• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate Carrier Recommendation

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a set of LVLIII plates (10"x12", 6"x8") and I also have a set of large ABA LVLII soft armor that could be used as backers. I'm 6'5", 47" chest, and 40" naval. I'm looking for recommendations for a lo-pro, lightweight carrier that won't break the bank. I would prefer 8 molle spacing across the bottom-front, but can make do with 6. Doesn't have to be quick release, but easy to get on and off. I would like the PC to ride high enough to not interfere with a belt setup.

I'd like to know what PCs y'all have tried, settled on and why. Pictures of your setup would be a bonus.

Thanks,
Mike

I use an SKD PIG. It's very light, slim, and doesn't mess with using a belt. I also use an HSGI Suregrip belt. I've used Interceptors, MTVs, and Eagle plate carriers, and this is by far the most comfortable.

PIG Plate Carrier

Very nice and clean setup Shay. How many of you actually use side plates? That's one of my biggest hangups before deciding. Since I already have the side plates it's hard to put them away.

It all depends on how you want to balance protection vs manoeuvrability/weight. I think side plates are a good option, but there are times when you won't need them, so pick a plate carrier that's modular enough to support side plates or just chest/back. I ran a RAV and PC in OIF III, but we didn't have side plates as an option back then. The PC was all about being lighter on your feet and less bulky overall, ideal for speed or being in a more permissive environment. These days there are quite a few PCs that have a cummerbund for side plates and additional pouches and you'll get the most versatility out of a rig that has the sides as an option.

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a set of LVLIII plates (10"x12", 6"x8") and I also have a set of large ABA LVLII soft armor that could be used as backers. I'm 6'5", 47" chest, and 40" naval. I'm looking for recommendations for a lo-pro, lightweight carrier that won't break the bank. I would prefer 8 molle spacing across the bottom-front, but can make do with 6. Doesn't have to be quick release, but easy to get on and off. I would like the PC to ride high enough to not interfere with a belt setup.

I'd like to know what PCs y'all have tried, settled on and why. Pictures of your setup would be a bonus.

Thanks,
Mike

Take a look at TYR Tactical's PICO. It can go from bare bones PC to a standard armor set up just by adding/swapping out a few pieces. Also make sure you know what kind of cut your plates are, the TYR website shows you the differences.

TYR Tactical - Plate Carrier, Body Armor, Tactical Gear, Tactical Armor

To balance protection vs maneuverability/weight - I plan on running the side plates for added protection while sacrificing the weight of a few mags. Depending on the molle spacing, either a triple pouch or two side-by-sides. So, with 3-4 on the PC, 1-2 on the belt, and one in the gun - is that a sufficient amount of ammo?

And to not get off topic, I'm having a hard time choosing between the PIG, Banshee, Mayflower APC, and Ares Aspis. Are there any comparable PCs that I've failed to mention?

I really like my London Bridge Trading Company plate carrier. Their website is very detailed and they are VERY helpful over the phone. I was very surprised by their customer service, even after the sale. They took a return due to sizing issues and exchange it for the perfect size for me.

I really like my London Bridge Trading Company plate carrier. Their website is very detailed and they are VERY helpful over the phone. I was very surprised by their customer service, even after the sale. They took a return due to sizing issues and exchange it for the perfect size for me.

Thank you sir. I will check them out.

Very nice and clean setup Shay. How many of you actually use side plates? That's one of my biggest hangups before deciding. Since I already have the side plates it's hard to put them away.

I have side plates, don't use em. The PIG can take 6x6 side plates in the standard cumberbund. Save the pennies, the PIG is worth it.

Check out LBT (London Bridge Trading Co.). I have one of their 6094B and love it. I'm a lot smaller than you at 6'0, 170-175. I've used steel plates just for working out and for shits and giggles as well as the much lighter new stuff and it was all very comfortable. I worked with guys that were bigger than you and rocked the same carrier, they also seemed to really like it. Excellent quality and they will back their product as any company should.

side plates are a waste. ditch em.

