• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please help me choose a scope. I am stuck

jasonpickett

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
Littlestown, PA
I am stuck between 3 scopes. I really could use the help choosing a scope. I an looking at:

Vortex pst ffp 6-24x50
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
Leupold Mark 4 er/t 6.5-20x50 m1

I will mainly be hunting and target shooting upwards of 1000yrds. My rifle is a savage model 11 7mm-08. Any info would be appreciated. I also know it will be everybody choosing something different but I really want to see what people say and their inputs

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Please help me choose a scope. I am stuck

Im using a Leupold Mark 4 M5 ERT 4.5-14 on my 300winmag and I love it. I wish I had a little more magnification though, so I definitely like the Leupold that you are looking at.

The Vortex Viper PST's seem to get good reviews here.

I know zeiss makes some nice stuff, but I havent looked through their scopes. i have a pair of their binos that are awesome.

have you ever considered the Weaver EDMR FFP 3-15x50 ? I just got one and I like it a lot .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonpickett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Vortex pst ffp 6-24x50 MIL MIL
</div></div>

My pick.

I think CSTactical has some of these in stock.

I just received a Vortex Viper PST ffp 6-24 mil/mil. Very nice scope. Was hoping to mount it this week and site it in next week on my vacation but had to send the new rifle back to Savage. Hope to get it back soon and get started on learning to use the new scope at longer ranges than I'm used to shooting. I also looked at the Sightron 6-24 but ultimately liked the extra features on the Vortex better and their customer service seems to have a great rep here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you ever considered the Weaver EDMR FFP 3-15x50 ? I just got one and I like it a lot . </div></div>

Their 4-20x50mm tactical (standard mil dot reticle) is very good too. I own both and am very pleased with the quality. The EMDR reticle is outstanding. 3-15 has 100moa of elevation and 4-20 has 60moa of elevation so you will definitely need a base with the latter.

Us optics......you can get a pm II and customize it to your likiing.....especially if you are planning on shooting a lot at 1000. Your going to want some good glass for that range. Don't get cheap on optics here.

If you are leaning towards the Leupold I would recommend looking at the M5 line. These have matching turrets. For the price I would recommend the PST line. The Weaver Tactical line are also nice.

Mike @ CST

What about the weaver tactical 4-20x50 ffp. Would you recommend the edmr or the mil-dot. What are the advantages of edmr?

Bro the truth is all this post is going to get you is a lot of opinions. If you have access to some of these scopes then look through them, play with them and see what you think. If you are like me and don't have access to any of these products. Then do your research, read reviews, and look at the stats of the scopes and pick the one you feel is best suited for you. Just my .02 cents because I drove myself crazy trying to pick a scope. I did the same thing with a rifel too lol. In the end it was what fit my budget/what was going to work best for my applications that helped me choose. For me a uso or S&B would be a waste of money, I still need to spend money on training and ammo to practice with before I feel I could use the added benifits of a top of the line glass. Not to say if I just had the extra cash laying around I wouldn't have bought one, of course I would have. As with the rest of these guys this is just my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it. Gl though and for what it is worth I have the Vortex Viper PST and am very pleased with it so far. I had a NF on my TRG and will problay sell my Vortex at some point and go back NF. Not due to the Vortex lacking in any way I just like NF optics.

Yeah that is what I figured. I don't have access to all the scopes. I just mainly want to know what people think and what their opinions are about each scope. I appreciate all the info.

Thing I did was make a list of what options were most important to me. Once you have a budget ammount look at all the best scopes in your budget and see which one most satisfies your list.

For instance mil/mil was the most important thing for me, I wanted to start with a mil/mil scope, period, but for you it may not be as important.
Maybe FFP or exposed turrets or the reticle is the most important feature for you.
This is why it's hard to ask which scope a person will recommend because different people are partial to different options or manufacturers due to their options, CS, durability, ect.

Research is the name of the game here, and when you think you've done enough and you decided you'll find another one to consider.

Good luck in your search, best thing would be to make some friends that shoot around you and ask if you can look through some of the ones your considering before you commit to getting anything.

Vortex has a transferable lifetime warranty and superb customer service. I don't know about the other two.

If glass quality is what you seek, the Zeiss is superior, but it does lack mil knobs, elevation travel, and FFP.

It's been said already but I'll give my .02. I have looked through all 3 though the vortex was of the lower magnification.

I would pick the vortex. It's a GREAT value for ftp and all the other trimmings. The other 2 are charging a lot for the name.... They are not bad and have more experience in the market but to me its less value.

I will also mention that I would not go with so high of a magnification if you want 1000 yards of shooting. The lower mag offerings of the same scope will get you much more IMHO. It's not conventional perhaps but I've never been out needing more magnification, but you can be in tons where you need less.

Just my .02

I just got done looking at all the scopes above and decided to build my own ST-10 with the options I wanted. Even going to TVP when possible I don't take that many shots past 1000 yards so the 10x is plenty of magnification. I was behind a SN3 set at 12x and could easily see the mile target better than my SS at 16x. Also on the SS I was getting nasty mirage and got none in the USO. Also the vortex 4-16 I was behind was cloudy in comparison. That's why i went the way i did but your the one that has to be happy with it so you need to decide what options are important to you.

Good luck,
Merritt

Mworseberry went a similar route.

I ended up with a USO that is being built to my specifications right now. I my friend owns a vortex and its good. If it has what you need/want go for it. As for me, I spent my whole rifle and scope savings on the scope. I just know I will never be left wanting and if I ever want to sell it, its going to really hold value and be able to sell quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SheepsClothes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I will also mention that I would not go with so high of a magnification if you want 1000 yards of shooting.</div></div>

You can turn a high mag scope down you know. As long as the physical dimensions and features jive with what you need I would go with a higher mag every time...

You can't turn a 5x25 down lower than 5. To me in almost all scopes the FOV is then comprisesed.

For hunting unless its all in a plains area 5x with the lower FOV he will have is a huge hinderance. If it was 100% paper and you really wanted to have the extra magnification then its great. In any wooded area however 5x is a Hell of a lot of power. I would say its easier to hit 1000 yards with a max of 14 or so, than to get a good sight on a whitetail less than 100 yards away with a min power of 5.

yMMv