• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spiritus LV-119 or T.Rex AC1

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am looking at for some feedback on the Spiritus LV-119 vs the T.Rex AC1. I want a “slicker” plate carrier. I am currently running a MMAC.

My main question is how much heavier is the LV-119 than the AC1. Spiritus doesnt post weights and I do t want or buy a $300 carrier that is just as heavy as my MMAC.

Does anyone have experience with both? I like the Molle and velcro integration on the LV-119 but the ultra light/slick design of the AC1 seems like a good buy.

Thoughts or advice?

I only have extensive usage of the LV-119. Everything I know of the AC1 is second-hand and is largely people mad that the Botkin folks are tied up in some 'Quiverfull' cult in Seiverville, TN and they mislabeled their materials as being Berry-compliant and (allegedly) suffered from sew quality. You take that FWIW - if the weirdos want to be in some cult that's on them.

The AC1 is more comparable to the Ferro Concepts Slickster but largely takes elements from both. It has better shoulder pads and includes the clips versus the Slickster and LV119.

The 119 is likely the same weight - it was noticeably lighter (empty) than my JPC 2.0 which isn't exactly heavy - you'll be fine. Depending on your geometry it may be uncomfortable which is why I've sold every carrier except my JPC and LV-MBAV. On the 119 and AC1 their shoulders are both straight down and if you have bigger traps or a thicker neck it may sit on you at odd angles and hurt.

Feature wise I give the edge to the LV119. Better back panel support from Spiritus and WTFIdea, has more built in features like the map pocket which is nice, has OTB options if you like taking a swim, better color options, better 1st party accessory support, and the cummerbund attachment is superior (if not a little annoying). The only thing I do not like about it is their 3-band cummerbund has no support at all and is like a wet noodle.

I'd get an AXL Equinox, or adapt a MOS Tactical, Crye JPC or Crye AVS/SPS airlite (whichever is the proper affix) to use for it instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! Great info. I do have large traps (I lift 6 days a weeks) and never really thought about this. I will look at the other options before buying. Appreciate the time in writing that post.

Thanks for the feedback! Great info. I do have large traps (I lift 6 days a weeks) and never really thought about this. I will look at the other options before buying. Appreciate the time in writing that post.
For sure. My bad on the typos, reformatted it a bit.

There are things you can do for the shoulders like swapping to A&A Tactical 2x6 mesh padded, using Ferro Concepts shoulder socks off of their FCPCv5, SKD PIG BRIG Mk2s, or QORE IceVents - that is listed in thickness & rigidity.

Trying to use some combination of them may help as well, I've fit the Ferro Socks over A&A Tactical on an old FCPCv5 to get the straps farther from my body. The mesh options definitely need a collared shirt, especially the IceVents, you're neck will get chafed up fierce.

Worth a look at the JPC 2.0 either way - the two-piece Hypalon piece where the shoulders tie into the plate bags are wider so the shoulders sit at a wider angle on you and are more comfortable that way. The LV-MBAV sits about the same as to my knowledge is the lightest carrier out there, I just throw a Spiritus Mk.4 over mine.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, I've been fucking with my gear for work and as a civvy now for the better part of a decade, just want to give you more ideas and ways to fit the gear to you best. Good luck!

For sure. My bad on the typos, reformatted it a bit.

There are things you can do for the shoulders like swapping to A&A Tactical 2x6 mesh padded, using Ferro Concepts shoulder socks off of their FCPCv5, SKD PIG BRIG Mk2s, or QORE IceVents - that is listed in thickness & rigidity.

Trying to use some combination of them may help as well, I've fit the Ferro Socks over A&A Tactical on an old FCPCv5 to get the straps farther from my body. The mesh options definitely need a collared shirt, especially the IceVents, you're neck will get chafed up fierce.