Tyr Pico all the way. Get stand alone plates and ditch the backers.

I run my Tyr with the Mystery Ranch Base Frame and its the most functional/comfortable set up Ive ever run.

PIG for max comfort. Mayflower APC (or a slick PC)for max low pro. I also vote for soft armor only in the cbun. Honestly, side plates really don't add that much protection to your vitals.

all depends on why you want it, whats the use? If it's to look super badass at the local airsoft tournement than thats one thing, if your Mil than your limited on what you're given, if you're LEO than whats the acceptable weight and how manueverable do you wanna be, how long at a given time will you have to wear it? If it's for the zombie apocolypse than duct tape the plates to your head, wear a yoke on yer junk, and wrap a cumberbun around yer neck.

If you suggest ditching sideplates or say you dont use them you're probably not one that has worn body armor hoping it could help save your life, no offense to anyone here. Sideplates, if worn correctly, do nothing to detract from manueverability. The only drawback is weight, again refer to what do you want this for?

Honestly, side plates really don't add that much protection to your vitals.

this is completely incorrect. I will say though, this statement coming from what I can assume is a police officer is sadly understandable. A LEO's biggest threat is gunfire, to which I could maybe understand that statement, but to the rest, the bigger threat is blasts, to which sideplates are worth their weight in gold

I have an SKD PIG with the FirstSpear cummerbund, soft armor in the cummerbund and behind my ESAPI plates, I have but don't bother wearing the side plates. What I'm doing and the current threats where I'm at really don't justify the added discomfort of the side plates. I don't think anyone on the team wears them any more. I have four TACOs on my carrier on the front, two stacked so I can also have my MBTR pouch in the front for easy switching nets, none of this impedes me in any way of accessing my mags or pistol on my battle belt, although unit SOP is to have an IFAK on the left side of the body armor, big bulky Condor POS that does nothing but get in the way of one of my rifle mags on the belt and snags on stuff all the time. I have a second IFAK, the original one (HSGI) mounted on the belt right behind my pistol. to me that's a more ideal location.

I'm a smaller guy than the OP and the pig isn't huge on me, but it ideally could be smaller given my stature, probably better for a bigger guy, I run small plates front and back.

T3 or Mayflower are both well made and really well priced. I also use Crye Precision cause the money don't matter. Cage plus Blast Belt with 6x6 side plates and Crye's moulded Ceradyne shoulder plates give very good III to IV coverage. Check out Agilite if the mood strikes you.

Last edited:
Tyr or Crye are the only way to go for plate carriers. I personally run the Pico from Tyr and can not say enough good about it. You get what you pay for and this is definitely worth the money.

+1 for London Bridge Trading Co. They are U.S.-based with high quality gear, great customer service, lifetime warranty, good prices, and always have 10% Mil/LE discounts. They actually have 20% off for Mil/LE sale going on right now which sucks for me but good for you. Go to their home page for the 20% off sale info.

I just picked one of these plate carriers up from them and would have run me $300 with discount shipped overseas. Very comfortable, way more dexterity than my OCIE kit, and accepts side armor:
Modular Medium Plate Carrier - Plate Carriers - Vests, H Gear & Carriers | London Bridge Trading Inc., Ltd.

+1 for London Bridge Trading Co. They are U.S.-based with high quality gear, great customer service, lifetime warranty, good prices, and always have 10% Mil/LE discounts. They actually have 20% off for Mil/LE sale going on right now which sucks for me but good for you. Go to their home page for the 20% off sale info.

I just picked one of these plate carriers up from them and would have run me $300 with discount shipped overseas. Very comfortable, way more dexterity than my OCIE kit, and accepts side armor:
Modular Medium Plate Carrier - Plate Carriers - Vests, H Gear & Carriers | London Bridge Trading Inc., Ltd.

