• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate Carrier vs Vest

Before I make someone feel personally attacked, let me just start by saying, to each his own. That being said I don’t have a problem with steel plates. I’ve used both steel and ceramic for different employers and my current setup that stays in my truck is an Anti-spalling carrier with front and rear anti-spalling coated steel plates.

My basic thought process is this. The average person is not going to be hiking through The draws and spurs of some rough ass country and, unless you make it a point to train with your setup that you put your faith in, you probably won’t don your gear unless setting it up or some SHTF. So I’ll give a little wiggle room and say that unless you train with your setup, it won’t see use 98 percent of the time, probably more.

So that being said, why not use a little bit heavier steel plates for the brief time that your average person is going to need it? And by all means, if you think they would be too cumbersome for you then step into some soft armor if nothing else and please be safe in any way you can. BUT I promise you the steel plates are going to be more effective for the AVERAGE persons encounters they would be needed in.

If nothing else, like OP is considering, get both.But no matter which you choose, do yourself a favor and get out and run some courses at your local range and push yourself in your gear. I’m comfortable at this moment grabbing my steel plates and vest with IFAK, admin pouch, and Six 30 round Pmags and running a mile pretty easily. In the end it’s user preference. But I’ve tested an exact copy of my plates and I can rest easily knowing it stopped 325 gr. 500 S&W rounds, multiple M855 rounds, and a 7.62x39 round or two. It was dinged up pretty decently and almost unusable at that point, but I’m sure my internal organs would have been jelly by then anyways. 😂

I’m not pushing hard for the steel, just saying everything has its use. They are heavy little bastards, but do yourself a favor and train with them and you’ll get stronger and used to them. And for the love of god get anti spalling plates and carrier if you go that route.

I don’t know if anyone else here can attest to this, but it seemed like when I used ceramic plates in the army overseas, rapid or frequent changes in drastic environments seemed to effect them in odd ways. I had ceramic plates in bubble wrap crack when they landed at Ft. Bragg after coming from South Korea. Kind of weird but I have seen them save people as well so don’t rule them out!

What's the general consensus on level IV plates from AR500 armor ? Other than they're heavy as all get out. 7.8lbs a piece ! I bought a set and a warrior assualt systems carrier a few years ago before I knew much about this stuff. Still don't know a whole lot but I'm learning.

Right now carrier with plates, 6 rifle mags and three pistol mags (8 round 45acp) weighs 28lbs. And that's all that's on there. Stepped on the scale wearing the carrier and my belt, which has my pistol, 2 more rifle mags, 2 more pistol mags, ifak and a tourniquet and my rifle loaded and it was an additional 50lbs altogether.

Reading through this thread has got me wanting to get another carrier and some lighter plates.

Thats a TON of weight. I’m pretty sure I’m not at 50lbs with full kit (clothes, pc, belt, boots, hat, loaded AR-15, and pistol). Might weigh myself this weekend from dry weight to full “battle ready”.

Mine PC is 14lbs with 3 30 round AR mags, Hesco L210s, a Cliff bar, small admin pouch (notebook, Leatherman Wave, folding knife, pen, sharpie, headphones), and an old Iphone 6 so I can jam out while I train. Even if I added 3 more 30 round mags and a pistol mag of 22 rounds it'd be about 19lbs tops (1 30 round loaded PMAG = 1lb). No clue what my total belt/pc weight is, definitely less than 30lbs total though, including a 32 water bottle and 3.5lb handgun.

My pc is also stupid light though, a BFG Plateminus v2. No molle fabric, just laser cut into the carrier material, simple velcro cummerbund. It is however, very minimalistic, which may be a pro or con depending on what you need.

Combine that pc with plates weighing around 8lbs total, and BFG 10-speed helium 3x mag pouch make for a pretty lightweight set up. I’m a turtle and can still sprint .25m in 1:30m (roughly clock 1:24 unencumbered).

Might want to really evaluate if you NEED 30-06 AP protection. I hedge my bets against it, opting for higher mobility and defense against most 5.56/7.62x39 projectiles.

Reactions: kriller134
I just ordered a set of hesco L210s now I’m waiting for the ferro concepts slickster to come back in stock.

Hey another question on this one.

How much comfort difference is there between single and Multi-curved plates?

Anyone regret getting the single curve?

Why chance it?

sCuIuoC.gif

OMG pony up for multi-curve. I can go on and on, but it's that simple. Your torso is not shaped like a cylinder, so single curve gets really tiresome to wear, and approaches impossible to wear things over the top of it.

