• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate carriers

Jkelleghan

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2020
Anybody ever used the agilite k19 plate carrier, I'm looking at it and the london bridge trading 6094, I've not messed with carriers much so I thought some others with experience may be able to lead me in the right direction.

What is your desired use of the carrier? The LBT 6094 has been used all over the world and has a long history of hard use. Can’t go wrong with it. The Mayflower, Velocity, and Crye JPC are also extremely popular.
If you’re looking to grab some lvl 4 plates and a carrier because of the current crisis in our country than any of these carriers will suit your purpose.

the new hot trend is the use of Modular placards / chest rigs via swift clip attachment to the carriers. Swapping out placards based on mission profile.

It is primarily a just in case, I don't have any everyday use for armor but better to have and not need I figure, but if I'm going to bother I want to buy something solid.

You first need to decide what level of protection you want. Pistol vs rifle vs multi hit vs AP etc. after you figure that out then decide what size plate you need, and what cut you want. Only THEN can you pick the carrier. The carrier needs to fit the plates you want.

If you just want armor to throw on while you drive out of a hostile environment then go with a low profile carrier. You don’t need side plates, molle, etc. if you actually want to carrier rifle and pistol mags, IFAK, coms, etc then you’ll want a more substantial carrier like the ones mentioned above.

Reactions: Jkelleghan
Yeah, I'm still trying to decide what I think between a shooters cut and a swimmers cut. As far as plates I thought I'd probably start out with steel, I like the thinner profile plus they're just less expensive.

• Sad
Reactions: Da Jimmer
I knew it could be an issue, but I guess didn't realize to what extent, I was under the impression that ceramic was less tough, would you pick ceramic over poly ? I appreciate your taking time with your responses by the way I have spent some time trying to gather information, unfortunately I have found consistent reliable information somewhat tough to come by.

Yeah, I'm still trying to decide what I think between a shooters cut and a swimmers cut. As far as plates I thought I'd probably start out with steel, I like the thinner profile plus they're just less expensive.
Shooters cut and Swimmers cut are the same thing. These days there are:
- shooter/swimmer
- SAPI (most common)
- ESAPI (see these in the older Army ACU vests)

There really is not that big of a difference between SAPI and shooter. I have shooters. If I could get SAPI at the time I would have done that. There’s way more options for SAPI. Really not gonna differ in mobility.

If it’s just in case, single curve is fine. If it’s all day all week, or if you want to conceal it under a hoodie, get multi curve.

Ceramic is armor. Steel is suicide. You can generally beat the shit out of ceramic and it’s fine.

Pick your armor first, then carrier to fit. I’d either look at a minimalist carrier like the JPC or Slickster styles, or a full torso soft armor carrier with plate inserts (not sure what to recommend there). Or just go with a chest rig at a minimum; a fighting rifle is useless without ammo.

Shooters cut and swimmers cut are not the same thing. Steel is fine as long as you get it coated. No, you can’t beat the shit out of ceramic and while it is durable, try not to drop it on to any hard surface where the edge of the plate will hit the hard surface first.

Here is an example between shooters on the left and swimmers on the right. They are cut much differently and the same size plate provides less protection in the swimmers cut.

1013E1EF-7A8C-44B1-9415-BCD6959F875D.jpeg

Yeah, that's another reason I'm starting to look at carriers, I at least need a chest rig anyway just to carry my crap and practice and drill with, so I figure if I'm going to spend the money either way, it might as well be capable of carrying plates.

Shooters cut and swimmers cut are not the same thing. Steel is fine as long as you get it coated. No, you can’t beat the shit out of ceramic and while it is durable, try not to drop it on to any hard surface where the edge of the plate will hit the hard surface first.

Here is an example between shooters on the left and swimmers on the right. They are cut much differently and the same size plate provides less protection in the swimmers cut.

View attachment 7421832
The cut differs between companies, but most companies use Lesotho identical cuts for swimmer and shooter. Yours is a rare example of them being different. Most of them are what would be called shooters cut even if they’re labeled as swimmers.

Most modern ceramics can be beat hard. Yeah try not to hit them on the edge while you’re carrying the carrier in your hands or storing it. The faces are very durable.

Steel is trash. It’s heavy and you’re relying on the $7.50/hr guy that barely speaks English who is being rushed to produce tons of overtime parts during this huge demand, to have applied the coating perfectly.

What about polyethylene, would it possibly be a better choice than ceramic or steel ?