Worth a look at the JPC 2.0 either way - the two-piece Hypalon piece where the shoulders tie into the plate bags are wider so the shoulders sit at a wider angle on you and are more comfortable that way. The LV-MBAV sits about the same as to my knowledge is the lightest carrier out there, I just throw a Spiritus Mk.4 over mine.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, I've been fucking with my gear for work and as a civvy now for the better part of a decade, just want to give you more ideas and ways to fit the gear to you best. Good luck!
No problem. I sincerely appreciate the thorough feedback. Literally looking at the JPC 2.0 now. Ha!

I also only have experience with the LV-119 - wore one for a bit on a trip to Afghanistan a few years back. Im a larger dude, with a thicker neck and traps, and the shoulder straps rubbed my neck pretty good so I ditched it in favor of the issue JPC and then eventually switched to a Javlin Concepts A-JAC, which is basically an improved JPC with a ton of different cummerbund options. Perroz Designs also makes a good carrier if you're looking for something super minimalist, I have owned a couple of them and they're very high quality and have been in use by Canadian and US SOF for a decade or more.

All I've heard about the AC1 is quality control issues.

I also only have experience with the LV-119 - wore one for a bit on a trip to Afghanistan a few years back. Im a larger dude, with a thicker neck and traps, and the shoulder straps rubbed my neck pretty good so I ditched it in favor of the issue JPC and then eventually switched to a Javlin Concepts A-JAC, which is basically an improved JPC with a ton of different cummerbund options. Perroz Designs also makes a good carrier if you're looking for something super minimalist, I have owned a couple of them and they're very high quality and have been in use by Canadian and US SOF for a decade or more.

All I've heard about the AC1 is quality control issues.
Thanks for the feedback. The guy above said something similar about rubbing on the traps/neck. I’m looking more and more at the JPC but will look at the Javlin and Perroz options.

Thanks for the feedback. The guy above said something similar about rubbing on the traps/neck. I’m looking more and more at the JPC but will look at the Javlin and Perroz options.
Yeah the Javlin stuff is nice because it's made by a former Ranger Regiment grunt who took what he didn't like about the gear he was issued and fixed those problems. Very comfortable and flexible, just pricey. But if you're wearing kit for long periods of time, you want it to be comfortable and move with you as you run/crawl/climb etc.

If you want budget friendly, worth a try.

40% off currently; they're a great value at full price

for lightweight load out, they're awesome.

these are great for heavy load outs with whatever PC you're currently running if you don't have something like them already

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I only have extensive usage of the LV-119. Everything I know of the AC1 is second-hand and is largely people mad that the Botkin folks are tied up in some 'Quiverfull' cult in Seiverville, TN and they mislabeled their materials as being Berry-compliant and (allegedly) suffered from sew quality. You take that FWIW - if the weirdos want to be in some cult that's on them.

The AC1 is more comparable to the Ferro Concepts Slickster but largely takes elements from both. It has better shoulder pads and includes the clips versus the Slickster and LV119.

The 119 is likely the same weight - it was noticeably lighter (empty) than my JPC 2.0 which isn't exactly heavy - you'll be fine. Depending on your geometry it may be uncomfortable which is why I've sold every carrier except my JPC and LV-MBAV. On the 119 and AC1 their shoulders are both straight down and if you have bigger traps or a thicker neck it may sit on you at odd angles and hurt.

Feature wise I give the edge to the LV119. Better back panel support from Spiritus and WTFIdea, has more built in features like the map pocket which is nice, has OTB options if you like taking a swim, better color options, better 1st party accessory support, and the cummerbund attachment is superior (if not a little annoying). The only thing I do not like about it is their 3-band cummerbund has no support at all and is like a wet noodle.

I'd get an AXL Equinox, or adapt a MOS Tactical, Crye JPC or Crye AVS/SPS airlite (whichever is the proper affix) to use for it instead.
Im no Trex fan, but the truth is this and that’s all I really care about in the end. the issue with the AC1 actually was they were lied too. They didn’t set out to deceive anyone regarding berry compliance. In fact the AC1’s that were hecho in Mexico, they relabeled to something else and sold them at a discount. Now as far as the current gen, I have no idea but I would not buy one but that’s just me. I would take the spiritus if that’s the only two that are being considered.