With single curve you will end up doing stuff like wearing the plates lower for comfort, which exposes some of your most vital areas.

Safe Life Defense has a soft armor for rate for some rifle rounds that looks promising. Supplement with a plate for higher level of rifle round protection and you might have a versatile system to work with.
Safe Life Defense is not soft armor (well, their primary product) but flexible armor. Like brigandine, scales of little plates in a flexible panel, covered in fabric so it may look like a soft insert, but it is Another Thing.

It also is by some of the people involved in the absolute debacle behind Dragon Skin, and people in the know who have seen the new stuff are leery, at best. I would run far away from this or the several knockoff, fourth-shift, or alternatively-marketed (unclear which) versions. Rigid plates, standalone or ICW is all that exists now.

Last edited:
I’m running RMA Level 3 multi curve plates in an APC for work. It’s fairly light at 4lbs per plate and it feels pretty comfy.. I also have a vest with soft level3a and it’s not as comfy to wear and I feel like it keeps heat trapped in. I definitely prefer wearing the plate carrier.

I didn’t have any issues getting the plates in the APC or any issues with movement. The only somewhat downfall was the lead time on the plates..

Reactions: Rerun7
Hey another question on this one.

How much comfort difference is there between single and Multi-curved plates?

Anyone regret getting the single curve?

A big difference. How big of a difference becomes more clear when you get gassed. Start doing sprints/burpees/rope climbs under a load and when your lungs start heaving you will appreciate the multi curve. I find I can wear the multi-curve with the carrier adjustment a little bit looser but without being too sloppy. You don't know how everything should be adjusted until you put the system and yourself under stress. Just trying things on for comfort and fit won't tell you much.

My 0.02 on some other points... I use steel plates for training. Training gear will go into salt water frequently. I just rinse it off afterwards and could not care less about structural integrity. The First Spear tubes technology makes for the quickest donning/doffing I have found. My training vest is the very affordable First Spear model marketed by SKD with some Spartan plates. It's inexpensive and gets beat to shit as I train in it on most days. The fabric is tough and I have yet to really damage it, but at that price point (and the fact that it's training gear) I would be happy to repair it with duct tape. Then I have the FS AAC with Hesco plates. It's way more expensive and much lighter. The two carriers are set up identically.

Concealable soft armor has its place (I don't have any), but if the situation is such that I am grabbing for armor I won't be giving any thought to how I look. I do have a ceramic plate in my laptop bag/backpack.

Last edited:
Safe Life Defense has a soft armor for rate for some rifle rounds that looks promising. Supplement with a plate for higher level of rifle round protection and you might have a versatile system to work with.
I am incredibly skeptical of their claims. I couldn't find any technical info on their armor and their literature says "even stops 7.62x39!", which is such an easy round to stop that it isn't even used as one of the test rounds in armor rating. Level 3 will stop 7.62x51, so if they're boasting about 7.62x39, I'm thinking their "rifle rated" body armor isn't rated for anything beyond an SKS shooting steel case Wolf.

I bought a set of L210 single curves, put them in a Crye JPC 2.0, put it on, and said "Shit. I should have bought multi-curves." You put single curves on and realize half the weight presses against your pecks, and that there's a huge gap between the top of the plates and your body, both front and rear. Besides that they're fine but I wish I had multi-curves.

I like the JPC, I like that I have protection against the most common rifle in the US, I like that I have 4 rifle mags and a pistol mag and a medical kit and two tourniquets on me. I might add pepper spray.

Almost nothing stops M855A1. Only super specific plates are rated for it like the U210 and a super pricey lvl4 plate, far as the Hesco line goes. Coincidentally some feedback from Nat'l Guard dudes is that they've been issues M855A1, so I guess don't get shot by those guys.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up ordering some multi curve iii+

working on the carrier now but still leaning toward the Crye Airlite. I’ve tried calling them a couple times but does anyone have a reco on tighter vs looser? I’m right between two sizes based on measurements and the plates I have coming are on the thicker side.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in armor for their female half, the only specific option I know of was being developed by Tyr. I don’t remember if it was a production item or prototype. Plates aren’t so comfy on girls but they can wear them. Tyr was working on female specific gear.