What about polyethylene, would it possibly be a better choice than ceramic or steel ?
Is light weight and can float, but M855/SS109 blows through it. Figure out what you are trying to defend against and go from there.

mobility is important. Get appropriate sized plates. Too big and they will be up into your neck when you sit or drive. Make sure you can shoulder your rifle comfortably. Get the lightest you can afford. Wearing this shit for hours and hours can wear you out.
Be careful how much shit you put on the front of the carrier. You want to be able to go prone and get low. With copper zipping past your head you just can’t get low enough.

Reactions: bullseye13
Good thoughts and some good truths and advice.
and some bullshit

you can get Hesco single curve Level IV plates for not much more than level III+

Not as nice as multi curve and not horrible.
especially for the not regular user.

Chase Tactical lvl 4 stand alone triple curve shooters cut ceramics are 7.2lbs per plate at $219. Economical option. You’ll spend 3-4x that on some light weight hescos. The lighter the plate the more expensive typically

Anybody ever used the agilite k19 plate carrier, I'm looking at it and the london bridge trading 6094, I've not messed with carriers much so I thought some others with experience may be able to lead me in the right direction.
I ordered a K19 plate carrier a few months ago and it finally shipped last week. I'll let you know how I like them when I get them. I also have Hesco L210 plates for them I got from T-rex arms. They are LVL 3 Special Threat rated. Decently light and offers pretty good protection from most common rounds today. Its ceramic and decently priced.

Last edited:
botach has some lvl4 ceramics for 99 a piece they sell under the brand name of Battle Steel.
mrgunsandgear does a good review of them on youtube.
botach isnt the most popular vendor in some places.
my experiences have left me with no complaints.
my plates showed up 2 weeks after I ordered them.

Remember. If you’re planning for civil unrest you need to match your armor to the threats you’re likely to see. Minimum of AK and AR rounds. But there’s ALOT of hunting rifles in this country shooting high power cartridges. I certainly don’t want taken out by some slap dick and his grandpas deer rifle

Off duty ninja awesome, I'm really curious about that carrier, would love to hear your thoughts on it.
No problem man. I haven't seen much from anyone reviewing these plates but judging by the specs and few things I've seen about them they look really comfy. I'm not an operator or anything special. Just want some armor for when SHTF or larping around my house. Here's a link to the Hesco L210 plates I got. They make sense for the everyday guy.

If you can swing it multicurve is much more comfortable. But you have to decide how long you think you’ll wear this at once. I used to drive across the state wearing plates just to get used to them. Thin multicurves are the bomb. Thick multicurves come next. Thin single curves come after that and in theory there are more options but that’s where I stopped.

Got my K19 in today. First impressions after wearing it around the house for 2 hours. Super comfy. I never worn a plate carrier before but I can honestly say wearing this for the past two hours around my house picking up my kids toys, going up and down stairs several times, chasing my kid around, maneuvering around my kitchen making dinner, and sitting here right now at my dining table eating it feels pretty good. Took a few minutes of adjusting to get it feeling right but adjusting was very easy. Taking it on and off is really easy with the quick release clips. Wearing the two Hesco L210 plates in them feel good and not heavy at all. Again, so far I'm really liking it and I think its worth getting.

botach has some lvl4 ceramics for 99 a piece they sell under the brand name of Battle Steel.
mrgunsandgear does a good review of them on youtube.
botach isnt the most popular vendor in some places.
my experiences have left me with no complaints.
my plates showed up 2 weeks after I ordered them.
Looked up the review after seeing your post, I'd never heard of them. 2lbs lighter than my current plates and turns out they were in stock. Got a set on the way.

Looked up the review after seeing your post, I'd never heard of them. 2lbs lighter than my current plates and turns out they were in stock. Got a set on the way.
Ive got my set, havent had a chance to get shot yet to test them. but so far so good. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: XP1K
Remember. If you’re planning for civil unrest you need to match your armor to the threats you’re likely to see. Minimum of AK and AR rounds. But there’s ALOT of hunting rifles in this country shooting high power cartridges. I certainly don’t want taken out by some slap dick and his grandpas deer rifle

Exactly why I went with Hesco lvl 4 plates.

Botach has been discussed in a few threads here. It is generally not looked upon in a nice light. There are legitimate questions about QC.

Which ones? They make some lvl 4 plates that are special threat rated only

from link about botac above. I just ordered some.

GL
DT

from link about botac above. I just ordered some.

GL
DT

Never heard of them. If they are legit, you got a sweet deal. I paid $165 per plate and still waiting on my backorder after 14 weeks through AT Armor.

Had a discussion on here about Botach just a few weeks ago.

ya not alot of real info in there except people who hate stuff made in china. if people can buy 15000 dollar nvg housings and 5000 thermal monoculars from china with worries of qc, than I think I can deal with a couple chinese plates. Show me a review or article of people actually finding these plates to be suspect ill likely sing another tune. but broad I hate china, china bad as an argument, doesnt affect my buying decision at all. honestly im the opposite, im more inclined to buy something not electronic from china like a ceramic plate opposed to something thats more prone to breaking like a thermal scope.
the old why would you buy anything but the best works for every piece of gear. and im not rich so i pick and choose wheres the best and where I cut corners.
I mean lets be honest. You can probably count on one hand how many civilians actually had their body armor on when they got shot in the chest.
botachs poor reputation appears according to the reviews on BBB is mostly related to taking orders for things they dont have in stock or claiming they have things in stock when they dont. I got my plates in 2 weeks. Ive ordered a couple other things from them this summer. Shipped faster than most during the age of covid.

Just posting up the link because others stated they had never heard of them before and it was just discussed. Far be it from me to tell anyone what they should or should not buy as it’s their money and their decision. With that said, I wore whatever .gov issued us and at some point you need to decide if going with the least expensive option available is actually the best choice. Granted, the routine argument is that you generally get what you pay for is used frequently but you need to stop and ask yourself, why are they so inexpensive?

In the realm of “just as good as”, you can buy a set of plates for $1,000 or you can get a set for $200 and there are definitely reasons why this price gap exists when looking at similar protection levels. While name recognition and place of origin may drive the price up, there are many underlying factors that constitute this differential. Personally, I wear mil spec SAPI plates. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of those trying to “plate up” before the fall of society will never need to test as to whether their financial decision was the right choice in regards to reliable plate performance. If it comes to pass that you never need the vest, you made a smart financial decision. If on the other hand things go sideways, you might regret trying to protect your life with the gear that seemed to be a bargain when it was initially purchased.

Just posting up the link because others stated they had never heard of them before and it was just discussed. Far be it from me to tell anyone what they should or should not buy as it’s their money and their decision. With that said, I wore whatever .gov issued us and at some point you need to decide if going with the least expensive option available is actually the best choice. Granted, the routine argument is that you generally get what you pay for is used frequently but you need to stop and ask yourself, why are they so inexpensive?

In the realm of “just as good as”, you can buy a set of plates for $1,000 or you can get a set for $200 and there are definitely reasons why this price gap exists when looking at similar protection levels. While name recognition and place of origin may drive the price up, there are many underlying factors that constitute this differential. Personally, I wear mil spec SAPI plates. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of those trying to “plate up” before the fall of society will never need to test as to whether their financial decision was the right choice in regards to reliable plate performance. If it comes to pass that you never need the vest, you made a smart financial decision. If on the other hand things go sideways, you might regret trying to protect your life with the gear that seemed to be a bargain when it was initially purchased.
you bring up some valid points. having said that, someone posted a link to hescos for $220 a pair so that would say that either hesco is also making junk or its possible to create a lvl4 plate and keep it profitable at a price point of around $100 bucks a plate. I watched some reviews and saw these plates take black tip 30-06 armor piercing rounds. and thats good enough for me.

I have confidence in Hesco plates. For me, it was either Hesco or Velocity plates. I just stay away from "independently tested under NIJ standards" or "third party tested compliant" ratings. I want the plate to actually be NIJ certified for whatever applicable rating and not just tested to the supposed standard or similar to.

Reactions: D_TROS
Not implying Hesko is junk at all (better testing and certification) but most buying Hesco are looking at level IV plates. If I went with Hesco plates, the plates alone would be close to 14 pounds while my current plates are around 10 pounds (I wear 11”x14” plates) a set. Saving four or five pounds off your chest rig is huge and that weight savings comes at increased cost.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Not implying Hesko is junk at all (better testing and certification) but most buying Hesco are looking at level IV plates. If I went with Hesco plates, the plates alone would be close to 14 pounds while my current plates are around 10 pounds (I wear 11”x14” plates) a set. Saving four or five pounds off your chest rig is huge and that weight savings comes at increased cost.

Yeah, I almost went with the L210 because of weight, but I keep just one mag and a radio in the cummerbund. Everything else is on my belt. The difference in pounds can be lost in other ways like staying in shape lol

Shape has little to do with it. I lost count of how many guys were dumping their winter gear on deployments and buried it in the sand just to drop some weight and then later froze their ass off when the seasons changed because they did not have their gear. Winter sleeping bags seemed to be a popular selection to start with. Talk about a shit load of “combat loss” claims. We were all in great shape but as they say, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain no matter what shape you are in. Weight is weight regardless of how you distribute it. I prefer to carry weight on the upper body rather than my hips as I carry very little on my belt. Might not matter if you only wear the gear for a short time but if you spend some time in it, you will suddenly discover gear you are carrying that you can live without.

Reactions: aslrookie