• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate Carrier (Looking to buy)

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking for a good plate carrier. Wanting it mainly to have my gear on, just in case.... so Im not having to tote mags and shit around seperatly.

SO far, spartan armor seems to be pretty good, I've looked at shellback, but they're a lot more money..

What do I need to be looking at/for?

I like my shellback A LOT. As far as plates, the tactical scorpion level 3+ PE plates are the best buy imo. Protection level+ weight of plate + cost- I don't think the scorpion plates can be beat.

PE gets shredded with M885, which is very common. Not a smart idea.

They are also 1" thick which is way to much especially if you go ICW.

The L210 is a much better plate for less money and the U210 is even better.

Nothing like a non certified plate being tested by a jackass on youtube getting paid to push this shit.

PE plates are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than just about everything else. If they were a viable option, they would be used much more frequently than they are by people who wear plates for a living.

They aren't, they don't stop expected threats and this one, is not even certified.

It be like buying a parachute from Harbor Freight and telling people I didn't die, so you should do it.

Being certified is not the same as saying it complies with NIJ. Anyone can say they comply. Its legal speak for saying we aren't certified but makes low IQ people think its something it is not.

Nothing like a non certified plate being tested by a jackass on youtube getting paid to push this shit.

PE plates are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than just about everything else. If they were a viable option, they would be used much more frequently than they are by people who wear plates for a living.

They aren't, they don't stop expected threats and this one, is not even certified.

It be like buying a parachute from Harbor Freight and telling people I didn't die, so you should do it.

Being certified is not the same as saying it complies with NIJ. Anyone can say they comply. Its legal speak for saying we aren't certified but makes low IQ people think its something it is not.
    Fair enough I guess. I have Steel as well but steel is heavy and there's been several jackasses on YouTube testing these plates so I feel pretty good about them. To each his own. Being able to move well is important to me because I want to avoid getting hit with anything, plate or not, and I feel that my being able to move well is something that factors into my decision on what to run. There's some decent ceramic out there with level 4 ratings but the extra couple of pounds each plate is more than I want to add unless I knew for sure I was going against something only level 4 would stop.

They need to change the ratings so they can have a "3+" type rating. I know a few guys that run these plates "for a living" . Former Frog men mostly. They've tested em out themselves and so I feel good about them but your point is fair enough by me.

The Marine Corps did some comparison testing on quality for the money... top two pics for them were the Rogue 5.11 and then the top two from Crye.. you pay a bit more for the Crye with certain functional features, but the top price performer was the Rogue..