• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistons, springs, buffers

Valkyrie1776

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2022
Wisconsin
I have a 224 Valkyrie that I want to upgrade.
I run a supressor on it, and I have the SA adjustable gas block.
I’m still getting a LOT of carbon in the receiver and BCG.
So, I’d like to install a piston conversion kit.
And for fun, I’d like to get a captured spring buffer like the Stealth or JP.

Here’s my question.

How do know what weight buffer to run?
If I use a low mass carrier, do I change the buffer? Does a lighter buffer mean more gas, less gas?

I can’t seem to find answers (or “formulas”) to help me out together a system.

For the less common cartridges, I'd contact the piston kit manufacturer. They might not be able to recommend a specific SCS, but should at least give you a buffer weight, which you can then convert to the appropriate SCS. You might want to also verify with JP after the piston kit mfg recommendation. It might take more time getting a response to your questions, but will probably pay off in the long run.

Reactions: Valkyrie1776
I have a 224 Valkyrie that I want to upgrade.
I run a supressor on it, and I have the SA adjustable gas block.
I’m still getting a LOT of carbon in the receiver and BCG.
So, I’d like to install a piston conversion kit.
And for fun, I’d like to get a captured spring buffer like the Stealth or JP.

Here’s my question.

How do know what weight buffer to run?
If I use a low mass carrier, do I change the buffer? Does a lighter buffer mean more gas, less gas?

I can’t seem to find answers (or “formulas”) to help me out together a system.

I mean, what is “a lot of carbon”. Cause a suppressor is always gonna put more carbon in your shit.

An AGB isn’t a fix all, have you played with buffer weight and springs to slow the bolt opening?

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I mean, what is “a lot of carbon”. Cause a suppressor is always gonna put more carbon in your shit.

An AGB isn’t a fix all, have you played with buffer weight and springs to slow the bolt opening?
I haven’t done that, because I’m honestly not sure where to start. As much as I actually do know about AR’s there’s a obviously a lot that I don’t.
Most buffers I see just have letters, not weights. I don’t know what mine would be, but I can obviously weight it.

Reactions: MarshallDodge

I haven’t done that, because I’m honestly not sure where to start. As much as I actually do know about AR’s there’s a obviously a lot that I don’t.
Most buffers I see just have letters, not weights. I don’t know what mine would be, but I can obviously weight it.

Also, when I say a lot of carbon. After 100 rounds at the range, my rifle is dirtier than my M4/M16 ever was in the army, EVER.