That's a really good deal, thanks McCrazy for pointing that out.

Can you LBT6094 users post pictures of how the cumberbun secures in the front and of the plate pockets?

I can probably get those pictures for you for you tonight. It is all very heavy duty Velcro. I have never had issues with it.

PIG for max comfort. Mayflower APC (or a slick PC)for max low pro. I also vote for soft armor only in the cbun. Honestly, side plates really don't add that much protection to your vitals.

I can thin of two very very good friends of mine who are fortunately, still alive to argue that with you, thanks to side plates.

If you suggest ditching sideplates or say you dont use them you're probably not one that has worn body armor hoping it could help save your life, no offense to anyone here.

Yeah, no.

Overseas, I wore either just front and back or none at all depending where I was (Afghanistan and Iraq). Over here, same thing, in LE.

Yeah, no.

Overseas, I wore either just front and back or none at all depending where I was (Afghanistan and Iraq). Over here, same thing, in LE.

bet you don't wear a seatbelt either do ya, cause thats just not cool. One day luck will run out, but you do you, I'm not arguing with you about how you roll

That's a really good deal, thanks McCrazy for pointing that out.

Can you LBT6094 users post pictures of how the cumberbun secures in the front and of the plate pockets?

If you have the NRA Line of Duty membership ($25 a year), the discount is 35%.

Last edited:
After some help from Shane on here and talking to Kevin and Sam up at LBT I got squared away with a 6094C. The customer service up at LBT is top notch. Can't wait to get my carrier in and will be doing business with them in the future. Thanks to everyone on here for your help.

After some help from Shane on here and talking to Kevin and Sam up at LBT I got squared away with a 6094C. The customer service up at LBT is top notch. Can't wait to get my carrier in and will be doing business with them in the future. Thanks to everyone on here for your help.

Am glad to see you went with the LBT 6094. There were a lot of good suggestions here but I am sure the LBT will make you happy.

Yeah, no.

blackhawk down much, freaking genius... fags like you gets studs like me killed when I have to go in and save your dumbasses...

oh, by the way, my massive latissimus dorsi and external oblique muscles are my side plates, so suck it!

Instead of starting a whole new topic figure I'd just ask here.

I am looking at building a vest that will used primarily as a active shooter vest that I can grab and put on fast that will go over my uniform and level 3A concealable armor. I am sure there will be some occassions that I might cross train / ride out with one of our tact units and will need to be able to change the layout for mission specifics.

I like the ease of use and quickness of the First Spear Tubes system. I am just debating between the Strandhögg SAPI Cut Plate Carrier ( FirstSpear, LLC :: Platforms :: Vests :: Strandhögg SAPI Cut Plate Carrier ) and the STT Plate Carrier ( FirstSpear STT Plate Carrier, SKD Exclusive )

Has anyone had experience with one or the other or both that could give some feedback.

I have Mayflower plate carriers. I like their LPAAC and LPAC personally. They can be concealed if you want and you can add soft backers to them as well depending on the cut.

Just curious, of the people that offered advise what is your profession past or present that warrants any sort of armor?

SKD, Mayflower, London Bridge, ETC.

Ive worn a lot of carriers, most comes down to what features you want or need, IE quick detach or the need for side plates. I prefer carriers that have cumberbuns due to them moving with my body vs bouncing against it while running. I also like having the ability to put things on my weak side, like pouches or mags. I would determine what you need on your vest, like number of mags, utility pouches, medical pouches, bangs, smoke, or whatever you will need. Then look at the carriers that fit the bill for you.

Just saw those old Shaggy post, what a cock sucking liar. Poser

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I have a TAG Banshee. It can be run with or without a cumberbund/side plates, and is low-pro. It is also quite a bit cheaper than Crye and the likes. I can't say enough good about it. I'm a slim 6'2", but it comfortably holds the plates for me. I go running with it all the time and I have no complaints about comfort or anything like that.

Last edited: