• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Places to shoot in NC

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I have been having a hard time finding places to shoot my 308. I like to shoot at paper, steel, balloons whatever. The longer the distance to better. Does anyone know of a good range or place to shoot? I cant find a range around me for anything.

I live in winston salem and wouldnt mind shooting with other people, if I cant find a decent spot to shoot this hobby may be short lived.

Re: Places to shoot in NC

try the Eastern NOrth Carolina Gun Range, they have reactive pistol targets, skeet, 25, 50, 100, 275, and i believer they are working on a 400 yd range. it's in Goldsboro, Kent the owner, and all the range officers are good guys. If you need any questions answered Tim is the guy to ask.... now with that said, Tim is kinda "out there" but he's a good guy, i'm pretty sure that they have a website.

Where are you in NC?

You can shoot F-class at Camp Butner (north of Durham). See the NCRPA page.

This place is supposed to be building a 1000yd range.
http://www.drakelanding.net/home.html

There is talk of another 600yrd range as well.

I've read about a nice 1000yd range in Hickory.

I know this place has a rifle range. But it think it's only 200 yds.

https://rcwanc.com/Home_Page.php

Great club for shotguns. I think there is a good range between WS and Asheville. I would check out accurateshooter.com for match reviews.

Yadkin Valley Sportsmans Club (YVSC) - Pinnacle, NC - 15 min from Winston
Piedmont Handgunners Club (PHA) - Churchland, NC - 25 min from Winston
Rockingham County Gun Club (RCGC) - Ruffin, NC - 30 min from Winston
Duncan Guns - North Wilkesboro, NC - 65 min from Winston

If you want to stretch it out some, there's always NSSC out at Camp Butner. Actually, NCRPA is putting on the NC Mid-Range State Championship there next weekend (one week from today). We'll shoot at 300, 500 & 600 yards during that match.

Also, there's a new 1,000 range/club in the works now near Mebane. It'll still be a while before it's open though.

Now if you looking to light up some tannerite, you need to get active in one of these clubs and get to know someone who has a farm and likes to blow $hit up. Thanks AG ;>).

Good luck, and if you need any help tracking these dow just let me know.

Cool. I was hoping there was a range within an hour of me that was more than a few hundred yards.

Captain- There's also an Appleseed range in Ramseur... pretty close to you. I haven't made it over there yet but it has pop-ups out to 500yds.

In July there is a comp at Camp Butner where there will be pop-ups out to 1200.

Butner should be under 2 hrs from Winston... I can get to Butner in about 3 hrs and I live near Lake Norman.

Don't let a little bit of driving get in your way... buy an ipod and have fun with the driving
smile.gif

The Marine Corps has ranges all up and down the I-17 in Onslow county just drive out and shoot at one of them. If they don't want you to shoot a range master will come out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps has ranges all up and down the I-17 in Onslow county just drive out and shoot at one of them. If they don't want you to shoot a range master will come out. </div></div>

That sounds like a GREAT idea! You would be stupid to try this!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Captain- There's also an Appleseed range in Ramseur... pretty close to you. I haven't made it over there yet but it has pop-ups out to 500yds.

In July there is a comp at Camp Butner where there will be pop-ups out to 1200.

Butner should be under 2 hrs from Winston... I can get to Butner in about 3 hrs and I live near Lake Norman.

Don't let a little bit of driving get in your way... buy an ipod and have fun with the driving
smile.gif
</div></div>

I have been out to the range in ramsuer. They wernt too happy with me being there. Its pretty much a private range that hosts matches on the weekends.

Yeah getting your ass kicked by a couple of marines sounds like a great way to spend the weekend shooting

hey man, there's also hawks ridge in wilkes county. takes me about 1.5 hrs to get to winston from my dad's house; which is about 4 min from the range. hawks is a 1000 yard range, i haven't got out there yet, but i'm planning to soon. pm me your number and i'll get you some more info.

I'm from wilkes and pretty sure that hawks ridge is closed. I sent his son a message to ask him and confirm this so i will let ya know when he does

it is closed to competitions but it is still open to random shooters from what i'm told...don't know that for a fact though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beergoggles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is closed to competitions but it is still open to random shooters </div></div> This would be very cool to know if it's true or not... I'm only about an hour away

Id like conformation on where this range is, (phone number, address?) and if its open. Too far to drive without knowing anything about the place.

Not having so much luck with his son writing me back. Hopefully you will be able to find something out i would like to know as well. really been wanting to stretch the legs on my 5r. I just thought his range was closed down though.

Guys,

Check out our website. I have Matches and Classes in NC all the time.

If you want something not listed contact me and we can make it happen.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps has ranges all up and down the I-17 in Onslow county just drive out and shoot at one of them. If they don't want you to shoot a range master will come out. </div></div>

Seriously ?!?!? hahahahaha ............... hahahahaha ok seriously ?!?!?!?

what's up john, this is doc borders. wish i could make it down to the competition on the 22nd; but the family, friends, and i are headed to cape hatteras. i've been working on this 250, i believe i could put a spanking on glenn now. <----not hardly. hope you guys have a good turn out for the match.