I got my plate carrier in now I’m just waiting for my plates from hesco.
4367B354-B688-4F37-A303-D6F95D2E6FA7.jpeg

My daily is a velocity system plate carrier. I went with ballistic cummerbund their pouch hoods 3 AR mags and three small pockets. I keep a leather man small flashlight ear plugs and a protein bar of what ever flavor is in my rig. Hesco stand alone plates.

Reactions: shoobe01
Anyone have a line on a Crye Airlite or a JPC 2.0?

Got plates ordered weeks ago and figured it wasn’t a rush to get the carrier since it would be a while. Wrong decision... I got notification from Crye they are on backorder until January!! So I’m trying to find one...

While knee deep in this conversation, don't forget to cover medical too, it is at least as important. If you carry 6 extra mags and no tourniquet, we will be rat-fucking your gear at some point.

Medical first, then the rest. In my humblest of opinions.

My monkey suit is ceramic plates. Then again, I'm not in a country that ends with a -stan, so if it gets hit 10+ times, I've got other huge problems - more so than ceramic vs steel.

Got plates ordered weeks ago and figured it wasn’t a rush to get the carrier since it would be a while. Wrong decision... I got notification from Crye they are on backorder until January!! So I’m trying to find one...
EBay or used gear dudes on Instagram. You might pay $500 because everyone thinks we’re barreling towards civil war.

I’d give you more places to look but I’m gonna get back to watching dozens of videos of rolling gun battles in American streets.

Reactions: shoobe01

I got a November delivery estimate from Crye. Ordered Monday. IF I'm lucky I'll have carrier and plates just after the election. 🤠

Not holding my breath.😷

Crye has the most accurate ETA system out there. They usually ship on the exact day or right next to it, that they quoted.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I will be surprised if it goes clear to January before hostilities begin to start consuming body bags at an ever accelerating rate.

If youre looking for low-profile, the best carrier I've come across is the Crye LV-MBAV. Uses MBAV cut soft armor inserts as well as SAPI sized plates, and is super comfy. Easy to wear under a jacket or long sleeve shirt.

Downsides:
Only OpTactical sells it and they're always out of stock, because the airsoft kids love this carrier. So they only way to get it is to get raped by scalpers on Ebay.
Plate bag fit is super tight, you gotta use thin plates with it.
You can run a chest placard on it, but I'd suggest getting the A&A Tactical adaptor for it as the Crye chest rig for this carrier is supposedly flimsy (haven't used it)

But a good quick-to-don setup would be this carrier with both the soft armor and plates, and something like a Unity Tactical Clutch belt. Very low profile.

Side Note: I would run the Mbav inserts as handgun threats are fairly common, at least from what we've seen so far in these riots/etc, and running the soft armor lets you get away with running a thinner and lighter ICW LVL IV plate. Plus it's not like you're paying a huge penalty in weight or mobility with the soft armor

Side Note #2: If you're looking for a carrier similar to a JPC, give Javlin Concepts a shot. I'm issued a JPC but I've been wearing a Javlin JAC every day for the past two months. In short, it's an improved version of the JPC, and more importantly, it ships quick lol. Google them and see if it's something you like, and they are always offering discounts, especially if you're a Batt boy. Not trying to shill, but it is something high quality that is available right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Constructor
The prices you're quoting are high. While there are certain manufacturers with items in those price ranges, you don't need to spend that much.

In fact, when I purchased Level IV plates I ordered an extra plate (at $150 a plate) and shot it to see what it could take (Trust but verify). I didn't have any AP rounds, but it stopped 55gr/62gr 5.56 and 7.62 surplus just fine.

The carrier for it was like $60 (Condor Sentry Plate Carrier). It works completely fine. I've run in it, I've done shooting drills with it on. Totally fine.

In total, I believe I spent approximately $1150 for 5 Level IV plates (10x12) and 2 Plate Carriers. The plates are ceramic composite, they are reasonably light. Is it the lightest, high-speed low drag armor in the world, no. Will it stop multiple hits of 5.56 and 7.62? Yes.

The cost for a single plate carrier with 2 level IV plates would have been $500. Even Safe Life Defense has 2 level IV ceramic plates for $315

Safe Lite - 2 Level IV plates for $315. Couple that with a $60 plate carrier and you'd be in for less than $400...better than what I paid.

I am not affiliated with safe life defense, it's just an example of a prominent body armor company selling plates cheap. I'm not talking ceramic armor from "billy bob's backyard armor emporium and chicken wing stand."

You can get pistol rated soft vests on eBay for less than $300, in fact sometimes for less than $200.

