• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PISTOL BRACE

I think the rule not allowing trusts (unless the trust already possesses the pistol) is because if they did, they’d have to allow the transfer from the individual to the trust. No different than a transfer from a gunshop to a buyer.

They have to prevent that if they want to limit the 120 day tax free grace period to already-owned firearms. They want to prevent guys from registering 20 new lowers each as SBRs during the 120 day grace period tax-free.

The biggest question I have after reading alot of this is what is a legal AR pistol? They say specifically they aren’t banning pistol braces, but under what circumstances can you have a brace on your pistol?
I’m sure there are more, but 2 qualifiers that come to mind immediately are “if the brace does not possess rear surface area that facilitates shouldering” and “if the sighting system is usable when the firearm is not shouldered (for example, pistol style irons or a RMR wit no eye relief restrictions).

I think the rule not allowing trusts (unless the trust already possesses the pistol) is because if they did, they’d have to allow the transfer from the individual to the trust. No different than a transfer from a gunshop to a buyer.

They have to prevent that if they want to limit the 120 day tax free grace period to already-owned firearms. They want to prevent guys from registering 20 new lowers each as SBRs during the 120 day grace period tax-free.

The biggest question I have after reading alot of this is what is a legal AR pistol? They say specifically they aren’t banning pistol braces, but under what circumstances can you have a brace on your pistol?
And didn’t one of those videos point out that moving one of these “free” SBRs into a trust was going to require sending them the actual rifle?

In response to your last question, you can’t. Only if the barrel is 16”, which means it’s a rifle. Yeah they’re not illegal, but if you own an actual pistol and the brace, you may be prosecuted. But like daylight bright Todd said, they’re not interested in law abiding citizens like you, and you can bet your life and freedom on that.

If bare buffer AR pistol is legal, having one would make it illegal to own any other AR with a stock that come off LOfrickenL.
Not exactly. If you have a single SBR lower, you can have eleventy-seven short barrel uppers, so long as all of your non-SBR lowers have corresponding uppers. At least they is my understanding.

Now, you might be caught up in constructive intent if you have an AR pistol with a bare carbine receiver extension and a “parts bin” with a stock in it.

They say the gun has to already be in the trust for it to be registered as a sbr and owned by the trust. How do they know, can’t you add or remove anything you want at any time into or out of a trust without notifying anyone (nfa items excluded).

They say the gun has to already be in the trust for it to be registered as a sbr and owned by the trust. How do they know, can’t you add or remove anything you want at any time into or out of a trust without notifying anyone (nfa items excluded).
It has to be a notarized addition with a date prior to the 13th.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I’m trying to figure out how you prove the weapon was in your trust. I have a real trust (revocable trust set up for my estate) set up by a law firm last year. This is not a gun specific trust but a full blown thirty page trust.

I signed an assignment giving “all my personal property into it including personsal effects, furniture, art, jewelry, firearms, etc.”

So that’s good. But what the hell are they asking for. I didn’t just list shit by serial number or item descriptions. Just said all if it.
Your lawyer (or their paralegal) who instructed you on the specificity of items to listed in the trust is a fucking moron. A trust that just reads "muh erry-thang goes to muh boo-thang" absolutely will not work. For serialized gear, you need the serial numbers denoted.

I'm no lawyer, but I got a specific NFA Trust drafted and the lawyer was very specific on what needed to be in there and why according to assorted case law.

I recommend you seek additional legal counsel for your Trust.

This meets their guidelines, so should pass?
Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 7.40.10 AM.png

No, but he can arrest you for having an illegal weapon. Then you, at your expense, will have to prove it is legal and try to get it back.
So you will have time in jail, bail money and legal fees and they will laugh their ass off about fucking with you.
And after that you use the fee schedule in US code to sue the fuck out of them for the violations of your person amd rights.

IMHO this is a very different time then the 1968 "machine gun amnesty". I was only 3 at the time, but from what I understand it was not uncommon for folk to "trust" the .gov. Some folks took them up on it and it did turn out to be a "real" amnesty. I doubt that will happen again with the way the world is today.

This is a good video on it, worth watching.

Reactions: NoDopes
Good luck with that.
And after that you use the fee schedule in US code to sue the fuck out of them for the violations of your person amd rights.
You can look up how widely the qualified immunity is stretched by the court. Then look up what the average pay out is for a civil rights violation. Here's the real kick in the ass. It's paid for by the taxpayers.

IMHO this is a very different time then the 1968 "machine gun amnesty". I was only 3 at the time, but from what I understand it was not uncommon for folk to "trust" the .gov. Some folks took them up on it and it did turn out to be a "real" amnesty. I doubt that will happen again with the way the world is today.

This is a good video on it, worth watching.

Canada should be the barometer of what intent is among the usurper class for all gun ownership.

Dollars to doughnuts this fits into that plan somehow.

If bare buffer AR pistol is legal, having one would make it illegal to own any other AR with a stock that come off LOfrickenL.

It's not clear that a bare buffer tube is still considered legal in all instances.

They mention that any rearward protrusion with surface area adequate to facilitate shouldering may be enough to consider something an SBR, and specifically include the term buffer tube. Then go on to say if the protrusion is required for the operation of the firearm, other criteria will be used to determine if it is intended to be shoulder fired and thus is an SBR.

So, it's conceivable that something like bare buffer tube + magnified optic would still be considered an SBR.

Administrative rule making at it's finest.

If you are handicap you might get by with it.

Canada should be the barometer of what intent is among the usurper class for all gun ownership.

This is my issue with all this.

Reactions: Romeo458
If you are handicap you might get by with it.

This is my issue with all this.
Because soon enough with continued compliance it will be "You don't need a scope over 5 power to hunt a deer!"

The tools are there to stop this, but we don't take the time to learn them.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Like I posted in the other thread, nobody can really be surprised. The brace thing was always a workaround to SBR due to a loophole they found 10 years ago so it was only a matter of time and I'm surprised it took this long. I've never known or seen a single person actually use the brace in the means that it was "intended".

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
Good luck with that.

You can look up how widely the qualified immunity is stretched by the court. Then look up what the average pay out is for a civil rights violation. Here's the real kick in the ass. It's paid for by the taxpayers.

The courts stretch that to comical lengths.
One judge actually used qualified Immunity to defend a city employee that was impersonating a cop to detain some folks that a local competitor didn't like and wanted pressure put on.

Qualified Immunity is something the crooked courts thought up on their own and needs to be gotten rid of for good.

Good luck with that.

And what will happen if we continue to abide and consent to lawless law creation and enforcement?

Reactions: Doc68
If I leave my brace on I can adopt and keep the current markings on my receiver. If I replace the brace with a stock this no longer applies and I think I will need it to be engraved? Agree er No?

Attachments

• Markings.JPG
    Markings.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 52
If I leave my brace on I can adopt and keep the current markings on my receiver. If I replace the brace with a stock this no longer applies and I think I will need it to be engraved? Agree er No?
The way I read it:
If you register that model and serial # within the 120 days, the factory stamping suffices as a marking and you don’t have to send it to an engraver. None of that hinges on whether you decide to put a stock on it after approval.

No. It reads to me like they are making an exception to the engraving rule in this case only and that once an SBR you can do whatever you want, keep the brace, put on a stock whatever. I am pretty sure in the FAQ they even allude to such. But none of it makes sense to me. I mean some of these I was gonna refinish anyways but if I can get by without having to do so then why wouldn’t I? I think if they stipulate that the brace has to remain on there then they can’t really claim it’s an SBR because if it’s truly an SBR and registered as such then why can you not put a stock on it? They are contradicting themselves in their own rules and it’s confusing as hell, even for us with the knowledge of such things.

Personally, I think it wise to just act like you never had a brace and register and pay the stamp. Why? Because this way you are not implicating yourself in any way and without a doubt can do whatever you want with it by registering as a traditional SBR. There’s too much unknown with this brace bullshit now. Or you could just take your chances and not do anything at all. Imo, this effects so many people that it should be the forefront of any court cases. Last I heard there was supposed to be all kinds of suits dropping today but I haven’t heard any details on any of them actually being dropped.

Last edited:
The way I read it:
If you register that model and serial # within the 120 days, the factory stamping suffices as a marking and you don’t have to send it to an engraver. None of that hinges on whether you decide to put a stock on it after approval.
That’s exactly the way I read it, but it’s not crystal clear cause normally you have to have your name or initials and city/state where it was made (in this case you being the maker, your city/state).

I saw a vid today with a GOA representative talking about using Congressional Review, because it’s an “inexpensive route” to fight this. I have no faith in that route. I too have only heard crickets regarding an actual lawsuit. Hopefully some high powered attorneys are combing through it carefully to make a strong case, and that’s taking some time. This was just made public Friday, so I guess we hurry up and wait.

I saw a vid today with a GOA representative talking about using Congressional Review, because it’s an “inexpensive route” to fight this. I have no faith in that route. I too have only heard crickets regarding an actual lawsuit. Hopefully some high powered attorneys are combing through it carefully to make a strong case, and that’s taking some time. This was just made public Friday, so I guess we hurry up and wait.
Maybe the legal eagles are watching the bump stock cases. If we get a 2A win on that, then the pistol brace should be easier to litigate.

#9 weld and pin suppressor on end, then it meets the length required - thoughts?
this-is-the-way-mandalorian.gif

I have an email into the ATF regarding trusts and SBR.
I want clarification on whether or not, you can still put a pistol or “other“ lower(not previously on a trust) on a trust at all ever, or is it that that we can’t only during this 120 day “free” grace period?
If we can’t put any SBR on the trust at all anymore, that’s huge.
Stop giving them ideas. This is how FRT triggers got on the radar.

"Hey ATF this looks like full auto is this really okay?!"

atf2.gif

They don't get to tell you what property you can put in your trust, LOL

If you bought a pistol and could put it in a trust why wouldn't you be able to do the same with this? They're just saying THEY won't send you a stamp for a trust.

Take it to a Class 3 FFL and start a form 4 for your individual to your trust after you're done kissing the ring.

But for fucks sake don't ask shit like "you're not saying you won't authorize any stamps for trusts anymore, are you?"

Sophisticated Cat 17012023160822.jpg

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
How many lowers can I use 1 brace on to get the free form 1 SBR? I mean, it'll save me a bunch of money to just register every one I have, but I'd need to find a brace first.

I'm still wondering how a tube is safer than a brace. Anything running a standard buffer will still need the tube and could be shouldered.

but that's where I respectfully disagree. As soon as I throw a dangerous stock on I no longer have a stabilizing brace on. This is in reference of question #27 in the ATF's FAQ link. https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/faqfinalrule2021r-08f-correctedpdf/download
Sorry man, I guess I'm still not tracking. Looks to me like these are the registration options if you live in a SBR-friendly state:
  • Register a braced pistol within the 120 days as an individual on the special "final rule" form 1, no $200 tax, skip the engraving, you keep possession of said weapon in its current configuration while you wait on approval. I'm not sure on the legality of immediately replacing the brace with a stock or if you have to wait on approval first.
  • The old way. Register the weapon as an SBR on a traditional form 1 either as a trust or individual (best put a pistol buffer tube or 16" barrel on first), pay $200, get it engraved, wait on approval, once approved, put stock/short barrel on.
I might be way off, do your own research, but this is what it looks like to me so far. It's a damn circus.

Sorry man, I guess I'm still not tracking. Looks to me like these are the registration options if you live in a SBR-friendly state:
  • Register a braced pistol within the 120 days as an individual on the special "final rule" form 1, no $200 tax, skip the engraving, you keep possession of said weapon in its current configuration while you wait on approval. I'm not sure on the legality of immediately replacing the brace with a stock or if you have to wait on approval first.
  • The old way. Register the weapon as an SBR on a traditional form 1 either as a trust or individual (best put a pistol buffer tube or 16" barrel on first), pay $200, get it engraved, wait on approval, once approved, put stock/short barrel on.
I might be way off, do your own research, but this is what it looks like to me so far. It's a damn circus.
I think what you miss is that, its not that they are allowing a one time registration of braced pistols. Reality is, they now, IMMEDIATIALLY, consider your previously braced pistol as an SBR. As such, they are giving you a 120 day grace period to register it. You may as well pull the brace off it today and put a stock on, because you are no less illegal with a brace today than you are with a stock. That's the crazyness of it, the ATF waived their magic wand and declared that you now own an unregistered SBR, and they are giving you 120 days to fix it.

but that's where I respectfully disagree. As soon as I throw a dangerous stock on I no longer have a stabilizing brace on. This is in reference of question #27 in the ATF's FAQ link. https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/faqfinalrule2021r-08f-correctedpdf/download

I think what you miss is that, its not that they are allowing a one time registration of braced pistols. Reality is, they now, IMMEDIATIALLY, consider your previously braced pistol as an SBR. As such, they are giving you a 120 day grace period to register it. You may as well pull the brace off it today and put a stock on, because you are no less illegal with a brace today than you are with a stock. That's the crazyness of it, the ATF waived their magic wand and declared that you now own an unregistered SBR, and they are giving you 120 days to fix it.
Nothing is a done deal yet.

Reactions: AMGtuned and J. W.
I think what you miss is that, it’s not that they are allowing a one time registration of braced pistols. Reality is, they now, IMMEDIATIALLY, consider your previously braced pistol as an SBR. As such, they are giving you a 120 day grace period to register it. You may as well pull the brace off it today and put a stock on, because you are no less illegal with a brace today than you are with a stock. That's the crazyness of it, the ATF waived their magic wand and declared that you now own an unregistered SBR, and they are giving you 120 days to fix it.
You’re saying in their eyes “brace = stock,” so might as well put a stock on it? I see the logic, but don’t forget who is making up the rules. Who knows if they’ll see it the same way. They are known for contradictory BS. What I saw said the brace could be replaced “once the weapon is registered.” Does that mean once the form 1 is submitted or after it’s approved? As to the engraving, I still don’t think it’s needed if it’s registered on the special eform 1 in the 120 day window, but attempting to apply logic to this mess is damn near a lost cause.

You’re saying in their eyes “brace = stock,” so might as well put a stock on it? I see the logic, but don’t forget who is making up the rules. Who knows if they’ll see it the same way. They are known for contradictory BS. What I saw said the brace could be replaced “once the weapon is registered.” Does that mean once the form 1 is submitted or after it’s approved? As to the engraving, I still don’t think it’s needed if it’s registered on the special eform 1 in the 120 day window, but attempting to apply logic to this mess is damn near a lost cause.
If you have an AR-15 with a brace that provides surface area to shoulder, its an SBR now. No less SBR than if it has a stock on it.

The only way I could see owning a braced AR-15 would continue to be a non-SBR would be the following:
1. Assuming the ATF considers bare pistol buffer tubs as Ok (not even sure about this)
2. You used a nylon strap ONLY to wrap around your forearm that was attached to the pistol buffer.

The above configuration, from my understanding of reading what they wrote, would be the only chance of having a braced pistol not now be considered an SBR. But....I'm not even convinced they would allow even this.

If you have an AR-15 with a brace that provides surface area to shoulder, its an SBR now. No less SBR than if it has a stock on it.

The only way I could see owning a braced AR-15 would continue to be a non-SBR would be the following:
1. Assuming the ATF considers bare pistol buffer tubs as Ok (not even sure about this)
2. You used a nylon strap ONLY to wrap around your forearm that was attached to the pistol buffer.

The above configuration, from my understanding of reading what they wrote, would be the only chance of having a braced pistol not now be considered an SBR. But....I'm not even convinced they would allow even this.
And, if your sights are unusable except when the firearm is shouldered, you may have a SBR, regardless of what is hanging off the back end…

How much area is needed to shoulder it? Do pistol buffer tubes need to be pointy now?

I mean, if they're handing out free sbr stamps I have a pile of Anderson lowers.

How much area is needed to shoulder it? Do pistol buffer tubes need to be pointy now?

I mean, if they're handing out free sbr stamps I have a pile of Anderson lowers.
Surely the ATF has a way to cross reference the original configuration of the firearm on the application, right? 😒 (Was the firearm initially sold as a pistol?) I mean, otherwise they have opened a giant hole where individuals can pour an untold number of receivers in order to obtain “free tax stamps.” Shirley, someone thought about this…

Do not disagree, that little puke up there is a real bit of work.

Reactions: BCP
Surely the ATF has a way to cross reference the original configuration of the firearm on the application, right? 😒 (Was the firearm initially sold as a pistol?) I mean, otherwise they have opened a giant hole where individuals can pour an untold number of receivers in order to obtain “free tax stamps.” Shirley, someone thought about this…

Every lower I've ever bought was "other". I've never bought a complete pistol. I'd venture to guess a ton of braced pistols started the same way.

Do you take possession of suppressors or SBRs when you file or when approved?
Not sure if that was rhetorical or not because there are a lot of basic NFA questions getting asked, but traditionally you take possession or complete the SBR build when approved. But in this case, you already have possession of what they deem to be a SBR, so… 🤷‍♂️