Just got a message from brandon the son of the one who owns hawk ridge. He said the range is closed for competitions right now but they do still let people shoot there. I messaged him back for some more info and will pass it along as soon as i get it.

it's in Ferguson

you're in winston........i know of a private range in lewisville. it's only 200yds, but it's completely private. my brother in law's father owns it (it's out behind his house)

savage072.jpg

savage062.jpg

savage064.jpg

savage065.jpg

savage067.jpg

savage055.jpg

savage056.jpg

savage051.jpg

savage050.jpg

savage049.jpg

url]

url]

url]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a message from brandon the son of the one who owns hawk ridge. He said the range is closed for competitions right now but they do still let people shoot there. I messaged him back for some more info and will pass it along as soon as i get it. </div></div>

Any more info on Hawks Ridge?

Nope not yet. I need to get his phone number. Messaging through facebook sucks because i dont think he signs on that much

I was hoping to get out to a range saturday, is this place open? Does it have an address?

I don't know what days its open maybe someone will chime in that has more info than me. I haven't been there but one time and that was years ago. Like i said his son said they don't hold competitions anymore but still shoot some. Don't know if he means its still open to the public or invitation only. Still waiting on a reply. I googled and tried to find an address the owner is Mike Mcneil he's a chicken farmer and his range is in ferguson.

I would wait till some solid information comes in. I don't recommend showing up at the guys house with no invitation not knowing if he allows the public to shoot or not. Try to google some information on the range and maybe you can find someone who knows the guy. I just went to school with his son and have only been to the range once. I'm not in tight with the family or anything like that. I'm sure you can find someone who used to compete there and find more info.

Anything in western NC ? The only place I can find listed is Asheville pistol/riffle club. It is private though and only has 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would wait till some solid information comes in. I don't recommend showing up at the guys house with no invitation not knowing if he allows the public to shoot or not. Try to google some information on the range and maybe you can find someone who knows the guy. I just went to school with his son and have only been to the range once. I'm not in tight with the family or anything like that. I'm sure you can find someone who used to compete there and find more info. </div></div>

drb5r- The weekly question... any news on Hawks Ridge? Thanks!

No news, sorry guys. Haven't heard anything from his son. I'm starting to guess they only let friends of the family shoot but who knows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, there's a new 1,000 range/club in the works now near Mebane. It'll still be a while before it's open though.
</div></div>

Any news on this?

Or the hawks ridge range?

Captain. I used to be a member of Hawk's Ridge and shot 1000yd BR there. Chances are good unless you know Mike personally you can forget shooting there. Always people who are a friend of a cousin of a friend that can get you in to shoot, good luck with that. The range is closed. If you want to get to know some people that know places to shoot, you have to meet them at matches and such. We shoot several matches at CVRPC in Conover NC. We have F-Class, High Power, IHMSA, and 22 Tactical Steel Challenge. We ahve 300yds available and it is a private club but the matches are open to the public and we are taking new members.
You can visit our website: www.cvrp.org
And here is a link to our TSC match: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2390014#Post2390014
Steve will be posting the new info for 2012 after Thursday.
We have meetings on the 1st Thursday night of every month at 7PM The meeting is open to prospective members.
If you have any questions or would like to talk further send me a PM and I can give you my contact info.
Joe

Thanks, I have looked at f class and other competition matches but Id like to learn my way around before I spend money competing ect. I cant see myself entering a competing without knowing anything about precision shooting.

I live in the Burlington area. The closest ranges are all membership only at least to practice on. They have at least a year wait to be considered for membership.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I have looked at f class and other competition matches but Id like to learn my way around before I spend money competing ect. I cant see myself entering a competing without knowing anything about precision shooting. </div></div>

The best way to learn precision shooting is to play the games. Not trying to be smart but you won't learn precision shooting by reading on the Hide and watching videos. No offense to Lowlight. We are laid back and friendly at Conover and you aren't likely to find a more cordial bunch to teach you the ropes. Some of us are pretty good and you could certainly do worse for teachers. We aren't going to treat you like an idiot, I promise. The best way to become proficient is to shoot in some comps. I know you bought a 22 rifle so get it together and bring it to Conover in March, I promise you will have fun and for a maximum of $20 ($10 match proper,$5 teams,$5 Gauntlet side match: not required to shoot teams or side match, that is optional) you can't beat the price. Hell you may actually win some money, we pay cash. If you show some aptitude I guarantee there are some guys that will loan you their $3000 rig to shoot the course. We like to win but we like to see shooters grow into bonafide riflemen too.
I do have to ask, and please don't think I am poking at you, if you don't have enough experience with a precision rifle to shoot an F-Class match or shoot in a 22 competition, why are you trying to find somewhere to shoot 1000yds? Come get to know us, shoot with us, learn to walk before you fly and we may know a place or two you can go shoot 1000yds with us. You aren't going to find many places that will let a stranger drive up and fling bullets at 1000yd targets.
Joe

For your information after that stunt Federal Court appearance will be in New Bern or Wilmington for trespassing, and they really frown on having rifles on base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do have to ask, and please don't think I am poking at you, if you don't have enough experience with a precision rifle to shoot an F-Class match or shoot in a 22 competition, why are you trying to find somewhere to shoot 1000yds? </div></div>

Thanks joe.

