• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Piston conversion and appropriate buffer and spring

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
This is just a toy I put together from parts out of curiosity. I put an Adams Arms adjustable Piston kit with a low-mass bolt carrier on a 300 blackout with a 16" barrel. What's the best buffer and spring choice? Stay with a Sprinco standard white, move up? Go to a heavier buffer? It cycles but it's fast, real fast. Currently, I'm testing using 125gr FMJ at about 2200fps.
Hopefully, someone here can give me guidance.

This is just a toy I put together from parts out of curiosity. I put an Adams Arms adjustable Piston kit with a low-mass bolt carrier on a 300 blackout with a 16" barrel. What's the best buffer and spring choice? Stay with a Sprinco standard white, move up? Go to a heavier buffer? It cycles but it's fast, real fast. Currently, I'm testing using 125gr FMJ at about 2200fps.
Hopefully, someone here can give me guidance.

Did you try adjusting the amount of gas yet? I personally like a heavier BCG / buffer with full power loads. Lighter springs also seem to reduce reliability. I'd personally leave a standard spring and go for a heavy buffer. Also reduce the amount of gas (if you haven't already) if it seems overgassed.

Everything I put together these days gets a Tubbs or SI Flatwire spring and a V7 buffer.

It has a 5-position adjustable gas system. I guess I'll start with a standard spring an H2 buffer and the gas on the lowest setting. I'll move the gas up one notch each time until I get it to lock back.
Then I guess I'll see what an H3 buffer does?

I'm not familiar with a V7 buffer. Can you explain?

Reactions: JS8588
I've got one of these. https://heavybuffers.com/antitilt223.html It looks like a gimmick but the tail does lock into the back of the bolt carrier and stops the carrier from tilting. Although Adams claims theirs don't tilt. You can open it up and fill it with tungsten, steel or Delrin blocks.
I thought, what the hell...it seems to work.

Reactions: JS8588