OP, don't be scared off by some of the prices that people are throwing around.

You can get rifle inserts for a concealable vest, albeit with much less coverage/protection than a Level 3/4 plate in a carrier. If you're thinking about it at all discretion was kinda yesterday.

Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1k for a quality soft vest and around $3-500 for a carrier and $700+/plate for hard ceramic armor.

If anyone is serious about armor I have a med. long IOTV with tons of Tactical Tailor shit --MAV w/bib, pouches, drop leg holster, drop bag etc.-- and all the add on armor plus lvl.4 ceramic plates for $1300 in the PX (front/rear plates are new/unused, sides were issued). Med. long (fits large fine too) army digital camo. You won't find a better armor and gear haul for $1300 and if it was in multicam I could probably get double that.

If you get used armor, you better know what you're buying and hope the guy you got it from knows how to use/store it or else it's useless. You can take your chances on Ebay and you can screw around xraying plates, just know it costs about as much to xray or gamma shoot a plate as it does to just buy a new one most the time.

As for cost, the most basic decent setup with side plates will still run about $1k all said and done. That's for a basic JPC plate carrier, no soft armor, nothing fancy.

Most of the plates, like AR receivers, are made by a few mfg.'s with the biggest difference being the aggregate that makes up the weight. Kevlar not always so and it's worth mentioning that when it comes to helmets, there's a HUGE difference --a cheap helmet can even be more dangerous than no helmet (sorta like steel plate armor).

I used to wear my multicurves around the house. I switched to Level IV stand-alone single curves and couldn’t stand them. Oh the extra 300% and get multicurves. I once gave an interview to a cop while wearing a BCS carrier with IIIa armor and ESAPIs. He didn’t notice it. He would have seen the single curves.

That said I would either get the Hesco 3810s, U210s or 4800LVs. And you could get the first two for just a little more than the last.

If you run a JPC you can easily hide it under a jacket or even a hoodie

Yep. The Crye JPC is great and not too expensive. Dont get steel plates. M855A1 will smoke 1/2" AR500 steel like it is nothing.

Yep. The Crye JPC is great and not too expensive. Dont get steel plates. M855A1 will smoke 1/2" AR500 steel like it is nothing.
Agreed, JPC is great. Crye quality at average pricing.

M855A1 will defeat most Level IV ceramics, too. That round is no joke.

Yeah I don't know what quality those plates are. There's certainly different qualities of plates out there. With that said, there are Hesco special threat plates with a very thin profile that will stop A1, and there are other plates that stop higher caliber rounds that don't stop A1.

Buy great plates, or be picky about who shoots you :ROFLMAO:

Buy NIJ level 4 rated ceramic from a US mfg. and don't worry about it.

Biggest difference in plates is the weight, the aggregate used to make 'em. And impact resistance.

Bulletproofme.com has some of the best deals on plates that are proven performers. LFT I think is the plate mfg. There is/was a youtube video of one getting just raped and AFTER it took EVERYTHING in the rating, it went on to take a mag of 5.56, AK rounds, .308, buckshot, 9mm, etc. It was insane and I was sold for sure. They have regular and light plates (which ain't that light) but also have the super light ones that carry the same rating --and they cost the same as the super light Hesco plates with the same rating. Probably because they use the same aggregate to get there.

If they have those ratings and don't hold up, you and your family will be the new owners of an armor company. Those ratings are the minimum of what it's supposed to do, not the average or max or to be taken literal. All of 'em should go above and beyond to some degree but no guarantee. The rating IS the guarantee.

For carrier, JPC 2.0. There is no competition, there is no other at that price. Ebay has an AVS for $600 right now though and it comes with Hesco plates. If the plates are good, it's screaming. If the plates are cracked, it's still a good deal for the AVS. For a full on vest, I'd get something with Dyneema instead of kevlar if possible. I think Bulletproofme.com will do all sorts of custom work if requested, including plate armor.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but for this civil unrest and mob shit I think it would be WAY more effective to look like this:
image42.jpg

rather than this:

dscn1571-1.jpg

Honestly, if I was going anywhere near those commie motherfuckers I would want to look exactly like they do, and have no visible weapons on me. I think camouflage would be way more effective than armor. Just IMHO.