Im just a perfectionist. The word "competition" comes off pretty serious. I just like to be informed and prepared. I can learn alot by myself using books and the Internets if I have a place where I can experiment.

Ill check it out though.

The TSC match Joe invited you to is well worth the effort and time spent. Lots of great guys with a wealth of knowledge and eager to share tips for various skill levels. Yes you can learn alot from the web and books but nothing like hands on. I assure you that if you attend one match you will be hooked and hungry for more. Come on out in March as Joe invited you and see what you think. The long range game requires alot of acreage and I have found that the best way to aquire acreage is to aquire friends that share like interest. I have 900 yards within an hour of you but speaking for myself as well as many others nobody gets an invitation until they have earned my trust by proving themselves responsible on the range and comps is the place to meet and build relationships with other shooters. Not saying your not a great guy with a high regard for firearm safety and repect for others property at all, just saying thier are some bad apples in the sport and most guys are not willing to risk loosing a high valued piece of property to shoot on by making a bad decision to bring someone they have never met out for a shooting session. Take advantage of Joes hospitality and see where it gets you, you may get lucky and learn something and find a few places to try out what you learned.

Barry

I just did a search on a benchrest forum and saw that there was a club meeting for Hawk's Ridge on Feb 5th. No news on the outcome but the gentleman organizing the meeting is intending to get matches going there again. Sounds like there is definitely something positive stirring.

I didn't make the meeting but Hawks Ridge will again be holding 1000 yd. <span style="font-weight: bold">benchrest</span> matches. You can forget about shooting steel or anything else there. The range crosses two family members property. You shoot from one hill to another with only a 500 yd. bump in the middle. With chicken houses and livestock between you and the target area shooting anything but 1K yds is out of the question.

Here's the latest copied from the Benchrest Central website:

Well, we have news, good news. I think we comfortably reached "critical mass".

There is a new club at Hawks Ridge. Thirty seven people came to Hawks Ridge Range this afternoon and formed the Hawks Ridge Gun Club for the purpose of conducting 1000 yard Benchrest Matches.

Business included the introduction of everyone in attendance to the group, the decision to organize, adoption of rules, selection of officers, identification of work dates, determination of dues and match fees, awards and setting match dates.

My favorite part was introductions. It was a reunion with lots of previously unknown family members coming for the first time. Joy.

So here is what we decided:

Work days are the first and second Saturdays of March. Rakes, shovels, weed eater, hammers, and probably a wheelbarrow are the order of the day.

Rules adopted are IBS 1000 yard Benchrest Rules in their entirety, plus a Factory Class that permits bedding, trigger adjustment and the addition of muzzle brakes.

Membership dues are $50 per family and includes any number of shooting family members.

Match fees are $15 per gun for members and $20 per gun for future members. Please join us.

Awards are plaques for match winners ( LG, HG, Factory for group and score) and pins for relay winners.

Match dates are the third and fifth Saturdays of each month beginning March 31, 2012 and finishing October 20, 2012 for a total of ten (10) matches for the season. Rain dates will be scheduled as needed, probably as a two match Saturday the subsequent match date. There was also discussion of a possible Fun Night Match to possibly follow one of the regular matches and a legendary Hawks Ridge cookout. We'll figure that out later.

The range will be open for members and guests from dawn till dusk Mondays through non-match Saturdays and from noon till dusk on Sundays.

Thanks to everyone who came today and got our new adventure airborne.

EVERYONE is welcome and invited to share a great range, a great shooting experience and the great hospitality that Hawks Ridge is renown for.

One sad note. Linda will not be available to cook for us. Tough act to follow but we are conducting a search and are open to suggestions. Linda, your double cheeseburgers made me the man I am today. Thanks, they gave a shy man strength to do what needed to be done. You and the cheeseburgers are missed.

Let's Shoot!

Greg

I'm glad they got things organized. I've never been there but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. I think I can convert any of my AICS or TRG stocks into BR... not interested in being competitive against anyone but myself but I am looking forward to learning some accuracy tips from the pros and see which ones translate into the field shooting games.

anyone got something closer to the Fayetteville area? I don't need 1000 yd but something longer than 100 yd would be appreciated (300-500 yd range?). I've gotta find a place to stretch my new gun's legs.

Thanks in advance.

Range 37 and Cross Creek Gun Club both have stuff past 100yds I think. Give them a look.

Then there's Camp Butner up near Raleigh.