/suppressor is 23.75" from bolt face to the end of the can.

Balance with the can on is @ 1/2" ahead of the guard screw.

Weight as it sits is 10lb, 3oz.

I'll have to measure the OAL for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's a big pig!! </div></div>

Alot pork in that that one, great pic, good to see the young people getting into the sport.

nowhere near as big as that ole boy, but got this in Georgia. 6.8 was dissapointing exept as a pig gun i've found, knocks em over like a bag o' sheet

pig.jpg

and great lookin pig slayer New guy, keep us up to date on the kill tally!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makin' bacon...
Good shootin' </div></div>

Thanks, he did well. This was his first "big game" kill, and although he was good on paper from the bench, his dad and I were a little concerned how well he might do with a little buck-fever in the field.

We were able to get him set up at about 50-yards from the feeder, and this lone boar came out about an hour before dark with plenty of light left. I was afraid that his little 243 might produce a long tracking job through poison ivy or a lost hog if he was off a little bit, and we didn't want this one to get away from him. Told him to put it in the ear hole, and that's exactly what he did. Bang, flop, DRT.

He was excited, but not nearly as excited as his dad and me.

Hopefully, we've got another one hooked... we need all the young hunters we can get. Organized sports offer a lot of competition to hunting/shooting these days.

Amen to that.
My little girl just turned six and she's itching to sit in a blind this season.
Its always great to get the kids out in the field. Exposing kids to firearms and trianing them with real world experience leads to them respecting firearms and safe handling practices.
Can't get that from an X Box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: new_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks, he did well. This was his first "big game" kill, and although he was good on paper from the bench, his dad and I were a little concerned how well he might do with a little buck-fever in the field.
</div></div>

Ahem... bacon fever.

Its ok. We all get it. In fact, I think you have to turn in your man card if you dont like bacon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: new_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like! You should bust many a swine with that fine piece </div></div>

Let's hope so... my 10-year old godson got this one last Friday, and we're headed back out this weekend.
chris_grant_hog.jpg

The barrel w/suppressor is 23.75" from bolt face to the end of the can.

Balance with the can on is @ 1/2" ahead of the guard screw.

Weight as it sits is 10lb, 3oz.

I'll have to measure the OAL for you. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, I would think it would be right about the length it was from the factory. If I ever shoot out (the throat of) my VS barrel I've considered getting it set back for just this purpose. Not sure if what I would want could be done with it's taper though. Wish you all the best of luck hunting and congrats to grandson.