When a mob is advancing on your home and you have property and loved ones to protect, dressing like an ANTIFA pussy is only an option for guys who need a hysterectomy. i am securing my property using every means possible. Things like reinforcing doors and windows, adding very visible commercial surveillance cams, motion sensor lights, high & low tech perimeter alarms, unplugging my garage door opener and locking the track, 3 dogs trained to bark every time the see or hear something, access to firearms, family training from fixed defensive positions...everything I can think of. I am reinforcing the upstairs landing with steel in the walls and floor to create a strong defensive firing positions with the narrow stairway being a choke point. If they shoot up through the ceiling from beneath us downstairs, we're still good. I know, I know...seems extreme. Still looking at window films vs bulletproof glass. If we end up in a civil war or BLM/ANTIFA asshats come knocking, I wanna have a plan in place. Better to have it and not need it right?

Today my AR500 Testudo plate carrier arrived and I am questioning the wisdom of mounting pouches and a sidearm holster to it vs a heavy duty tactical belt. If I need to go prone and get low, it's kinda hard with a buncha crap strapped tot he front of your tactical vest. The damn thing is heavy and I hate the way the shoulder straps rub against my neck...not designed for tee shirts, that's for sure. So for you guys in the know who have already gone down this road...what conclusions did you come to? There are pros & cons to everything. I know my wife won't wear a heavy vest just because she can't. She's 61, has bone-on-bone for knees and health issues that make a 25lb vest a problem. Trying to I.D. something different for her while questioning the wisdom of this configuration for my carrier. I welcome all informed opinions offered that might help me better protect the family.

testudopkg.png

Don’t put a plate carrier on your wife. Be real. You’ve got the fantasy football list of doomsday options going on. Alternatively you could go on a camping trip around an area with little BLM presence. I get defending your home, but homes are not literal castles or bunkers. They’ll still burn to the ground. Don’t go too nuts or none of it will be worth it anyway. Your wife can run a chest rig if she wants.

AR500 makes cheap stuff em masse.

My house is not defensible. My grand strategy is rapid retreat. I keep my hysterectomy in my go bag so I won’t forget it. You never know when that shit will save your life.

Something simple like this and loose jacket to toss on over it. III+ or IV ceramics are the way to go. Toss your AR pistol in a non cool looking hippy backpack.

If youre looking for low-profile, the best carrier I've come across is the Crye LV-MBAV. Uses MBAV cut soft armor inserts as well as SAPI sized plates, and is super comfy. Easy to wear under a jacket or long sleeve shirt.

Downsides:
Only OpTactical sells it and they're always out of stock, because the airsoft kids love this carrier. So they only way to get it is to get raped by scalpers on Ebay.
Plate bag fit is super tight, you gotta use thin plates with it.
You can run a chest placard on it, but I'd suggest getting the A&A Tactical adaptor for it as the Crye chest rig for this carrier is supposedly flimsy (haven't used it)

But a good quick-to-don setup would be this carrier with both the soft armor and plates, and something like a Unity Tactical Clutch belt. Very low profile.

Side Note: I would run the Mbav inserts as handgun threats are fairly common, at least from what we've seen so far in these riots/etc, and running the soft armor lets you get away with running a thinner and lighter ICW LVL IV plate. Plus it's not like you're paying a huge penalty in weight or mobility with the soft armor

Side Note #2: If you're looking for a carrier similar to a JPC, give Javlin Concepts a shot. I'm issued a JPC but I've been wearing a Javlin JAC every day for the past two months. In short, it's an improved version of the JPC, and more importantly, it ships quick lol. Google them and see if it's something you like, and they are always offering discounts, especially if you're a Batt boy. Not trying to shill, but it is something high quality that is available right now.
Old thread but the Javlin A JAC has some features that others don't including plates load from top . Before I had to mix bags from one company and cummerbunds from another and placards from another. They aren't advertised much but worth a shot

Old thread but the Javlin A JAC has some features that others don't including plates load from top . Before I had to mix bags from one company and cummerbunds from another and placards from another. They aren't advertised much but worth a shot
Agreed, been running the A JAC now for a long while. It’s a solid system and very comfortable, and has an adaptor in case you wanna use Crye style cummerbunds instead of Velcro/Ferro style cummerbunds. Several guys I work with use the Javlin and it surprised me because Javlin doesn’t do a lot of marketing. The Crye SPC is another good choice, similar to the A JAC in a lot of ways, except you’re kinda locked in to the Crye ecosystem with all its quirks and price tag. I do like the Javlin quick detach pack though and mainly run my Javlin with the SPC as a backup and the Crye LV-MBAV as a low profile option

Reactions: Constructor